Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<78910>
Making the Ugali Machine
masukuma
#161 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 8:21:43 PM

tycho wrote:
masukuma wrote:
tycho wrote:
Yaani, mtu anaeza bembelezwa kula ugali?

Kweli dunia ina mambo.

Eh... na akatae!!!

No problem. Vyakula ni vingi.

Anjera iko pia. Unaeza kuja na yako pia...

Yes... mimi na chakula ya jela tumekosana.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Hmmmn
#162 Posted : Sunday, August 26, 2018 6:01:13 AM

Waah...Aisee..Mashakura ni mingi...Kama hupendi aina fulani option ni nyingi...

But seriously their are some valid points about complacency in our thinking...Ngonja hata mimi nitafute patent ya my invention...
Ce n’est pas si grave...
simonkabz
#163 Posted : Monday, August 27, 2018 12:00:05 PM

masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

So did @masukuma upgrade from ugali to waru a.k.a potato?

Traditional British dinner.

My dinner ugali na beef, sukuma.

I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.

Laughing out loudly Someone hijacked Mavegges kitchen and completely colonized his taste buds eventually changing his view of food.

Just as an FYI - Apart from the waru which i would compare to our mukimo kimanga or matoke. Mzungu's equivalent of ugali like food is gritz which is almost like Njenga and Polenta which is more firm and ugali like.

Grits (Mostly American) Can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Flour

End product. Its made abit wet if its breakfast....kama uji.

Polenta (Italian - European)
Unga

Meal

Ofcourse mzungu plays with his recipes so there are various variations of Polenta and grits that you can get out there.

Yes... people should try harder! And plus... Mzungus (with the exception of a few groups) are also as unimaginative in food matters just like us. For real eating experiences - go to Asia! Now those are people who know that each meal is an important meal.

No need to try harder, you actually shock me. Go to western, ocha huko ndani. Get a Lunje mamaa to make you an ugali-greens meal.
You'll eat your fingers.

Most of mzungu foods are useless, so tasteless and unfulfilling, so much so that you start missing Kenya on Day 1.

Asian foods maybe... The variety is astounding, with a very rich variety of spices.

But you saying Ugali is tasteless/for the lazy cooks sijui nini........that allegation is deep. A Majority of Kenyans must therefore be missing taste buds or are crazy.

Ugali doesn't impress me much. Of course if I stay too long without it I eat and it's tasty but after that.... meh!!! Asia is everything when it comes to meals... even a poor Asian eats better than a rich European

Asia is close to being as big as Africa if not bigger as far as food is concerned.

Asia's staple food is white rice - Wali ukipenda na ndengu

Ndengu can be stored of kept to grow sprouts to make noodles. the dish looks like this

Vietnamese make noodles from rice (pho) brought to the table with some herbs, hot soup and some rawish meat

So what Asia?

Boss you are looking for it... Anything in Asia is better than Ugali! Even a plain chilli is better than ugali. People be more imaginative... Steps to cook ugali
1) add maize flour to boiling water
2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...

Chili is spice not food. Now you can say you like spiced food which is ok but ugali is the substitute to rice any wheaty food, roti bread or noodles

Not everyone makes ugali as you, there are those who salt it, add butter, cook with milk instead of water. In short you are the Michael Angelo of your Ugali.

Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim his tigritude, he pounces"... you cannot convince me of Ugali... I have eaten that pasty stuff all my life... if there was anything Ugali would have done to change my mind - it would have done it a long time ago!

How about roast potatoes?
1. Pick up a few potatoes from wherever.
2. Throw them into the hot ash/ jiko/ grill or whatever will roast them.
3. Eat to your fill once they are cooked.
Now, is there anything lazier than that, if laziness is the issue?

Just like many carbs, ugali might not have a very appealing taste on its own. Same as rice (labda uweke chumvi), nduma, plain chapati (without salt, sugar or other additives).

I really dont get your argument, it sounds rather moot......

But I see we are together on the Asian foods, esp Indian. In Europe you can easily die of starvation. Kila kitu ni ngano ........
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
masukuma
#164 Posted : Saturday, September 01, 2018 4:48:12 AM

simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.

Laughing out loudly Someone hijacked Mavegges kitchen and completely colonized his taste buds eventually changing his view of food.

Just as an FYI - Apart from the waru which i would compare to our mukimo kimanga or matoke. Mzungu's equivalent of ugali like food is gritz which is almost like Njenga and Polenta which is more firm and ugali like.

Flour

Unga

Meal

Ofcourse mzungu plays with his recipes so there are various variations of Polenta and grits that you can get out there.

Yes... people should try harder! And plus... Mzungus (with the exception of a few groups) are also as unimaginative in food matters just like us. For real eating experiences - go to Asia! Now those are people who know that each meal is an important meal.

No need to try harder, you actually shock me. Go to western, ocha huko ndani. Get a Lunje mamaa to make you an ugali-greens meal.
You'll eat your fingers.

Most of mzungu foods are useless, so tasteless and unfulfilling, so much so that you start missing Kenya on Day 1.

Asian foods maybe... The variety is astounding, with a very rich variety of spices.

But you saying Ugali is tasteless/for the lazy cooks sijui nini........that allegation is deep. A Majority of Kenyans must therefore be missing taste buds or are crazy.

