wazua Wed, May 1, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages<12345>»
KenolKobil FY14 PAT up 95%
derick
#41 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:41:16 AM

babaroy wrote:
The bottom line has been fattened by savings made from cost cutting measures...beyond that, KK has no growth potential....right time to exit the counter, and await for Q1 results

Got a good point there
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
Goldilocks Reloaded
#42 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:06:23 PM

Good results are good results. Kudos KK. Of interest to see is how KK positions itself with the oil finds in Kenya and in the region. Am in it for the long haul. Wenye wanashuka kwa sababu miguu imeganda juu ya kukaa chini sana washuke tu ndio tupate nafasi. #YOLO
Go for a business that any idiot can run – because sooner or later, any idiot is probably going to run it – Peter Lynch
mlennyma
#43 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:22:31 PM

growing wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
4.12 million traded 11.10am... Who is selling? That is worrisome.

I'm wondering Sad

why are you not wondering about those seeing the potential to buy in bulk at that price?this could be the right investors entering
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Mucene
#44 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:33:16 PM

This results are superb to me, especially the fact that they are able to repay loans using cash the generate from operations rather than sale of assets. Their strategy of exiting low margin business is working very well here
If you don't want to go to plan B have a good plan A.
mwekez@ji
#45 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:42:26 PM

derick wrote:
babaroy wrote:
The bottom line has been fattened by savings made from cost cutting measures...beyond that, KK has no growth potential....right time to exit the counter, and await for Q1 results

Got a good point there

You two need to know the company!

To start with, you won't get Q1 results.

Secondly, there is alot of room for more cost cutting and increase in sales emanating from lower fuel prices.

Let's talk at 1H15 ...
Aguytrying
#46 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:24:48 PM

Looking at that supply demand. This one is going to sub 9.00 very very soon. Not a bad thing for buyers....
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
mlennyma
#47 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:32:52 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
Looking at that supply demand. This one is going to sub 9.00 very very soon. Not a bad thing for buyers....

true senior counsel,lots of sellers as always that old man could be a seller
Aguytrying
#48 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:39:13 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

true senior counsel,lots of sellers as always that old man could be a seller

True, the ones whose name shall not be mentioned. Aharakishe kazi indelee. I wouldn't mind a second bite of the cherry before the real upward momentum begins
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
Kausha
#49 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:53:57 PM

There may not be many sellers soon. Remember the majority owners combined are barely above 52% and they would want a controlling block to be able to negotiate a sale.
Realtreaty
#50 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:34:17 PM

D Ohana says his Binoculars are well set for 2015. This AGM will have good tidings. Boat is ready for an adventure
Realtreaty
#51 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:03:08 PM

Kausha
#52 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:10:44 PM

To all the accountants, why did KK pay the kshs 495m taxation despite sitting with 2.2Billion deferred tax asset. I am still scratching my head. Is it to say that the subsidiaries generate that much profit to the point of paying that much tax.

@VVS the decline is other income is because they didn't sold less property in 2014 Kshs 260m compared to the Kshs 880m in 2013.
TheGeek
#53 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:53:44 PM

Weh,
I think this by far is the biggest bus in wazua investor page led by realtreaty the eternal optimist.
All metrics of those results have been analyzed to fine detail.
Now I will just post a chart here shortly so cartoonists can polish off.

In the world of securities, courage and patience become the supreme virtues after adequate knowledge and a tested judgment are at hand.
VituVingiSana
#54 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:50:58 AM

Kausha wrote:
To all the accountants, why did KK pay the kshs 495m taxation despite sitting with 2.2Billion deferred tax asset. I am still scratching my head. Is it to say that the subsidiaries generate that much profit to the point of paying that much tax.

@VVS the decline is other income is because they didn't sold less property in 2014 Kshs 260m compared to the Kshs 880m in 2013.

