Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<45678>
beatification of Sister Irene Nyaatha
murchr
#101 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:14:57 PM

Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:

Funny that those who claim to be believers dont know their texts

Ephesians 6:18 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

Revelation 8:3-4

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand.
God's people/saints are believers. See earlier post

James 5:16

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

No problem with praying for each other. But praying to/thru the dead???

On "No Contact with the dead"

Matthew 17:3-4

3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."…

and they prayed to/through Elijah and Moses??

On Mary being Blessed

Luke 1:41-45

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

No problem with that. Mary was indeed blessed. But praying through Mary? It's recorded in Acts that Mary prayed with the apostles. The apostles didn't pray through her!

Acts 1
Quote:
12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey. 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication,[b] with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

Your answer is up there, make prayers and supplications to ALL SAINTS. Man cannot be a saint since he has sinned. Your pastor is not a saint
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
masukuma
#102 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:55:32 PM

Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I remember meeting one guy outside Eger (Njokerio where I had gone to eat some meat when in college), We used to call him "uncle" and not the "uncle" most egertonians used to go eat meat from. So when we started talking faith matters... he said kanisa yao ina-believe in "continuous" revelation. the same way Paul, John, Peter, James, Luke e.t.c wali"funuliwa" they believe in the same - it was blasphemous for me to hear such things.. hata hiyo nyama sikukula vizuri but as I examined life and history I realized something... who decided that the 66 books make the scriptures? and more importantly... WHY? if the scriptures are an authority we need to ask ourselves ... who wrote and compiled them? it is not sufficient to quote the bible about it's sanctity coz that is spaghetti logic i.e. the bible says
Quote:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

and thus since the bible is scripture we say it's all the above since the bible says it's all the above.... ad infinitum.

I guess the whole disagreement above stems from 2 things,

1) what does the bible say? or even better which bible says what on the subject matter?
2) who says that the bible should be the sole authority on christian spiritual matters? what is the place of church history? catechism e.t.c.? Kama akina paul wali'Funuliwa' who says ufunuo uliishia hapo? who says it must be consistent with what they were told? that was them... sasa je?

You are saying there exists a modern or contemporary individual who receives/received inspiration as did akina Paul?

I am saying... who said that akina Paul were the only people who were to receive inspiration? hiyo mlango ilifungwa lini? na nani?
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Makali1
#103 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:58:37 PM

Muriel wrote:
You are saying there exists a modern or contemporary individual who receives/received inspiration as did akina Paul?

'And it shall be in the last days,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS; EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT.

Acts 2:17-18
Lolest!
#104 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:33:10 PM

murchr wrote:

Your answer is up there, make prayers and supplications to ALL SAINTS. Man cannot be a saint since he has sinned. Your pastor is not a saint

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Make supplication FOR not TO all saints. Check that again bro!

Once again, Acts 9

Quote:
Ananias Baptizes Saul
10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.”

And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.”

13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”

who are these saints Saul was persecuting? He must have been persecuting dead people if the living can't be saints!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Lolest!
#105 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 7:01:19 PM

1 Corinthians 1:2

Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Romans 1:7

To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 10:10

By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Romans 16:15
Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them.

Romans 8:27

And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Romans 15:31

That I may be delivered from them that do not believe in Judaea; and that my service which I have for Jerusalem may be accepted of the saints;

Philippians 4:21-22
Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you. All the saints salute you, chiefly they that are of Caesar's household.

Colossians 1:26

Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:

1 Timothy 5:10

Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.

1 Corinthians 14:33

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Acts 9:32

And it came to pass, as Peter passed throughout all quarters, he came down also to the saints which dwelt at Lydda.

Ephesians 1:1

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Colossians 1:2

To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Ephesians 5:3-4
But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Romans 16:2

That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.

2 Peter 3:11

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
Revelation 13:10

He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Romans 12:13

Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

Romans 15:25-26

But now I go unto Jerusalem to minister unto the saints. For it hath pleased them of Macedonia and Achaia to make a certain contribution for the poor saints which are at Jerusalem.

