wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Facebook money platform threat to mpesa
derick
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:34:17 PM

Facebook has launched a money transfer platform. Do you guys think that could be the death of mpesa?

Facebook lets you send money instantly to friends through the Messenger app - http://www.standardmedia...e/?articleID=2000155234 via @StandardKenya
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
murchr
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:37:38 PM

Is your shushu on Facebook?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
derick
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2015 11:49:24 PM

murchr wrote:

Look at this way, Facebook is accessible by all networks.it doesn't matter kama unatumia airtel, orange,or even from a PC.
murchr
#4 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 12:27:34 AM

derick wrote:
murchr wrote:

Look at this way, Facebook is accessible by all networks.it doesn't matter kama unatumia airtel, orange,or even from a PC.

Will your shushu sign up on Fb just to send/receive money?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
S.Mutaga III
#5 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 12:33:08 AM

We can only wait and see how it will operate, especially how to withdraw the money and deposit it. If one can only withdraw and deposit through banks, then it will not rival M-Pesa but will instead eat into the market share of Paypal and Skrill Moneybookers et al
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Boris Boyka
#6 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 3:17:07 PM

murchr wrote:
derick wrote:
murchr wrote:

Such a thing??? @derick mpesa will die when safcom dies....i don't see that in this century.
MPESA ni baba na mama kama KANU.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
derick
#7 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 3:36:00 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
murchr wrote:
derick wrote:
murchr wrote:

Such a thing??? @derick mpesa will die when safcom dies....i don't see that in this century.
MPESA ni baba na mama kama KANU.

@Boris na ona uko safcom damu
Lolest!
#8 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 3:52:19 PM

interesting

Tangaza money is still alive?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
nakujua
#9 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 9:35:30 PM

safaricom will not be around in the next 10 years
derick
#10 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 11:34:50 PM

nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.
Caveman
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:55:21 AM

derick wrote:
Facebook has launched a money transfer platform. Do you guys think that could be the death of mpesa?

Facebook lets you send money instantly to friends through the Messenger app - http://www.standardmedia...e/?articleID=2000155234 via @StandardKenya

Sorry, this one will not 'catch' in Kenya
Lolest!
#12 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:46:27 AM

derick wrote:
nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.

lol. how will this happen? At the moment safcom is the main co for talk time, data bundles and money transfer/payments

You will see an mpesa shop wherever you go in Kenya.
nakujua
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:02:52 PM

Lolest! wrote:
derick wrote:
nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.

lol. how will this happen? At the moment safcom is the main co for talk time, data bundles and money transfer/payments

you know some years back there were phone booths wherever you went in kenya, i have seen a good number of 50+ year olds on whatsup, and in 10 years time people will be wondering how on earth data bundles used to work.
as for mpesa, wewe ngoja utaona.
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:50:37 PM

nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
derick wrote:
nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.

you know some years back there were phone booths wherever you went in kenya, i have seen a good number of 50+ year olds on whatsup, and in 10 years time people will be wondering how on earth data bundles used to work.

those guys on whatsapp are accessing through??

Safcom will die when you first beat them on voice/sms. Then mpesa/paybill option
innairobi
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 1:58:48 PM

Some services will become obsolete in the coming years but Mpesa is not one of them. What could change is how the service is deployed. Safaricom will still be in existence in 20 years time as long as it can adapt quickly to changing market conditions. A key advantage for ICT companies is the ability to play in a diverse range of sectors. Safaricom can become Kenya's Samsung. Utanunua Safaricom bread in 2030 lol
All my friends are heathens, take it slow. Wait for them to ask you who you know. Please don't make any sudden moves.
ngapat
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:45:34 PM

Mpesa might stay but mpesa agents will lose customers and move out of business.
A while back simu ya jamii was a very profitable venture. Today you hardly find any.
Right now kenya is trying to move to a cashless payment society and this will affect the mpesa agents business. Most people visit mpesa agents to deposit and withdraw.
In a cashless society, there will be minimal withdraws since you use the money while still in mpesa and so agents will lose withdrawal customers.
On deposits, the mobile banking platform allows customers to deposit money to their mpesa without visiting agents, here again, the agents will lose depositors.
Since people visit mpesa agents to deposit and withdraw, that means there will reduced transactions for agents which will lower their commissions.
Safaricom will end up being the winner here as it will not have to share money with the agents who are paid on commissions for the number of transactions made.

I see safaricom being fought hard by banks for taking away their deposits and the public since it will not be creating jobs for them anymore.
The success of Mpesa can hugely be attributed to a wide agency network due to the profits agents make.
If agents cant make profits any more, they will close shops and mpesa woes will start there.
“Invest in yourself. Your career is the engine of your wealth.”
murchr
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 9:46:56 PM

ngapat wrote:
A while back simu ya jamii was a very profitable venture. Today you hardly find any.
Right now kenya is trying to move to a cashless payment society and this will affect the mpesa agents business. Most people visit mpesa agents to deposit and withdraw.
In a cashless society, there will be minimal withdraws since you use the money while still in mpesa and so agents will lose withdrawal customers.
On deposits, the mobile banking platform allows customers to deposit money to their mpesa without visiting agents, here again, the agents will lose depositors.
Since people visit mpesa agents to deposit and withdraw, that means there will reduced transactions for agents which will lower their commissions.
Safaricom will end up being the winner here as it will not have to share money with the agents who are paid on commissions for the number of transactions made.

I see safaricom being fought hard by banks for taking away their deposits and the public since it will not be creating jobs for them anymore.
The success of Mpesa can hugely be attributed to a wide agency network due to the profits agents make.
If agents cant make profits any more, they will close shops and mpesa woes will start there.

They tried and failed miserably when MPESA was introduced. Any bank trying to fight Safaricom will go down. No one wants to queue in banking halls anymore. As long as a deposit can be made from wherever over the phone, and at anytime then the banking hall becomes irrelevant. If i can make a payment just by pressing buttons on my phone then why should I bother going to the bank? In the first world, they have started using the phone to scan bank checks and make payments using apps

The smart ones like KCB Equity & CBA have realized this and are adapting.

The future is DATA. Right now Safcom knows so much about you as an individual. For example, where you live, where you bank, what webpages do you visit online, how much money do you spend on paying bills paying for transport, paying for parking if you drive, where do you shop, and simple stuff like are you connected to the grid or do you use Solar. All this data is/will be very important in predictive analytics when it comes to your spending behavior.
alma
#18 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 9:54:55 PM

murchr wrote:
ngapat wrote:

They tried and failed miserably when MPESA was introduced. Any bank trying to fight Safaricom will go down. No one wants to queue in banking halls anymore. As long as a deposit can be made from wherever over the phone, and at anytime then the banking hall becomes irrelevant. If i can make a payment just by pressing buttons on my phone then why should I bother going to the bank? In the first world, they have started using the phone to scan bank checks and make payments using apps

The smart ones like KCB Equity & CBA have realized this and are adapting.

The future is DATA. Right now Safcom knows so much about you as an individual. For example, where you live, where you bank, what webpages do you visit online, how much money do you spend on paying bills paying for transport, paying for parking if you drive, where do you shop, and simple stuff like are you connected to the grid or do you use Solar. All this data is/will be very important in predictive analytics when it comes to your spending behavior.

ditto
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
nakujua
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 12:14:33 AM

Lolest! wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
derick wrote:
nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.

Safcom will die when you first beat them on voice/sms. Then mpesa/paybill option

Hapo sawa, hope we will still be around in ten years time, but remember what beats you is what you do not see - the assassin does not have and will most probaly not be local.
Wacha whatsup and family waweke voice.
Lolest!
#20 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 9:01:01 AM

nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
derick wrote:
nakujua wrote:

I fully agree with you.

Hapo sawa, hope we will still be around in ten years time, but remember what beats you is what you do not see - the assassin does not have and will most probaly not be local.
Wacha whatsup and family waweke voice.

technology changes stuff, fast

whatsapp in its current form wont lead to death of telcos. Usage of those services is a win-win for the 2

Let's see how it turns out in 10 years if God keeps us alive