wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<567
Where is God in all these?
Muriel
#121 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 10:52:14 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
The funny thing is that despite my gripes with religion, I still realize the role that religion plays in society. The problem is that we still don't have a solid alternative that can appease the masses.

I have a feeling you are unwilling or unable to dance more vigorously.

For example, are you admitting that even atheism is not a 'solid alternative'?
Fullykenyan
#122 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 1:56:31 PM

I am also Christian but i also have my doubts about it. Nevertheless, i believe Christianity is the glue that holds the World together. My doubts started strongly when my friend, who is a pastor, asked his girlfriend that they get married. When the girlfriend broke the news to her parents,the parents told her point blank, that they do not support a union of a black and a white person, simply because the Bible is against it. When my buddy heard about it, he asked the parents of the girl to pinpoint those verses. So one sunday after Church, they met and the dad, who is a mzee wa kanisa and occasionaly preaches in the Church, went through layers of Bible verses. The meeting took the whole afternoon. In the end, they prayed and the dad of the girl hugged my friend, and told him not to take it personally coz he aint a racist but he doesnt want to give his daughter to a black guy, because that would tantamount to sinning. Well, in the end they got married but the parents never showed up.
limanika
#123 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 6:08:36 PM

Muriel - Atheist? Read the following article by a former atheist, and how she came to discover that God Almighty reigns.
http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html
It would appear most people do not want to believe in a God who rewards good and punishes evil – In other words they want to have their cake and eat it - and not have anyone ‘interfere’ with their space.
A question, for arguments sake, would be, if you were running your own universe, would you stipulate what standards your creation ought to abide, and if so, would there be consequences- punishment for failure to abide and reward for abiding? And if there is no punishment for failure to abide, is that fair for those who abide? If it you had a free for all regime, nobody would prevent terrorists from blowing up your entire work using nukes? The meticulous order in the Universe is consistent with a Holy, Orderly, Omnipotent , Supreme and Eternal God. He wouldn’t have to live physically amongst men JUST for them to know and believe in Him.
Also note that religion is not preserve for people with low IQ. There are over 2Billion Christians in the world today, all these cannot be low IQ. Read list of famous scientists who believed in God. http://www.godandscience...tics/sciencefaith.html. However you do not need high IQ to know or believe in God, indeed human wisdom is like filthy rags before God. Some with (supposedly) high IQ like Albert Einstein were confused about this subject the whole of their lives.
mv_ufanisi
#124 Posted : Friday, May 08, 2015 11:04:13 PM

Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
The funny thing is that despite my gripes with religion, I still realize the role that religion plays in society. The problem is that we still don't have a solid alternative that can appease the masses.

I have a feeling you are unwilling or unable to dance more vigorously.

For example, are you admitting that even atheism is not a 'solid alternative'?

All I'm saying is that a lot of the masses can't deal with the suspension of belief and continuous questioning that would be required.

Consider also the fact that religion also has quite a number of positive side effects - see those happy families going to church every Sunday? Or the well organized Muslim families?

Yes it's not factual but consider it as a proverb such as "Hurry, hurry has no blessings". It's generally good advice but it trips you up if you take it literally and don't run away from a wild animal.

Religion becomes a problem when people start to take it literally.
limanika
#125 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 7:32:06 AM

[quote=Mike Ock]@ mv_ufanisi that is one of the most unfortunate things, the way Africans have lapped up Israeli religious culture. I wish some Africans can be taken to Israel to see what those guys think of black people. Here is a preview:

https://youtu.be/dPxv4Aff3IA[/quote]

