wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages<12345>»
The Cancer Menace
Rankaz13
#41 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:19:13 PM

Othelo wrote:
The smoking thing & cancer really puzzles me. How cone when i was growing up there were wazee smoking heavily and snorting tobacco but cancer was not such a menace. Again my village grows tobacco and the leaf 'burning - preparation' process is not for the faint hearted yet cancer has not been that serious among the rural folks. It is the urban guys and women (breast and cervix) with high numbers.

There's the small matter of accurate diagnosis. As a young kid, I was told the story of a distant relative who died of what they at the time described as an unhealing wound. I did manage to somehow follow it up when I was older and my conclusion was she most likely had undiagnosed bone cancer.

There's a lot that science doesn't yet know about some of these ailments and new info comes from research almost daily. Thing with cancer is that it requires a somewhat complex interplay of both genetics and environmental factors. Short of massive genetic testing, it'd be difficult for one o know whether they are predisposed or not.

Not forgetting, no two people can ever be the same really. Some will smoke for life and die of old age, others will smoke for 10yrs and die of lung cancer, among others.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Swenani
#42 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2017 12:24:27 PM

Baba sitakufa

Quote:
urvival rates for acute childhood leukemia in India is about 70 per cent. Princess's chances of survival plummeted dangerously when she returned to Kenya, where only one in 10 children survive cancer

Why can't someone just sort our healthcare?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
sitaki.kujulikana
#43 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2017 3:16:50 PM

Swenani wrote:
Baba sitakufa

Quote:
urvival rates for acute childhood leukemia in India is about 70 per cent. Princess's chances of survival plummeted dangerously when she returned to Kenya, where only one in 10 children survive cancer

Why can't someone just sort our healthcare?

Quote:

Treatment is expensive and while oncologists initially thought some children didn't fare well in cancer recovery due to genetic pre-disposition, they now believe it is poverty that contributes to mortality.

our priorities are elsewhere, our turns to eat is the order of the day hapa, I have always thought that things like education, healthcare and security should be at the fore front of any administration wacha sijui SGR, wind mills, super highways, NSE all those should be secondary lakini at the end of the day its mkuki kwa nguruwe, most guys incharge of the same are middle class and above and they are not usually affected by such, so nothing happens.
essyk
#44 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:09:43 PM

It's horrible.
It took away my dad.
"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Bigchick
#45 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:14:50 PM

essyk wrote:
Every person I meet seems to have a relative who is suffering from this thing.
Took away my dad.

Yes.

Very sad and scaring.

From January last year todate I have 4 cases known to me.2 have succumbed and 2 are fighting on.The scaring thing is nobody seems to know cause making it difficult to know how to avoid it or treat it.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
essyk
#46 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 6:23:37 PM

Bigchick wrote:
essyk wrote:
Took away my dad.

Yes.

Very sad and scaring.

From January last year todate I have 4 cases known to me.2 have succumbed and 2 are fighting on.The scaring thing is nobody seems to know cause making it difficult to know how to avoid it or treat it.

Misdiagnosis by doctors.
They put you on medication thinking that they are treating a simple case of acidity or indigestion.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
Forester
#47 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2017 8:07:11 PM

Is Cancer hereditary? My grand dad currently has both colon and prostate cancer. It pains me to see him waste away like that despite going for regular chemo and being treated by one of the best Oncologist in the country. My father, had Multiple Myeloma but through treatment in India and God's grace, pulled through and is back on his feet again and regained his earlier frame - review after 5 years. My dad's brother also had to go for a pet scan though i'm not privy to the results.

Sad Sad Sad

Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs - Farrah Gray.
tycho
#48 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 5:57:57 AM

essyk wrote:
It's horrible.
It took away my dad.

Pole.
Tokyo
#49 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:50:27 AM

Cancer incidences will continue to increase. Pollution and lack of proper disposal of cancer causing agents are the leading causes.
work to prosper
Mainat
#50 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 6:58:05 AM

Early detection is a must to reduce this killer disease, but in most cases especially mashinani, hospitals/clinics don't have the equipment or knowhow.