1 Corinthians 6:1

Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?

1 Corinthians 16:1-2

Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.

2 Corinthians 9:1-2
For as touching the ministering to the saints, it is superfluous for me to write to you: For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many.

Philippians 1:1
Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Philippians 4:21
Salute every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren which are with me greet you.

2 Thessalonians 1:10
When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Acts 9:13
Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:
Acts 26:10

Which thing I also did in Jerusalem: and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

Revelation 13:7
#
And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations.

Revelation 16:6

For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.

Ephesians 1:18
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

1 Corinthians 6:2
Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?

Colossians 1:12
Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
ecstacy
#106 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 7:05:23 PM

What did Sister Irene Nyaatha do that is above and beyond what is expected of a true Christian?..

Does the sight of Christians venerating remains of another human being for deeds done 85yrs ago in the name of religion come across as something Christ himself would be doing or encourage?
masukuma
#107 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 7:26:33 PM

Makali1 wrote:
Muriel wrote:

'And it shall be in the last days,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS; EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN, I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT.

i reckon it's been the last days for quite some time now
Impunity
#108 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 7:32:14 PM

The MIRACLE apparently did not shower the local okuyoprenuers who had constructed hostels and single-star hotels in anticipation to cash in on over the 300,000 guest...they were left with ROTTEN eggs on their damn faces.
Only a meager 1,000 guest graced the occasion, 999 of them who were locals who would retire in their tiny wooden houses.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Euge
#109 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:51:50 PM

Impunity wrote:
The MIRACLE apparently did not shower the local okuyoprenuers who had constructed hostels and single-star hotels in anticipation to cash in on over the 300,000 guest...they were left with ROTTEN eggs on their damn faces.
Only a meager 1,000 guest graced the occasion, 999 of them who were locals who would retire in their tiny wooden houses.

Do you have a fettish for unpalatable food? Gizzards from T mall, eggs with blood in them, rotten eggs????
Lord, thank you!
whiteowl
#110 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:42:23 PM

Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
I remember meeting one guy outside Eger (Njokerio where I had gone to eat some meat when in college), We used to call him "uncle" and not the "uncle" most egertonians used to go eat meat from. So when we started talking faith matters... he said kanisa yao ina-believe in "continuous" revelation. the same way Paul, John, Peter, James, Luke e.t.c wali"funuliwa" they believe in the same - it was blasphemous for me to hear such things.. hata hiyo nyama sikukula vizuri but as I examined life and history I realized something... who decided that the 66 books make the scriptures? and more importantly... WHY? if the scriptures are an authority we need to ask ourselves ... who wrote and compiled them? it is not sufficient to quote the bible about it's sanctity coz that is spaghetti logic i.e. the bible says
Quote:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

and thus since the bible is scripture we say it's all the above since the bible says it's all the above.... ad infinitum.

1) what does the bible say? or even better which bible says what on the subject matter?
2) who says that the bible should be the sole authority on christian spiritual matters? what is the place of church history? catechism e.t.c.? Kama akina paul wali'Funuliwa' who says ufunuo uliishia hapo? who says it must be consistent with what they were told? that was them... sasa je?

Yes, not so long ago, Kamlesh become Paul
Mukiri
#111 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 11:25:53 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
This thread has brought out an interesting and yet worrying trend. A good number of people are beginning to critically examine the religious dogma we are fed and asking very pertinent questions.

It would seem faith is just not enough to fill the missing gaps. I think it would be safe to predict that in another 50 years, the influence of religion will have diminished significantly. Note this is different from the rise of atheism.

In Ireland, the Catholic church is yet to come to terms with the results of the referendum allowing gay marriages. The pro-gay campaigners won 62% of the popular vote. And yet the young voters who voted yes to gay marriages have gone through an education system that strongly emphasizes the christian values.

And why would you think that a worrying trend? It is by critical examination and asking the same pertinent questions, that led me, and many others, to Christ Jesus. A conscious well thought out decision.