Where does the balance of Other Income come from? It's significant and they should break it down further e.g. rents, etc
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
VituVingiSana
#55 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 1:57:00 AM

Kausha wrote:

1) In whose books (e.g. KK Kenya, KK Tanzania, etc) are the deferred tax assets?
2) Which subsidiaries make a profit? The parent cannot pass on losses to a subsidiary and vice versa so sadly the profitable entity (e.g. Rwanda) pays taxes while a group member (e.g. Tanzania) is making losses.
3) Kenya had lots of losses (hedges) which may not be recoverable in the near future and the deferred tax asset might be written off. Let's hope Kenya makes some huge profits in 2015 to offset the Tax Deferred Asset before it expires.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Kausha
#56 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 5:59:36 AM

@vvs the defferred tax asset is on the group's balance sheet. The group is a legal entity in kenya. All profits belong to the group with kenya making most. The question, why the deferred tax movement is negligible.
VituVingiSana
#57 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 7:45:29 AM

Kausha wrote:
@vvs the defferred tax asset is on the group's balance sheet. The group is a legal entity in kenya. All profits belong to the group with kenya making most. The question, why the deferred tax movement is negligible.

The 'group' = Kenya which owns the subsidiaries.

KenolKobil Limited is the 'Company' and owns the subsidiaries. The Company is a legal entity.The 'group' is not a legal entity but is comprised of the Parent aka Company and all its subsidiaries & associates. One cannot sue the 'group' but all or individual entities within/comprising the 'group'...

http://www.kenolkobil.co...DOWNLOADS/kk%202013.pdf (Page 59).

The traded shares are of KobilKenya Ltd (the 'Company') which also happens to be a trading/operating entity (not just a Holding entity like I&M Holdings).

Look at Pages 20 (Consolidated which is the Group) & 21 (Company which relates to the Kenyan entity without the subsidiaries). Please note that most of the Tax Deferred Asset(s) belong to the Kenyan entity.

Page 52. Compare Group vs Company. The primary reason for the increase is due to the severe losses made in 2012 which allowed for a 'Tax Credit' but since KRA doesn't refund Tax Credits arising from operating/business losses), the firm carries it as a Deferred Tax Asset hopefully offset by Taxable Profits in future years. I do not know how far into the future a firm can carry the Tax Deferred Assets. Essentially, a firm can lose the 'asset' and a prudent analyst will exclude the asset unless there is a good chance of it being used.

Page 46. This shows how the Tax Deferred Asset came about i.e. the huge Loss in 2012 x 30% Tax Rate.

Subsidiaries:
Kobil Petroleum Ltd
Kobil Uganda Limited
Kobil Tanzania Limited
Kobil Zambia Limited
Kobil Rwanda SARL
Kobil Petroleum Rwanda Limited
Kobil Ethiopia Limited
Kobil Burundi SA
Kobil Mozambique

Until we get the Annual Report for 2014:

1) We cannot be sure what the share of profit belongs to KK-Kenya vs the individual subsidiaries.
2) In addition, some profits (285mn Note 10 - 2013) e.g. profits from properties sold would not be taxable in 2014. BTW, there are some expenses that are NOT eligible/deductible (83mn Note 10 - 2013) as expenses for tax purposes.
3) The life of the Carried-forward Tax Loss aka Tax Deferred Asset. I do not know the rules/regulations. If KK plays it (very carefully) smart, it could use transfer pricing to transfer profits to the Kenyan entity.
4) The DTC has DECREASED to 2.2bn (2014) from 2.6bn (2013). That's not negligible. And roughly the same amount as the Income Tax Expense assuming most profits (& tax payable) was from KK- Kenya.
5) KK - Kenya would need to make approximately 7bn in PBT (from operations) to use up the DTC. Sadly, that's a long way to go.
6) My gut tells me TZ contributes to the losses too. And if KK sells the assets at a loss then that DTC is worth zero to KK.
7) I am unable to (fully) reconcile Income Tax Paid as shown in the Cashflow Statement vs the Income Tax Expense or movements in DTC.

I hope the above helps.
mwenza
#58 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:01:04 AM

Aguytrying wrote:
what's a results release without a prediction.
Is there any reason Kk shouldn't zoom to 12.00 today due to excitement before normalizing.

Sliding back to its comfort zone....
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
mlennyma
#59 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:17:59 AM

mwenza wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
Is there any reason Kk shouldn't zoom to 12.00 today due to excitement before normalizing.

sell orders heart breaking, come 8 come
Aguytrying
#60 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 11:24:08 AM

mlennyma wrote:
mwenza wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:

sell orders heart breaking, come 8 come

No worry, soon this supply will come to an end. esp when the company starts hitting 1.00eps. ie 1.5 PAT.