wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages<1234>»
KNH is not for the faint hearted
Bykhovets
#21 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:35:34 AM

kayhara wrote:
Kenya needs to put all new projects on hold and let's repair the existing infrastructure, like KNH is supposed to be the yard stick for even private hospitals, it's like how you drive on the eastern bypass smooth all the way to Ruaka then pot holes to NBI-NKR highway, how much would it cost to take kenya to acceptable levels of public service

Good idea. But there's no political goodwill to do this.
"Occasionally I drop a tea cup to shatter on the floor. On purpose. I am not satisfied when it does not gather itself up again. Someday perhaps that cup will come together."
Bykhovets
#22 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:37:17 AM

Kaigangio wrote:
December 1991 cant rmember the exact day. I was very sick and I had tried a couple of medical institutions and I was refered toKNH, I would say in a condition that needed urgent attention. I had to go through the opd where I was told that I had to book for an appointment. The man on the other side of the counter had some really good news…that I was lucky to have gotten an appointment in April 1992 (cant remember the day)!!! My only question to the man was, "what is the point of giving me an appointment in April 1992 when I cannot last beyond December 1991". He smiled at me and told me that it was not his fault, besides he was following the entries in the booking register. In despair, as I started walking restlessly, knowing that death would come to me at any time, I started off towards an unknown destination. After a couple of steps the man behind the counter called me and told me that arrangements could always be made so that I could see a doctor in one week. I was not interested in his TKK plan since I had already made up my mind…
I remembered I had a friend who had a brother who was an orthorpidic surgeon in KNH. I called the friend and of course the rest is history. For the 8 months that I spent in KNH ward no. 46, I would tell you what I saw and.experienced was way beyond what that man in opd was sentensing me to.
You guys know absolutely nothing about KNH.

Pole sana.

Some patients stay in those wards for even 2 years. It is deplorable. I wouldn't wish KNH on my worst enemy.
"Occasionally I drop a tea cup to shatter on the floor. On purpose. I am not satisfied when it does not gather itself up again. Someday perhaps that cup will come together."
Kaigangio
#23 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 10:02:26 AM

Impunity wrote:
Baratang wrote:
obiero wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
December 1991 cant rmember the exact day. I was very sick and I had tried a couple of medical institutions and I was refered toKNH, I would say in a condition that needed urgent attention. I had to go through the opd where I was told that I had to book for an appointment. The man on the other side of the counter had some really good news…that I was lucky to have gotten an appointment in April 1992 (cant remember the day)!!! My only question to the man was, "what is the point of giving me an appointment in April 1992 when I cannot last beyond December 1991". He smiled at me and told me that it was not his fault, besides he was following the entries in the booking register. In despair, as I started walking restlessly, knowing that death would come to me at any time, I started off towards an unknown destination. After a couple of steps the man behind the counter called me and told me that arrangements could always be made so that I could see a doctor in one week. I was not interested in his TKK plan since I had already made up my mind…
I remembered I had a friend who had a brother who was an orthorpidic surgeon in KNH. I called the friend and of course the rest is history. For the 8 months that I spent in KNH ward no. 46, I would tell you what I saw and.experienced was way beyond what that man in opd was sentensing me to.
You guys know absolutely nothing about KNH.

@kaiganjio glad u made it

Pole sana kaigangio. What exactly is it that you saw and experienced in ward no. 46. Sorry for rekindling old bad memories. Just curious.

What is this illness that confined him to 8 months in the KNH ward?
Sad

@impunity...AGN Type 1, That is Simple Acute Glomerulo Nephritis
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Impunity
#24 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 10:18:34 AM

@Alai

Quote:
The corruption we have in this country has put the country's health system into the ICU. It is sad that Kenya as a country does not have even 50 ICU beds. Palliative care is wanting. Outpatient services not worth talking about. The few honest private hospitals out there with better equipment are charging an arm and a leg to treat Kenyans.
Picture this. Edith Dorothy Ogonda is a nurse. She was among the 300 Kenyan nurses who went to Siera Leone to support the anti Ebola medical campaigns. While in Freetown, she got sick. She went into a comma and has never woken up. She was flown back in an AMREF plane in July.
The family of Edith has been struggling with her. She accrued a huge bill at KNH that the family had to beg them to release her for care elsewhere. Her mother was forced to sign that she owes KNH and will pay later.
Edith was transferred to Rift Valley Provincial Hospital (where she worked). Her colleagues have been supporting her without demanding much. The family is suffering but the government doesn't even care.
I brought this matter to the attention of CS Macharia. He asked for details but he has never cared to follow up beyond that. Maybe he thinks that Edith is from the wrong tribe.
Since when we had Cholera outbreaks, it HAS NEVER been fully contained. Every hospital in Nairobi has had an average of 4 patients every week suffering from cholera. The CS in charge of health doesn't give a hoot because "health is devolved." Why do we have CS health if he doesn't answer to health needs of the country?
This is the reality in Kenya. That's why Uhuru's own son is being treated for drug addiction in a South African hospital and not in Kenya. The country's health facilities is not capable of caring for the leaders and their families. India is earning billions from Kenya through a medical tourism economy they have strategically created. In fact, even our own NHIF makes payments faster to Indian hospitals than even to local government owned hospitals.
This is the state of health in Kenya. President Uhuru Kenyatta is looting Kenya while killing every sector of the economy. The leadership mantle for the country was given to one individual. Problem is, he doesn't have the urge or inspiration to lead the country.
Demoralising!!!!