If you are able, encourage wazazi to go for annual check ups...
Sehemu ndio nyumba
vky
#51 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 8:21:28 AM

i once attended a public lecture on the role of sugar in the growth of cancer cells and the speaker stated that sugar(glucose) fuels most common cancers, that got me thinking in terms of the situation here in Kenya where we have seen a rather steep rise in cancer cases, could it be that our increased intake of sugar over the years could be causing the the surge in mortality rates in cases of cancer, do we have anyone doing research on sugar and its effects on cancer cell growth here in Kenya, if anyone has this data please share here.

my take home point from the lecture was one word, 'KETOSIS' we should all try to do away with dietary sugar because we as human beings do not need it being that the human body can make its own glucose when needed internally and our main source of fuel should be fat and not carbohydrate.

If we go the Ketosis way then i highly suspect that the mortality rates in cancer cases will decrease substantially however early detection is key.
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
masukuma
#52 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 9:02:23 AM

Forester wrote:
Is Cancer hereditary? My grand dad currently has both colon and prostate cancer. It pains me to see him waste away like that despite going for regular chemo and being treated by one of the best Oncologist in the country. My father, had Multiple Myeloma but through treatment in India and God's grace, pulled through and is back on his feet again and regained his earlier frame - review after 5 years. My dad's brother also had to go for a pet scan though i'm not privy to the results.

Sad Sad Sad

some are - in your case... do regular checkups.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Dahatre
#53 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:22:05 AM

Forester wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

Pole sana@Forester. Good lay info about cancer can be found here

As for your question, see highlighted sections in this explanation.

Cancer is a genetic disease—that is, it is caused by changes to genes that control the way our cells function, especially how they grow and divide.

Genetic changes that cause cancer can be inherited from our parents. They can also arise during a person’s lifetime as a result of errors that occur as cells divide or because of damage to DNA caused by certain environmental exposures. Cancer-causing environmental exposures include substances, such as the chemicals in tobacco smoke, and radiation, such as ultraviolet rays from the sun. (Our Cancer Causes and Risk Factors page has more information.)

Each person’s cancer has a unique combination of genetic changes. As the cancer continues to grow, additional changes will occur. Even within the same tumor, different cells may have different genetic changes.

In general, cancer cells have more genetic changes, such as mutations in DNA, than normal cells. Some of these changes may have nothing to do with the cancer; they may be the result of the cancer, rather than its cause.
tnai9
#54 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 10:22:38 AM

masukuma wrote:
Forester wrote:

Sad Sad Sad

some are - in your case... do regular checkups.

This story of genes, very very scary. I know of a family(close to my family)who this morning have lost a 20yr old boy to acute lymphoblastic leukemia after one year of battling. He was in India for like 7 months returned late last year, had been scheduled to go back for bone marrow transplant but it didn't happen. Exactly four weeks ago the same family lost an uncle to the boy(brother to his father) to cancer of the gall bladder(very rare type of cancer), he was about 60 and the thing was discovered while in stage 4. He passed within 1 month of arriving in India. Every body in that family is scared. These things...

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
newfarer
#55 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:00:00 PM

today only I have heard three cases of cancer.hii ni pepo baya.one victim a 13 year old girl with brain cancer
punda amecheka
Invepreneur
#56 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 2:36:06 PM

Mycotoxins- quite overlooked locally..very prevalent in grains; our poor storage practices! ..low-dose exposure over a long time period, resulting in cancers..LinkLinkRink
The hot stock is the one that everyone thinks that everyone else thinks....is the hot stock (Dixit & Nalebuff, 2008).
twesha13
#57 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2017 4:43:48 PM

essyk wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
essyk wrote:
Took away my dad.

Yes.

Very sad and scaring.

Misdiagnosis by doctors.
They put you on medication thinking that they are treating a simple case of acidity or indigestion.

sometimes the doctors have very limited equipment to work with.surely,Kenya cannot afford even one Positron emission tomography scan machine ( PET)?and i thought after some PEPs (politically exposed people)experienced cancer first hand this would be top of our priority .Those who cant afford to go to India for a PET scan will have to settle for the try and error diagnoses
where a woman rules, rivers run uphill!
hardwood
#58 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 11:55:26 AM

hardwood
#59 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 11:58:54 AM

13 Kenyan MPs being treated in India for cancer

https://www.the-star.co....ndia-for-cancer_c1732236
Mukiri
#60 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2018 8:02:22 PM

Make papaya and soar sop part of your diet

Proverbs 19:21