Ugali doesn't impress me much. Of course if I stay too long without it I eat and it's tasty but after that.... meh!!! Asia is everything when it comes to meals... even a poor Asian eats better than a rich European

Asia is close to being as big as Africa if not bigger as far as food is concerned.

Ndengu can be stored of kept to grow sprouts to make noodles. the dish looks like this

Vietnamese make noodles from rice (pho) brought to the table with some herbs, hot soup and some rawish meat

So what Asia?

Boss you are looking for it... Anything in Asia is better than Ugali! Even a plain chilli is better than ugali. People be more imaginative... Steps to cook ugali
2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...

Chili is spice not food. Now you can say you like spiced food which is ok but ugali is the substitute to rice any wheaty food, roti bread or noodles

Not everyone makes ugali as you, there are those who salt it, add butter, cook with milk instead of water. In short you are the Michael Angelo of your Ugali.

Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim his tigritude, he pounces"... you cannot convince me of Ugali... I have eaten that pasty stuff all my life... if there was anything Ugali would have done to change my mind - it would have done it a long time ago!

Just like many carbs, ugali might not have a very appealing taste on its own. Same as rice (labda uweke chumvi), nduma, plain chapati (without salt, sugar or other additives).

But I see we are together on the Asian foods, esp Indian. In Europe you can easily die of starvation. Kila kitu ni ngano ........

Hizo zote umetaja I react to them like this!
simonkabz
#165 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 1:19:22 PM

masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

You'll eat your fingers.

So what Asia?

2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...

Hizo zote umetaja I react to them like this!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
AlphDoti
#166 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 2:36:36 PM

Once I invited some visiting Chinese associates of mine home. And I informed them they were going to eat a special delicacy... My wife cooked ugali and I had someone to roast a mbuzi... Later they told me, they had never eaten anything so tasteless in this world than that white thing! I understood kumbe only ourselves know the value of our unique food - the ugali!
hardwood
#167 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 3:00:48 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
Once I invited some visiting Chinese associates of mine home. And I informed them they were going to eat a special delicacy... My wife cooked ugali and I had someone to roast a mbuzi... Later they told me, they had never eaten anything so tasteless in this world than that white thing! I understood kumbe only ourselves know the value of our unique food - the ugali!

Laughing out loudly That said it is extremely uncouth to talk negatively about your host's food.
hardwood
#168 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 3:26:41 PM

hardwood wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

Laughing out loudly That said it is extremely uncouth to talk negatively about your host's food.

However, I'd never join them for some chinese food.

AlphDoti
#169 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 4:04:39 PM

hardwood wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

First, understand that English vocabulary to them is limited, so tasteless is direct translation which is another way saying "no flavour" etc. Secondly they are kinda honest in giving opinion. So we didn't take it personal. We laughed it off... and they struggled with nyamchom...
hardwood
#170 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 7:36:45 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
hardwood wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

First, understand that English vocabulary to them is limited, so tasteless is direct translation which is another way saying "no flavour" etc. Secondly they are kinda honest in giving opinion. So we didn't take it personal. We laughed it off... and they struggled with nyamchom...

Asian food has alot of spices so they may have expected some spices in the ugali. Personally i dont like spices coz they mask the flavour of the food.
masukuma
#171 Posted : Monday, September 03, 2018 11:30:18 PM

hardwood wrote:
hardwood wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

However, I'd never join them for some chinese food.

I bet hiyo mbwa iko na flavour kushinda ugali!
hardwood
#172 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2018 2:20:49 PM

masukuma wrote:

I bet hiyo mbwa iko na flavour kushinda ugali!

Compare like for like. Ugali, the starch bit of a meal, can only be compared to their rice or noodles. Anyway from your comments it seems when you go asian, there is no turning back...you go the whole hog ...or is it the whole serpent?

hardwood
#173 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2018 8:33:58 PM

masukuma wrote:
Ugali ... 0 creativity
steps to cook ugali
1) boil water
2) pour flour into water
3) stir
4) wait
5) repeat 2, 3 and 4 until the house stinks

Just about to enjoy my ugali dinner. Continue barking.....mimi niko sawa with ugali.

Coolbull
#174 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 2:05:07 PM

Finally here is the machine....

Almost there
kayhara
#175 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 3:49:35 PM

Coolbull wrote:

Almost there

This is cool, number ten unga from a counter top kisiagi, get dry maize from ocha mill kidogo kidogo,
I bet the price is prohibitive Muharata guys who make kisiagis should come-up with a cheaper kenyan
version.
To Each His Own
murchr
#176 Posted : Monday, October 01, 2018 3:56:02 PM

kayhara wrote:
Coolbull wrote:

Almost there

This is cool, number ten unga from a counter top kisiagi, get dry maize from ocha mill kidogo kidogo,
I bet the price is prohibitive Muharata guys who make kisiagis should come-up with a cheaper kenyan
version.

$169.00 from Amazon
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#177 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 12:19:12 AM

@hardwood will never go hungry when visiting Mexico

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
masukuma
#178 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2019 6:49:01 AM

AlphDoti wrote:

lol...it is pretty tasteless...
eduu
#179 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2019 5:06:24 AM

hardwood
#180 Posted : Thursday, August 08, 2019 5:36:42 PM

Eating ukali in kenia.....