Aguytrying
#21 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:12:37 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
maka wrote:
mkonomtupu wrote:
Is that correct safaricom with a volume of 43.92m shares

53 mio...smile

d'oh! d'oh! d'oh!

this could be that part of the charts where there's a volume spike followed by a great decline later
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Ericsson
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:55:54 PM

Safaricom traded 64.51mn shares and price was down 45 cents to 15.20.
Massive selloff in the counter
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Boris Boyka
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 5:18:42 PM

Hii soko si ya m* (Duale) It does as it feels.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
Sober
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:43:20 PM

winmak wrote:
Just checked that demand vs supply on Safaricom and things things really look thick...

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly yahoo. 64m at close of business
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
murchr
#25 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:53:59 PM

Ericsson wrote:
Safaricom traded 64.51mn shares and price was down 45 cents to 15.20.
Massive selloff in the counter

97.9% foreign investors... profit taking. There are better markets out there eg Nigeria.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
bengraham
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 9:48:28 AM

subaru wrote:
considering the bear at hand due to cgt terrorism dollar and the rest its time to try other businesses or lay a low profile which other business can one do ?Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

@subaru You asked a question and in that question you revealed the real reason why majority of dabblers in stock investing will never make money. I assume you want to make money, right? Good! Now let's assume that you a farmer. And it's april. All around its wet weather, other farmers are planting and no one is harvesting and making deliveries to the market. Do you (a) go round saying, now that nobody is harvesting, what other business can one do? or (b) join the other farmers in planting. Obviously based on your question, you want to do other business, maybe buy a few quails or go on holiday (lay a low profile in your words). Now come November, on your way to market you will see farmers making their deliveries to the market and you will suddenly want to be a farmer again. The only tiny problem is that you did not want to be a farmer when it was planting time. Moral of the story, rethink your understanding of how the stock market works or you will lose money as others get rich. This is planting time
Invest at the point of maximum pessimism.
subaru
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:20:39 AM

bengraham wrote:
subaru wrote:
considering the bear at hand due to cgt terrorism dollar and the rest its time to try other businesses or lay a low profile which other business can one do ?Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

@subaru You asked a question and in that question you revealed the real reason why majority of dabblers in stock investing will never make money. I assume you want to make money, right? Good! Now let's assume that you a farmer. And it's april. All around its wet weather, other farmers are planting and no one is harvesting and making deliveries to the market. Do you (a) go round saying, now that nobody is harvesting, what other business can one do? or (b) join the other farmers in planting. Obviously based on your question, you want to do other business, maybe buy a few quails or go on holiday (lay a low profile in your words). Now come November, on your way to market you will see farmers making their deliveries to the market and you will suddenly want to be a farmer again. The only tiny problem is that you did not want to be a farmer when it was planting time. Moral of the story, rethink your understanding of how the stock market works or you will lose money as others get rich. This is planting time

good theory but i disagree a bit have been planting but pests/diseases (bear) has affected my intended harvest do i plant again when the diseases have not cleared or wait for another season and while waiting do something else
winmak
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:22:45 AM

bengraham wrote:
subaru wrote:

Wow, such wisdom, where were you all this time?
For investors as a whole, returns decrease as motion increases ~ WB
Aguytrying
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 12:13:57 PM

subaru wrote:
bengraham wrote:
subaru wrote:

good theory but i disagree a bit have been planting but pests/diseases (bear) has affected my intended harvest do i plant again when the diseases have not cleared or wait for another season and while waiting do something else

@ Ben Graham. welcome to wazua. Thanks for furthering our cause

@subaru. Again there is your problem. Think of the bear as the rainy season, not as the pest. Pests would be more like journalists printing "this is the worst decline we have ever seen, sell all your stocks!"

As a farmer would you be happier if the rainy season lasted longer so that you can plant more, or if it was shorter than normal. Without this mentality its true you cant make proper gains in the stock market.
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
murchr
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:13:51 PM

Buffett wrote:

The stock has no feelings about you smile

The Market

Views on the market and where it's going?

I have no idea were the market is going to go. I prefer it going down. But my preferences have nothing to do with it. The market knows nothing about my feelings. That is one of the first things you have to learn about a stock. You buy 100 shares of General Motors (GM). Now all of a sudden you have this feeling about GM. It goes down, you may be mad at it. You may say, "Well, if it just goes up for what I paid for it, my life will be wonderful again." Or if it goes up, you may say how smart you were and how you and GM have this love affair. You have got all these feelings. The stock doesn't know you own it.

The stock just sits there; it doesn't care what you paid or the fact that you own it. Any feeling I have about the market is not reciprocated. I mean it is the ultimate cold shoulder we are talking about here. Practically anybody in this room is probably more likely to be a net buyer of stocks over the next ten years than they are a net seller, so everyone of you should prefer lower prices. If you are a net eater of hamburger over the next ten years, you want hamburger to go down unless you are a cattle producer. If you are going to be a buyer of Coca-Cola and you don't own Coke stock, you hope the price of Coke goes down. You are looking for it to be on sale this weekend at your Supermarket. You want it to be down on the weekends not up on the weekends when you tend the Supermarket.

The NYSE is one big supermarket of companies. And you are going to be buying stocks, what you want to have happen? You want to have those stocks go down, way down; you will make better buys then. Later on twenty or thirty years from now when you are in a period when you are dis-saving, or when your heirs dis-save for you, then you may care about higher prices. There is Chapter 8 in Graham's Intelligent Investor about the attitude toward stock market fluctuations, that and Chapter 20 on the Margin of Safety are the two most important essays ever written on investing as far as I am concerned. Because when I read Chapter 8 when I was 19, I figured out what I just said but it is obvious, but I didn't figure it out myself. It was explained to me. I probably would have gone another 100 years and still thought it was good when my stocks were going up. We want things to go down, but I have no idea what the stock market is going to do. I never do and I never will. It is not something I think about at all.

When it goes down, I look harder at what I might buy that day because I know there is more likely to be some merchandise there to use my money effectively in.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
obiero
#31 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 1:45:18 PM

bengraham wrote:
subaru wrote:

@bengraham has joined wazua?? :)

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
DtheK
#32 Posted : Tuesday, August 04, 2015 7:02:55 PM

@subaru what I think bengraham is trying to say is; Stocks are cheap right now and since the big idea in the stock market is buy cheap, sell expensively shouldn't you be buying now?
Most people use P.E ratio to determine cheapness,however cheapness is not the only factor.The focus should be on well run companies currently priced cheaply.
Somebody mentioned the Ks, which I assume is companies with significant G.O.K ownership my opinion on these is to avoid since in most cases they are not well run.
subaru
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2015 10:47:27 AM

Aguytrying wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Money never sleeps. Try real estate

smile money never sleeps.

Money market fund, Saccos to mention but a few. Or, or. Hold the cash! cash not losing value is a great advantage in a bear market. and can be considered an "investment" in itslef. Buffet says something close to that

thanks for the ideas any other ideas available to help a wazuan survive this BEAR
Aguytrying
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2015 1:39:45 PM

subaru wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Money never sleeps. Try real estate

smile money never sleeps.

Money market fund, Saccos to mention but a few. Or, or. Hold the cash! cash not losing value is a great advantage in a bear market. and can be considered an "investment" in itslef. Buffet says something close to that

thanks for the ideas any other ideas available to help a wazuan survive this BEAR

MMF, T bills, bonds, fixed deposit account and cold hard cash.
In a bear even a 10% gain is very good gain. then you use that cash to scoop shares on the cheap. rinse and repeat.