wazua Sun, May 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<34567>»
beatification of Sister Irene Nyaatha
Makali1
#81 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 4:54:35 PM

Euge wrote:

Conflict is a result of I feeling superior/better/right as opposed to you. My family better than yours, my tribe better than yours, I better than you, etc........ and this I trying to subdue you

Everyone has a belief system. Everyone thinks their thought process or whatever doctrine they subscribe to is the most correct, hence the superior way of life. Even those who say there are many ways to God think that idea is the most superior, most tolerant and the only way it should be. No human being would knowingly subscribe to an inferior belief system. Hence all mankind is inherently guilty of feeling superior, not just the Christians...although many would prefer to blame them.

Mukiri
#82 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 8:04:56 PM

Makali1 wrote:
Euge wrote:

Conflict is a result of I feeling superior/better/right as opposed to you. My family better than yours, my tribe better than yours, I better than you, etc........ and this I trying to subdue you

Everyone has a belief system. Everyone thinks their thought process or whatever doctrine they subscribe to is the most correct, hence the superior way of life. Even those who say there are many ways to God think that idea is the most superior, most tolerant and the only way it should be. No human being would knowingly subscribe to an inferior belief system. Hence all mankind is inherently guilty of feeling superior, not just the Christians...although many would prefer to blame them.

Applause

Proverbs 19:21
Lolest!
#83 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 12:22:33 AM

@mathukuma, they have the NT, don't they?

Acts 9
Quote:
Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.”

And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.”

13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem.

Quote:
32 Now it came to pass, as Peter went through all parts of the country, that he also came down to the saints who dwelt in Lydda.

Romans 16
Quote:
16 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, 2 that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also.

Ephesians 4
Quote:
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

1 Corintians 1...we are all called to be saints!
Quote:
To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours

and what makes us saints? 2 Cor 5:17
Quote:
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
masukuma
#84 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:26:33 AM

Lolest! wrote:
@mathukuma, they have the NT, don't they?

Acts 9
Quote:
Now there was a certain disciple at Damascus named Ananias; and to him the Lord said in a vision, “Ananias.”

And he said, “Here I am, Lord.”

11 So the Lord said to him, “Arise and go to the street called Straight, and inquire at the house of Judas for one called Saul of Tarsus, for behold, he is praying. 12 And in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias coming in and putting his hand on him, so that he might receive his sight.”

13 Then Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he has done to Your saints in Jerusalem.

Quote:
32 Now it came to pass, as Peter went through all parts of the country, that he also came down to the saints who dwelt in Lydda.

Romans 16
Quote:
16 I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, 2 that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you; for indeed she has been a helper of many and of myself also.

Ephesians 4
Quote:
And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

1 Corintians 1...we are all called to be saints!
Quote:
To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours

and what makes us saints? 2 Cor 5:17
Quote:
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Yes, but who said that this is the only reference they use? They have catechism, church history among other things that they use. Practically speaking its a more relevant point of view since believing that God said everything he had to say by the time of writing the letters of john is narrow minded
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Iganamagana
#85 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 7:09:16 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Swenani wrote:
The rituals of catholic church are satanic

very weird too. what's the biblical basis of some dead person praying for you?

It's no different from African Traditional Religion where our ancestors believed the dead have power over the living and even offered sacrifices to them!

Who said they don't have those powers? Let every religion be. None is superior to the other. I wish we could all live in harmony. My faith should not affect you unless I choose to convert you by force.
Jitahidi
#86 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:36:24 AM

Revelations 5:8[/quote]
And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints
[/quote]
Swenani
#87 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 8:41:32 AM

Jitahidi wrote:
Revelations 5:8

And when he had taken the book, the four beasts and four and twenty elders fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps, and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints
[/quote]
[/quote]

wacha uchokozi
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
murchr
#88 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 9:05:12 AM

Iganamagana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Swenani wrote:

It's no different from African Traditional Religion where our ancestors believed the dead have power over the living and even offered sacrifices to them!

Who said they don't have those powers? Let every religion be. None is superior to the other. I wish we could all live in harmony. My faith should not affect you unless I choose to convert you by force.

