wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<56789>»
Making the Ugali Machine
majimaji
#121 Posted : Friday, October 02, 2015 5:24:08 PM

yah, anti_theft should shut the front door.
Rankaz13
#122 Posted : Sunday, October 04, 2015 3:41:49 PM

PeterReborn wrote:
masukuma wrote:
this is laughable... but it may work! Who knows? it may work but we can do a sniff test... What problem are you trying to fix? (remember the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse eats the cheese and pioneers are the ones with arrows on their backs) Do people consider what you think is a problem as being a problem? Or do you need to educate them that it's a problem? Do they think its a problem worth automating and paying money for? Considering Ugali is eaten more by poor people than others - do you think poor people are willing to buy this contraption - if you don't you will end up like the 3D visualization guy in this video

remember at the day you need to
1) BUILD A PRODUCT TO FIX A PROBLEM PEOPLE HAVE
2) BUILD A PRODUCT THAT PEOPLE WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY MONEY FOR
No one really wants you to succeed - they just want Ugali made... is hiring a mboch to cook Ugali better than Buying the gizmo!

Maybe I am biased... I dislike Ugali! I find it tasteless (I am forced to eat it by the Mrs... happy wife happy life) and I am yet to find someone who discovered ugali in their adult age who thinks it's worth the effort... I equally dislike Matoke and Mokimo but again - that's just me.

I think you missed the point that Ndemo was delivering.He is talking of having home grown solutions to our local problems.We dont need to wait for Wazungus to come and fix our problems.He is looking at how we can be creative and nurture local talents to provide solutions.Again riding on the same theme that Ngugi wa Thiong'o was talking about on the story of Gachamba and how we as a country have killed creativity and local solutions.

"If we need jobs, we must innovate. We cannot innovate without producing a critical mass of engineers. If there is a problem like the one we are facing with the Engineers Board, we must seek to solve it expeditiously.

We cannot catch up with the rest of the world if we keep frustrating our brightest minds, refusing to register them as engineers while driving on roads built by engineers from China and Turkey whom our Engineers Board has not vetted, in vehicles built by engineers over whose registration our engineers board has no control.

Yet the board-registered engineers have not succeeded in turning Kenya into an industrialised nation. Time has come when the registration board must remove the log that is in its own eye. Parliament needs to urgently look into this law and amend it as it is hindering the training of technical professionals in this country.
"

Applause Applause Applause Applause
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
masukuma
#123 Posted : Sunday, October 04, 2015 10:31:06 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
PeterReborn wrote:
masukuma wrote:
this is laughable... but it may work! Who knows? it may work but we can do a sniff test... What problem are you trying to fix? (remember the early bird gets the worm but the second mouse eats the cheese and pioneers are the ones with arrows on their backs) Do people consider what you think is a problem as being a problem? Or do you need to educate them that it's a problem? Do they think its a problem worth automating and paying money for? Considering Ugali is eaten more by poor people than others - do you think poor people are willing to buy this contraption - if you don't you will end up like the 3D visualization guy in this video

remember at the day you need to
1) BUILD A PRODUCT TO FIX A PROBLEM PEOPLE HAVE
2) BUILD A PRODUCT THAT PEOPLE WANT AND ARE WILLING TO PAY MONEY FOR
No one really wants you to succeed - they just want Ugali made... is hiring a mboch to cook Ugali better than Buying the gizmo!

Maybe I am biased... I dislike Ugali! I find it tasteless (I am forced to eat it by the Mrs... happy wife happy life) and I am yet to find someone who discovered ugali in their adult age who thinks it's worth the effort... I equally dislike Matoke and Mokimo but again - that's just me.

I think you missed the point that Ndemo was delivering.He is talking of having home grown solutions to our local problems.We dont need to wait for Wazungus to come and fix our problems.He is looking at how we can be creative and nurture local talents to provide solutions.Again riding on the same theme that Ngugi wa Thiong'o was talking about on the story of Gachamba and how we as a country have killed creativity and local solutions.

