wukan
#81 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 6:51:44 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
tony stark wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Na Kirinyaga Rd je? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Westlands an acre is going for easily 300 metre and above. The "average non-corrupt Joe" under 45 cannot obviously afford that, so it is a waste of time to preach the glories of Westlands on Wazoo.

I was on Kirinyaga road just the other day behind that road the area where the grogan mechanics operate there is some huge building coming up there must be like over 10 floors. I was shocked to see that kind of investment in that area. Some investors are clearly seeing the potential of that area. Further up the road the chinese are doing some serious road construction for their ngara project.

The problem with investing in a down at the heels area is that particular strategy is built on the developer's HOPE alone, which IMHO is not a good basis upon which to invest. Some areas just have a bad "taste" in the mouths of the average Kenyan. If you say for example you are going to put a luxury highrise in the middle of Dandora dumpsite, someone may think you have been smoking some bad bangi mbichi.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Wewe wachana na bhangi. Use delusions of granduer as the excuse.
Kirinyaga road is prime for redicovery. It is next to a dirty river that can be cleaned up. That part of nairobi river even has a part ... I think it called michuki park.
Once the mechanics are kicked out... eventuality this place will blow up.
Right now the are has several AirBnB for some studios and they look very busy.
@Mugundaman for some so pro property I don't understand why you can't see the current ability and future potential of Kirinyaga road. I can easily see this place becoming a Nairobi "canary wharf"

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Kirinyaga road. I am just knocking the idea of Wukan's idea of luxury bedsitters on Kirinyaga road as it is Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
The guy said he does not do Githurai 44 type typical Kenyan bedsitters but will do the high end New York style massive studio apartments (his idea of a bedsitter). Imagine forking 150k a month for a ka-one room with view like below. Haiwesekani jameni. Now those are the real delusions of grandeur from bangi mbichi! Laughing out loudly Fix the basic garbage collection, river pollution sewerage and clutter. I hope you are also joking that Kirinyaga rd can become Canary Wharf Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . Maybe only if the entire street is torn down to crumbs.

https://www.nation.co.ke...5564-34tfysz/index.html

@mugundaMan you need to be sleeping more the lack of sleep is self evident. I posted up there about how westlands is transforming into a hub and you told to stop because wazoo cannot afford 300m an acre as if studio/1b apts in westlands cost that much. I have told you the next area of transformation will the ngara area-it has much better commanding view of the city. You still arguing like a recently arrived diaspora. Yet property developers are already on the ground putting their millions to work. You ridiculed my idea of bedsitters yet on kipkabus road (near stima plaza) a developer is topping out on youth apartment must be like 10 floors.

That picture you have posted is the proposed link road between Accra road and ngara area under the Eastern missing links road project. There will be 15 mt span bridge over the nairobi river. That means the area is about to open up in a big way which should explain why developers are pushing developments in the area. You will be surprised to see the place where Edermann is putting 34 floor apartments. You keep waiting for the garbage to be cleared it will too late.

Honestly where did I say 150K rentals on kirinyaga road(what are you smoking?).
MugundaMan
#82 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:31:25 AM

wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tony stark wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Westlands an acre is going for easily 300 metre and above. The "average non-corrupt Joe" under 45 cannot obviously afford that, so it is a waste of time to preach the glories of Westlands on Wazoo.

I was on Kirinyaga road just the other day behind that road the area where the grogan mechanics operate there is some huge building coming up there must be like over 10 floors. I was shocked to see that kind of investment in that area. Some investors are clearly seeing the potential of that area. Further up the road the chinese are doing some serious road construction for their ngara project.