Funny that those who claim to be believers dont know their texts

Ephesians 6:18 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

Revelation 8:3-4

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand.

James 5:16

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

On "No Contact with the dead"

Matthew 17:3-4

3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."…

On Mary being Blessed

Luke 1:41-45

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
ZZE123
#89 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:20:18 AM

Iganamagana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Swenani wrote:

Even now the middoo class still offer those sacrifices. Go to any pub and see the guys who buy full bottles of Jamison how they open and first pour a few drops on the ground before drinking. Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
Lolest!
#90 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:22:05 AM

Jitahidi wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]
Who are saints? see my earlier post. A saint is a believer!!
FRM2011
#91 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:25:23 AM

This thread has brought out an interesting and yet worrying trend. A good number of people are beginning to critically examine the religious dogma we are fed and asking very pertinent questions.

It would seem faith is just not enough to fill the missing gaps. I think it would be safe to predict that in another 50 years, the influence of religion will have diminished significantly. Note this is different from the rise of atheism.

In Ireland, the Catholic church is yet to come to terms with the results of the referendum allowing gay marriages. The pro-gay campaigners won 62% of the popular vote. And yet the young voters who voted yes to gay marriages have gone through an education system that strongly emphasizes the christian values.

Swenani
#92 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:30:56 AM

Lolest! wrote:
Jitahidi wrote:

[/quote]
Who are saints? see my earlier post. A saint is a believer!![/quote]

Does a person become a saint(through faith and belief) or he has to be made a saint by fellow human beings(like Irene)?
Lolest!
#93 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:32:47 AM

murchr wrote:

Funny that those who claim to be believers dont know their texts

Ephesians 6:18 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints,

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.

Revelation 8:3-4

3 Another angel, who had a golden censer, came and stood at the altar. He was given much incense to offer, with the prayers of all God’s people, on the golden altar in front of the throne. 4 The smoke of the incense, together with the prayers of God’s people, went up before God from the angel’s hand.
God's people/saints are believers. See earlier post

James 5:16

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

No problem with praying for each other. But praying to/thru the dead???

On "No Contact with the dead"

Matthew 17:3-4

3 And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him. 4 Peter said to Jesus, "Lord, it is good for us to be here; if You wish, I will make three tabernacles here, one for You, and one for Moses, and one for Elijah."…

and they prayed to/through Elijah and Moses??

On Mary being Blessed

Luke 1:41-45

41 When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. 45 Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

No problem with that. Mary was indeed blessed. But praying through Mary? It's recorded in Acts that Mary prayed with the apostles. The apostles didn't pray through her!

Acts 1
Quote:
12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a Sabbath day’s journey. 13 And when they had entered, they went up into the upper room where they were staying: Peter, James, John, and Andrew; Philip and Thomas; Bartholomew and Matthew; James the son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot; and Judas the son of James. 14 These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication,[b] with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.

Lolest!
#94 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:35:33 AM

Iganamagana wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Swenani wrote:

my analysis of your faith should not affect you either
Makali1
#95 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:39:40 AM

FRM2011 wrote:

It would seem faith is just not enough to fill the missing gaps. I think it would be safe to predict that in another 50 years, the influence of religion will have diminished significantly. Note this is different from the rise of atheism.

Actually, these "trends" we're seeing are not worrying to the true believer. These things were prophesied that they would happen in the end times.

When the Son of Man comes will he find faith on the earth? Luke 18:8

Regarding the events in Ireland, and this spirit of sodomy that has gripped the world, that too, was predicted to happen.

Heaven and earth shall pass away but His word will never pass away.

The closer this world gets to being Sodom and Gomorrah, the closer those of us who have accepted Jesus Christ are to leaving it!

Luke 17:28- 30: "Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded; But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all. Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed."

Lolest!
#96 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:40:09 AM

Swenani wrote:

Does a person become a saint(through faith and belief) or he has to be made a saint by fellow human beings(like Irene)?