Wahhh...d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Kaigangio
#25 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 11:44:39 AM

@baratang...here we go,

Episode 1

...It was around 10:00AM when I was leaving the opd (the outpatient department) after the brief altercation with the patients appointments booking man and headed towards the KNH KBS station. I took a KBS and alighted at the ambassadaur hotel, crossed over to Kencom where there used to be alot of telephone boothes.
It was very hot and I could feel that for every step i made my body was weakening at a rate never felt before.
I called my friend on her land line (there were no mobile phones then, and whoever had them, they were buying them at close to kshs 500,000 per hand set). Luckily enough, I managed to get the friend and I explained to her my situation. We agreed that she meet me at the kencom bus station inside the sitting area. Half an hour later she found me dozing at the seat. She immediately called her orthopaedic surgeon brother who agreed to see me in KNH. We got inside the KBS and off we went to KNH. We went straight to the room where the surgeon was stationed when he was being consulted in KNH. The lady friend at this juncture had to leave, but I instructed her to call my guardian whom I was staying with in dandora. It was around 1.30PM.
The surgeon examined me and and recommended that I be admitted immediately. I was sent to casualty to begin the process of admission. I was further examined by the doctor on duty after waiting for close to 3 hours. This is when the doctor dropped the atom bomb...that i was suffering from one of the 260 known kidney diseases and i had to be examined further through lab tests in order to know exactly which one to treat...I started making some calculations in my head, really weird calculations...if it took say 4 days for one test to be done and results released, then for 260 tests it would take 1040 days and that is almost 3 years. I was figuring here that I would be dead before they were able to determine which disease they would be treating! But that was the least of my concerns at the time.
A renal ultra sound was recommended but the doctor informed me that the institutes only machine had packed up and as such I would have to have it done in town. Next he wanted a complete haemogram (blood tests) done. Also a complete urinalysis tests were required. I just asked the doctor if he really expected me to do all that in my situation noting that even walking was a problem. He suggested that he would admit me, but before I was put onto any treatment, all those tests would have to be done.
It was around 7:00PM and my guardian had just arrived from work. The consultant gave us the lab requisitions and he told us that the haemogram and urinalysis could be undertaken in KNH labs, he directed us where to go, in addition to telling me to report to ward no. 46 after these tests.
We went to the main lab and gave out the requisitions only to be told that there were no reagents. There were 3 men in that lab. It was getting to around 9:00PM and as we sat on one of the benches along the corridor near the lab wondering what to do next, we saw one of the men who was in that lab. He was coming towards us. We stopped him and literally begged him to help us...his suggestion, toeni kitu! We parted with some money and at around midnight the haemogram and urinalysis tests samples were collected and we were adviced to pick them in the morning the following day.
After the lab, we went to ward no 46 on the 7th floor of the main block. Just before we entered the main door we could see that there was a lot of activities along the ward corridor. once inside I almost fainted on seeing the number of people who had been admitted that night...it was well over 50. At the nurse call desk, I was informed that my file had not been brought from casualty, so I was told to wait. All the benches and seats in the ward were all occupied by patients who were waiting to be assigned a space to sleep. We went down to the opd where there is quite a lot of seats and sat there for the rest of the early morning till around 5:00AM in the morning. I did not sleep and neither my guardian. We went back to the ward where my guardian left me to go and prepare to report to work.
At around 7:00AM in the morning I was assigned a space where I was going to be receiving my treatment from...the beds were full to capacity, each 3ft by 6 ft bed being shared by 4 patients. The spaces between the beds where matrices had been laid on the floor were also full (each matrice had 4 patients), but luckily enough I got a space in one of the matrices on the floor. One patient did not make it to the morning and I doubt if the other 3 patients knew that one of them had died. That is how the space became available. As I sat on that floor matrice feeling exhausted and worse off than I was the previous day, I just looked at the the three half dead patients whom I was to share the matrice with and I could not help imagining that I had voluntarily prepared my path to the KNH morgue! I walked to the window and looked at the ground below, the industrial area and Nairobi National Nark and asked myself, "Hey kaigangio, which is better, home or here?". The answer came after three months!!
Thats it folks...episode 2 to follow.
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
kangi
#26 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 12:42:23 PM

There's no gov. that has ever paid attention to matters health, including ourselves. This month has been a cancer month and I think its only Citizen Tv that was consistent in providing info about the NCD.It is not until one of our close relas is sick that we remember we are not equipped with proper health infrastructure. If you look at social media little attention is given to such matters until a personality emerges and works our emotions to it.

In terms of budget allocation, we will not get anywhere until all civil servants are made to use the public health facilities, that's the only time the Treasury mandarins will acknowledge the need to allocate adequate resources to healthcare.

All the insurance covers for our leaders are tailored for the private hospitals and its only after they have been voted out that they realise the value of public hospitals infrastructure after either exhausting their covers or before its up. In the end the private entities end up looking better equipped and healthcare provision is seen as superior.
Accept no one's definition of your life; define your life.
Bykhovets
#27 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 2:15:13 PM

Kaigangio wrote:
@baratang...here we go,

Episode 1

...It was around 10:00AM when I was leaving the opd (the outpatient department) after the brief altercation with the patients appointments booking man and headed towards the KNH KBS station. I took a KBS and alighted at the ambassadaur hotel, crossed over to Kencom where there used to be alot of telephone boothes.
It was very hot and I could feel that for every step i made my body was weakening at a rate never felt before.
I called my friend on her land line (there were no mobile phones then, and whoever had them, they were buying them at close to kshs 500,000 per hand set). Luckily enough, I managed to get the friend and I explained to her my situation. We agreed that she meet me at the kencom bus station inside the sitting area. Half an hour later she found me dozing at the seat. She immediately called her orthopaedic surgeon brother who agreed to see me in KNH. We got inside the KBS and off we went to KNH. We went straight to the room where the surgeon was stationed when he was being consulted in KNH. The lady friend at this juncture had to leave, but I instructed her to call my guardian whom I was staying with in dandora. It was around 1.30PM.
The surgeon examined me and and recommended that I be admitted immediately. I was sent to casualty to begin the process of admission. I was further examined by the doctor on duty after waiting for close to 3 hours. This is when the doctor dropped the atom bomb...that i was suffering from one of the 260 known kidney diseases and i had to be examined further through lab tests in order to know exactly which one to treat...I started making some calculations in my head, really weird calculations...if it took say 4 days for one test to be done and results released, then for 260 tests it would take 1040 days and that is almost 3 years. I was figuring here that I would be dead before they were able to determine which disease they would be treating! But that was the least of my concerns at the time.
A renal ultra sound was recommended but the doctor informed me that the institutes only machine had packed up and as such I would have to have it done in town. Next he wanted a complete haemogram (blood tests) done. Also a complete urinalysis tests were required. I just asked the doctor if he really expected me to do all that in my situation noting that even walking was a problem. He suggested that he would admit me, but before I was put onto any treatment, all those tests would have to be done.
It was around 7:00PM and my guardian had just arrived from work. The consultant gave us the lab requisitions and he told us that the haemogram and urinalysis could be undertaken in KNH labs, he directed us where to go, in addition to telling me to report to ward no. 46 after these tests.
We went to the main lab and gave out the requisitions only to be told that there were no reagents. There were 3 men in that lab. It was getting to around 9:00PM and as we sat on one of the benches along the corridor near the lab wondering what to do next, we saw one of the men who was in that lab. He was coming towards us. We stopped him and literally begged him to help us...his suggestion, toeni kitu! We parted with some money and at around midnight the haemogram and urinalysis tests samples were collected and we were adviced to pick them in the morning the following day.
After the lab, we went to ward no 46 on the 7th floor of the main block. Just before we entered the main door we could see that there was a lot of activities along the ward corridor. once inside I almost fainted on seeing the number of people who had been admitted that night...it was well over 50. At the nurse call desk, I was informed that my file had not been brought from casualty, so I was told to wait. All the benches and seats in the ward were all occupied by patients who were waiting to be assigned a space to sleep. We went down to the opd where there is quite a lot of seats and sat there for the rest of the early morning till around 5:00AM in the morning. I did not sleep and neither my guardian. We went back to the ward where my guardian left me to go and prepare to report to work.
At around 7:00AM in the morning I was assigned a space where I was going to be receiving my treatment from...the beds were full to capacity, each 3ft by 6 ft bed being shared by 4 patients. The spaces between the beds where matrices had been laid on the floor were also full (each matrice had 4 patients), but luckily enough I got a space in one of the matrices on the floor. One patient did not make it to the morning and I doubt if the other 3 patients knew that one of them had died. That is how the space became available. As I sat on that floor matrice feeling exhausted and worse off than I was the previous day, I just looked at the the three half dead patients whom I was to share the matrice with and I could not help imagining that I had voluntarily prepared my path to the KNH morgue! I walked to the window and looked at the ground below, the industrial area and Nairobi National Nark and asked myself, "Hey kaigangio, which is better, home or here?". The answer came after three months!!

