wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<23456>»
Friday 27th is therefore my leave day!!!!!!!
Anti_Burglar
#61 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:03:22 AM

Never mind.
kyt
#62 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:07:30 AM

hardwood wrote:
When an englishman speaks the language of his forefathers, his mothertongue, his first language, he's deemed civised. Same with a german, frenchman, mswahili, japanese, muhindi etc when they speak their own languages. But when a kikuyu speaks the language of his ancestors, his first language, he's deemed jinga and shenzi. Why should a kikuyu be expressing himself in the language of the englishmen and waswahili? Aren't all men equal and and so are their languages?

That's the point! I actually don't understand why our athletes have to struggle speaking English, waongee kiswahi ama kikale. Wazungu watatafuta wa kalimani.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
marko
#63 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:26:13 AM

murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

@Hamburglar,refusing to speak your mothertoungue is STUPID....ni ujinga tu!

How is it stupid? It would help if you didn't just hurl empty insults.

Actually, i don't refuse to speak my mother tongue, my issue is that i can't speak a lick of Kikuyu to save my lfe and i am very ok with it. I have done well for myself in life without knowing how to speak Kiuk so i don't see where knowing how to speak Kikuyu in my journey through life would have helped me move forward.

On the contrary, it would have probably held me back and made me a tribal idiot like so many Kiuks i see walking around lying to themselves that they are superior to other tribes because the president is from their tribe and mara sijui they are the majority, sijui they are rich, and a bunch of other delusional crap. I dodged a bullet on that front and i am glad am not one of those imbeciles. Besides, had i been fluent in Kikuyu, i still wouldn't speak it in public, maybe it's just me but some things just seem retrogressive and don't add any value to my life. If somebody is Kiuk and can converse in Swahili or English, then that's what we will converse in, i don't care what they think about me.

I was born in a cosmopolitan city (Nairobi), been lucky to travel extensively and growing up, had friends from all tribes with who we spoke Swahili and English and got along very very well. Am not about to change that innocent approach to life now that am older and suddenly start spewing Kikuyu hate with other Kikuyus towards other tribes that were my childhood friends. It's primitive, disrespectful, and yes STUPID. Hiyo Swenani ndio ujinga ile kubwa. smile

Quote:
A lot of people from my tribe get pissed off at me when they talk to me in Kiuk and i answer in English, i refuse to be a tribal neanderthal. If you can't speak a language that everybody understands then don't talk to me in your language. I don't have any apologies to make because i am not a people pleaser and i will not entertain tribal bigotry.

These ethnic tribes and languages are primitive, how do they even help anybody in this globalized world? Style up people, just coz am Kiuk does not mean that i receive a monthly stipend in the mail. The percentage of Kiuks who benefit from a Kiuk presidency is something like 0.00001. The rest of us have to earn a living like every other tribe in Kenya. C'mon guys, let's step into the 21st century already. Quit with the tribal BS.

I'm not hurling insults but I still insist that that's very primitive and stupid way of thinking and looking at ethnic languages(see your stupid highlighted in red above). Who said you can't speak kikuyu, swahili and English. The only issue is when you use your native language in a public cosmopolitan place.

It doesn't make sense to go to an interior remote place in central and start talking to people in English or Swahili, that's not intelligent but stupid and primitive.

Swenani, kwani how early did you start drinking today? You are disputing common sense. Anybody with half a brain knows that you can't speak English or Swahili to some guka deep in shaggs that doesn't understand it. You have to weigh the situation and deduce from it. That is common sense.

When you speak Turkana it doesnt make you a tribal, I have met someone who doesnt speak his native language because he grew up in Nairobi yet voted someone in last elections just because they come from the same tribe.

Well, that's not tribal, that's just being an idiot. There is no other way you can classify such idiocy. Some people are just born idiots, whether they can speak their mother tongue or not is secondary.

Not everyone who speaks their native language is a tribal but some people who can't speak their native languages are tribal

I didn't say people who speak their mother tongues are tribal, i said that people who speak their mother tongue when people of other tribes and nationalities are present are the tribal idiots.