The problem with investing in a down at the heels area is that particular strategy is built on the developer's HOPE alone, which IMHO is not a good basis upon which to invest. Some areas just have a bad "taste" in the mouths of the average Kenyan. If you say for example you are going to put a luxury highrise in the middle of Dandora dumpsite, someone may think you have been smoking some bad bangi mbichi.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Kirinyaga road is prime for redicovery. It is next to a dirty river that can be cleaned up. That part of nairobi river even has a part ... I think it called michuki park.
@Mugundaman for some so pro property I don't understand why you can't see the current ability and future potential of Kirinyaga road. I can easily see this place becoming a Nairobi "canary wharf"

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking Kirinyaga road. I am just knocking the idea of Wukan's idea of luxury bedsitters on Kirinyaga road as it is Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
The guy said he does not do Githurai 44 type typical Kenyan bedsitters but will do the high end New York style massive studio apartments (his idea of a bedsitter). Imagine forking 150k a month for a ka-one room with view like below. Haiwesekani jameni. Now those are the real delusions of grandeur from bangi mbichi! Laughing out loudly Fix the basic garbage collection, river pollution sewerage and clutter. I hope you are also joking that Kirinyaga rd can become Canary Wharf Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly . Maybe only if the entire street is torn down to crumbs.

@mugundaMan you need to be sleeping more the lack of sleep is self evident. I posted up there about how westlands is transforming into a hub and you told to stop because wazoo cannot afford 300m an acre as if studio/1b apts in westlands cost that much. I have told you the next area of transformation will the ngara area-it has much better commanding view of the city. You still arguing like a recently arrived diaspora. Yet property developers are already on the ground putting their millions to work. You ridiculed my idea of bedsitters yet on kipkabus road (near stima plaza) a developer is topping out on youth apartment must be like 10 floors.

That picture you have posted is the proposed link road between Accra road and ngara area under the Eastern missing links road project. There will be 15 mt span bridge over the nairobi river. That means the area is about to open up in a big way which should explain why developers are pushing developments in the area. You will be surprised to see the place where Edermann is putting 34 floor apartments. You keep waiting for the garbage to be cleared it will too late.

But what does Westlands and Ngara have to do with the Kirinyaga rd you claimed you wanted to put high rise bedsitters on? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

http://wazua.co.ke/forum...px?g=posts&m=845588

wukan
#83 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 10:02:49 AM

Quote:
Global Credit Rating (GCR) has downgraded the rating for Cytonn Investments citing the company’s curtailed access to commercial bank loans and facilities as well as its model of using short-term debt to fund long-term projects.

GCR also cites Cytonn’s short track record and untested ability to execute multiple real estate projects as part of the reason for downgrading. Interestingly the group’s receivable grew much faster than revenue. Overall aggressive rollout of projects and dysfunctional appetite for debt could deteriorate the situation.

“The ratings are currently constrained by Cytonn’s curtailed access to capital given limited recourse to bank facilities. As such, group debt is largely comprised of short-dated loans/notes from mezzanine investors….. ” noted the South African based rating agency in a statement on its website.

“Cytonn reflects negative earnings-based gearing, on the back of operating losses. As such, a trajectory of robust profitability will have to be achieved to support sound debt to EBITDA and debt serviceability ratios.” the statement goes on.

GCR also warns that Cytonn could default its debt obligations mainly because of delays in project execution and unit uptake or unmitigated regulatory, construction and market risks which are impacting the company’s cash management solution dubbed “Cytonn High Yield” Solutions.
https://kenyanwallstreet...ty-ratio-worsens-to-86/

Real estate will start chewing up ambitions. Unit uptake is low so kenyans don't want to buy high end in the outskirts. Mido crass has run out of money
MugundaMan
#84 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 10:14:35 AM

wukan wrote:
Quote:
Global Credit Rating (GCR) has downgraded the rating for Cytonn Investments citing the company’s curtailed access to commercial bank loans and facilities as well as its model of using short-term debt to fund long-term projects.

GCR also cites Cytonn’s short track record and untested ability to execute multiple real estate projects as part of the reason for downgrading. Interestingly the group’s receivable grew much faster than revenue. Overall aggressive rollout of projects and dysfunctional appetite for debt could deteriorate the situation.

“The ratings are currently constrained by Cytonn’s curtailed access to capital given limited recourse to bank facilities. As such, group debt is largely comprised of short-dated loans/notes from mezzanine investors….. ” noted the South African based rating agency in a statement on its website.

“Cytonn reflects negative earnings-based gearing, on the back of operating losses. As such, a trajectory of robust profitability will have to be achieved to support sound debt to EBITDA and debt serviceability ratios.” the statement goes on.

GCR also warns that Cytonn could default its debt obligations mainly because of delays in project execution and unit uptake or unmitigated regulatory, construction and market risks which are impacting the company’s cash management solution dubbed “Cytonn High Yield” Solutions.
https://kenyanwallstreet...ty-ratio-worsens-to-86/

Real estate will start chewing up ambitions. Unit uptake is low so kenyans don't want to buy high end in the outskirts. Mido crass has run out of money

Laughing out loudly Keep hope alive my braddahLaughing out loudly
Illiquid Cytonn is by no stretch of the imagination a representation of the Kenyan real estate sector.
tony stark
#85 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 3:49:51 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tony stark wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

But what does Westlands and Ngara have to do with the Kirinyaga rd you claimed you wanted to put high rise bedsitters on? Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

@Wukan I 100% agree with you!
I have seen the studios on Kirinyaga road and was disappointed I missed out in investing. The developments in downtown CBD and Ngara will change the whole area for better.

@Mugunda maybe canary wharf was hyperbole but if you think about it this whole area is prime for redevelopment and if you read on Canary Wharf history that place was probably worse than how Kirinyaga road is now.
Kate_Mbarire
#86 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2018 9:24:57 PM

tony stark wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
tony stark wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:
wukan wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

@Wukan I 100% agree with you!
I have seen the studios on Kirinyaga road and was disappointed I missed out in investing. The developments in downtown CBD and Ngara will change the whole area for better.

@Mugunda maybe canary wharf was hyperbole but if you think about it this whole area is prime for redevelopment and if you read on Canary Wharf history that place was probably worse than how Kirinyaga road is now.

@Wukan and @Tony Stark(Tony Stark your pseudoname reminds me of Rob Stark of GOT-Game of Thrones) ....you guys have just said it like it is...I also regret not buying one or two units at kirinyaga road.Mingi respect both of you deserve prime cuts of mogoka from my home county and district of Mbeeresmile
MugundaMan
#87 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 7:33:46 AM

Eagle Towers Kirinyaga Rd still has no takers (neither for rent nor for sale) so you guys DID NOT miss any opportunity whatsoever. You can still buy Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

https://firstavenueprope...-towers-kirinyaga-road/

5m for a very funny looking studio, 40-50k per month rental. Ask yourselves, who in their right minds would want to live there and pay 40k (service charge exclusive)? Even you yourselves if you are honest, you will admit you may buy for speculation but not to live there. Check back in 5 years..these same same studios will still be going for 5m or 40k rent with NO TAKERS even then! Unless Kirinyaga Rd turns into the Canary Wharf Tony Stark speaks of! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

wukan
#88 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 10:08:48 AM

On May 18, 2009 the originator of this thread @tusker baridi was wondering:-

Quote:
Does the following make sense to anyone? A typical house in leafy estates such as Lavington,Runda,Karen,and Kitisuru sells for between Ksh. 25 to 50 million. Never mind that in some of these places,there are hardly any roads to talk about. The average income in rent will be between Ksh. 120,000 and 250,000 before paying agents,city council and land rates,and maintenance expenses. An average mortgage of Ksh. 35 million requires monthly repayments of around Ksh. 400,000 and 500,000 for 20yrs,which is more than double the income.

