wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
You are out of bounds Mr. President
Kusadikika
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:06:28 AM

Alcoholism in Central Kenya is a big problem. I however object to the Embakasi style way of dealing with the problem that has been initiated by Waititu and now appears to enjoy presidential sanction. Small licensed businesses that deal in liquor are being looted and vandalized in the name fighting against alcoholism. The high unemployment rate in Central cannot be dealt with by just closing down drinking joints in fact I argue it might have a counterproductive effect. People will be forced to choose between having thugs in their neigbourhoods or having drunkards.

Mnataka ngeta ama ulevi.
Mainat
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 6:47:37 AM

You must learn to ignore the president when he does his off the cuff speeches which are akin bar talk. Just meant for passing time
Sehemu ndio nyumba
Impunity
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 6:56:34 AM

Mainat wrote:
You must learn to ignore the president when he does his off the cuff speeches which are akin bar talk. Just meant for passing time

President mwenyewe ni wamunyota so he cant close all the nyotaring joints.
smile
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

majimaji
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 8:46:21 AM

I also got alarmed at his style of delivery, the alcohol problem did not start yesterday in Central Kenya and encouraging looting of people's property is against the law
Bigchick
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 8:59:57 AM

I may not agree with his style but obviously there is a problem that needs to be solved.

Am told even Moi had to take drastic and unconventional measures to bring Kales to their senses on alcohol issues.They would drink from dawn to dusk tena both parents.

There is a generation lost in Central and that needs to be corrected for future generations.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
ZZE123
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 9:28:42 AM

majimaji wrote:

I also got alarmed at his style of delivery, the alcohol problem did not start yesterday in Central Kenya and encouraging looting of people's property is against the law

How nowd'oh! d'oh! d'oh!
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
Rahatupu
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 10:05:40 AM

ZZE123 wrote:
majimaji wrote:

How nowd'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

We have perfected the art and science of deception. We make laws for everything including how to be within the law while killing people. No mention of the "business men and women" who brew the lethal liquids. Ati they are "legit" and the effects are all too clear to see. unless the lords of death and poverty are dealt with no amount of talking will save Central.
Lolest!
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 10:34:42 AM

Kusadikika wrote:
Alcoholism in Central Kenya is a big problem. I however object to the Embakasi style way of dealing with the problem that has been initiated by Waititu and now appears to enjoy presidential sanction. Small licensed businesses that deal in liquor are being looted and vandalized in the name fighting against alcoholism. The high unemployment rate in Central cannot be dealt with by just closing down drinking joints in fact I argue it might have a counterproductive effect. People will be forced to choose between having thugs in their neigbourhoods or having drunkards.

Mnataka ngeta ama ulevi.

I strongly disagree with the highlighted.

I doubt unemployment is causing drunkenness. Infact, I think drunkenness is causing unemployment!

Why? Just visit areas in Kiambu county that are within commuting distance from the city eg Kiambu, Ruaka, Muchatha, Banana,Wangige, Kikuyu, Ruiru

You will find those fellows lazing around and waiting for 20 bob handout.

At the same time, there will be a Wafula all the way from Chwele who took a bus from huko Bungoma to Nairobi to try out a security job. He is paid 8,500. He lives in a rented house. He is okay and even manages to send the guys back home some pesa.

Why can't this Kiambu fellow take up such a job instead of begging for 20bob? His costs(no rent) are much lower! He has made himself unemployable and will not sustain any job. If you doubt, just ask around where these walevis are and you will find enough graduates and former employees of banks, civil service, hospitals(even medical doctors!) among them.

Alcoholism is not caused by poverty/unemployment. Alcoholism causes poverty and unemployment.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
washiku
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 10:53:45 AM

Kusadikika wrote:

Mnataka ngeta ama ulevi.

