wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Where is God in all these?
mv_ufanisi
#41 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:35:31 AM

Science departs from religion because it's experimentative, based on repeatable observations, thrives on doubt and is quite open to surprises. Religion on the other hand is primarily rote learning such as in madrassas and sunday schools. In science you're encouraged to suspend belief, in religion you're coerced into belief through all kinds of narratives/promises/scare tactics that seem to corroborate an idea.
mv_ufanisi
#42 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:40:25 AM

The fact of the matter though is that the majority of the world is not smart enough to live without religion. So it is somewhat a necessary evil. The masses need something simple that they can follow and be used to guide their actions. If religion was to be suddenly expunged from the world, there might be mass confusion afterwards. Religion is basically similar to watching a movie, you know it's not really true, but you have to go with it (ie assume that people are actually dying in the flick) in order to enjoy the movie.
tycho
#43 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:46:44 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Science departs from religion because it's experimentative, based on repeatable observations, thrives on doubt and is quite open to surprises. Religion on the other hand is primarily rote learning such as in madrassas and sunday schools. In science you're encouraged to suspend belief, in religion you're coerced into belief through all kinds of narratives/promises/scare tactics that seem to corroborate an idea.

In a way science then becomes a religion of sorts. In fact all of the above characteristics that apply to religion apply to science.

Only that now science is a kind of religion that can be shared across cultures, and new myths may come at a higher turnover.
Tokyo
#44 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:01:49 AM

Laughing out loudly
Swenani wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
God is a long dead human originally from Middle East. No evidence whatsoever to prove otherwise

You could be right. Your god is dead but Jehovah lives forever.

Where is evidence

The Bible

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Which bible
work to prosper
Swenani
#45 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:19:17 AM

Tokyo wrote:
Laughing out loudly
Swenani wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
Tokyo wrote:
God is a long dead human originally from Middle East. No evidence whatsoever to prove otherwise

You could be right. Your god is dead but Jehovah lives forever.

Where is evidence

The Bible

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Which bible

King James version
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Muriel
#46 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:30:09 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:

You are attempting to divide the inseparable.

In science you are encouraged to suspend belief? I can quite easily take you to task on that and you won't be able to answer at all.

For example, I believe the big bang happened. Am I religious?

mv_ufanisi
#47 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 11:47:28 AM

Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

In science you are encouraged to suspend belief? I can quite easily take you to task on that and you won't be able to answer at all.

viva la difference

Science: the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
Mike Ock
#48 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:00:21 PM

I don't allow myself to get too worked up about religion.

From my experience most religious people are only casually religious. They only have a passing knowledge of vague summaries of their religious texts, and on a day to day basis, they make their decisions based on circumstance rather than following what their god instructs. Not very different from a non believer.
Muriel
#49 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:02:39 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

Science: the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

It seems your object is 'God' and not 'belief'.

I studied what has not yet been rehearsed, observed or recreated by anyone anywhere and now I know, I believe it happened as has been explained.

If I believe in the big bang, I am good to go.
Muriel
#50 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:04:11 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
I don't allow myself to get too worked up about religion.

From my experience most religious people are only casually religious. They only have a passing knowledge of vague summaries of their religious texts, and on a day to day basis, they make their decisions based on circumstance rather than following what their god instructs. Not very different from a non believer.

I agree.
Swenani
#51 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:17:57 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

Based on your definition of science,, what is the scientific explanation of the existence of the universe and life on earth?

mv_ufanisi
#52 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:41:58 PM

Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

Based on your definition of science,, what is the scientific explanation of the existence of the universe and life on earth?

This question is similar to "What is the scientific explanation for the existence of cars and aeroplanes?"
Science concerns itself with the behavior and structure of matter. So Science attempts to answer, what is the behavior and structure of the universe or life on earth?

Swenani
#53 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:02:44 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

This question is similar to "What is the scientific explanation for the existence of cars and aeroplanes?"
Science concerns itself with the behavior and structure of matter. So Science attempts to answer, what is the behavior and structure of the universe or life on earth?

Good, Do not try to trash religion if you are unable able to explain the existence of certain things scientifically.

In my simple view,God is the creator of life and universe science only discovers and understands it.

Having said that I believe the Big bhang theory complements creation
tycho
#54 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:15:31 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

In this case religion is a scientific product.
tycho
#55 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:29:23 PM

Belief in 'proof' is a superstition. In the first place proof is dependent on shared symbols and ways of doing things that's only specific to a culture. Intelligent beings from distant planets aren't amenable to the various proofs we may wish to offer. So, a proof has no objective and universal existence.

Science then makes pretence that it doesn't need a supernatural basis when it in fact relies on it.

