wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages<1234>»
The Cancer Menace
Intelligentsia
#21 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:37:41 PM

I recently buried my mum-in-law.
She was about 60, passed on frm stomach cancer.
We are still wondering how and where she got this menace - i mean she grew up on a diet of tradtl foods kabisa, has no family history of the disease, and zero intake of fast foods. And its only her, no other family members have it - so where did she pick this up?!
For the life of us we just cant understand.

murchr
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:43:33 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:

We are still wondering how and where she got this menace - i mean she grew up on a diet of tradtl foods kabisa, has no family history of the disease, and zero intake of fast foods. And its only her, no other family members have it - so where did she pick this up?!

Water....
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Shak
#23 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 4:53:38 PM

There's also a link between sexually transmitted diseases and cancer. The risk of unprotected sex is too great these days
Angelica _ann
#24 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:15:17 PM

murchr wrote:
Intelligentsia wrote:

Water....

Chemicals through foods Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Obi 1 Kanobi
#25 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:42:16 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Intelligentsia wrote:

Water....

The biggest culprit is weed killers and chemicals recently adopted by our farmers to replace hand weeding. They seep into all sorts of foods from maize (ugali) to sukuma wiki, milk and meat through animal proteins and water through drinking.
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
masukuma
#26 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:45:18 PM

I think Cancers are also a factor of longevity - unlike what you have heard - human beings never used to live to old age in large numbers. I know you have a grand mother/grand father somewhere you point at to say watu wa zamani walikuwa wanaishi sana.... they are more the exception than the norm.
Secondly, the kind of things people eat these days are not good... my suspicion sana sana is mafuta ya transformer being used to fry chips! plus all manner of things that find their way into food production.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Impunity
#27 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 5:54:31 PM

masukuma wrote:
I think Cancers are also a factor of longevity - unlike what you have heard - human beings never used to live to old age in large numbers. I know you have a grand mother/grand father somewhere you point at to say watu wa zamani walikuwa wanaishi sana.... they are more the exception than the norm.
Secondly, the kind of things people eat these days are not good... my suspicion sana sana is mafuta ya transformer being used to fry chips! plus all manner of things that find their way into food production.

Methuselah lived for 969 years and died 1656AM (Anno Mundi, after Creation).

He was @Noah's grandfather, @Noah of teh Ark.

Hio sio kitambo?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Shak
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:59:48 PM

And food additives? Once I learnt that they use bleach in the manufacture of blue band I said never again! And this is what they encourage our kids to eat!
chemirocha
#29 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:06:44 PM

Shak wrote:
And food additives? Once I learnt that they use bleach in the manufacture of blue band I said never again! And this is what they encourage our kids to eat!

For sure margarine is not healthy. But when you mention bleach, hapo umetudanganya.
murchr
#30 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:10:46 PM

masukuma wrote:

What about child cancers?

@Shak, They also bleach unga/sugar to make it "more white" - Benzoyl peroxide &Calcium peroxide.

@Chemirocha yes Chlorine is used to sanitize food.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#31 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:14:28 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
murchr wrote:
Intelligentsia wrote:

Water....

The biggest culprit is weed killers and chemicals recently adopted by our farmers to replace hand weeding. They seep into all sorts of foods from maize (ugali) to sukuma wiki, milk and meat through animal proteins and water through drinking.

If you map cancer occurances in Kenya, most will show up in either N.Eastern, mainly Turkana, Marsabit - those are linked with careless disposal of oil exploration materials, and the other region is upper Eastern, mainly Meru and Nyeri. - Chemicals in agriculture.
Lolest!
#32 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:16:25 PM

masukuma wrote:

My paternal grandparents died at old age

They had 7 children, 4 of whom have since passed at sub 65

2 from cancer
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Lolest!
#33 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:20:38 PM

Shak wrote:
There's also a link between sexually transmitted diseases and cancer. The risk of unprotected sex is too great these days

Protected sex will not stop cervical cancer. It spreads even with protection due to contact huko
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Shak
#34 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:35:31 PM

chemirocha wrote:
Shak wrote:

For sure margarine is not healthy. But when you mention bleach, hapo umetudanganya.

Google is your friend. Bleach is used to give it a pale colour
chemirocha
#35 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 7:44:05 PM

Shak wrote:
chemirocha wrote:
Shak wrote:

Unprocessed margarine is white in colour. You should follow your own advice before peddling tall tales.
masukuma
#36 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:54:20 PM

Lolest! wrote:
masukuma wrote:

My paternal grandparents died at old age

They had 7 children, 4 of whom have since passed at sub 65

2 from cancer

what about their relatives - your grant parents age mates. Hao tunaona ndio walikuwa maSurviver! People used to die like flies.
masukuma
#37 Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:58:25 PM

murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:

What about child cancers?

@Shak, They also bleach unga/sugar to make it "more white" - Benzoyl peroxide &Calcium peroxide.

@Chemirocha yes Chlorine is used to sanitize food.