As for your example, its no surprise... knowing how the devil is relentless and man weak. It happened in the days of Noah, when only a family, IN THE WHOLE WORLD, was God-fearing... happened in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah... and as prophesied will be the case in the days of Revelation.

That, not-withstanding, doesn't change Christianity. As it was, is and will be.

Proverbs 19:21
murchr
#112 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 11:59:29 PM

The questions raised here go back to the ages where Christians disagreed esp on the teachings of Paul and the teachings of Peter who became the first pope. Protestants emphasize on the teachings of Paul and even they try to twist the words of Jesus referring him as the rock of the church. The fact that some books were shunned, leaves alot to be desired. Good thing some are now popping up. The Gospel of Judas, The Gospel of Mary The gospel of Thomas etc

I'll leave this one here

Quote:
Galatians 2:11-14King James Version (KJV)

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Muriel
#113 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:08:04 AM

masukuma wrote:
Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Quote:

I am saying... who said that akina Paul were the only people who were to receive inspiration? hiyo mlango ilifungwa lini? na nani?

Taratibu, ndugu. You do not have to be suspicious and over-analytical of my intentions all the time. I agree with you, if that helps.
Muriel
#114 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:11:45 AM

masukuma wrote:
Makali1 wrote:
Muriel wrote:

This is where some analysis could have helped ,,,

(Sorry, could not help myself, this jab)
Muriel
#115 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:13:16 AM

whiteowl wrote:
Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Quote:

Yes, not so long ago, Kamlesh become Paul

Laugh.

Anyway, naturally, there are other criteria to be met.
Muriel
#116 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:17:20 AM

Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Make supplication FOR not TO all saints. Check that again bro!

Once again, Acts 9

Quote:
Ananias Baptizes Saul
10 Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.”

And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.”

13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem. 14 And here he has authority from the chief priests to bind all who call on Your name.”

who are these saints Saul was persecuting? He must have been persecuting dead people if the living can't be saints!

Yes, Lolest.

Little words like to, for, at, in etc seem not to be much and are usually skipped over by readers but then again they make substantial differences.
Muriel
#117 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:07:24 AM

murchr wrote:
The questions raised here go back to the ages where Christians disagreed esp on the teachings of Paul and the teachings of Peter who became the first pope. Protestants emphasize on the teachings of Paul and even they try to twist the words of Jesus referring him as the rock of the church. The fact that some books were shunned, leaves alot to be desired. Good thing some are now popping up. The Gospel of Judas, The Gospel of Mary The gospel of Thomas etc

I'll leave this one here

Quote:
Galatians 2:11-14King James Version (KJV)

11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

12 For before that certain came from James, he did eat with the Gentiles: but when they were come, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing them which were of the circumcision.

13 And the other Jews dissembled likewise with him; insomuch that Barnabas also was carried away with their dissimulation.

14 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews?

Murchr

What is your opinion on the ordination of women as priests and pastors?
kiash
#118 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:03:59 PM

As it is, to be a saint, one has to have done and lived a holy life.The current pope i hear once worked in a bar before becoming a priest this we know because there have been people who have given out testimonials. As for sister Irene,she died in 1930. If we were to find out how her life was, the people who would give out testimonies are almost in their 100s.So what did the catholic church base their beatification on?
masukuma
#119 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:32:51 PM

Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Makali1 wrote:
Muriel wrote:

people have been saying it's been coming for a while

Matthew 16:27 wrote:

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS. 28"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

Mark 9:1 wrote:
And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:27 wrote:
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God

hata hao walingoja sana.... it was coming... coming... coming... 1980 years still coming
Muriel
#120 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 2:12:48 PM

masukuma wrote:
Muriel wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Makali1 wrote:
Muriel wrote:

people have been saying it's been coming for a while

Matthew 16:27 wrote:

For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS. 28"Truly I say to you, there are some of those who are standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom."

Mark 9:1 wrote:
And he said to them, "I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God come with power.

Luke 9:27 wrote:
I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God

hata hao walingoja sana.... it was coming... coming... coming... 1980 years still coming

All those standing there were all human beings?