@MV, Mike et al...I wouldn’t want to say much about the traditional African practises. However, you might agree with me it is PERFECTLY CONSISTENT that God would choose the Jews as starting point to renew His relationship with man. Assume, at the time of creation, God showed you the map of the world and asked you to choose the best spot to place the first man. Where would you choose? Since the only means of transport available is thro land by foot or donkey/camel, myself I would choose Israel or Egypt, so man can easily propagate to Euroasia and Africa, these which constitute the largest portion of the earth's land mass. Likewise this is the same spot Gospel would start, for the same reasons.
You might then ask, so what happens to those who Africans who lived pre 1850 and never heard the Gospel? Well, I do not know either. However, I believe God has a fair solution to solve the puzzle.
Any possibilities I can think of in my limited mind? Yes. As stated earlier, God transcends Time and Space. He could flip through space and time the way you flip thro’ the pages of a book. W.r.t Africa pre 1850, He could for instance, use concept of belief and conscience to group the Peoples at the judgement Throne, rather than time. The three Abrahamic religions –Christianity, Islam and Judaism, have a common ancestor in Abraham. There are those people who existed in the time period between Adam and Abraham - these may not be placed in the same group with the Abraham’s descendants, simply because they don’t even know he existed. What if God were to put pre1850 African and other non-Abrahamic religions like Hindu in this group and make his determination according to their conscience – since I believe everyone who ever lived has a conscience, understands the concept of good and evil, and acknowledge existence of a Supreme Being who is fair and just? Would this be slightly fair - than us saying that all such would be condemned? Likewise, a Hindu girl/boy who converts to Christianity is placed in a different time warp from the rest of his/her family. We may not know everything, and possibly never will, however what I know is that when God sits at His throne to make judgement, everyone will acknowledge that he has been judged fairly.
Whatever you do, please listen to the still, small, inner voice.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#126 Posted : Sunday, May 10, 2015 12:00:34 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
limanika wrote:
The Bible is true and authentic word of God. It is about God reestablishing relationship with man. It is an all time best seller, has been subject of scholarly study throughout the ages, and is as valid, fresh and practical today as it was 2000yrs ago. Science, on the other hand, is about man trying to discover God's creation. Indeed man has been incredibly slow (and still is) trying to understand God's creation, if you consider that basis of current advances in technology only date back some 100-200 yrs back, yet man was given domion over the earth at creation but to date there's so much about God's creation we still don't know. It therefore follows that you cannot use science to understand God, but the converse is true. The virgin birth, for example, is impossible scientifically. A certain scholar said that if in your wisdom you find that the Bible is contradictory and untrue, then it means perhaps you are setting yourself as the standard of truth and all understanding. All in all God has given us free will to make our own decisions. However, the consequences of the choices we make, including their influence (or lack thereof if you like) on what happens after the curtain falls, is not under your control. Also note it is not possible in present life to fully understand God and all His ways. He created Time and space and transcends both. Man, on the other hand, operates within space-time hence the limitation. However, God has made possible our understanding of Him to the point necessary for our current exisistence

Muslims and other religious people with books would also make the exact same argument and also have proof.

Africans should be no 1 skeptics but they tend to be no 1 believers of foreign religions. Only 150 years ago no one would have believed this bible stuff that most Kenyans now quote as if it was fact based.

If the Europeans and Arabs didn't come here to conquer us, we would still be believing our own theories that worked for us for thousands of years.

The bible is a Jewish story put down on paper, same for the Koran being an Arab book. Africans don't feature in these texts.

We used to have our own stories where we were the chosen people (main actors) but we lost the war against the invaders. Now we have to put up with being asides and guest actors.

Not saying that our stories were fact based either.

Low IQ is tied to not questioning what you are told and accepting things on face value.

@MV _ Ufanisi, well put man. Respect. #MadRespect#
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
harrydre
#127 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 7:29:44 PM

Here we go again. Dear God, why didn't you strike this animal with a lightning?

https://mobile.nation.co...600494-c2hg6l/index.html
i.am.back!!!!
Angelica _ann
#128 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 7:49:29 PM

[quote=harrydre]Here we go again. Dear God, why didn't you strike this animal with a lightning?

https://mobile.nation.co...00494-c2hg6l/index.html[/quote]

No words Sad Sad Sad
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
radio
#129 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2018 11:35:51 PM

[quote=harrydre]Here we go again. Dear God, why didn't you strike this animal with a lightning?