I suspect the same case... in olden days there was a lot of misattribution. everything that we didn't know was attributed to witchcraft, evil eyes e.t.c.
Check these stats - the 3rd largest killer was witchcraft?
Witchcraft was a label for stuff we didn't understand.
plus the same thing again - lot's of kids are being born (numbers). this is not to excuse chemicals but at that level kids have not ingested much chemicals. plus some cancers are genetic.
Shak
#38 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 5:25:09 PM

chemirocha wrote:
Shak wrote:
chemirocha wrote:
Shak wrote:

Unprocessed margarine is white in colour. You should follow your own advice before peddling tall tales.

Why You Should Avoid Margarine, Shortening and Spreads
There are a myriad of unhealthy components to margarine and other butter imposters, including:
Trans fats: These unnatural fats in margarine, shortenings and spreads are formed during the process of hydrogenation, which turns liquid vegetable oils into a solid fat
Trans fats contribute to heart disease, cancer, bone problems, hormonal imbalance and skin disease; infertility, difficulties in pregnancy and problems with lactation; and low birth weight, growth problems and learning disabilities in children.
A U.S. government panel of scientists determined that man-made trans fats are unsafe at any level. (Small amounts of natural trans fats occur in butter and other animal fats, but these are not harmful.)
Free radicals: Free radicals and other toxic breakdown products are the result of high temperature industrial processing of vegetable oils. They contribute to numerous health problems, including cancer and heart disease.
Synthetic vitamins: Synthetic vitamin A and other vitamins are added to margarine and spreads. These often have an opposite (and detrimental) effect compared to the natural vitamins in butter.
Emulsifiers and preservatives: Numerous additives of questionable safety are added to margarines and spreads. Most vegetable shortening is stabilized with preservatives like BHT.
Hexane and other solvents: Used in the extraction process, these industrial chemicals can have toxic effects.
Bleach: The natural color of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is grey so manufacturers bleach it to make it white. Yellow coloring is then added to margarine and spreads.
Artificial flavors : These help mask the terrible taste and odor of partially hydrogenated oils, and provide a fake butter taste.
Mono- and di-glycerides: These contain trans fats that manufacturers do not have to list on the label. They are used in high amounts in so-called "low-trans" spreads.
Soy protein isolate: This highly processed powder is added to "low-trans" spreads to give them body. It can contribute to thyroid dysfunction, digestive disorders and many other health problems.
Sterols: Often added to spreads to give them cholesterol-lowering qualities, these estrogen compounds can cause endocrine problems; in animals these sterols contribute to sexual inversion.
chemirocha
#39 Posted : Friday, October 14, 2016 9:37:17 PM

Shak wrote:

Why You Should Avoid Margarine, Shortening and Spreads
There are a myriad of unhealthy components to margarine and other butter imposters, including:
Trans fats: These unnatural fats in margarine, shortenings and spreads are formed during the process of hydrogenation, which turns liquid vegetable oils into a solid fat
Trans fats contribute to heart disease, cancer, bone problems, hormonal imbalance and skin disease; infertility, difficulties in pregnancy and problems with lactation; and low birth weight, growth problems and learning disabilities in children.
A U.S. government panel of scientists determined that man-made trans fats are unsafe at any level. (Small amounts of natural trans fats occur in butter and other animal fats, but these are not harmful.)
Free radicals: Free radicals and other toxic breakdown products are the result of high temperature industrial processing of vegetable oils. They contribute to numerous health problems, including cancer and heart disease.
Synthetic vitamins: Synthetic vitamin A and other vitamins are added to margarine and spreads. These often have an opposite (and detrimental) effect compared to the natural vitamins in butter.
Emulsifiers and preservatives: Numerous additives of questionable safety are added to margarines and spreads. Most vegetable shortening is stabilized with preservatives like BHT.
Hexane and other solvents: Used in the extraction process, these industrial chemicals can have toxic effects.
Bleach: The natural color of partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is grey so manufacturers bleach it to make it white. Yellow coloring is then added to margarine and spreads.
Artificial flavors : These help mask the terrible taste and odor of partially hydrogenated oils, and provide a fake butter taste.
Mono- and di-glycerides: These contain trans fats that manufacturers do not have to list on the label. They are used in high amounts in so-called "low-trans" spreads.
Soy protein isolate: This highly processed powder is added to "low-trans" spreads to give them body. It can contribute to thyroid dysfunction, digestive disorders and many other health problems.
Sterols: Often added to spreads to give them cholesterol-lowering qualities, these estrogen compounds can cause endocrine problems; in animals these sterols contribute to sexual inversion.

This copy-paste from social media is laughably incorrect and alarmist.

The raw materials for margarine are vegetable oil and water which in emulsion forms a white substance. This is basic high school chemistry.

You should have just cited hydrogenation which has been linked, by actual scholars, to heart disease.
Rankaz13
#40 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2016 11:11:09 PM

Intelligentsia wrote:

My guess would be water. I lost my dear grandpa a while back to stomach cancer too. In my shags area, clean, treated and piped drinking water was not a reality until some time in the mid 1990s. At the same time, I recall coming across posters and calendars with all manner of agrochemicals (kina round-up, etc) ever since my days as a toddler. The primary economic activity has always been coffee and tea farming.

When it rains, these chemicals will obviously find their way into the local streams via surface run-off, the very streams they relied on for drinking water. Noticed the same all around Meru, Embu, Kirinyaga and adjacent areas. Cancers of the GIT are quite common.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.