"If we need jobs, we must innovate. We cannot innovate without producing a critical mass of engineers. If there is a problem like the one we are facing with the Engineers Board, we must seek to solve it expeditiously.

We cannot catch up with the rest of the world if we keep frustrating our brightest minds, refusing to register them as engineers while driving on roads built by engineers from China and Turkey whom our Engineers Board has not vetted, in vehicles built by engineers over whose registration our engineers board has no control.

Yet the board-registered engineers have not succeeded in turning Kenya into an industrialised nation. Time has come when the registration board must remove the log that is in its own eye. Parliament needs to urgently look into this law and amend it as it is hindering the training of technical professionals in this country.
"

Applause Applause Applause Applause

the current regime is obstructionist in nature rather than regulatory
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
masukuma
#124 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 6:55:59 PM

sorry for resurrecting this old thread - but I came across a nugget that sums up all I was saying on this thread...

Quote:
The dominant question of our time should not be 'can it be built?' but 'should it be built?'

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
murchr
#125 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 10:35:50 PM

masukuma wrote:
sorry for resurrecting this old thread - but I came across a nugget that sums up all I was saying on this thread...

Quote:
The dominant question of our time should not be 'can it be built?' but 'should it be built?'

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Let me guess...and your answer is it should not because you don't cook or eat ugali.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nakujua
#126 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 11:15:02 PM

haka ka-vuchima hakajaiva bado - can't wait, ati I go to a hotel nawaambia I want ugali yangu leo ikuwe level 3 or 4. I am assuming the machine will have diferent levels that determine the texture, viscosity and stuff.
murchr
#127 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:29:56 PM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#128 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2018 1:51:29 PM

masukuma wrote:
I asked a couple of questions - none of which you have answered... how much are you willing to pay for the ugali maker? is the pain of cooking ugali enough to make you think of buying a machine for X dollars to cook it?
2) Remember my assertion that people upgrade away from Ugali? this is just an observation that as soon as people have more disposable income i.e. have X dollars to spare for your contraption - they don't eat ugali as much as you thought they would - I would like to hear your response to this observation. The reason Unga is a big deal is exactly explained by this... the people who eat the solid paste frequently are actually the ones that won't afford to buy version 0.1! The many poor people rich in votes but a bit short on cash!

So what do they upgrade to since I can't imagine going for 2 days without eating ugali even if I became a billionaire?
masukuma
#129 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:41:59 AM

hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I asked a couple of questions - none of which you have answered... how much are you willing to pay for the ugali maker? is the pain of cooking ugali enough to make you think of buying a machine for X dollars to cook it?
2) Remember my assertion that people upgrade away from Ugali? this is just an observation that as soon as people have more disposable income i.e. have X dollars to spare for your contraption - they don't eat ugali as much as you thought they would - I would like to hear your response to this observation. The reason Unga is a big deal is exactly explained by this... the people who eat the solid paste frequently are actually the ones that won't afford to buy version 0.1! The many poor people rich in votes but a bit short on cash!

So what do they upgrade to since I can't imagine going for 2 days without eating ugali even if I became a billionaire?

maybe it's just me... I upgraded...smile ... I would eat it once every 3 months if I had options. (my madam does will not let it happen). Yes... Ugali and Githeri! Life is too short for bland food!
Julie
#130 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 7:36:31 AM

Ati atia.
So you eat hamburgers for dinner?
Ama
kayhara
#131 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:24:55 AM

Quote:

smile smile I didn't think it was possible to live without having Ugali or Githeri at least 2-3 times weekly just changing kitoweo, until I came to Mombasa ,it's been months since I had Ugali.
About the Ugali machine, I really don't think it would take off for domestic use but for schools it would I think we ate lots of sweat from our cook as he spun our Ugali (which we ate every supper for 4 Years).
To Each His Own
Lolest!
#132 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 10:08:07 AM

masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:

maybe it's just me... I upgraded...smile ... I would eat it once every 3 months if I had options. (my madam does will not let it happen). Yes... Ugali and Githeri! Life is too short for bland food!

