wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Amana Capital
murchr
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 17, 2015 6:48:14 AM

Just seen something floating on Facebook and wondered why it has not been discussed here on Wazua...but I guess here is the reason....

Apparently the money that stays with them the least time makes more money...mmmmmhhhh.....
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
UpcomingPaperChaser
#2 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 10:46:03 PM

murchr wrote:
Just seen something floating on Facebook and wondered why it has not been discussed here on Wazua...but I guess here is the reason....

Apparently the money that stays with them the least time makes more money...mmmmmhhhh.....

Personally, i have not tried them. However, sometime back i researched about them and they had very many positive reviews. Shorter durations offer high returns because of certainity unlike longer durations like 6 months where anything can happen happen along the way. Even with I $ M, shorter periods attract higher returns.
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
Dahatre
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 8:19:31 AM

Wait..

Are you saying I could have earned 27.08% (minus the 2.25% fee) for a 90 day unit trust with the growth fund? Why do I find that hard to believe in the current environment? Do they have a prospectus that says which Kenyan counters constitute their portfolio?
murchr wrote:

whiteowl
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 10:11:38 AM

Who are the owners/directors? Coz they're going to be billionaires just like the VIP Portal guys.
Victorianjagi
#5 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 1:43:55 PM

The returns stated are correct. What they do is, their Balanced and Growth Fund are locked for 3 years. So in a one month period, your investment would have yielded 60% interest (this will depend on how the stocks they invest in perform) same goes for 3 months back, 6 months back , 12 months back . Tricky thing is , you cannot withdraw before 3 years, so you couldnt have gotten in then get out in 3 months Sad . As for their Directors check here http://amanacapital.co.k...ages/board_of_directors and Amana has been there since long ago, only that guys dont know them!
murchr
#6 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 6:25:37 PM

Victorianjagi wrote:
The returns stated are correct. What they do is, their Balanced and Growth Fund are locked for 3 years. So in a one month period, your investment would have yielded 60% interest (this will depend on how the stocks they invest in perform) same goes for 3 months back, 6 months back , 12 months back . Tricky thing is , you cannot withdraw before 3 years, so you couldnt have gotten in then get out in 3 months Sad . As for their Directors check here http://amanacapital.co.k...ages/board_of_directors and Amana has been there since long ago, only that guys dont know them!

Say that AGAIN Victoria Njagi
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Chaka
#7 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 9:09:21 PM

Victorianjagi wrote:

But this gains would be subject to WHT at redemption?
kaka2za
#8 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 10:41:31 PM

I don't know about other funds but Amana Shilling Fund is the best in the market.
High interest rates ,timely updates and so easy to redeem.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Dahatre
#9 Posted : Monday, May 25, 2015 11:49:54 PM

Victoria:

If this is the case, why does the Amana website state that the minimum investment period is 91 days for both the balanced and growth fund?

And where does it say that you cannot access the money before 3 years
Victorianjagi wrote:

Dahatre
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 12:07:38 AM

Plus a 2.5% management fee per year, irrespective of what the market does.

Given the yearly yields they currently have posted for the balanced fund (7.28%) and the growth fund (8.80%) One might be better off with a renewing 91 day treasury note...unless I am missing something.

Chaka wrote:

But this gains would be subject to WHT at redemption?

butterflyke
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 7:49:23 AM

kaka2za wrote:
I don't know about other funds but Amana Shilling Fund is the best in the market.

What are the rates you have enjoyed?
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
TheGeek
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:24:50 AM

butterflyke wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

Roughly 1% per month net.
No redemption charge and funds are available within 2 days of filling the redemption form via email.
I have never actually visited their office.
Best place to park windfalls before deployment.
In the world of securities, courage and patience become the supreme virtues after adequate knowledge and a tested judgment are at hand.
Chaka
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:00:59 AM

TheGeek wrote:
butterflyke wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

No redemption charge and funds are available within 2 days of filling the redemption form via email.

As per todays newspaper(DN pg 41),Amana's yield yesterday was 10.07% which is about 0.7% net p.m..did you negotiate the 1%?There are four other providers which are shown to have a better yield at least as per yesterday.
Victorianjagi
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:01:56 AM

The gains are NOT subject to WHT. For the 91 days lock period indicated, it means you cannot withdraw at all before 91 days. After 91 days, you can withdraw , but there are penalties of 3% if you withdraw in the first year, 2% if you withdraw in the second year and 1% if you withdraw in the last year. So basically its like your money is locked for 3 years! Last year their Growth and Balanced fund didnt perform well, but since January the rates have shot up! For their Shilling Fund , it may not be the best performing currently, but they have had the best returns in the past.
Dahatre
#15 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:48:30 PM

I see...

If you know them, let them know that this info needs to be part of the short description they provide to potential customers.

Victorianjagi wrote:
The gains are NOT subject to WHT. For the 91 days lock period indicated, it means you cannot withdraw at all before 91 days. After 91 days, you can withdraw , but there are penalties of 3% if you withdraw in the first year, 2% if you withdraw in the second year and 1% if you withdraw in the last year. So basically its like your money is locked for 3 years! Last year their Growth and Balanced fund didnt perform well, but since January the rates have shot up! For their Shilling Fund , it may not be the best performing currently, but they have had the best returns in the past.

Dahatre
#16 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 8:57:25 PM

There is also the 2% fee..which in this case would be 0.16%/month which may seem inconsequential but can make a difference if you have a substantial amount of money. Sorry not feeling Amana (shrug).

Chaka wrote:
TheGeek wrote:
butterflyke wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

As per todays newspaper(DN pg 41),Amana's yield yesterday was 10.07% which is about 0.7% net p.m..did you negotiate the 1%?There are four other providers which are shown to have a better yield at least as per yesterday.
Gordon Gekko
#17 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:27:21 PM

Dahatre wrote:
I see...

If you know them, let them know that this info needs to be part of the short description they provide to potential customers.

Victorianjagi wrote:

Of course she knows them - she works there!!!!!😹
Dahatre
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 26, 2015 10:54:36 PM

Hao wengine ni akina nani?

Chaka wrote:

Chaka
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 7:38:36 AM

Dahatre wrote:
Hao wengine ni akina nani?

Chaka wrote:

Since this thread is about Amana,may not be fair to name them here.You can check in the newspaper or search for money market threads in wazua,some are mentioned there..
jano
#20 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:06:18 AM

some companies post lower rate but that is net of management fee unlike others that post gross return,also something to be keen on is whether the interest is simple interest or compounded.

I work with one of the 'others' and for anyone who needs insights give your contacts.