wazua Mon, May 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
Investing in your 20s
Multipod
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:08:59 PM

Hi guys

I'm in my 20s, looking for the best way to invest my money. So far, I've bought land, I have 2 term policies, I'm in a chama where we contribute quite a good amount of cash monthly (but don't know what to do with it). I feel I should be doing more but I don't know where to start since I don't have a financial background. Stocks are an unchartered territory for me. I'd really love to acquire a house before I turn 30 but the mortgage threads here are quite discouraging. I have a monthly salary and varying allowances from work travel.

For those with more financial experience, what should I do? I'm open to taking more risks but I'm wary of people taking advantage of my naivety.

Heeeelp!
Swenani
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:41:53 PM

Multipod wrote:
Hi guys

I'm in my 20s, looking for the best way to invest my money. So far, I've bought land, I have 2 term policies, I'm in a chama where we contribute quite a good amount of cash monthly (but don't know what to do with it). I feel I should be doing more but I don't know where to start since I don't have a financial background. Stocks are an unchartered territory for me. I'd really love to acquire a house before I turn 30 but the mortgage threads here are quite discouraging. I have a monthly salary and varying allowances from work travel.

For those with more financial experience, what should I do? I'm open to taking more risks but I'm wary of people taking advantage of my naivety.

Heeeelp!

First lesson in investing is losing money! So find a way on how to lose money first before thinking of investing
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Multipod
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 4:46:46 PM

Swenani wrote:
Multipod wrote:
Hi guys

Heeeelp!

First lesson in investing is losing money! So find a way on how to lose money first before thinking of investing

What do you mean by losing money?
aljazeera
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 5:43:45 PM

[/quote]

[/quote]Shame on you d'oh!

What do you mean by losing money?[/quote]

From another post ;@sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
wazuans are too political, fence sitting always wants to be on the safe side.
give @lidarmama friend advice.

Don't scare people off their ambitions and interest.if 'you' have 'made it',encourage others to do so too positively.
A Theory of Everything.
murchr
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 6:07:20 PM

So many pple like you have posted stuff here just dig up wazua
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
MaichBlack
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 6:08:15 PM

Swenani wrote:
Multipod wrote:
Hi guys

Heeeelp!

Eish!!! What kind of advice is this???

@Multipod - Don't listen to such advice at all!!! I don't know where it comes from.

You don't have to lose money to make money. There are many people who have made it without losing money!!! Granted, when you start investing there are always possibility of losing money but it is not a rule!!!

Buy more land. It doesn't matter where. If it is a good deal, buy it. You are not planning to settle there or develop the plot. You can always sell the land later to finance other ventures. Learn about stock trading - this is a nice place to start. Go through numerous threads and you will learn stuff you would never have learnt in any University. In the meantime you can put your money in low risk instruments like T bills etc. Once you understand the stock market you can get in pole pole. At the right time. Tell your chama members to seek financial advice from a professional. Someone who can advice you how you can profitably invest your money. Or all of you can research. Heck, start a thread here - with specifics like how much money we are talking about, your goals as a chama etc. - and you get free advice pap!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 6:09:49 PM

murchr wrote:

Nice advice. Search the site using key words like investment for begginers, How to invest etc.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Multipod
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 7:17:42 PM

murchr wrote:

The thing is, I've been reading up on different threads here and I'm overwhelmed. I always leave feeling more confused than informed.
Multipod
#9 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 8:00:03 PM

@MaichBlack Thanks for the advice. Now, of course land is good but it reaches a point where what you can afford (or afford to take a loan for) is really far from your area of operation/residence. That makes it hard to follow up on it, issues for squatters, land grabbers etc. How do you deal with that?

sparkly
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 8:59:01 PM

enyands
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 10:47:53 PM

Multipod wrote:
@MaichBlack Thanks for the advice. Now, of course land is good but it reaches a point where what you can afford (or afford to take a loan for) is really far from your area of operation/residence. That makes it hard to follow up on it, issues for squatters, land grabbers etc. How do you deal with that?