I wonder why people think those guys drink because they are unemployed. Just the other day we were watching a certain lawyer from Othaya who was picking tea simply because he couldn't keep a job due to alcoholism. Every time you go to the village, you will meet very many young people who have abandoned their once well-doing horticultural activities and they currently even stand straight on their legs, they are always staggering. There is this guy who used to employ us in his shamba when we were young and he was the mdosi of the village until the cheap liqour got the better of him. Right now he is in the line-up of those asking you for 20bob to buy some cheap brew. I know another who was running a very well doing wholesale shop and right now he cant even afford a meal. Same problem. These men are no longer able to wake up early and deliver milk at the collection points because they will be too drunk at 6am to milk and deliver. Their fathers, or mothers just in case even the father is part of the drinking spree, will employ a Bukusu guy from Western as "mundu wa ng'ombe" to look after the cows as they watch their sons wear out slowly, starting with teeth. The few "lucky" ones who had married before they were destroyed will have their wives do the whole job, only for them to cause chaos on the pay day about "pesa ya ng'ombe 'zangu' lazima nipewe". Mark you they will still take the whole of "pesa zangu" to the filthy dark dens. Wasn't it in the News just the other day when a Chemistry teacher and a Sub-chief were among men who died from those things? In my honest opinion, its not poverty that is pushing people to these things, its these things that are pushing people to poverty. Someone needs to pay a visit to these villages to understand the gravity of this matter. Even if "employment" was to be ditched out through ATMs like money, I wonder how many of those young men will be able to do any work. Iko shida kubwa sana huko.
majimaji
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:06:06 AM

why is this problem prevalent in Central Kenya in the Kikuyu speaking areas?
Ngong
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:06:16 AM

@Admin pls merge the two threads on same
Ngong
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:09:42 AM

Sure l agree there is a problem ya hizi pombe but sending GSU to close down outlets and forciful rehab is not a solution!
safariant
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:35:23 AM

majimaji wrote:

In central Kenya after work/school there is nothing to do. People don't take part in sports or arts.
This leaves much idle time where they venture into drinking dens which takes over their lives especially after high school.
Drinking is the only pastime for most people in the area.
The greatest act of bravery is chancing a fart while suffering from diarrhoea
maka
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:40:02 AM

But its a major problem...every where you turn there is a wines and spirit.
possunt quia posse videntur
Bykhovets
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 11:45:15 AM

The issue here is about illicit brews laced with methanol and other impurities.

Watu wa Keg, if you drink at the stipulated times, hakuna noma.

I don't think there is a family in Central (nuclear or extended) that doesn't have a member who has alcoholic addiction. The health and social complications are there for all to see.

Multiple interventions are needed here to come up with long-term solutions.
"Occasionally I drop a tea cup to shatter on the floor. On purpose. I am not satisfied when it does not gather itself up again. Someday perhaps that cup will come together."
Robinhood
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:14:47 PM

Lets just force them to stay away from drink - that way the thirst for drinking will somehow go away and they will be useful again. This process will be so successful that in a few years time, a Kenya Breweries lorry may overturn anywhere in central and no one will scramble for the free drink.
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Muheani
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:24:13 PM

majimaji wrote:

Is It prevalent In Central Only?

There is no place in the country that I go to and don't find them drunkards..disaster.

I believe it appears more pronounced in Central than other areas due to it being more reported there-..and yes, plus the women folk are making lots of noise about it.

I believe the problem needs urgent tackling in every village of this great republic

AlphDoti
#18 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:28:29 PM

Rahatupu wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
majimaji wrote:

How nowd'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

We have perfected the art and science of deception. We make laws for everything including how to be within the law while killing people. No mention of the "business men and women" who brew the lethal liquids. Ati they are "legit" and the effects are all too clear to see. unless the lords of death and poverty are dealt with no amount of talking will save Central.

I said something to this effect 2 years ago here.
But I see Wazuans cheering on people @Mc who promote alcohol weekly right here with impunity.
So why lash at the prezo when he protects his territory: alcohol dens!

McReggae wrote:
Quote:
That said, i will enjoy my Tusker today, and throughout the weekend, quite responsibly.

Very well said.....hiyo ingine yote ni pang'ang'a.......kuongea juu ya kitu huelewi!!!!!

maka
#19 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 12:30:27 PM

Bykhovets wrote:
The issue here is about illicit brews laced with methanol and other impurities.

Watu wa Keg, if you drink at the stipulated times, hakuna noma.

I don't think there is a family in Central (nuclear or extended) that doesn't have a member who has alcoholic addiction. The health and social complications are there for all to see.

Multiple interventions are needed here to come up with long-term solutions.

@Bykhovets hata hizo guys are misusing sana...we should throughly ensure no drinking takes place till atleast 3,no bar should be opened.
possunt quia posse videntur
Angelica _ann
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 1:24:10 PM

Let these walevi join NYS and start building the nation.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen