wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages123>»
KNH is not for the faint hearted
Lolest!
#1 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 10:55:57 AM

citizentv.co.ke/blogs/why-kenyatta-national-hospital-is-not-for-the-faint-hearted-103859/
Quote:
before the patient got out of the car, I had dashed across the open yard outside the Accident and Emergency unit straight to what looked like a triage. Behind a half-open curtain, a nurse was taking vitals for a woman who was groaning loudly. Between pants of panic and impatience, I blurted out my plea: I had a seriously ill and violent patient in the car. Could I please get someone to help me bring him in urgently?

She did not even look at me. I thought she had not heard me so I repeated my request, this time louder but with a conscious effort to sound calm, just in case she had imagined I had strayed from the mental ward. Again, she kept quiet!

I was about to go when she casually directed me to fetch a stretcher and wheel my patient in. I was sure I had not heard her right so I sought her clarification. Mu question only succeeded in annoying her. In an irate tone she duly reminded me there were many more patients in need of attention, some who were worse off than my relative.

I moved on. By observing what others arriving with new patients were doing, I ended up at the stretchers area. There were a few remaining and certainly, they were not the cornerstone that the builder rejected. Some were missing wheels; others looked like they had survived a bomb blast considering their twisted and sorry state of disrepair.

They were also plainly dirty. In fact, a number of them had raw blood in various stages of congealment apparently from previous patients.

I had heard good stories about KNH’s supposed improvement. There must be a mistake somewhere, I thought. These could not possibly be scenes from the foremost referral hospital in the country!

So I went back, this time to the reception. I found two friendly nurses and after explaining my predicament, in what sounded like well-intentioned advice, one of them told me to pick a provided-for bucket of water and clean the stretcher.

Luckily, we found a better stretcher apparently abandoned by another patient and joined the queue for the triage. As we waited, I began to appreciate that, indeed, there were worse off cases at KNH.

The radiologist had warned us that we would probably have to brave though a long wait before we were attended to, but he had also vouched for KNH as the best placed to unravel my relative’s strange illness.

Other hospitals, he warned, would bleed us dry in trial-and-error tests. Being financially hard-pressed, this advice was particularly welcome.

It was now a few minutes to midnight. Behind us was an accident victim who had been referred from Narok county hospital. Blood was still seeping out of his heavily bandaged head. His right hand and left leg also had heavy bandage. He was semi-conscious.

I would later learn from his younger brother that the victim was driving his Form One son back to school in Bomet when the car rolled several times. His son died on the spot! Behind them was a girl of around 13 or 14 years lying motionless on the stretcher. She had fallen off the balcony on the third floor and had not uttered a word ten hours later.

Immediately in front of us, a man in his early twenties had been involved in a motorcycle accident. His nose and mouth had been grazed off in the crash, and his sister told me he had suffered multiple fractures on the legs too.

A male nurse had helped to literally tether my patient to the stretcher, giving us some much-needed respite. Around 1:00am, we were done with the triage. We then joined a crowded waiting bay for a chance to see a doctor.

At one of the corners, a male patient lay in his briefs, his both legs and hands in casts and virtually his entire head a swathe of bandages. A catheter connected to a dirty bottle tied to the leg of the stretcher and his delirious but funny anecdotes suggested his injuries went beyond the physical.

His name must have been Omondi because he kept on shouting “Mimi Omondi esquire ati niko Kenyatta peke yangu (I, Omondi esquire, I’m all alone at Kenyatta…) Then in vulgar expletives, he would curse his wife for abandoning him and their children for a richer man and for allegedly planning the attack that left him for dead.

Akinyi, who must have been their teenage daughter, was now pregnant and out of school because ‘the mother was out there getting excited about having her beauty praised by an ugly man!”

At 3am, we were called in. The doctor’s ‘room’ was just a jaded bench behind old and dirty curtains. The young doctor asked for the history of the patient’s disease and furiously jotted down notes.

I noticed huge spots of fresh blood on the floor. My face must have betrayed my squeamishness because a nurse standing beside the doctor quickly cut out some tissue paper and dropped it over the largest blood smudge!

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
maka
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:03:40 AM

Lolest! wrote:
citizentv.co.ke/blogs/why-kenyatta-national-hospital-is-not-for-the-faint-hearted-103859/

f***ed up Nation...
possunt quia posse videntur
kayhara
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:34:28 AM

KNH is a good hospital if you get to see a doctor fast, what is wrong is staff capacity, they need more doctors, more nurses, and employ private cleaning services to keep the place spotless, the casualty area needs first aid guys to cater to the patients before they can see a doctor, BUT SINCE THIS IS KENYA, this are overlooked
To Each His Own
¿
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:11:43 PM

Sad
Muheani
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:20:12 PM

Seems it hasnt changed since 2005 when I reported in with my own sis at 12am. The most traumatising 3hrs of waiting....then off to the mogue.
obiero
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:20:49 PM

damn

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
timizo
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 12:38:53 PM

And we are building a 27 billion referral hospital instead of perfecting on what we have to help save life. But people dying is a non-issue. People must make billions by making up opportunities to Tender
Impunity
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 2:07:51 PM

Muheani wrote:
Seems it hasnt changed since 2005 when I reported in with my own sis at 12am. The most traumatising 3hrs of waiting....then off to the mogue.

I feel sorry for what you underwent.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

sitaki.kujulikana
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 4:42:37 PM

timizo wrote:
And we are building a 27 billion referral hospital instead of perfecting on what we have to help save life. But people dying is a non-issue. People must make billions by making up opportunities to Tender

sad, very sad. as someone mentioned we have been programmed to believe we deserve the worst, that any improvement in our living conditions is a favor from the leaders.
obiero
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 7:02:00 PM

Impunity wrote:
Muheani wrote:

I feel sorry for what you underwent.

Sorry too @muheani.. 10 yrs seem like mere days when it comes to such a tragedy

Taurrus
#11 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:05:14 PM

I am surprised, I took an accident victim there at night and the reception at A & E was very professional, sincerely after the whole exercise I gave the team a token of appreciation! this was back 2004/5
kysse
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 9:31:31 PM

kayhara wrote:
KNH is a good hospital if you get to see a doctor fast, what is wrong is staff capacity, they need more doctors, more nurses, and employ private cleaning services to keep the place spotless, the casualty area needs first aid guys to cater to the patients before they can see a doctor, BUT SINCE THIS IS KENYA, this are overlooked

I disagree.
The rot is beyond repair and results from greed by all concerned.Deliberate attempts to paralyse services and reap from the effects.
These are the same doctors operating private well equipped clinics rem.
Kaigangio
#13 Posted : Sunday, October 25, 2015 11:32:51 PM

December 1991 cant rmember the exact day. I was very sick and I had tried a couple of medical institutions and I was refered toKNH, I would say in a condition that needed urgent attention. I had to go through the opd where I was told that I had to book for an appointment. The man on the other side of the counter had some really good news…that I was lucky to have gotten an appointment in April 1992 (cant remember the day)!!! My only question to the man was, "what is the point of giving me an appointment in April 1992 when I cannot last beyond December 1991". He smiled at me and told me that it was not his fault, besides he was following the entries in the booking register. In despair, as I started walking restlessly, knowing that death would come to me at any time, I started off towards an unknown destination. After a couple of steps the man behind the counter called me and told me that arrangements could always be made so that I could see a doctor in one week. I was not interested in his TKK plan since I had already made up my mind…
I remembered I had a friend who had a brother who was an orthorpidic surgeon in KNH. I called the friend and of course the rest is history. For the 8 months that I spent in KNH ward no. 46, I would tell you what I saw and.experienced was way beyond what that man in opd was sentensing me to.
You guys know absolutely nothing about KNH.
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
obiero
#14 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 7:26:41 AM

Kaigangio wrote:
December 1991 cant rmember the exact day. I was very sick and I had tried a couple of medical institutions and I was refered toKNH, I would say in a condition that needed urgent attention. I had to go through the opd where I was told that I had to book for an appointment. The man on the other side of the counter had some really good news…that I was lucky to have gotten an appointment in April 1992 (cant remember the day)!!! My only question to the man was, "what is the point of giving me an appointment in April 1992 when I cannot last beyond December 1991". He smiled at me and told me that it was not his fault, besides he was following the entries in the booking register. In despair, as I started walking restlessly, knowing that death would come to me at any time, I started off towards an unknown destination. After a couple of steps the man behind the counter called me and told me that arrangements could always be made so that I could see a doctor in one week. I was not interested in his TKK plan since I had already made up my mind…
I remembered I had a friend who had a brother who was an orthorpidic surgeon in KNH. I called the friend and of course the rest is history. For the 8 months that I spent in KNH ward no. 46, I would tell you what I saw and.experienced was way beyond what that man in opd was sentensing me to.

@kaiganjio glad u made it

kayhara
#15 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:00:35 AM

Kenya needs to put all new projects on hold and let's repair the existing infrastructure, like KNH is supposed to be the yard stick for even private hospitals, it's like how you drive on the eastern bypass smooth all the way to Ruaka then pot holes to NBI-NKR highway, how much would it cost to take kenya to acceptable levels of public service
To Each His Own
qooler
#16 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:03:36 AM

Muheani wrote:

This is very sad
Baratang
#17 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:33:43 AM

obiero wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:

Pole sana kaigangio. What exactly is it that you saw and experienced in ward no. 46. Sorry for rekindling old bad memories. Just curious.
Euge
#18 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:35:20 AM

qooler wrote:
Muheani wrote:

Pole sana Muheani. And we brag that its the largest referral hospital in the region yet so much nonsense is happening in there

Lord, thank you!
washiku
#19 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 8:53:15 AM

Muheani wrote:

Sad Sad Am so sorry. That is sad.
Impunity
#20 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 9:18:21 AM

Baratang wrote:
obiero wrote:
Kaigangio wrote:

Pole sana kaigangio. What exactly is it that you saw and experienced in ward no. 46. Sorry for rekindling old bad memories. Just curious.

What is this illness that confined him to 8 months in the KNH ward?
Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.