These stories break my heart. I feel so helpless.
masukuma
#130 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 10:33:18 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
limanika wrote:
The Bible is true and authentic word of God. It is about God reestablishing relationship with man. It is an all time best seller, has been subject of scholarly study throughout the ages, and is as valid, fresh and practical today as it was 2000yrs ago. Science, on the other hand, is about man trying to discover God's creation. Indeed man has been incredibly slow (and still is) trying to understand God's creation, if you consider that basis of current advances in technology only date back some 100-200 yrs back, yet man was given domion over the earth at creation but to date there's so much about God's creation we still don't know. It therefore follows that you cannot use science to understand God, but the converse is true. The virgin birth, for example, is impossible scientifically. A certain scholar said that if in your wisdom you find that the Bible is contradictory and untrue, then it means perhaps you are setting yourself as the standard of truth and all understanding. All in all God has given us free will to make our own decisions. However, the consequences of the choices we make, including their influence (or lack thereof if you like) on what happens after the curtain falls, is not under your control. Also note it is not possible in present life to fully understand God and all His ways. He created Time and space and transcends both. Man, on the other hand, operates within space-time hence the limitation. However, God has made possible our understanding of Him to the point necessary for our current exisistence

Muslims and other religious people with books would also make the exact same argument and also have proof.

Africans should be no 1 skeptics but they tend to be no 1 believers of foreign religions. Only 150 years ago no one would have believed this bible stuff that most Kenyans now quote as if it was fact based.

If the Europeans and Arabs didn't come here to conquer us, we would still be believing our own theories that worked for us for thousands of years.

The bible is a Jewish story put down on paper, same for the Koran being an Arab book. Africans don't feature in these texts.

We used to have our own stories where we were the chosen people (main actors) but we lost the war against the invaders. Now we have to put up with being asides and guest actors.

Not saying that our stories were fact based either.

Low IQ is tied to not questioning what you are told and accepting things on face value.

@MV _ Ufanisi, well put man. Respect. #MadRespect#

it would be really nice if we had a God/Messiah/Chief Prophet that had negroid features....Not a white dude

this whole debate reminds me of a certain scene in Shaka Zulu
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
#131 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 1:52:44 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

No words Sad Sad Sad

Something is surely wrong with this country. If you have 4,422 people defining children in one year (2016) then Something's terribly wrong.

BBI will solve it
:)
masukuma
#132 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 2:11:15 PM

2012 wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

No words Sad Sad Sad

Something is surely wrong with this country. If you have 4,422 people defining children in one year (2016) then Something's terribly wrong.

terrible... apparently some other nice looking countries are worse

All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
AlphDoti
#133 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 3:02:43 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
I am also Christian but i also have my doubts about it. Nevertheless, i believe Christianity is the glue that holds the World together. My doubts started strongly when my friend, who is a pastor, asked his girlfriend that they get married. When the girlfriend broke the news to her parents,the parents told her point blank, that they do not support a union of a black and a white person, simply because the Bible is against it. When my buddy heard about it, he asked the parents of the girl to pinpoint those verses. So one sunday after Church, they met and the dad, who is a mzee wa kanisa and occasionaly preaches in the Church, went through layers of Bible verses. The meeting took the whole afternoon. In the end, they prayed and the dad of the girl hugged my friend, and told him not to take it personally coz he aint a racist but he doesnt want to give his daughter to a black guy, because that would tantamount to sinning. Well, in the end they got married but the parents never showed up.

Yeah, there is one case, almost Similar to this in the book:

"But he (Jesus) answered and said I am NOT SENT but unto the lost sheep of the HOUSE OF ISRAEL (the Jews only). "Then came she (the Canaanite woman) and worshipped him, saying Lord, help me (to cure my daughter). "But he answered and said, it is not meet to take the children's bread and CAST IT TO DOGS (the non-Jews)." BIBLE MATTHEW 15:24-26
AlphDoti
#134 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 3:40:39 PM

masukuma wrote:
2012 wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Here we go again. Dear God, why didn't you strike this animal with a lightning?

No words Sad Sad Sad

terrible... apparently some other nice looking countries are worse

Western lifestyle which people are busy admiring, the "Westernization", which is actually a disguise form of exploitation of the women body, deprivation of honour, and degrading of soul, through those naked women sitting on billboards, naked women selling everything even chocolate bar, toothpaste, everything... This lifestyle represents sexual exploitation...
AlphDoti
#135 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 3:42:18 PM

People are watching too much bad material. And the habit will destroy them, their relationships, their marriages... It may even lead some people to pedophilia and rape... It makes men look at women as objects... and vice versa...
AlphDoti
#136 Posted : Friday, June 08, 2018 3:57:59 PM

If you implemented the law of capital punishment by death, do you think the rate of this rape crime would decrease or increase?