wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<678910>
Making the Ugali Machine
murchr
#141 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:29:53 PM

We need a food revolution
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#142 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:43:49 PM

masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
[quote=hardwood]Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

So did @masukuma upgrade from ugali to waru a.k.a potato?

Traditional British dinner.

http://englishenglish.bi...14/01/Sunday-Dinner.jpg

My dinner ugali na beef, sukuma.

https://img-global.cpcdn.../1200x630cq70/photo.jpg[/quote]
I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.

Ugali on it's own is so bila imagination... 0 creativity
steps to cook ugali
1) boil water
2) pour flour into water
3) stir
4) wait
5) repeat 2, 3 and 4 until the house stinks

Kumbe Italians have already done what I was recommending i.e upgrading ugali, and ugali comes in many shapes and fashions. All we need is imagination.

Ugali chips

Ugali chips and steak

Ugali sukuma with shrimp a.k.a Polenta Bruschetta with Shrimp and Spinach Pesto

Ugali lasagna

Ugali with mushroom

Polentapizza von Fanca

Orange & almond polenta cake

masukuma
#143 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:37:09 PM

murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.

Laughing out loudly Someone hijacked Mavegges kitchen and completely colonized his taste buds eventually changing his view of food.

Just as an FYI - Apart from the waru which i would compare to our mukimo kimanga or matoke. Mzungu's equivalent of ugali like food is gritz which is almost like Njenga and Polenta which is more firm and ugali like.

Grits (Mostly American) Can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Flour

End product. Its made abit wet if its breakfast....kama uji.

Polenta (Italian - European)
Unga

Meal

Ofcourse mzungu plays with his recipes so there are various variations of Polenta and grits that you can get out there.

Yes... people should try harder! And plus... Mzungus (with the exception of a few groups) are also as unimaginative in food matters just like us. For real eating experiences - go to Asia! Now those are people who know that each meal is an important meal.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
hardwood
#144 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:59:54 PM

I want to import some ugali making machines (kama hiyo nimeweka hapo juu) from Italy and I want you @masukuma (and wazuans) to be one of my customers. Bei is less than a ching chong smart phone.
simonkabz
#145 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 1:56:54 PM

masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

Laughing out loudly Someone hijacked Mavegges kitchen and completely colonized his taste buds eventually changing his view of food.

Just as an FYI - Apart from the waru which i would compare to our mukimo kimanga or matoke. Mzungu's equivalent of ugali like food is gritz which is almost like Njenga and Polenta which is more firm and ugali like.

Flour

Unga

Meal

Ofcourse mzungu plays with his recipes so there are various variations of Polenta and grits that you can get out there.

Yes... people should try harder! And plus... Mzungus (with the exception of a few groups) are also as unimaginative in food matters just like us. For real eating experiences - go to Asia! Now those are people who know that each meal is an important meal.

No need to try harder, you actually shock me. Go to western, ocha huko ndani. Get a Lunje mamaa to make you an ugali-greens meal.
You'll eat your fingers.

Most of mzungu foods are useless, so tasteless and unfulfilling, so much so that you start missing Kenya on Day 1.

Asian foods maybe... The variety is astounding, with a very rich variety of spices.

But you saying Ugali is tasteless/for the lazy cooks sijui nini........that allegation is deep. A Majority of Kenyans must therefore be missing taste buds or are crazy.
TULIA.........UFUNZWE!
hardwood
#146 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2018 2:31:24 PM

Zambians have already made the ugali making machine.

Meanwhile there are other compact and cool ugali machines.

ForSport2
#147 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 5:07:47 PM

masukuma
#148 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 7:44:33 PM

simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

No need to try harder, you actually shock me. Go to western, ocha huko ndani. Get a Lunje mamaa to make you an ugali-greens meal.
You'll eat your fingers.

Most of mzungu foods are useless, so tasteless and unfulfilling, so much so that you start missing Kenya on Day 1.

Asian foods maybe... The variety is astounding, with a very rich variety of spices.

But you saying Ugali is tasteless/for the lazy cooks sijui nini........that allegation is deep. A Majority of Kenyans must therefore be missing taste buds or are crazy.

Ugali doesn't impress me much. Of course if I stay too long without it I eat and it's tasty but after that.... meh!!! Asia is everything when it comes to meals... even a poor Asian eats better than a rich European
murchr
#149 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 8:02:52 PM

masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

You'll eat your fingers.

Ugali doesn't impress me much. Of course if I stay too long without it I eat and it's tasty but after that.... meh!!! Asia is everything when it comes to meals... even a poor Asian eats better than a rich European

Asia is close to being as big as Africa if not bigger as far as food is concerned.

Asia's staple food is white rice - Wali ukipenda na ndengu

Ndengu can be stored of kept to grow sprouts to make noodles. the dish looks like this

Vietnamese make noodles from rice (pho) brought to the table with some herbs, hot soup and some rawish meat

So what Asia?

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
masukuma
#150 Posted : Thursday, August 23, 2018 11:48:32 PM

murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

You'll eat your fingers.