Speaking my language is stupid? That's the most ridiculously statement i have read in wazua in a while. Ati when your relas speak in your mother-tongue you respond in English? That's utter foolishness and self hate. However much you wish, you shall carry that tag of being a Kyuk, Luo, luhya etc The people who you so wish to copy...am assuming the English man in this case, is teaching his children several languages because apparently that helps the brain development. Ujinga galore

Am a realist, i only align myself with things that add value to my life. Whether you want to call it colonial mentality or not, it doesn't matter to me, if it's beneficial then i will do it. Knowing how to read and write English is the reason i am where i am today, and i am rich. Lol. My mother tongue has never added any value in my life, infact i can't even speak it and i don't care.

Mother tongue has no place in a civilized society. It's because of mother tongues that Kenyans are so tribal. This world is a global village, if you can't communicate in English in today's Kenya (not the Kenya of our parents) then get ready to live in poverty, unless you are pastor Nganga and can con your way to riches. It's reality, some languages have absolutely no value in a civilized society. If something doesn't help me then i don't need it in my life. I don't have any self hate, i don't identify myself as a Kikuyu so i can feel proud of my heritage, i identify myself as a Kenyan and i say that to those imbeciles who ask you what tribe you are the first time you meet them. What does it matter what tribe i am from? Isn't just being Kenyan good enough? Do i need to reveal am Kiuk so that they can choose if we can be friends or not? That is a sad way to make friends. If you ask me what tribe i am i will tell you i am Kenyan. Full stop. Stupid tribes only serve to divide us more than they unite us and the sooner we get rid of them the better our children will get along in the future.

Oh, and since you are so proud of your mother tongue, next time you go for a job interview, answer the questions in Kikuyu or Luo and see if you get the job. As much as you want to say that English is a colonial language, the fact is, you can't live and be successful without knowing how to read and write English, whether you like it or not, English is here to stay, but on the flip side, you can be very successful without ever uttering a word of your mother tongue. I am testament to that fact.

So, hate "Colonial" English all you want and call me a colonized mind but facts are facts and you have also used the same English to get to where you are today. Let's keep it real, mother tongues are useless in today's society, they serve absolutely no purpose in a civilized world. If anything, they are detrimental and are a main reason why Kenya and Africa is full of tribalism and genocides.

You are just colonized and enslaved and not a realist because no matter how much you try to sanitize your identity your tribe sticks with you for as long as you live, its like body odor, you dont smell it but you are constantly thinking about it and making that conscious decision to not speak it so that you detach yourself from it. You would rather read and learn someone else mother tongue to "fit in". Because after all, that's how you became "rich" Well and good if it doesn't make you money now, but it is mother tongue that made companies like Equity to make it when the English banks such as Stanchart and Barclays threw out those who couldn't speak the queen's language. Look at them now....have you read the papers lately? Its the same tongue that is causing Macharia of Citizen to laugh all the way to the bank. So its foolish to think someone else's mother tongue is more valuable just because its enabled to make you money, there's more in life than paper...

Just for your education purposes, man will forever be divided, if its not tribe, it will be race, or religion, nationalities or party affiliations. Even in Somalia where they have only one tribe, they find differences in their clans. Travel, and you will notice the Asians (those we call Chinese here) also find differences in their eyes, mouths...dynasties etc...then you will realize that indeed you are a complete fool

@Hamburgler. I've been reading your posts and I think it is either you have never been exposed to culture or you just too ignorant to understand what culture is all about. Mashing up culture and democracy, politics is not very fair on either. Culture is about a way of life, societal identity. Democracy is about government et al. Kenyans don't fight because of ethnic identity, they fight because politicians who, like you, have no respect for cultural identity use other equally ignorant people to get ahead politically. Culture is not about making you rich, it is about understanding where you came from, where your ancestors came from. Knowing about your culture does not make you rich. It does not make you poor either. A sense of belonging gives you a sense of community. I am sure with all your riches you still have a community you belong to. Not because they make you rich but because they make you belong. For example, the Irish migrated to the US from the 19th century, and up to now they still have a sense of cultural belonging. So much so that St. Patricks day parade is done in New York, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world. All modern age American presidents travel to Ireland to appeal to the Irish Americans back home because the Irish culture is so strong there. Even Obama claims to have Irish roots. d'oh! d'oh! d'oh! I find it odd that you are most probably a second or third generation from the day the pink skin landed on our land and you have already written off your culture as useless, backward and of no monetary value to you. What are your values then? Capitalism? Does everything you do have a monetary aspect to you? If the answer to the latter is yes, then you and ATM are one and the same thing.
WHO DARES WINS
marko
#64 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:31:02 AM

masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
As the Wahenga said, muacha mila ni mtumwa.

