8 Pages<1234>»
Hellios Billions from Equity Bank to buy Telkom kenya
Impunity
#21 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:07:26 PM

So does mean name change again for telkom? Something like "Helios Mobile"

Could sell well, imagine "Say Helo in Helios Free Calls"

d'oh! d'oh!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Ericsson
#22 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:26:57 PM

Name reverts to Telkom Kenya
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
watesh
#23 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:11:54 PM

Muthawamunene wrote:
Nimerudi wrote:
I'm seeing these guys either trying to merge the Telkom business with Zuku's offerings or just another PE fattening/stripping stunt.

Agreed. The Telkom - Zuku combination would be a very nice strategy.

Helios invests in markets that most main-listed companies blatantly fail to satisfy and come out winning. Like they did with Equity.

The home internet market is hugely untapped (just as banking was). It would take time for Zuku on its own to roll out infrastructure on its own even to places just outside Nairobi and its environs (I should know, I have been trying to get them to come to a place called Kiamumbi for months)

With Telkom's infrastructure, last mile connectivity will be fast. And Helios will bring efficiency to Telkom.

Lets face it, the only reason we use Safaricom is because the internet connection is the best we have so far (at least in places like Kiamumbi)

For sure this will be a great head to head with Safaricom for fibre to home connections since that is the next cash cow. This year Safaricom wants to connect 2000 homes. Telkom bring in infrastructure outside Nairobi to Zuku
Muthawamunene
#24 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 2:38:50 PM

watesh wrote:
Muthawamunene wrote:
Nimerudi wrote:
I'm seeing these guys either trying to merge the Telkom business with Zuku's offerings or just another PE fattening/stripping stunt.

Agreed. The Telkom - Zuku combination would be a very nice strategy.

Helios invests in markets that most main-listed companies blatantly fail to satisfy and come out winning. Like they did with Equity.

The home internet market is hugely untapped (just as banking was). It would take time for Zuku on its own to roll out infrastructure on its own even to places just outside Nairobi and its environs (I should know, I have been trying to get them to come to a place called Kiamumbi for months)

With Telkom's infrastructure, last mile connectivity will be fast. And Helios will bring efficiency to Telkom.

Lets face it, the only reason we use Safaricom is because the internet connection is the best we have so far (at least in places like Kiamumbi)

For sure this will be a great head to head with Safaricom for fibre to home connections since that is the next cash cow. This year Safaricom wants to connect 2000 homes. Telkom bring in infrastructure outside Nairobi to Zuku

I would like to update you that I discovered Airetel internet works even better in Kiamumbi, but fixed line internet is welcome. We will pay for it, just incase we have marketers scouring these here parts.
Nimerudi
#25 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 8:38:19 PM

Saw that from a mile away. Read this

Quote:
The private equity firm already owns a stake in Wananchi, a leading broadband cable provider, that distributes data and content in the region so by acquiring Telkom, Helios could position itself as a leading internet infrastructure and content distributor in the country.
Telkom comes with significant stakes in two fiber optic cables that connects Kenya to the global internet superhighway. Additionally, the company, partly owned by the Kenyan government—the treasury owns a 30% stake, which it will retain in the deal—manages the national fibre optic network running across the country. This means that operators seeking access to it have to go through Telkom, giving the firm significant leverage in the growing internet market in Kenya.
And with control of the internet, Helios situates itself in a pretty influential position in another growth area in the mobile space—content. Already, mobile content is big business in Kenya. And increasingly the intersection of media and digital is becoming a billion dollar industry. For Helios, therefore, acquiring Telkom, with all its assets in the internet infrastructure space, could turn into one of the leaders in the mobile content distribution market in Kenya as well. That’s a smart business play.
mlennyma
#26 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:01:28 PM

Nimerudi wrote:
Saw that from a mile away. Read this

Quote:
The private equity firm already owns a stake in Wananchi, a leading broadband cable provider, that distributes data and content in the region so by acquiring Telkom, Helios could position itself as a leading internet infrastructure and content distributor in the country.
Telkom comes with significant stakes in two fiber optic cables that connects Kenya to the global internet superhighway. Additionally, the company, partly owned by the Kenyan government—the treasury owns a 30% stake, which it will retain in the deal—manages the national fibre optic network running across the country. This means that operators seeking access to it have to go through Telkom, giving the firm significant leverage in the growing internet market in Kenya.
And with control of the internet, Helios situates itself in a pretty influential position in another growth area in the mobile space—content. Already, mobile content is big business in Kenya. And increasingly the intersection of media and digital is becoming a billion dollar industry. For Helios, therefore, acquiring Telkom, with all its assets in the internet infrastructure space, could turn into one of the leaders in the mobile content distribution market in Kenya as well. That’s a smart business play.

any move aimed at taming the elephant is most welcome smile
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#27 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:36:41 PM

would live to see Helios data play. there's still hope for trully Unlimited Internet on mobile
mlennyma
#28 Posted : Saturday, November 14, 2015 3:00:35 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
would live to see Helios data play. there's still hope for trully Unlimited Internet on mobile

and free internet calls
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Swenani
#29 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 10:20:42 AM

Gaarment to pumpinto Telkom kenya KES 12 birrion
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Othelo
#30 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 12:54:39 PM

Swenani wrote:

Wastage of our resources & avenues of thiefing Sad
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
VituVingiSana
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 10:08:54 AM

Othelo wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Kama kawaida. #ThisIsKenya

The only plus is that Helios aren't jokers. They have an interest in (successful) Wananchi/Zuku which is pushing for Triple Play. Perhaps GoK (taxpayers) will make some money on this!
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
obiero
#32 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 7:00:03 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Othelo wrote:
Swenani wrote:

The only plus is that Helios aren't jokers. They have an interest in (successful) Wananchi/Zuku which is pushing for Triple Play. Perhaps GoK (taxpayers) will make some money on this!

Telekom will give Safaricom things to think about in the near future.. Masting ongoing in far flung areas, such as Kapcheliba, Kandui, Elwak, Nyangusu..

HF 428,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
VituVingiSana
#33 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 9:58:07 AM

obiero wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Othelo wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Telekom will give Safaricom things to think about in the near future.. Masting ongoing in far flung areas, such as Kapcheliba, Kandui, Elwak, Nyangusu..

Will the drama at Zuku affect Telkom? We need a strong competitor to Safaricom to reduce the cost of data for consumers.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#34 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 10:11:27 AM

Safaricom is finishing Zuku on the internet to the home business.
Strong competitor to safaricom will only emerge if the other companies begin to run their businesses professionally and strategically
obiero
#35 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 6:05:21 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Strong competitor to safaricom will only emerge if the other companies begin to run their businesses professionally and strategically

Zuku did not have sufficient muscle.. JTL is a better fit for such battles since it is held in proxy by the old man. I speak in code

Ericsson
#36 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 6:23:02 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Zuku did not have sufficient muscle.. JTL is a better fit for such battles since it is held in proxy by the old man. I speak in code

JTL is in survival mode.It has lost a big chunk of it's business recently and is on the verge of closing down.
I'm an insider of the on-goings in JTL
obiero
#37 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 6:38:53 PM

Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

JTL is in survival mode.It has lost a big chunk of it's business recently and is on the verge of closing down.

Dear insider, do you know anyone by the name Mwaniki

watesh
#38 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 7:11:34 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

So true, Safaricom has the financial muscle to expand faster and create a much better network.
Ericsson
#39 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 8:06:24 PM

obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
obiero wrote:
Ericsson wrote:

Dear insider, do you know anyone by the name Mwaniki

I know Bor and their head of Networks. Was with him a month ago and we talked at length
Chaka
#40 Posted : Friday, May 12, 2017 8:20:38 PM

Why can't those Co's try n merge to fight the elephant..?How are akina Access and Liquid faring?
Ericsson wrote: