wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages123>
What to do with 2.4M
tnai9
#1 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 3:08:00 PM

Wazuans, I am anticipating getting this money(pooled funds and loan top up) and am torn between:
1. Buying a near-prime plot preferably in Eldy/Kitale (eighth 4 btn 1.5-1.7m) then the balance, I start constructing 1BR houses for rent. I am hoping to get rent of 6K-10K for such a house(estimate 300k per house, basic finish). My concern is the plot will take a huge chunk of the money just leaving me with a little to construct the houses, mayb 2 max.
2. Car import business - gathering more info(dollar issues really a turn off but experts please advice). I believe with 2.4m i can start with lower end cars and make some money before i decide whether to continue or once the 2.4 grows to 3.5m(I blv) I jump out and go for the rentals(seems like the thing i want to do).
3. Securing the plot 1st, for say 1.6M, then the balance I do what? - build 2 -2br units or start car import business with the about 800K - 1 low end car?

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
Nabwire
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 7:13:08 PM

Can I be honest with you? You are going to lose your money! Your language just says so coz you say things like I am hoping to get rent of, my concern is the plot will take a huge chunk, I believe with 2.4 M I can start, actually just re-read that sentence on lower end cars. You are betting on things going rosy, and have not made substantial research into what could go horribly wrong. Here's free advice, dont do anything with your money coz you clearly have not done any research. Wait for the market to tank then buy blue chips on the NSE. Take a quick look in FB groups and see how many people are trying to sell their cars, then look at how many replies if any they get?!
murchr
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 7:21:43 PM

Nabwire wrote:
Can I be honest with you? You are going to lose your money! Your language just says so coz you say things like I am hoping to get rent of, my concern is the plot will take a huge chunk, I believe with 2.4 M I can start, actually just re-read that sentence on lower end cars. You are betting on things going rosy, and have not made substantial research into what could go horribly wrong. Here's free advice, dont do anything with your money coz you clearly have not done any research. Wait for the market to tank then buy blue chips on the NSE. Take a quick look in FB groups and see how many people are trying to sell their cars, then look at how many replies if any they get?!

Where have you been? I've been waiting for you to "wag your tail" on the highs that FB has been hitting smile
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
radio
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 8:12:57 PM

Do your homework: research.

For example, what sort of 1BR can cost 300k? Can you break that down?
Nabwire
#5 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2015 9:52:03 PM

murchr wrote:
Nabwire wrote:

Where have you been? I've been waiting for you to "wag your tail" on the highs that FB has been hitting smile

I'll let Zuckerberg do that smile
streetwise
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 8:20:23 AM

When you are starting even the stock market may burn you and you lose all the money after such a effort.

I would say take 100K and invest in the market for purposes of learning and trade i.e. buy and sell till you feel you know the market.

The balance of 2.3M look for a plot that is likely to appreciate in pricing and easy to sell. Keep the plot for some time till you have a clear picture of your next investment after through research. In my opinion in two years you will be ready to make the next move and depending on where you bought the plot you may have a capital gain of 1 M.

Think about the words used in the statement and see you understand what they mean e.g. easy to likely to appreciate, easy to sell etc. , these may guide you thoughts.

Just my thoughts, remember you are the only one who will make the decision we can only suggest.
tnai9
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:04:03 PM

Nabwire wrote:

I have done some research, not exhaustive though, but I have some info. For the rents, those are the rates, going by the houses in the neighborhood of the plots I have seen.
Yes, for the cars its kinda tricky, but I also know some people/colleagues who are selling and i wanted to use them to initially import- I know the type and quality of car really matters. What I don't have exhaustively is general information about the market, but working on it just in case I decide to go that route.
I have been following the stocks thread, but I have never had guts. For stocks I need expert guidance, otherwise I know it will be kind of shooting in the dark.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
tnai9
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 1:11:29 PM

radio wrote:

Ok, this is just a basic 1BR house(sitting rm, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom), plaster and paint inside, outside, mawe ya kuchongwa tu. No tiles on the floor. I got the rates from one fundi who had put some structures around one of the plots I saw. OK I am putting the cost at 400k, for 1 such unit.
I hope to rent it out at 6k-7k p.m
streetwise
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2015 6:48:09 PM