Asia is close to being as big as Africa if not bigger as far as food is concerned.

Ndengu can be stored of kept to grow sprouts to make noodles. the dish looks like this

Vietnamese make noodles from rice (pho) brought to the table with some herbs, hot soup and some rawish meat

So what Asia?

Boss you are looking for it... Anything in Asia is better than Ugali! Even a plain chilli is better than ugali. People be more imaginative... Steps to cook ugali
1) add maize flour to boiling water
2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...
murchr
#151 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 12:22:30 AM

masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

You'll eat your fingers.

So what Asia?

Boss you are looking for it... Anything in Asia is better than Ugali! Even a plain chilli is better than ugali. People be more imaginative... Steps to cook ugali
2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...

Chili is spice not food. Now you can say you like spiced food which is ok but ugali is the substitute to rice any wheaty food, roti bread or noodles

Not everyone makes ugali as you, there are those who salt it, add butter, cook with milk instead of water. In short you are the Michael Angelo of your Ugali.
masukuma
#152 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 1:31:45 AM

murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
masukuma wrote:
simonkabz wrote:
masukuma wrote:
murchr wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Flour

Unga

Meal

You'll eat your fingers.

So what Asia?

2) stir
3) smell
4) go to 1 or 2 above
5) serve

Please...

Chili is spice not food. Now you can say you like spiced food which is ok but ugali is the substitute to rice any wheaty food, roti bread or noodles

Not everyone makes ugali as you, there are those who salt it, add butter, cook with milk instead of water. In short you are the Michael Angelo of your Ugali.

Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim his tigritude, he pounces"... you cannot convince me of Ugali... I have eaten that pasty stuff all my life... if there was anything Ugali would have done to change my mind - it would have done it a long time ago!
hardwood
#153 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 11:26:44 AM

murchr wrote:

If this is what they serve in asia, and is what makes @masukuma salivate, let me stick to my dry fry or wet fry nyama and ugali. That asian food is too maji maji and looks terrible and unappetizing. The meat looks raw. Also where is the starch or it's those tiny noodles? Can one get sleep after eating noodles? One needs a lump of ugali to stretch the stomach and feel satisfied.
murchr
#154 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 6:23:58 PM

hardwood wrote:
murchr wrote:

If this is what they serve in asia, and is what makes @masukuma salivate, let me stick to my dry fry or wet fry nyama and ugali. That asian food is too maji maji and looks terrible and unappetizing. The meat looks raw. Also where is the starch or it's those tiny noodles? Can one get sleep after eating noodles? One needs a lump of ugali to stretch the stomach and feel satisfied.

Maybe mavegges never meant to imply this dish from Vietnam. But Japanese have sushi, again rice with some vinegar wrapped on fish or some veggies/fruits with some salt and sugar seasoning

@hardwood you should shock your taste buds sometimes
tycho
#155 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 7:09:33 PM

Those who live to eat are also ugali machines...

Starch is 'tasteless'. Why is my mouth watering?

Or how is it that saltless avocado and ugali inatembea tu vizuri?

Or ugali dipped in sugar? Or honey?

Siku moja jaribu ugali na ngwaci. Na katurungi bira shukari.
Kusadikika
#156 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 7:51:22 PM

masukuma wrote:
Wole Soyinka once said "A tiger does not proclaim his tigritude, he pounces"... you cannot convince me of Ugali... I have eaten that pasty stuff all my life... if there was anything Ugali would have done to change my mind - it would have done it a long time ago!

@Masukuma, usidharau ugali because of how it was made at your place. Mimi nilidharau githeri because of how it was made. My mum is the most unimaginative person when it comes to food and her favorite food was githeri which had 4 ingredients water, maize, beans, salt and occasionally some potatoes would be dropped in. No spices, no nothing. Even the githeri I ate in school tasted better. So my escape food was ugali because the mboga even if badly cooked had some better taste. It is only late in life that I could bring myself to eat githeri again when I discovered it can be made delicious. Give yourself a chance and find a good Luhya or Luo woman akupikie Ugali na samaki or Ugali na mrenda.

While we are on this topic Mark Wiens probably has the best job in the world and he thinks everything in the world is tasty. He eats everything.
tycho
#157 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2018 8:57:14 PM

Yaani, mtu anaeza bembelezwa kula ugali?

Kweli dunia ina mambo.
masukuma
#158 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:16:22 AM

tycho wrote:

Kweli dunia ina mambo.

Eh... na akatae!!!
tycho
#159 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 6:29:10 PM

masukuma wrote:
tycho wrote:

Kweli dunia ina mambo.

Eh... na akatae!!!

No problem. Vyakula ni vingi.

Anjera iko pia. Unaeza kuja na yako pia...
Toxicity
#160 Posted : Saturday, August 25, 2018 8:17:44 PM

KulaRaha wrote:

Our friends have done it already for their favourite dish...the chapo!

Chapo inafaa kupikwa Kwa Jiko
update president set president = speaker where president is null