I would have loved to have some of these wahengas showing up over here!! the y would be shocked! somehow we tend to think of these wahangas as all wise people kumbe they were fishermen who never travelled 200kms away from their homes. Maybe back then it was useful to have a cultural identity.... right now? it's as useful as fresh breath is to a telephone operator.

@Masukuma. Most of the modern day wahengas I am sure you revere, the Machiavelli's, Plato's, Socrates, Da Vincis, Newtons etc etc never travelled more than 200 kms out of their villages.
WHO DARES WINS
hamburglar
#65 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:36:35 AM

murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Actually, i don't refuse to speak my mother tongue, my issue is that i can't speak a lick of Kikuyu to save my lfe and i am very ok with it. I have done well for myself in life without knowing how to speak Kiuk so i don't see where knowing how to speak Kikuyu in my journey through life would have helped me move forward.

On the contrary, it would have probably held me back and made me a tribal idiot like so many Kiuks i see walking around lying to themselves that they are superior to other tribes because the president is from their tribe and mara sijui they are the majority, sijui they are rich, and a bunch of other delusional crap. I dodged a bullet on that front and i am glad am not one of those imbeciles. Besides, had i been fluent in Kikuyu, i still wouldn't speak it in public, maybe it's just me but some things just seem retrogressive and don't add any value to my life. If somebody is Kiuk and can converse in Swahili or English, then that's what we will converse in, i don't care what they think about me.

I was born in a cosmopolitan city (Nairobi), been lucky to travel extensively and growing up, had friends from all tribes with who we spoke Swahili and English and got along very very well. Am not about to change that innocent approach to life now that am older and suddenly start spewing Kikuyu hate with other Kikuyus towards other tribes that were my childhood friends. It's primitive, disrespectful, and yes STUPID. Hiyo Swenani ndio ujinga ile kubwa. smile

Quote:
A lot of people from my tribe get pissed off at me when they talk to me in Kiuk and i answer in English, i refuse to be a tribal neanderthal. If you can't speak a language that everybody understands then don't talk to me in your language. I don't have any apologies to make because i am not a people pleaser and i will not entertain tribal bigotry.

These ethnic tribes and languages are primitive, how do they even help anybody in this globalized world? Style up people, just coz am Kiuk does not mean that i receive a monthly stipend in the mail. The percentage of Kiuks who benefit from a Kiuk presidency is something like 0.00001. The rest of us have to earn a living like every other tribe in Kenya. C'mon guys, let's step into the 21st century already. Quit with the tribal BS.

I'm not hurling insults but I still insist that that's very primitive and stupid way of thinking and looking at ethnic languages(see your stupid highlighted in red above). Who said you can't speak kikuyu, swahili and English. The only issue is when you use your native language in a public cosmopolitan place.

It doesn't make sense to go to an interior remote place in central and start talking to people in English or Swahili, that's not intelligent but stupid and primitive.

Swenani, kwani how early did you start drinking today? You are disputing common sense. Anybody with half a brain knows that you can't speak English or Swahili to some guka deep in shaggs that doesn't understand it. You have to weigh the situation and deduce from it. That is common sense.

When you speak Turkana it doesnt make you a tribal, I have met someone who doesnt speak his native language because he grew up in Nairobi yet voted someone in last elections just because they come from the same tribe.

Well, that's not tribal, that's just being an idiot. There is no other way you can classify such idiocy. Some people are just born idiots, whether they can speak their mother tongue or not is secondary.

Not everyone who speaks their native language is a tribal but some people who can't speak their native languages are tribal

I didn't say people who speak their mother tongues are tribal, i said that people who speak their mother tongue when people of other tribes and nationalities are present are the tribal idiots.