Check plots sold by reputable sacco like stima investment sacco or sic.co.ke. just ngoogle .is hard to get land grabbers dealing with them. Some have titles ready.
Gathige
#12 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:38:44 AM

enyands wrote:
Multipod wrote:

Check plots sold by reputable sacco like stima investment sacco or sic.co.ke. just ngoogle .is hard to get land grabbers dealing with them. Some have titles ready.

@enyands, Saccos normally load a premium on the plots they sell to heh members. With proper due diligence, which is easy to do, one can get better deals by buying direct too. I once checked where a Sacco was selling an quarter for 400k and found out that was he price for half an acre within the same neighborhood.

For starters though, the Saccos can be a good starting point.
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
enyands
#13 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 6:10:15 AM

Gathige wrote:
enyands wrote:
Multipod wrote:

@enyands, Saccos normally load a premium on the plots they sell to heh members. With proper due diligence, which is easy to do, one can get better deals by buying direct too. I once checked where a Sacco was selling an quarter for 400k and found out that was he price for half an acre within the same neighborhood.

For starters though, the Saccos can be a good starting point.

Now iv learnt something new .thanks though
Multipod
#14 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:34:29 PM

Now, there's this thing of borrow more to earn more. While others say that you should use the money you have to build yourself. Should I take a loan amd invest that money in the T-bills and bonds and the stock market or should I use the cash I already have?
sitaki.kujulikana
#15 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 12:54:28 PM

You are an interesting person, even under online anonymity, you still find it hard to mention your exact age 20s could be 20 or 29.

you also find it hard to mention the income you get, how are you going to be helped if you fail to mention that.

Tell your exact age, the monthly income, and the work you do. someone may have made it in a situation similar and can give advice based on factual events, otherwise you will just get theoretical advice which you can get in any business book.

I have always felt the biggest advantage of forums is you get to tap into practical experience that you can not gain without going through the same for a longer period.
MaichBlack
#16 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:20:51 PM

Multipod wrote:
Now, there's this thing of borrow more to earn more. While others say that you should use the money you have to build yourself. Should I take a loan amd invest that money in the T-bills and bonds and the stock market or should I use the cash I already have?

Use your money for now!!!

The day you will have spectacular ideas (properly analyzed and tested) that can make enough money to pay the interest and leave you with a truckload of money, then you can start leveraging on other people's money (loans).

One thing about loans, you must be sure what you want to do with the money WILL be able to pay the interest at the bare minimum!!!
grahamsdisciple
#17 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:24:58 PM

The best advice I received is to ensure that you have at least a year of living expenses saved up in a savings account or money market fund. Once this is done you can invest with more confidence. Find an area that suits you and work on it. In your 20's the greatest return on investment are found in Human Capital therefore invest in professional training programs, learn a new language and take up further studies if possible.

Therefore, create a solid financial base for contingencies and rainy days then invest in yourself and find something/an area of investment that works for you. Most people think investing is only stocks, bonds or land however there are a million other areas.
Multipod
#18 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 1:45:12 PM

grahamsdisciple wrote:
The best advice I received is to ensure that you have at least a year of living expenses saved up in a savings account or money market fund. Once this is done you can invest with more confidence. Find an area that suits you and work on it. In your 20's the greatest return on investment are found in Human Capital therefore invest in professional training programs, learn a new language and take up further studies if possible.

Therefore, create a solid financial base for contingencies and rainy days then invest in yourself and find something/an area of investment that works for you. Most people think investing is only stocks, bonds or land however there are a million other areas.

I have actually never thought of it that way. I need to invest in myself. Lakini, wueh! 1 years worth! That's a lot!
MatataMingi
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 3:51:16 PM

Multipod wrote:

NEVER ever borrow money to invest in T- Bills & bonds or the stock market. Your returns would be lower than the interest paid on the borrowed money.
Read some of the threads here BEFORE you do something stupid that you will regret and lose money on.
grahamsdisciple
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 4:41:42 PM

Multipod wrote:
grahamsdisciple wrote:

I have actually never thought of it that way. I need to invest in myself. Lakini, wueh! 1 years worth! That's a lot!

It depends on your employability, usually it's 6 months worth of expenses but Kenya is looking volatile nowadays so let's say a year. Honestly, there's nothing worse than having to liquidate investments at huge discounts due to cash flow problems.