wazua Sun, Apr 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Cost of building a bungalow
AntonyM
#1 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 1:29:12 PM

Hey Wazuans,
I would want to built a 3 bedroom bungalow, master en-suite along Kangundo road in the coming year. But I don't have lots of free time to oversee the project and all and I don't want to keep procrastinating. I am thinking of hiring a company to do the job for me (of course at a fee). If you have experience on this kind of arrangement, how much is it? What should I be expecting from the company? And if you are an architect who does the job, I'd love to hear from you. @a4architect, I would love to hear from you. And of course other professionals in the industry. I quotation and a rough estimate would be great.
Impunity
#2 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 1:59:11 PM

Built?
Thats so difficult, utaweza kweli?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

nakujua
#3 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 2:08:46 PM

For a 3 bed bungalow there is no need for involving a company/architect, just get the plans approved - go to the area and ask the guys with houses in the vicinity for the fundi who did their houses, sit with the fundi and chart a way forward.

Sand and quarry stones are well priced those sides.

Otherwise the architects will laugh you out of the village.
Mtublack
#4 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 2:41:20 PM

try a labour contract with a competent mason or an upcoming contractor- where you source the materials yourself , if possible have a technical person to pass by ones in awhile at a fees to ensure the quality of work is good
but first have the drawings approved and involve a professional there is nothing like a small project get the preliminaries straight
Some you win some you lose
premio
#5 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 3:59:58 PM

@a4arthitect clearly said he handles big commercial, residential and gated community projects where his cut is several times bigger than the average single dwelling unit but quite good advice go look around not neccesarily around that area for an ongoing construction that looks good select 3 guys compare rates engage one. Buy everthing an negotiate a labour contract
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.
4eva eva
#6 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 4:15:06 PM

premio wrote:
@a4arthitect clearly said he handles big commercial, residential and gated community projects where his cut is several times bigger than the average single dwelling unit but quite good advice go look around not neccesarily around that area for an ongoing construction that looks good select 3 guys compare rates engage one. Buy everthing an negotiate a labour contract
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

Once you have the drawings, look at the slab/floor area and multiply by 15-25k to get the approximate cost
Bigchick
#7 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 4:49:37 PM

4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

Once you have the drawings, look at the slab/floor area and multiply by 15-25k to get the approximate cost

This 15k-25k remains a puzzle to me.Just finished something(stonework) and cost is already way past this yet am 60% done.
I have done the sourcing na kadhalika and am not easy to con...yet imekataa.

Unless I do not understand that calculation.

Meanwhile when ready let me know.(for a good fundi)
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
4eva eva
#8 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 6:43:50 PM

Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

This 15k-25k remains a puzzle to me.Just finished something(stonework) and cost is already way past this yet am 60% done.

To know where the rain started beating you, please break down
your expenses and the type of structure you are putting Up and the duration of the construction to date.P.S Kujenga pole pole is costly
aljazeera
#9 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2015 7:15:31 PM

Sad Pray
Impunity wrote:
Built?
Thats so difficult, utaweza kweli?

A Theory of Everything.
Iganamagana
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 9:19:51 AM

4eva eva wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

your expenses and the type of structure you are putting Up and the duration of the construction to date.P.S Kujenga pole pole is costly

It shouldn't be. The rate was valid way back in 2008. I was then give a rate of 20k but it ended up being 25k. I belief if the fundis stole from me, it is very little since nilisimama hapo most of the time and even chased away a few lazy and rogue ones. I however factored in everything including my own fuel when in search of fittings and material. Lakini hii kujenga sio mchezo. Unaweza pata grey hair.
Boris Boyka
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 10:43:59 AM

Iganamagana wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

It shouldn't be. The rate was valid way back in 2008. I was then give a rate of 20k but it ended up being 25k. I belief if the fundis stole from me, it is very little since nilisimama hapo most of the time and even chased away a few lazy and rogue ones. I however factored in everything including my own fuel when in search of fittings and material. Lakini hii kujenga sio mchezo. Unaweza pata grey hair.

I agree with @Bigshik,the current costs of building in urban areas ranges 35-50k (avg 40k) depending on finishes. In rural where materials/labour are cheaper or subsidized its 25-35k(avg 30k)
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Boris Boyka
#12 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 10:50:32 AM

Iganamagana wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

I agree with @Bigshik,the current costs of building in urban areas ranges 35-50k (avg 40k) depending on finishes. In rural where materials/labour are cheaper or subsidized its 25-35k(avg 30k)
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
nakujua
#13 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 12:48:04 PM

There was a thread for a bungalow in syokimau at around 400k, but I remember even @4architect had a budget bungalow design that cost around 800k.

I still think one can get a decent house at around 15k, but at the end of the day with a house it depends on the tastes that the owner wants, and what one considers a finished house, to some a house without tiles or a gypsum ceiling or granite kitchen tops is not finished.

For @AntonyM you could try out the koto housing guys, they seem to put up houses very fast, which might be good for your situation.
4eva eva
#14 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 1:53:35 PM

nakujua wrote:
There was a thread for a bungalow in syokimau at around 400k, but I remember even @4architect had a budget bungalow design that cost around 800k.

I still think one can get a decent house at around 15k, but at the end of the day with a house it depends on the tastes that the owner wants, and what one considers a finished house, to some a house without tiles or a gypsum ceiling or granite kitchen tops is not finished.

For @AntonyM you could try out the koto housing guys, they seem to put up houses very fast, which might be good for your situation.

Here in Mombasa when you have a fairly level piece of land of which the ground is coral rock, we only excavate to accommodate 2 courses of foundation walling, for the strip foundation we replace concrete with demolition waste and add 2 inches of blinding to level the surface(A 5tonne truck of demolition waste is around 4-5k).This method can also be used in areas where there is no rock underneath the ground and the land is flat but foundation walling will be 4 courses. For walling we replace the normal 52 bob grade 2 stone with a 26 bob stone(mawe ni mawe), we use pit sand found locally instead of importing river sand from malindi, simiti ni rhino instead of bamburi(cheaper by about 40 bob), floor slab ni 4 inches instead of 6inches(kazi ya slab ni kubeba dead load(furniture)).The above and many other tips can greatly reduce your cost per sqm
AntonyM
#15 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 3:04:47 PM

nakujua wrote:

How are the koto guys in terms of their houses? How durable are they? I don't just want to patch up materials that look nice on the outside but badly done on the inside.
businesspundit
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 3:48:41 PM

You say you multiply slab area by 25k, 35k.. e.t.c
q1.) This slab area, is it in meters or feet?
q2) if you want to to 2 storey, do you just multiply by 2?
Gatheuzi
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 7:13:59 PM

businesspundit wrote:

The area is in square meters. For any floor you add, count that separately.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
businesspundit
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2015 11:36:56 PM

Gatheuzi wrote:
businesspundit wrote:

The area is in square meters. For any floor you add, count that separately.

Thanks,

If I want to construct two storey, how do I calculate that?
hardwood
#19 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 8:19:34 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

Nearly every teacher in the rural areas has a 3bdrm bungalow. So how do they manage to build at 30k per sqm since 150sqm would come to 4.5m?
4eva eva
#20 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2015 10:52:03 AM

hardwood wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
4eva eva wrote:
premio wrote:
Foundation
Walling
Roofing
Plaster
Fittings
Etc.

Nearly every teacher in the rural areas has a 3bdrm bungalow. So how do they manage to build at 30k per sqm since 150sqm would come to 4.5m?

Hehe, some people don't gerrit