wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Milk ATMs
heri
#1 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 5:05:29 PM

i would like to buy a milk ATM to start selling milk

my little research so far shows that i can make good money. Buying a litre at sh 50 and selling at sh 70 while the packed milk goes for sh 100 per litre

anyone who can share any more on this i would appreciate
Chaka
#2 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 5:18:18 PM

heri wrote:

my little research so far shows that i can make good money. Buying a litre at sh 50 and selling at sh 70 while the packed milk goes for sh 100 per litre

I have nil experience but if you don't have some dairy animals,how will you ensure a steady,reliable milk supply?
TheGeek
#3 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 9:15:26 PM

Chaka wrote:
heri wrote:

I have nil experience but if you don't have some dairy animals,how will you ensure a steady,reliable milk supply?

Milk supply is not a problem. Depends on where you want to base the business.
In the world of securities, courage and patience become the supreme virtues after adequate knowledge and a tested judgment are at hand.
Njung'e
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 8:22:09 AM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly ....Okay. They are dispensers not ATMs
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
kiash
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 12:58:15 PM

heri wrote:

Its not a bad idea.There are lots of them huku mayuu and some are supplied by the local milk farmers.They even have empty bottles on offer. I remember seeing something like that on some local kenyan tv news , a guy has such a dispenser.I can't remember when it was a guy has a van which has a cooler and he has the dispenser. It can actually work but mambo ya wizi !!
The idea of the pricing is not bad too.I think milk companies are just thieves.I saw the receipt on the nakumatt topic the other day a litre of milk is 100 and they buy it from the farmers @ around 40.Even if you factored in the energy bill + other expenses, i do not think its supposed to be past 70.An example of here , they buy milk from farmers at around 38sh i get it at the supermarket for 55 or 56 (cheapest) and the most expensive at around 74 sh. The cost of energy is much cheaper but labour is more expensive. The driver,clerk,delivery guy and all earn about 1000 sh an hour and you compare this to the Kenyan labour market.
Conclusion there are milk cartels just like oil cartels.
Go on your idea is great .
wazuaguest
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 1:52:12 PM

milk dispensers cost from 350k to 600k,that is second hand being the cheapest but you can also import.
Milk must be pasteurized to be dispensed by this machine.(I can connect you with a guy who sells pasteurised milk)
You don't need to keep cows to do that.
Its a very good business.
Africa belongs to Africans.
Njung'e
#7 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:04:39 PM

wazuaguest wrote:
milk dispensers cost from 350k to 600k,that is second hand being the cheapest but you can also import.
Milk must be pasteurized to be dispensed by this machine.(I can connect you with a guy who sells pasteurised milk)

@Wazuaguest,
I beg to differ with you. Milk dispensers do handle raw milk thus making it cheaper to consumers.I guess that is where the money is as long as you are not far from your milk source.

@Heri,
I do not know of a local person/organisation dealing with MDs but one thing i am certain is that the best dispensers are Italian.
McReggae
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:15:21 PM

Njung'e wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

@Wazuaguest,
I beg to differ with you. Milk dispensers do handle raw milk thus making it cheaper to consumers.I guess that is where the money is as long as you are not far from your milk source.

@Heri,
I do not know of a local person/organisation dealing with MDs but one thing i am certain is that the best dispensers are Italian.

The milk dispensers in Nairobi if not the whole of Kenya only vend pasteurized milk. That is the Kenya Dairy Board specification.....only processed milk to be sold!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Lolest!
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:26:08 PM

McReggae wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

@Wazuaguest,

@Heri,

The milk dispensers in Nairobi if not the whole of Kenya only vend pasteurized milk. That is the Kenya Dairy Board specification.....only processed milk to be sold!!!

Exactly! You cannot do raw milk. It is illegal to sell unprocessed milk. KDB officials told me it's OK to boil if you can afford it.

The main thing is to protect consumers from diseases brought about by consuming raw milk
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
heri
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:35:07 PM

Lolest! wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

@Wazuaguest,

@Heri,

Exactly! You cannot do raw milk. It is illegal to sell unprocessed milk. KDB officials told me it's OK to boil if you can afford it.

The main thing is to protect consumers from diseases brought about by consuming raw milk

Thanks all. I have only seen these dispensers in super markets. Has anyone seen them elsewhere. Because my idea is to get an estate setting with many people and rent a room and get the dispenser installed

i must confess am still in the intial stages of doing research on this and would appreciate any information eg where to buy the dispenser etc
McReggae
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:48:21 PM

heri wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

@Wazuaguest,

@Heri,

Thanks all. I have only seen these dispensers in super markets. Has anyone seen them elsewhere. Because my idea is to get an estate setting with many people and rent a room and get the dispenser installed

i must confess am still in the intial stages of doing research on this and would appreciate any information eg where to buy the dispenser etc

They are now all over the place, even the in the City Council stalls in Kibra!!!
mtotana
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 3:40:18 PM

@Heri, check on olx. ziko huko.