Speaking my language is stupid? That's the most ridiculously statement i have read in wazua in a while. Ati when your relas speak in your mother-tongue you respond in English? That's utter foolishness and self hate. However much you wish, you shall carry that tag of being a Kyuk, Luo, luhya etc The people who you so wish to copy...am assuming the English man in this case, is teaching his children several languages because apparently that helps the brain development. Ujinga galore

Am a realist, i only align myself with things that add value to my life. Whether you want to call it colonial mentality or not, it doesn't matter to me, if it's beneficial then i will do it. Knowing how to read and write English is the reason i am where i am today, and i am rich. Lol. My mother tongue has never added any value in my life, infact i can't even speak it and i don't care.

Mother tongue has no place in a civilized society. It's because of mother tongues that Kenyans are so tribal. This world is a global village, if you can't communicate in English in today's Kenya (not the Kenya of our parents) then get ready to live in poverty, unless you are pastor Nganga and can con your way to riches. It's reality, some languages have absolutely no value in a civilized society. If something doesn't help me then i don't need it in my life. I don't have any self hate, i don't identify myself as a Kikuyu so i can feel proud of my heritage, i identify myself as a Kenyan and i say that to those imbeciles who ask you what tribe you are the first time you meet them. What does it matter what tribe i am from? Isn't just being Kenyan good enough? Do i need to reveal am Kiuk so that they can choose if we can be friends or not? That is a sad way to make friends. If you ask me what tribe i am i will tell you i am Kenyan. Full stop. Stupid tribes only serve to divide us more than they unite us and the sooner we get rid of them the better our children will get along in the future.

Oh, and since you are so proud of your mother tongue, next time you go for a job interview, answer the questions in Kikuyu or Luo and see if you get the job. As much as you want to say that English is a colonial language, the fact is, you can't live and be successful without knowing how to read and write English, whether you like it or not, English is here to stay, but on the flip side, you can be very successful without ever uttering a word of your mother tongue. I am testament to that fact.

So, hate "Colonial" English all you want and call me a colonized mind but facts are facts and you have also used the same English to get to where you are today. Let's keep it real, mother tongues are useless in today's society, they serve absolutely no purpose in a civilized world. If anything, they are detrimental and are a main reason why Kenya and Africa is full of tribalism and genocides.

You are just colonized and enslaved and not a realist because no matter how much you try to sanitize your identity your tribe sticks with you for as long as you live, its like body odor, you dont smell it but you are constantly thinking about it and making that conscious decision to not speak it so that you detach yourself from it. You would rather read and learn someone else mother tongue to "fit in". Because after all, that's how you became "rich" Well and good if it doesn't make you money now, but it is mother tongue that made companies like Equity to make it when the English banks such as Stanchart and Barclays threw out those who couldn't speak the queen's language. Look at them now....have you read the papers lately? Its the same tongue that is causing Macharia of Citizen to laugh all the way to the bank. So its foolish to think someone else's mother tongue is more valuable just because its enabled to make you money, there's more in life than paper...

Just for your education purposes, man will forever be divided, if its not tribe, it will be race, or religion, nationalities or party affiliations. Even in Somalia where they have only one tribe, they find differences in their clans. Travel, and you will notice the Asians (those we call Chinese here) also find differences in their eyes, mouths...dynasties etc...then you will realize that indeed you are a complete fool

Hold up. Dude, are you trying to insuniate that equity is a Kikuyu bank? That Stanchart and Barclays fired Kikuyus and they went to found Equity? This is unbelievable. You are what is wrong with Kenya. I am not trying to fit in with anybody or anything, i am simply doing things that add value to my life. If that is called "fitting in" in your world, it's called reality in mine.

And for the record, i never ever think of my tribe ever. Sometimes i even forget there are tribes in Kenya because everybody that i associate with speaks a language that everybody else understands. English or Swahili. If somebody switches to mother tongue then i drop them like a bad habit. Mother tongue is only important to closet tribalists.

Yes. There are plenty of things that will always divide us as a people. It's our duty to change the things that we can change for the better. We can't get rid of race and nationalities, but we can at least get rid of detrimental things like mother tongues, clans and religions and try to make this world that much better. Nobody says that the world is perfect but if we can move away from some things that you and i have agreed that divide us as a people, then let's do it. That would be a good first step, we will work on the other things later.
Anti_Burglar
#66 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:41:32 AM

Marko, if you think culture, democracy and politics are properly compartmentalized in this country you need to go back to sleep. I wish you sweet dreams.
murchr
#67 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:56:27 AM

hamburglar wrote:
murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
murchr wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:
hamburglar wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Quote:

Hold up. Dude, are you trying to insuniate that equity is a Kikuyu bank? That Stanchart and Barclays fired Kikuyus and they went to found Equity? This is unbelievable. You are what is wrong with Kenya. I am not trying to fit in with anybody or anything, i am simply doing things that add value to my life. If that is called "fitting in" in your world, it's called reality in mine. Equity allowed customer service to be in the local mother tongue wherever they first set up, many of the initial customers could not express themselves in English so they were not accommodated by the English banks and ofcourse add to it the fact that they could not maintain a balance of over 10K or even 5K.

And for the record, i never ever think of my tribe ever. Sometimes i even forget there are tribes in Kenya because everybody that i associate with speaks a language that everybody else understands. English or Swahili. If somebody switches to mother tongue then i drop them like a bad habit. Mother tongue is only important to closet tribalists. You think about it, thats why you commented and you keep commenting here about it and trying so hard justify yourself. I don't advocate for people to speak mother tongue in official capacities but socially it should be encouraged. Actually, the big issue is that you respond to your relatives in Eng when they speak mother tongue ...very disrespectful.

Yes. There are plenty of things that will always divide us as a people. It's our duty to change the things that we can change for the better. We can't get rid of race and nationalities, but we can at least get rid of detrimental things like mother tongues, clans and religions and try to make this world that much better. Nobody says that the world is perfect but if we can move away from some things that you and i have agreed that divide us as a people, then let's do it. That would be a good first step, we will work on the other things later. Change is difficult because its mans nature to be picky and prejudiced even if tribe clans races and every class system is abolished, there will still be family. Am sure there are those in your family you look down upon. Its nature, you cant fight it

Accept the fact that there's a culture that exists that has a distinct lingo, and stereotypes that you may not like but you belong to.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Lolest!
#68 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:00:25 AM

Friday pia ni sikukuu? wapi linki kwani sipati habari hii kokote mtandaoni?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
marko
#69 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:21:34 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
Marko, if you think culture, democracy and politics are properly compartmentalized in this country you need to go back to sleep. I wish you sweet dreams.

Why don't you present your argument? You have practically said nothing there. You remind me of those days people used to post full-stops and the word ditto just to get more post numbers on the record.
WHO DARES WINS
masukuma
#70 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:26:33 AM

marko wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:

I would have loved to have some of these wahengas showing up over here!! the y would be shocked! somehow we tend to think of these wahangas as all wise people kumbe they were fishermen who never travelled 200kms away from their homes. Maybe back then it was useful to have a cultural identity.... right now? it's as useful as fresh breath is to a telephone operator.

@Masukuma. Most of the modern day wahengas I am sure you revere, the Machiavelli's, Plato's, Socrates, Da Vincis, Newtons etc etc never travelled more than 200 kms out of their villages.

these are not modern wahengas... they would still be collecting jaws from the floor if they came here NOW not even gone to Europe or America. The youngest of these people lived 300 years ago - way before the Kikuyus settled around Mt Kenya. Some of these wahengas are so old that our wahengas are even younger!! The fallacy we have is that there was a golden age in some era passed!! THIS IS THE GOLDEN AGE!! Don't live a modern life looking behind... there is nothing but ignorance and brutishness there and the occasional nugget that makes us romanticize the ages gone by.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
masukuma
#71 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:46:40 AM

perhaps people need to like walk down memory lane to understand what these 'languages' or 'cultures' are... they are accidents!! I have travelled widely across africa and I have a keen ear. I listen and map people. I have my own theory (which is so far standing and seems to explain why we are as we are - but that is a different question). Our ansestors migrated not kwa uzuri but wars, disease hunger, over population e.t.c. and by accident isolation created some of the languages we have. For example - my trip to South Sudan helped me understand the nilotic people (eastern and western nilotes) and their origin and language structure. it even assisted me understand the bantus as there are a number of equitoria people over there. as people migrated - small changes brought about by accents (best example is the Embu, Kirinyaga and Kikuyus) were magnified as time passed and as they interracted with other groups they took stronger elements from those other cultures and kept the ones that made sense. I am sure there was some guy who first shrubbed something and the kids took on the dad's shrub as being truth. That may explain why Kyuks say "mbura" maragolis say "imbura" and as far south as south africa it's known as "pula". Zimbabwe means "house of stone" like "zimba"... "nyumba" "bwe" as in "jiwe". Pigs "nguruwe" are known as "kolobe" very far south.
We have the Kikuyus who like thumping their chest over circumistion as if Abraham's other name was Njoroge got it from the Maasais who in turn got it from cushitic people. People who never had access to the cushitic people (or migrating people who had contact with cushites) never traditionally practiced circumsition. I am in UG now and circumcision here is not a big deal. The Twa of congo picked up languages from the bantus and moved on. No one before these "wahengas" you keep on talking about moved on with life by looking back! if someone came with iron working they embraced it. if you go down south you find bantu people there who passed through the San and Khoisan people - you find elements of their language. LIFE WORKS BY MOVING FORWARD NOT BACKWARD. We now are at an unprecedented period of time where people are doing interactions daily that wahengas took many years to achieve. All those Wahengas thought their people were living where they are ad infinitum. the Kikuyu/dholuo people are speaking is an accidental product of migration and isolation or sometimes interaction with others. I am sure the Wahengas were looking at the youngmen speaking the sheng of their time a mix of Arabic and some bantu language and saying... MAKE UP YOUR MIND!! DON'T MIX THESE TWO LANGUAGES... MKOSA MILA NI MTUMWA (using some ancient bantu language) in much the same way old people look at the young with sheng. The product of which is Kiswahili and we have some enforcers telling us not to mix kiswahili with some other language in order to keep it's integrity--- what integrity? My point - there is nothing new happening... it's just happening on steroids. Our languages will die and join latin soon simply because LANGUAGES ARE UTILITIES and they either morph into something useful or die and are forgotten. unlike those people who underwent these evolution in languages - WE KNOW THESE THINGS, we are now able to self determine instead of being irresponsible and letting "things flow".
Much Know
#72 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 10:48:44 AM

The Ultimate Mhenga aka Musemakweli on the issue of language is the constitution, (Chapter 3, 44. Language and culture) in my interpretation, it says:- "speaking whatever language wherever is a FREE CHOICE or natural freedom that should not bother anyone, or rather, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS whatever the other person language they speak, unless they are speaking to you". I see nothing wrong with that, but it goes further and adds value to language (meaning people can earn from their culture and it is not empty "backward" as some here claim) as follows:-

IN THE PREAMBLE
ACKNOWLEDGING the supremacy of the Almighty God of all creation:

PROUD of our ethnic, cultural and religious diversity, and
determined to live in peace and unity as one indivisible sovereign
nation:

11. (1) This Constitution recognises culture as the foundation
of the nation and as the cumulative civilization of the Kenyan people
and nation.
(2) The State shall—
(a) promote all forms of national and cultural expression
through literature, the arts, traditional celebrations, science,
communication, information, mass media, publications,
libraries and other cultural heritage;
(b) recognise the role of science and indigenous technologies
in the development of the nation; and
(c) promote the intellectual property rights of the people of
Kenya.
(3) Parliament shall enact legislation to—
(a) ensure that communities receive compensation or royalties
for the use of their cultures and cultural heritage; and
(b) recognise and protect the ownership of indigenous seeds
and plant varieties, their genetic and diverse characteristics
and their use by the communities of Kenya.
A New Kenya
Impunity
#73 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:05:22 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Friday pia ni sikukuu? wapi linki kwani sipati habari hii kokote mtandaoni?