Another weakness with science is that it claims to be impersonal. That is, while many will accuse religion for interhuman conflict, science in its aloofness will arm the religionists. Science will not and can't cure human alienation, and can't guarantee peace.
Muriel
#56 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 1:57:40 PM

Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

Good, Do not try to trash religion if you are unable able to explain the existence of certain things scientifically.

In my simple view,God is the creator of life and universe science only discovers and understands it.

It is the 'my belief is better than yours, see, I can do 1, 2, 3 with it unlike yours.' situation.

AlphDoti
#57 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 2:32:06 PM

tycho wrote:
Belief in 'proof' is a superstition. In the first place proof is dependent on shared symbols and ways of doing things that's only specific to a culture. Intelligent beings from distant planets aren't amenable to the various proofs we may wish to offer. So, a proof has no objective and universal existence.

Science then makes pretence that it doesn't need a supernatural basis when it in fact relies on it.

Another weakness with science is that it claims to be impersonal. That is, while many will accuse religion for interhuman conflict, science in its aloofness will arm the religionists. Science will not and can't cure human alienation, and can't guarantee peace.

Science discovers and confirms what is already there. Now, if a word is coming from the creator or designer or manufacturer, then it can only be proved by science as a fact. Otherwise, if science disapproves it, then it is not from creator.

You're right science cannot solve human problems. Because that is the final consequence of corruption.

If people don't do good, how do you think they're going to expect good?

We see misery, early death, diseased, living with dispair, winding up lonely and living in dark places and frustration!

Why? Because everything that the creator told us not to do, when we do it, it winds up with disease.
You name it.
If the creator told us not to drink alcohol, what is one of the greatest disease in the world today? ALCOHOLISM.
If the creator told us not to do drugs, what is one of the greatest diseases in the world today? DRUG ABUSE.
If the creator told us not to fornicate, not to commit adultery, what is one of the greatest diseases in the world today? STD (Sexually transmitted diseases).
If the creator told us to be fair, don't take interest, what is the greatest source of stress today? DEBT.

Everything the creator say DO NOT DO, if you DO it, because you have the will to do it, it ends up with DISEASE. Everything the creator say to DO, if you do it, it winds up as a gift.
hamburglar
#58 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:08:48 PM

For the umpteenth time, there is no god you dimwited religious people. He doesnt exist. I have been mocking him for years and he is yet to punish me. Not sure if he is afraid of me. If say, hypothetically he exists, then he must be the biggest piece of shit ever.

Anyway, am sad for the people of Nepal. Am too exhausted to debate weak minded religious people. Am proud to be an atheist, my world is very vivid. I get to be an independent thinker who can use reason and logic to navigate through life and so far i have had great success at it so you guys can keep waiting for your favors and blessings while the rest of us atheists use our brains to get ahead. I feel bad for religious folks especially one guy who is supposedly a prayer warrior yet if were it not for my constant assistance, he would have starved to death by now. The guy can't even think, everything according to him is god's will or "leave it in god's hands" and yet he can't afford a square meal on most days. Kwani this god guy cannot see his plight and help him? Or maybe it's time for him to ditch this imaginary god and start thinking of ways to pursue a better life. Dude is struggling yet he has suspended all critical thinking in lieu of wishful thinking and hopes of a better life after this. News break, this is the ONLY life, after this, you all are worm food, six feet under. There are no pearly gates and gold plated roads after this. Make this life here on earth your heaven and quit being morons who can't think.

One of my friends is called pasi because he is supposedly really really religious. But just like all the other pasis, he is the biggest scambug i have ever met. At least us atheists have integrity. We do good because it's the right thing to do, not because we want to appease an ill tempered imaginary sadist in the skies in return for a ticket into this mythical heaven. I wouldn't want to go to this heaven even if it existed. I can't be around somebody who just sat back and saw over 5000 people lose their lives in Nepal and did nothing about it, yet apparently he could have stopped it even before it happened with a snap of the fingers. What a crock.

You guys tell your ill tempered god to strike me dead. Why is he slow to act? I have been waiting for his punishment for years but it seems like he is confused. Instead of punishing me, he is "blessing" me more. What's his problem? Laughing out loudly
Muriel
#59 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:13:37 PM

What's that sound?
mv_ufanisi
#60 Posted : Thursday, April 30, 2015 3:21:10 PM

Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Swenani wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Muriel wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

viva la difference

So you think religion is valuable because it helps you to explain things like the existence of the universe?

Religion is a set of rituals and way of thinking with the idea that you are trying to appease a being high up in the sky.

I don't trash religion. Actually I think it has some use in the world, the world is not yet smart enough to live without some form of religion. The problem is when religions clash.

All I've said is that religion is not real, it's just like a movie, you know it's acting but when you are watching it you suspend belief so you can follow the story. It's similar to Santa Claus, kids feel good believing in Santa and trying to be good so they can get a present at the end of the year. Telling a five year old that santa isn't real, leads to unnecessary tears.