This scenario is repeated across the entire formal housing sector. 3-bedroom units at Langata and South B ask for between Ksh. 5 and 7 million and fetch monthly rent of between Ksh. 25,000 and 40,000 to 45,000 if you are very lucky. The average financing for this requires repayments of about Ksh. 80,000 per month for 20yrs. This is Ksh. 40,000 more that the rent income.

Langata is now in the ranges of 20-26m & South B for between 15-22m. Lucky guys who bought at 5-7m.smile smile

Kate_Mbarire
#89 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 10:12:48 AM

wukan wrote:
On May 18, 2009 the originator of this thread @tusker baridi was wondering:-

Quote:
Does the following make sense to anyone? A typical house in leafy estates such as Lavington,Runda,Karen,and Kitisuru sells for between Ksh. 25 to 50 million. Never mind that in some of these places,there are hardly any roads to talk about. The average income in rent will be between Ksh. 120,000 and 250,000 before paying agents,city council and land rates,and maintenance expenses. An average mortgage of Ksh. 35 million requires monthly repayments of around Ksh. 400,000 and 500,000 for 20yrs,which is more than double the income.

This scenario is repeated across the entire formal housing sector. 3-bedroom units at Langata and South B ask for between Ksh. 5 and 7 million and fetch monthly rent of between Ksh. 25,000 and 40,000 to 45,000 if you are very lucky. The average financing for this requires repayments of about Ksh. 80,000 per month for 20yrs. This is Ksh. 40,000 more that the rent income.

Langata is now in the ranges of 20-26m & South B for between 15-22m. Lucky guys who bought at 5-7m.smile smile

Yeah....these guys are now laughing all the way to the bank or barLaughing out loudly to get property in langata or southB these days you really have to cough a lot of money like you said.2008...this was just 10years ago and yet the landscape has changed so much!
Chaka
#90 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 10:37:33 AM

Kate_Mbarire wrote:

Yeah....these guys are now laughing all the way to the bank or barLaughing out loudly to get property in langata or southB these days you really have to cough a lot of money like you said.2008...this was just 10years ago and yet the landscape has changed so much!
[/quote]

My question would be this:Is "past" performance in real estate and indicator of future performance?
whiteowl
#91 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 10:43:00 AM

MugundaMan wrote:
Eagle Towers Kirinyaga Rd still has no takers (neither for rent nor for sale) so you guys DID NOT miss any opportunity whatsoever. You can still buy Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

5m for a very funny looking studio, 40-50k per month rental. Ask yourselves, who in their right minds would want to live there and pay 40k (service charge exclusive)? Even you yourselves if you are honest, you will admit you may buy for speculation but not to live there. Check back in 5 years..these same same studios will still be going for 5m or 40k rent with NO TAKERS even then! Unless Kirinyaga Rd turns into the Canary Wharf Tony Stark speaks of! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Thika Arcade is one of biggest buildings in Thika CBD.During the 90's I used to think that the owner was very stupid for having such a huge building that was vacant past the first floor.Today it fetches 50k/month rent even for the top floors.In real estate,if the location is right you can only get burned by financing a project with short term credit.
VituVingiSana
#92 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 10:52:04 AM

whiteowl wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

Thika Arcade is one of biggest buildings in Thika CBD.During the 90's I used to think that the owner was very stupid for having such a huge building that was vacant past the first floor.Today it fetches 50k/month rent even for the top floors.In real estate,if the location is right you can only get burned by financing a project with short term credit.
How long was it vacant?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
wukan
#93 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 11:37:00 AM

Chaka wrote:
Kate_Mbarire wrote:

My question would be this:Is "past" performance in real estate and indicator of future performance?
[/quote]

Quote:
Age structure: 0-14 years: 40.02% (male 9,557,274/female 9,497,870)
15-24 years: 19.15% (male 4,552,448/female 4,567,894)
25-54 years: 33.91% (male 8,170,264/female 7,976,751)
55-64 years: 3.92% (male 856,092/female 1,009,075)
65 years and over: 3% (male 614,751/female 813,320) (2017 est.)