Rink ndio hii.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

masukuma
#74 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:06:13 AM

the changes i am talking about are happening to everyone - whether they like it or not! it's happening to the english, it happens to the chinese or even the innuit! we should do what is PRACTICAL not what is traditional - not because someone else is doing it but rather because IT'S GOOD FOR US! languages are utilities. Culture and tradition is just a repetition of how things were done and norms. Things are changing watu wapende wasipende.... that's just how things are! humans have been on this planet for around 150k years and perhaps the oldest isolated group of humans is the khoisan and so they may represent how humans looked like really long ago! so kama unataka utamaduni ama mila... fanya ya khoisan if you enforce anything else... hiyo ni "utumwa". Nkt!!... (did you see what I did there?)
Swenani
#75 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:07:30 AM

marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:

Why don't you present your argument? You have practically said nothing there. You remind me of those days people used to post full-stops and the word ditto just to get more post numbers on the record.

Dittosmile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Anti_Burglar
#76 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:27:38 AM

marko wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:

I'm sorry you have missed it. I wish I spoke someone who was awake. I regret my wasted post.
Much Know
#77 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:29:25 AM

It is also important to differentiate "modern" and "culture" some people mix up concepts. The Japanese are steeped in their culture and language and are a modern and thriving nation, more economically stable with higher per capita income than all English speaking nations, In Singapore Lee Kwan Yu used Confucian culture as a foundation particularly for ethics and family, The Chinese, the same, go to norway ni hivo hivo, whatever makes one think English in a necessity and "dumping their culture or language" is "advancing", is one of the biggest lies one can tell themselves. Modernization is not directly proportional to western culture, hio ni hesabu ya utothi kidogo, these are totally different things, it's like those blonds who argue "go and put on an animal skin" when you talk about culture, they can't differentiate between, dress, language, the economy, e.t.c, they are advancing inside an English speaking "advancement bubble" whereas the reverse is true and people are earning from their cultures.
A New Kenya
masukuma
#78 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 11:51:21 AM

Much Know wrote:
It is also important to differentiate "modern" and "culture" some people mix up concepts. The Japanese are steeped in their culture and language and are a modern and thriving nation, more economically stable with higher per capita income than all English speaking nations, In Singapore Lee Kwan Yu used Confucian culture as a foundation particularly for ethics and family, The Chinese, the same, go to norway ni hivo hivo, whatever makes one think English in a necessity and "dumping their culture or language" is "advancing", is one of the biggest lies one can tell themselves. Modernization is not directly proportional to western culture, hio ni hesabu ya utothi kidogo, these are totally different things, it's like those blonds who argue "go and put on an animal skin" when you talk about culture, they can't differentiate between, dress, language, the economy, e.t.c, they are advancing inside an English speaking "advancement bubble" whereas the reverse is true and people are earning from their cultures.

still driving with a mirror looking back! culture is what you do everyday. What is enforced by society. a set of values. the norms so to speak. For example the Confucian culture may have some aspects that dictate that hardwork is valued here! it may stipulate that our people will value hardwork and honesty above money! The japanese have a culture of honour! where family honour is very valuable way above individual rights. All these are aspect of a culture that when implemented together in a certain context yield fruits. I dare say that Confucius did not have Singapore in mind when he asked people to follow his teachings. Any culture on the planet is exactly the same way. Unlike Confucius or whoever is the key person in Japanese culture WE KNOW MORE!! Why not learn aspects of Japanese culture, Chinese culture or even European culture that worked together to make them where they are? it's like food... we have an assortment of values and outlooks. Why not create our own recipe that involves copying from others as it makes sense? by asking IS IT BENEFITIAL TO US? copying European culture for the sake of copying is what I call MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO! keeping aspects of our culture that we know are pointless like FGM just because our forefathers practiced it (and their forefathers before them didn't) is stupid! Why not move forward? formulate a cultural identity based on NOW! It's silly to think that TODAY is the epitome of human existence... we are transitioning! Whether they like it or not the chinese are transitioning... the english are transitioning... the Japanese are transitioning... MOVE FORWARD AND NOT INTO YOUR PAST OR SOMEONE ELSES PAST! Be deliberate.... Be utilitarian.... in the same way you don't drive a smoky Ford Model T (because it is the 'original' assembly line car) don't stick to a smoky language or cultural aspect just because it's 'original'. actively learn from others... try and jump yards and steps... get ahead! be deliberate the current golden age has given you this one thing that no one in history had... USE IT!
masukuma
#79 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:10:22 PM

by the way... what is the point of a "language"? it's to communicate - right? for better or for worse we have english spoken more widely... is knowledge of english an asset? Do you see a future where a person in Kenya will not know how to speak english? if a language's primary reason of being is communication - why not embrace a widely spoken one? our children will learn these things... they will look around and pick a predominant language upende usipende! kinda like I did myself... Kikuyu is the language my mum and dad spoke to me in the evening.... as soon as I stepped out of that door I met all manner of people... in our plot and in school and church.... for 8-10 hours i was immersed in swahili/sheng and in the evening again.... kikuyu for like 4hours or less. My brother and I spoke swahili to each other and answered back in swahili! the only time i felt lack of knowing kikuyu was a problem was when I travelled to shags... my kids will not travel to that "shags" they will travel to Nakuru town as their shags or Mombasa as their shags - they will not feel the need to speak that language. most of us have travelled long distances from where we were born originally and look around... this will be shags for your grandchildren.... apartments and gated communities. someone will call donholm shags! this is of course assuming that they will care to travel to shags!
sitaki.kujulikana
#80 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 12:21:57 PM

murchr wrote:
marko wrote:
sitaki.kujulikana wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Shida is that kikuyus have been bullied and intimidated so much online (and elsewhere) particularly by luos and luhyas that some fear even saying they are kikuyus. But i am not the kind to be intimidated. When the pigs bring their ujinga, i jump into their pigsty and whip sense into them.

Kikuyus should be proud of their culture, language and their sons and daughters. Just like luos, bukusus, kaleos, maasai etc are. It's not ujinga to be proud of your heritage and your people. We have an obligation to bring up our sons and daughters i.e. the next generation of kikuyus to be people who are proud of their culture and heritage....and the accomplishments of their people.

You have a point however it's a single story. For some of us Kikuyu was never taught to us...it never stuck and so while we hear it fairly well the line will and with us. The not needing to learn it was made stronger by the fact that being a kikuyu is sometimes harmful to your health... something that you don't know becomes a burden and of course that will not make one look for their roots. Some try and relate you learning kikuyu to an Englishman learning English and if English is good enough for the Englishman all kikuyus should learn kikuyu because the englishman is learning English... it's a case of monkey see monkey do! For one it's practical for the other it's learning for the sake of learning. I personally find it pointless but that's just me. The rest can engage in episodes of monkey see monkey do... hapo siko!
ati an obligation....TO WHO? WHO IS MARKING? COMPETITION WITHOUT MEDALS ARE POINTLESS

Great point, its learning for the sake of learning. What's the fascination with ones mother tongue, one can survive with only English but try that with only your mother tongue, you will soon realize it's useless.

Waafrika mna shida kweli.

Shida kubwa sana. Those they so bad try to emulate, or rather live like, could not live with their different tribes and cultures that's why they have the many little countries in Europe. And the conflict (difference in cultures incl lingo) continues to play out these days in the so called Great Britain with the Scotts, Welsh & Irish and in Spain & Catalonia.

****My point**** Even if you dont talk fluent in your mother tongue for heavensake learn to communicate in it, and not necessarily be fluent or know extra msamiatis no, but its absolutely rude for someone to talk to you in Kyuk and you respond in English ignoring the fact that they may not understand you. One thing I like with Americans (Yeah I know someone is about to say am comparing monkeys) is that they NEVER forget their roots and even tho they may be proud to be called Americans, they will always attach the Italian, Chinese, Indian, Vietnamese, Korean, Latino, Turkish, Israeli, German, and even Amish before the American. And they never forget the culture and everything that comes with it that being food festivals (Mardi gras, Halloween etc), and language. Companies such as Rosetta Stone flourish because of this.

I don't think the current generation of Italian or German or Vietnamese Americans give much importance to their ancestral language.

So what happens to those born in mixed cultures, say your mother is a mix of luhya/luo and your father a mix of pokomo/maasai, complicating it, what happens to those who come after luhya/luo/pokomo/maasai and some other mix.

You pick and follow what currently works, and for now you are better off learning Kiswahili, English and throw in some Chinese or French