And how many units do you intent to build ?
Boris Boyka
#10 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 7:52:05 AM

tnai9 wrote:
radio wrote:

Ok, this is just a basic 1BR house(sitting rm, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom), plaster and paint inside, outside, mawe ya kuchongwa tu. No tiles on the floor. I got the rates from one fundi who had put some structures around one of the plots I saw. OK I am putting the cost at 400k, for 1 such unit.
I hope to rent it out at 6k-7k p.m

400k!!!! SMH...This is a structure,no ceiling, roof is that slanting shop like..no wiring & plumbing.. and rent is 6-7k. Anyway if those are the standards there fine. Some Fundi's are not accurate on costs. You may find the owner was doing in bits thus fundi estimates without actual figures....
Buy a few acres huko and farm well on them! If you get at least 3 ;Animal/dairy farm on one...another plant bluegum and another seasonal crops. A few yrs down line you'll have earned much and if will think of selling the whole farm your wealth will have trippled if not doubled. Thank me later.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
limanika
#11 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:19:05 PM

This is what i would do myself:1. Continue doing what you did to enable you get the loan in the first place. 2. Buy the plot in near prime area. 3. The balance, buy another plot in a not so prime area. After 3-5 yrs or so, sell the not so prime plot, combine with yr savings and possibly another loan or top up and build yr flats. Then come back and thank me. Only thing is to take care with land transactions
premio
#12 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2015 5:21:24 PM

T9 dont get discouraged every1 cannot do stocks or farming if your research on the houses is correct go for them the blue chips they are talking about Equity and kcb have both lost btn 10-20% over the last 30days so had u sunk your 2.4m in kcb your portofolio would be worth 2.2m today.
Kenyans buy cars all the time new and used just buy the plots since prices will increase and use the balance to import or buy local cars in good prices use the profits to construct the houses. With cars worst case scenario unless you are conned is recouping your cost thats always guaranteed.Dollar rate should not worry every1 will buy at the same rate problem is the impending duty hike but somewhere along the way way people will still buy. Am hoping u have a day job you are just looking for that extra coin. Construction rates in kitale cannot be same with nairobi or kisumu so 400k for a basic 1bedroom is very likely
tnai9
#13 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 9:42:14 AM

streetwise wrote:
And how many units do you intent to build ?

If bedsitters - 14 in an 1/8th. A neighboring plot(Eldy 1.5km from a campus) had plain bedsitters, no tiles going for 4K p.m. Tiled ones go for about 4.5k-5k p.m. If fully built monthly income of 63k.
But with the seasonal nature of campus programs,(implying seasonal occupancy) I thought of 1br units, (9 fit in an 1/8th) and rent is 6k p.m. If fully built and occupied the monthly gross income is 54k.

The issue here is the cost of construction(excluding the plot). Fundis were telling me the total cost estimate is about 5M. So that is where my headache begins.

tnai9
#14 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 9:48:05 AM

Boris Boyka wrote:

400k!!!! SMH...This is a structure,no ceiling, roof is that slanting shop like..no wiring & plumbing.. and rent is 6-7k. Anyway if those are the standards there fine. Some Fundi's are not accurate on costs. You may find the owner was doing in bits thus fundi estimates without actual figures....
Buy a few acres huko and farm well on them! If you get at least 3 ;Animal/dairy farm on one...another plant bluegum and another seasonal crops. A few yrs down line you'll have earned much and if will think of selling the whole farm your wealth will have trippled if not doubled. Thank me later.

I have really bad experiences with farming, that I wouldnt want to try now. I was farming via the phone, and I lost badly.
I like the bluegum idea, but there you are talking of at least 5yrs. I want something to start generating income soon, if not immediately. I have a day job and a salary but mahitaji ni mingi sana..the usual nrb way
tnai9
#15 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 9:58:26 AM

limanika wrote:
This is what i would do myself:1. Continue doing what you did to enable you get the loan in the first place. 2. Buy the plot in near prime area. 3. The balance, buy another plot in a not so prime area. After 3-5 yrs or so, sell the not so prime plot, combine with yr savings and possibly another loan or top up and build yr flats. Then come back and thank me. Only thing is to take care with land transactions