Do you see all those kids 0-14 years most of them want to come to Nairobi the city of dreams. The guys between 25-54 are the ones required to provide capital for the real estate for that next generation. You can't be doing less than 10 floors in Nairobi if you are ever going to accommodate that bulge. That's the indicator of future performance of the real estate.

MugundaMan
#94 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 12:25:24 PM

Wukan is very funny!
When you corner him on Kirinyaga rd he mentions everything else (including Westlands Laughing out loudly ) BUT Kirinyaga rd!
Mara ooo look at Ngara
Ooo look at Langata
Ooo look at South B.
First, he doesn't stop to explain how a 3br from 2009 at 7m in South B is affiliated with a BEDSITTER in Kirinyaga rd.
Second, even if we run with his argument of comparing apples with oranges, he doesn't stop to ask why a 5m bed sitter on Kirinyaga rd has remained at 5m and not risen since 2009 to 26m like Langata Laughing out loudly
MugundaMan
#95 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 12:28:32 PM

whiteowl wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

I would build in Thika CBD all day any day over bedsitters on Kirinyaga rd! Just go and walk hapo Grogon on a good day and come back and report whether it is comparable to Thika CBD in any way, shape, form or fashion. Laughing out loudly
whiteowl
#96 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 1:29:57 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
whiteowl wrote:
MugundaMan wrote:

How long was it vacant?

I dont have an exact timeline but it was quite a number of years during Moi era.When Kibaki took over,the economy took off and it started enjoying full occupancy and other taller buildings started coming up.
Chaka
#97 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 1:32:58 PM

whiteowl wrote:

I hope that investor is enjoying the fruits of his labour i,e that the initial lack of tenants did not stress him/her and give him/her hypertension?
wukan
#98 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 1:43:08 PM

MugundaMan wrote:
Wukan is very funny!
When you corner him on Kirinyaga rd he mentions everything else (including Westlands Laughing out loudly ) BUT Kirinyaga rd!
Mara ooo look at Ngara
Ooo look at Langata
Ooo look at South B.
First, he doesn't stop to explain how a 3br from 2009 at 7m in South B is affiliated with a BEDSITTER in Kirinyaga rd.
Second, even if we run with his argument of comparing apples with oranges, he doesn't stop to ask why a 5m bed sitter on Kirinyaga rd has remained at 5m and not risen since 2009 to 26m like Langata Laughing out loudly

Gosh! I wouldn't want to hangout with you at a cocktail, you can't move a conversation forwardPray I have to spell it out for you. I'm just posting stuff on the nairobi real estate as the title of this thread is "Insightful take on Nairobi Real Estate". Your insights on nairobi real estate are most welcome. If you have none then stick to dustbowl insights
whiteowl
#99 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 2:32:39 PM

Chaka wrote:
whiteowl wrote:

I hope that investor is enjoying the fruits of his labour i,e that the initial lack of tenants did not stress him/her and give him/her hypertension?

He is all good.Plus he had the advantage of acquiring the land at a very low price.Building in Thika town in the 90's is the equivalent of buying land in Nairobi CBD in the 70's.The capital gains for the piece of land is more than enough payoff for the depressed rent earnings he endured.
MugundaMan
#100 Posted : Wednesday, November 07, 2018 8:59:36 PM

wukan wrote:

Gosh! I wouldn't want to hangout with you at a cocktail, you can't move a conversation forwardPray I have to spell it out for you. I'm just posting stuff on the nairobi real estate as the title of this thread is "Insightful take on Nairobi Real Estate". Your insights on nairobi real estate are most welcome. If you have none then stick to dustbowl insights

You mean regarding the Kirinyaga Rd "luxury bedsitters?" Laughing out loudly
Who brought them up on this forum?
And isn't Kirinyaga rd in Nairobi and hence worthy of this discussion?