Human beings will judge by what they see which may not necessarily be the real deal. You could be seen as kind when inwardly you have no love

You can be a great giver but not a saint, you can be a prophet, but not a saint. Only God makes us Saints

1 Cor 13
Quote:
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, it profits me nothing.
Swenani
#97 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 11:59:23 AM

Mawinder was in Nyeri!

Quote:
According to eye witnesses, the women were dressed in vestments similar to those of the nuns walked into the hostels pretending to be part of a delegation that was in search of accommodation at the university. "But other nuns working in the institution became suspicious and told them off. They then handed them over to security officers who ordered them out," said Nyeri OCPD Charles Rotich However, as they walked out, they managed to pick the bags as if they had walked in with them. "But they were arrested by the police and are still in custody pending further investigations," Father George Mutahi of the Nyeri Diocese told the Standard on Sunday

Quote:
On the same night, a saloon car also went missing at Gikondi Catholic Church as the pilgrims observed their vigil.

It's hard doing business with these people

Quote:
Sunday, traders expressed their disappointment, with some revealing they were forced to throw away food or sell it at throwaway prices as there were no customers. Most of the food vendors had pitched tent outside the main celebration centre at Dedan Kimathi University but by nightfall their food containers were still full to the brim

Quote:
She said she had shopped for merchandise worth more than Sh250,000 from Nairobi, expecting to make a killing, but by the end of the day she had only managed to make a total sale of Sh1,400
masukuma
#98 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 4:30:28 PM

I remember meeting one guy outside Eger (Njokerio where I had gone to eat some meat when in college), We used to call him "uncle" and not the "uncle" most egertonians used to go eat meat from. So when we started talking faith matters... he said kanisa yao ina-believe in "continuous" revelation. the same way Paul, John, Peter, James, Luke e.t.c wali"funuliwa" they believe in the same - it was blasphemous for me to hear such things.. hata hiyo nyama sikukula vizuri but as I examined life and history I realized something... who decided that the 66 books make the scriptures? and more importantly... WHY? if the scriptures are an authority we need to ask ourselves ... who wrote and compiled them? it is not sufficient to quote the bible about it's sanctity coz that is spaghetti logic i.e. the bible says
Quote:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

and thus since the bible is scripture we say it's all the above since the bible says it's all the above.... ad infinitum.

I guess the whole disagreement above stems from 2 things,

1) what does the bible say? or even better which bible says what on the subject matter?
2) who says that the bible should be the sole authority on christian spiritual matters? what is the place of church history? catechism e.t.c.? Kama akina paul wali'Funuliwa' who says ufunuo uliishia hapo? who says it must be consistent with what they were told? that was them... sasa je?
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Muriel
#99 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 4:47:46 PM

masukuma wrote:
I remember meeting one guy outside Eger (Njokerio where I had gone to eat some meat when in college), We used to call him "uncle" and not the "uncle" most egertonians used to go eat meat from. So when we started talking faith matters... he said kanisa yao ina-believe in "continuous" revelation. the same way Paul, John, Peter, James, Luke e.t.c wali"funuliwa" they believe in the same - it was blasphemous for me to hear such things.. hata hiyo nyama sikukula vizuri but as I examined life and history I realized something... who decided that the 66 books make the scriptures? and more importantly... WHY? if the scriptures are an authority we need to ask ourselves ... who wrote and compiled them? it is not sufficient to quote the bible about it's sanctity coz that is spaghetti logic i.e. the bible says
Quote:

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

and thus since the bible is scripture we say it's all the above since the bible says it's all the above.... ad infinitum.

I guess the whole disagreement above stems from 2 things,

1) what does the bible say? or even better which bible says what on the subject matter?
2) who says that the bible should be the sole authority on christian spiritual matters? what is the place of church history? catechism e.t.c.? Kama akina paul wali'Funuliwa' who says ufunuo uliishia hapo? who says it must be consistent with what they were told? that was them... sasa je?

You are saying there exists a modern or contemporary individual who receives/received inspiration as did akina Paul?
sparkly
#100 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 5:09:10 PM

Hii mambo ya kufukua watu na kupangapanga mifupa... Very cultish, if it was done by a non mainstream Church, it would be police case.
Life is short. Live passionately.