Ndio hizi hapa
Njung'e
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 3:54:22 PM

@Mcreggae,
The words you used here is "in Kenya". My point is/was,milk dispensing machines are not meant to differentiate raw/pastuerised milk. I wouldn't say i know about KDB regulations but the thing is,across Europe raw milk vending is the thing.

http://modernfarmer.com/...w-milk-vending-machines/
McReggae
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 4:02:16 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Mcreggae,
The words you used here is "in Kenya". My point is/was,milk dispensing machines are not meant to differentiate raw/pastuerised milk. I wouldn't say i know about KDB regulations but the thing is,across Europe raw milk vending is the thing.

http://modernfarmer.com/...-milk-vending-machines/[

smile I was specific to what we are vending Kenya based on the law, otherwise those machines can even vend busaa!
Much Know
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 4:25:37 PM

McReggae wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
@Mcreggae,

http://modernfarmer.com/...-milk-vending-machines/[

smile I was specific to what we are vending Kenya based on the law, otherwise those machines can even vend busaa!

The raw milk may be sterilized via UV light if the dispensers are designed to "spray" finely dispersed milk streams in the machine, if the dispenser keeps the raw milk cool at temperatures that control bacteria multiplication it will work very well, the milk after passing the UV will stay quite well. When it comes to FOOD, Kenyans are not in a position to support any "redundant" thick over bureaucratic (bribe collection) laws particularly if the technology works. An inspector with a degree in food science should be able to use logic here and go inspecting machines thats all. Peeps should perhaps "ignore" such laws because we don't have enough FOOD whereas the technology works! We can not sleep hungry waiting for laws to tell us food is safe, watu watumie google/kichwa kiasi to save time, "we have a role to play" in food security.
A New Kenya
wa P
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 6:05:23 PM

heri wrote:

In Kenya, most of those dispensers you see are supplied by about 2 guys.

One guy (market leader) started it all with Tuskys several years ago on pilot I think in Rongai. When milk ran out one day, there was near riot. Tuskys saw the opportunity and rolled out.

Many supermarkets now are into it.

Also quite a few 'stand alones' out there, on verandahs (the first one on verandah was in Eldoret, by a lady farmer S. B)

Fact 1. Like McR says, you must dispense pasteurized milk.

Fact 2. Cash dispensing is still untidy, you need an operator. Machines for exclusive cash + change (like KAPS parking) are still not optimized here yet.

Fact 3. Selling of empty containers is almost generating more money than milk itselfsmile

Fact 4. You must enter into a supply contract with a milk provider. The worst is to get inconsistent milk quality especially since you'll get loyal customers.

Fact 5. Study your market well. Many kawaida people want creamy, buttery milk. Different regions of Kenya produce different milk (e.g., Kinangop is too 'watery' due to wet feeding).

Fact 6. ...sasa lipa kitu.

And I have contacts of everyone in supply chain (milk, containers, dispenser = maintenance, locations....)

No I don't do that business. I am going into a different type of dispensing (not liquids).

Mr. Brookside is reportedly not happy(whose market share mnaslice) and is expected to do something about it. Watch this space.

heri
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 6:55:03 PM

wa P wrote:
heri wrote:

One guy (market leader) started it all with Tuskys several years ago on pilot I think in Rongai. When milk ran out one day, there was near riot. Tuskys saw the opportunity and rolled out.

Also quite a few 'stand alones' out there, on verandahs (the first one on verandah was in Eldoret, by a lady farmer S. B)

Fact 2. Cash dispensing is still untidy, you need an operator. Machines for exclusive cash + change (like KAPS parking) are still not optimized here yet.

Fact 3. Selling of empty containers is almost generating more money than milk itselfsmile

Fact 4. You must enter into a supply contract with a milk provider. The worst is to get inconsistent milk quality especially since you'll get loyal customers.

Fact 5. Study your market well. Many kawaida people want creamy, buttery milk. Different regions of Kenya produce different milk (e.g., Kinangop is too 'watery' due to wet feeding).

And I have contacts of everyone in supply chain (milk, containers, dispenser = maintenance, locations....)

No I don't do that business. I am going into a different type of dispensing (not liquids).

Mr. Brookside is reportedly not happy(whose market share mnaslice) and is expected to do something about it. Watch this space.

Thanks alot. i really do appreciate this

Maybe the last query, i hear some of dispensers can detect if someone adds water to the milk? is that true or is a myth?

Lastly can we link up via email and am happy to consult you on agreeable terms so that i can set up

my email is employerat40@gmail.com

Thanks
Chaka
#18 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 10:08:07 PM

@WaP,
Can you expound on #3..
Impunity
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:27:22 AM

wa P wrote:
heri wrote:

Could this also explain the cabbage effect on water levels on those people coming from that region?
Sad Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Impunity
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 4:39:08 AM

Lolest! wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Njung'e wrote:
wazuaguest wrote:

@Wazuaguest,

@Heri,

Milk pasteurization is heating miok to temps up in the region of 72 degrees centigrade...Now the miok usually being dispensed is very cold...this means the machine could be consuming a lot of energy in terms of electricity.

Heating the miok to 72 deg cels and then cooling it down to 4 degrees is not a juok...this could easily eat into your perceived earnings.

On must really consider the cost of energy before setting up this business.

My cents!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.