@limanika, am salaried and a sacco member, where I have been getting all loans. I thought of it this way too, but am looking at the value gain in a plot in 5yrs vs what some alternative businesses(maybe theoretically) can make in 5yrs. If I bought a plot say for 500k, its unlikely it will be worth 2M after 5yrs, in these counties in the western part of the country. I believe there is something different I can do and make money faster than that.
Also, unless the plot is very prime, it may take time to dispose it off. Reason I am looking for alternatives.
tnai9
#16 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 10:21:10 AM

premio wrote:
T9 dont get discouraged every1 cannot do stocks or farming if your research on the houses is correct go for them the blue chips they are talking about Equity and kcb have both lost btn 10-20% over the last 30days so had u sunk your 2.4m in kcb your portofolio would be worth 2.2m today.
Kenyans buy cars all the time new and used just buy the plots since prices will increase and use the balance to import or buy local cars in good prices use the profits to construct the houses. With cars worst case scenario unless you are conned is recouping your cost thats always guaranteed.Dollar rate should not worry every1 will buy at the same rate problem is the impending duty hike but somewhere along the way way people will still buy. Am hoping u have a day job you are just looking for that extra coin. Construction rates in kitale cannot be same with nairobi or kisumu so 400k for a basic 1bedroom is very likely

@Premio, thanks so much for your advice. I follow your threads about cars and I was even planning to ask for professional advice about the it outside of wazua. I know some freshmen in it, who actually are hacking it, but you seem so seasoned.
The reason I wanted to secure the plot is I know they appreciate fast especially those near main roads and towns. There is one prime one I have identified, 100M off the tarmac going for 1.5M. After securing that, I know 900K cannot do much, maybe just a wall round the plot, stima, septic and the slab for the 1st row of houses. If lucky, maybe get to squeeze in the structure for the 1st bedsitter/site house.
Reason I was looking for an alternative that I can use to grow the 900k.
josimar
#17 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 1:02:31 PM

Quote:
@Premio, thanks so much for your advice. I follow your threads about cars and I was even planning to ask for professional advice about the it outside of wazua. I know some freshmen in it, who actually are hacking it, but you seem so seasoned.
The reason I wanted to secure the plot is I know they appreciate fast especially those near main roads and towns. There is one prime one I have identified, 100M off the tarmac going for 1.5M. After securing that, I know 900K cannot do much, maybe just a wall round the plot, stima, septic and the slab for the 1st row of houses. If lucky, maybe get to squeeze in the structure for the 1st bedsitter/site house.

Secure that plot for 1.5m ,the 900k balance is more than sufficient for You to start a commercial activity in that plot like chicken farming and a small mabati structure for Your worker. The revenue You get should be enough to pay the monthly installments.
tnai9
#18 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 4:45:56 PM

josimar wrote:

Secure that plot for 1.5m ,the 900k balance is more than sufficient for You to start a commercial activity in that plot like chicken farming and a small mabati structure for Your worker. The revenue You get should be enough to pay the monthly installments.

@Josimar,
Thanks for the advice. Am based in Nairobi and because i plan to have the project in Eldoret, it may be a challenge for me to manage it from a far. reason am avoiding anything i will have to manage remotely
premio
#19 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 9:39:15 PM

Thanks T9 MY experience with cars car imports spans 12years its never gotten worse since 2003 when i imported the first car. It takes a while to bUILD contacts and trust but the time is now to start. I easily sell cars through my trusted line of refferals without seeking new business. Unfortunately mine comes with consultation fees just like when u visit the experienced dentist or cardiologist but its very good bussiness when u get aligned well.

josimar wrote:
Quote:

tnai9
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2015 7:50:18 AM

premio wrote:

Thanks T9 MY experience with cars car imports spans 12years its never gotten worse since 2003 when i imported the first car. It takes a while to bUILD contacts and trust but the time is now to start. I easily sell cars through my trusted line of refferals without seeking new business. Unfortunately mine comes with consultation fees just like when u visit the experienced dentist or cardiologist but its very good bussiness when u get aligned well.

No issues @Premio. That is professional advice i'll be getting. I will plan a meeting soonest I clear with the plot stuff. I surely will go this route and hope to share my experience sometime later.