Pole sana. An accurately told story from the perspective of the patient.

Ward 46, I think, is now ward 7A.
Impunity
#28 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 2:32:29 PM

Bykhovets wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
@baratang...here we go,

Episode 1

I think ward 7A ndio ile ward ya wale watu walioshindana kabisa due to immune deficiency?
d'oh! d'oh!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Baratang
#29 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 4:57:15 PM

Impunity wrote:
Bykhovets wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:
@baratang...here we go,

Episode 1

I think ward 7A ndio ile ward ya wale watu walioshindana kabisa due to immune deficiency?
d'oh! d'oh!

Woooiiii. Again pole sana boss. No wonder that is why many patients requiring urgent attention dont make to see the light of the morning on easily treatable ailments if one has to undergo this kind of ordeal.
Muheani
#30 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 6:12:13 PM

@kaigangio

That was tough.
alma1
#31 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 7:40:04 PM

deleted
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

kayhara
#32 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:28:46 PM

WHAT staff asking for kitu kidogo from sick dying patients to help, is this how low we have sunk
To Each His Own
newfarer
#33 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:50:42 PM

November 15 2012,spent the whole night at Kenya. Bad experience.
punda amecheka
newfarer
#34 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:21:20 PM

Kaigangio wrote:
@baratang...here we go,

Episode 1

punda amecheka
Bykhovets
#35 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:40:42 PM

alma1 wrote:
Kaiganjio you story just brings bad memories at that place and doctors in general in this country.

I believe my present attitude towards Kenyan gov't is shaped by what I went through and saw.

My wife got very sick at work and was rushed to Avenue Hospital.

Pole sana alma.

I remember saying doctors nowadays put money before patients. It's a terrible thing to do. It's inhuman but it won't change anytime soon.

Afadhali to get reasonable emergency care across the road at Nairobi Hosp and be left poor and broke after selling your belongings (and fundraising) than suffer so at KNH. For chronic care, watu waende India.

My mum got an accident and what she went through at KNH casualty before she was taken to Mater for surgery scarred her. She narrates lying on a cold metal stretcher, on a freezing June night, leg broken at the tibia in 2 places, hip fractured, bleeding, in pain and with no first aid given.

I spent so much time in hospitals it drew me to medicine. At such an early age, I knew what an external fixator was, that vancomycin was 200 bob a capsule and where to harvest skin for a skin graft.

My Dad got sick once and I was out of the country. The hospital he went to referred him to KNH because he was convulsing and had altered mental state. By the time we found out he was there it was too late; he was already admitted, hands and feet tied to the bed to restrain him, wet, IV line tissued, and had received little in terms of care. He was in a sorry state. I called a Prof (who had taught me and knew our family well) to see him and he said he was too busy. I called another senior doc (who had taught me too and knew me) and he said he could only see him if he was transferred to a private hospital. It took a whole day to take him out of KNH (they charged him more than 100k for that stay).

Sadly, I think it is impossible to change KNH. I've trained and worked there and I think that is an honest opinion.
Bykhovets
#36 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:44:03 PM

Impunity wrote:

d'oh! d'oh!

7A is mostly for Nephrology cases. 7th and 8th floor are internal medicine wards. In the 90s, 90% of admitted patients were HIV+.
Bykhovets
#37 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:50:55 PM

kayhara wrote:
WHAT staff asking for kitu kidogo from sick dying patients to help, is this how low we have sunk

Cashiers had their own receipts. Pharmacists used to steal drugs. You had to pay a nurse extra to take give care to your patient. Radiologists would charge patients to use the radiotherapy machine and do the procedure even when the machine was broken down (many cancer patients died wondering why the disease had spread yet they went through radiotherapy).