Bland food...what do you eat now?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hardwood
#133 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:05:00 AM

Lolest! wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:

Bland food...what do you eat now?

He should tell us what he upgraded to.
Julie
#134 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:51:52 AM

Waiting to hear.
I didn't know there is upgrading on what one eats....
hardwood
#135 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 12:19:46 PM

Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

So did @masukuma upgrade from ugali to waru a.k.a potato?

Traditional British dinner.

My dinner ugali na beef, sukuma.

masukuma
#136 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 1:31:24 PM

hardwood wrote:
Even mzungu eats dinner like us (ie nyama na sukuma/cabbage) but because he doesnt have ugali, he uses waru a.k.a potato in various forms (eg mashed potato, roast potato, fried, chips etc) as the starch source. And maybe some pudding. He then adds some carrots and french beans to make the meal colorful and appetizing. In asia they use rice instead. In Italy pasta.

I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.
hardwood
#137 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 2:48:25 PM

masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

I know it's an emotive issue and I am opening a pandora's box when saying this but really... can someone tell me what ugali tastes like? really!! it's indoctrination of the highest order! if you discovered ugali when you are older do you think you would have liked it? just a ki-thick paste! 0 flavour! Kabisa.... what is the taste of ugali... afadhali viazi. Jiulize ni kwa nini ni nyinyi mnakula hiyo ugali na ambao waliwaletea hawakuli ila wanalisha farasi ama kutengeneza ethanol na hiyo kitu. There are so many starches in the world... Wheat, Potatoes, Rice... plus ukizeeka kama mimi huhitaji too much carbs so wacha ikae. Ugali ni chakula ya jela!
Hata mzungu sikuhizi anakula chakula ya wahindi... discover asian dishes and you will look back at that ki-paste that stinks up your house with disdain. P.s. IT'S NOT AFRICAN FOOD... MAIZE WAS BROUGHT HERE ABOUT 500 YEARS AGO. IT WAS A LATIN AMERICAN GRAIN. Afadhali hao mexicans hujaribu na hizo tacos zao.

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.
masukuma
#138 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:54:11 PM

hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

But we used to eat ugali made of millet and sorghum/cassava before mzungu brought maize. Thus ugali is older than maize. Maybe what we should think about is how to make ugali tastier. Just like the way asians add spices to their rice or mzungu adds butter and salt to his mashed potatoes. Thus to make "upgraded ugali" you could use 50/50 water:milk, then add some roiko and salt and some spices kama zile za pilau. The resulting ugali would be tasty even if taken alone. I have also seen ugali chips where the ugali is sliced into chips, dipped into some egg (ile imekorogwa) and deep fried before serving. Or we could make ugali chapati (tortillas) like the mexicans do. Also note that ugali is not supposed to be eaten alone, just like asians dont eat rice alone or msungu doesnt eat potato or spaghheti alone. Ugali needs to be accompanied by some meat and vegetables like other meals.

Ugali on it's own is so bila imagination... 0 creativity
steps to cook ugali
1) boil water
2) pour flour into water
3) stir
4) wait
5) repeat 2, 3 and 4 until the house stinks
murchr
#139 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 4:56:39 PM

hardwood wrote:
masukuma wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Laughing out loudly Someone hijacked Mavegges kitchen and completely colonized his taste buds eventually changing his view of food.

Just as an FYI - Apart from the waru which i would compare to our mukimo kimanga or matoke. Mzungu's equivalent of ugali like food is gritz which is almost like Njenga and Polenta which is more firm and ugali like.

Grits (Mostly American) Can be eaten as breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Flour

End product. Its made abit wet if its breakfast....kama uji.

Polenta (Italian - European)
Unga

Meal

Ofcourse mzungu plays with his recipes so there are various variations of Polenta and grits that you can get out there.
hardwood
#140 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2018 5:24:31 PM

Thanks @murch for bringing this polenta issue. Polenta is actually Italian ugali made from maize flour and there is a machine for it. So there is actually an ugali making machine. Ndiyo hii hapa ikipika ugali.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta

And the final product.

Mpaka they have ugali pizza.