There's a deputy director who tried to change the system at KNH and he was shot on his way home.
alma1
#38 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:58:06 PM

Bykhovets wrote:
alma1 wrote:
Kaiganjio you story just brings bad memories at that place and doctors in general in this country.

I believe my present attitude towards Kenyan gov't is shaped by what I went through and saw.

Pole sana alma.

I remember saying doctors nowadays put money before patients. It's a terrible thing to do. It's inhuman but it won't change anytime soon.

Afadhali to get reasonable emergency care across the road at Nairobi Hosp and be left poor and broke after selling your belongings (and fundraising) than suffer so at KNH. For chronic care, watu waende India.

My mum got an accident and what she went through at KNH casualty before she was taken to Mater for surgery scarred her. She narrates lying on a cold metal stretcher, on a freezing June night, leg broken at the tibia in 2 places, hip fractured, bleeding, in pain and with no first aid given.

I spent so much time in hospitals it drew me to medicine. At such an early age, I knew what an external fixator was, that vancomycin was 200 bob a capsule and where to harvest skin for a skin graft.

My Dad got sick once and I was out of the country. The hospital he went to referred him to KNH because he was convulsing and had altered mental state. By the time we found out he was there it was too late; he was already admitted, hands and feet tied to the bed to restrain him, wet, IV line tissued, and had received little in terms of care. He was in a sorry state. I called a Prof (who had taught me and knew our family well) to see him and he said he was too busy. I called another senior doc (who had taught me too and knew me) and he said he could only see him if he was transferred to a private hospital. It took a whole day to take him out of KNH (they charged him more than 100k for that stay).

Sadly, I think it is impossible to change KNH. I've trained and worked there and I think that is an honest opinion.

I had to remove my post coz it was too tough for me to remember. Thanks and I'm one who believes it can change.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

murchr
#39 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 6:05:50 AM

Ndemo's article this week

Nation wrote:
I spent time in the week of October 19 with young adults from all over East Africa attempting to build new applications that would bring new innovations — or disruptions — in the agricultural sector.

After addressing them, they asked me which areas would see the greatest disruption in the next five years. I said, without a doubt, that the healthcare sector is rife for disruption.

Even the blind can see that healthcare systems in Africa are dysfunctional. Facilities are in a poor state, and the cost of care is unnecessarily extortionate.

Rude health workers conspire with crowded amenities to make the experience of care very unpleasant. Public health is non-existent. We must change this for the better.

While we die unnecessary from curable diseases, we also generate new, more dangerous diseases as we pollute our environment, and our failed public health plays catalyst to stimulating these incurable diseases.

This perhaps explains the increasing cases of all kinds of cancer, especially lung cancer. In the past few weeks, two very prominent TV personalities, Janet Kanini Ikua of NTV and Anjlee Gadhvi Noorani of K24, shocked Kenyans when they revealed their battle with cancer in Indian hospitals.

It takes no doctor to see that our polluting behaviour is killing us. The air we breathe, particularly in Nairobi, is patently unhealthy.

We have no motor vehicle emission standards. Lorries spew thick, dark gases from their exhausts as they labour on our roads. Old, poorly serviced jalopies ply our roads, and their half-burned fuel combines with thick smoke from factories to make the city air really unfit for breathing.

Meanwhile, crazy matatu drivers will not switch off their vehicles whether they are stationary or not. They keep revving up the vehicles, many of which are badly serviced by incompetent mechanics. This behaviour kicks off dust in addition to expelling dangerous fumes.
cont

The two cases of the prominent TV journalists highlight the plight of many Kenyans traveling to India as a last resort.

Janet Kanini Ikua, after treating Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) for some time, is now in India undergoing lung cancer treatment.

After her condition failed to respond within the stipulated time, someone should have been curious enough to do more tests. At least this is what the Indians did before they started any treatment.

Anjlee Gadhvi Noorani was diagnosed with a type of cancer known as hepatocellular carcinoma, a virulent form of liver cancer that is one of the hardest to treat.

Fortunately, India’s best doctors, who are probably the world’s best medical personalities, have confirmed that, indeed, they will treat this cancer by replacing the malignant organ.

ndia should never be our last resort in healthcare after 50 years of independence. Every time a Kenyan travels to India for diagnostics and treatment, the cost of treatment in Kenya goes up while India makes treatment cheaper.

This is basic economics, where economies of scale tilt the pricing downwards. We shall never attain affordable healthcare if greater numbers of our patients go to India.

Read more here

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Anti_Burglar
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 8:51:59 AM

alma1 wrote:

Hupati pole kwangu. I wish she ....