wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

15 Pages<1234>»
Future of Safaricom - break up due to dominance!
jerry
#21 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 7:37:11 PM

KondooEconomist wrote:
I'm confused, are they rolling out a network infrastructure à la Bamba, ADN?

What's Bamba and what's it's coverage?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Rankaz13
#22 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 8:12:47 PM

GGK wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
Na hii EPL inasumbua watu sana eh? For the longest time I've always told those who want a cheaper alternative to the dstvs of this world to get themselves beIN sports subscription. Just two months dstv sub is sufficient to pay for a full year of beIN subs. Nini ingine mnataka?

Hii beIN napatikana wapi?
If they get pay-per-view (PPV) or video-on-demand for LIVE events, we are good to go.
Am seeing Kenya going places in TV broadcast

The original question on dominance.... being dominant is no crime. Issues arise when the dominant player uses his dominance to annihilate the competition

http://www.en.beinsports.net/
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
iris
#23 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 8:45:30 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
bkismat wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
bird_man wrote:
Little birdie says THE BOX to be launched next week.
Android setup box,can record,can broadcast wifi,net from sim card,can receive kawaida FTA channels...friendly prices.

I cant wait. this shafting by DSTV and Internet companies has gone on long enough. Fingers crossed it has EPL

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly EPL??

Na hii EPL inasumbua watu sana eh? For the longest time I've always told those who want a cheaper alternative to the dstvs of this world to get themselves beIN sports subscription. Just two months dstv sub is sufficient to pay for a full year of beIN subs. Nini ingine mnataka?

Yes for only 1,250 per month you will watch all the sports you want EPL f1 moto gp cricket ..... The only downside is some of the commentary is in Arabic

Whats the value proposition of a safcom settop box to me? I already have Zuku triple play with a wifi router and I get 10mb.
I however hope the safcom TV reception will not be subject to the weather like dstv-what happened to their project of running cables to homes instead of satellite?
But I honestly think safcom diversification/dominance needs to be checked. Otherwise their CEO will be more powerful than pork.

I would really like to understand why we Kenyans are so uncomfortable with success. Safaricom comes in at only 26th largest company in Africa and yet Matiang'i, @Gordon Gekko, etc, are busy raising an outcry for growth to be checked. We must only be one of a very few nations that want to pull their stars down to mediocrity, instead of cheering them to greater success. We should challenge those complaining to become more innovative and also grow so that we have many large companies instead. I recall feeling somewhat unhappy when Africa Online got sold and since then, we have many ISPs here but none of the dominant ones are Kenyan. We also complain a lot when SA companies mistreat us but we are content to let them dominate while at the same time attempting to keep ours down.
People, let's encourage our big companies to grow bigger.

africas-top-250-companies
Gordon Gekko
#24 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:30:31 PM

@iris, I have no grudge against success. I have a major problem with monopolistic control over critical sectors, worse, control over several critical sectors. If safcom, which today can shut down Kenya's financial sector takes control of the security sector (which it will at the conclusion of the cops project), we will have sold ourselves to vodacom.
There's a reason why we have a competition authority in Kenya, there's a reason why Bell Telephones in the US was broken up, there's a reason why there are active plans to breakup Google. There's also a reason why any political leader ensures that he fully controls the financial, information and security arms of government.
1masha
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 4:46:52 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
GGK wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:

Hii beIN napatikana wapi?
If they get pay-per-view (PPV) or video-on-demand for LIVE events, we are good to go.
Am seeing Kenya going places in TV broadcast

The original question on dominance.... being dominant is no crime. Issues arise when the dominant player uses his dominance to annihilate the competition

http://www.en.beinsports.net/

BeIN inapatikana hapa na imeelezewa hapa pengine
Good judgement is often the result of experience. Experience is often the result of bad judgement.
GGK
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 7:16:06 PM

Sawa, wacha I get a few coins and I will be beINed
Thanks for info
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
mazingira
#27 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 10:41:45 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
@iris, I have no grudge against success. I have a major problem with monopolistic control over critical sectors, worse, control over several critical sectors. If safcom, which today can shut down Kenya's financial sector takes control of the security sector (which it will at the conclusion of the cops project), we will have sold ourselves to vodacom.
There's a reason why we have a competition authority in Kenya, there's a reason why Bell Telephones in the US was broken up, there's a reason why there are active plans to breakup Google. There's also a reason why any political leader ensures that he fully controls the financial, information and security arms of government.

What about government monoploies like KPLC fleecing the public at least safcom is run well KPLC service sucks and we pay silly money to kplc
murchr
#28 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 6:58:52 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Safaricom is nowhere near what Bell systems was...eish! Google will not be broken, not in today's corporate World. More and more companies are consolidating SABMiller, the world’s second-largest brewer, is being taken over by its bigger rival, AB InBev if the merger is completed, half the profits of the worlds beer market will be held by this company.

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#29 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:04:49 PM

Reuters wrote:
Safaricom dominates the Kenyan mobile market, sweeping up more than 90 per cent of revenues in areas such as voice calls and text messaging, according to regulator data that could further fuel a debate about competition in the industry.

Rivals like Bharti Airtel and some officials have complained that Safaricom's dominance stifles competition. France's Orange is seeking to sell its Kenya operation, becoming the second international operator to quit the country after India's Essar Telecoms sold its Yu business last year.

The data obtained by Reuters comes as the East African nation is amending the telecom sector's competition law to give the regulator more powers to penalise companies deemed to be abusing dominant positions in the industry, though what would constitute such abuse is as yet unclear.

Safaricom, in which Britain's Vodafone has a 40-per cent stake, has dismissed accusations it hampers competition, saying it does not abuse its dominance.

Safaricom's revenues from calls amounted to a 91.63 per cent market share in 2014, while its closest competitor, Airtel, had 8.33 per cent, according to the data obtained from the Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK).

In text or short messaging services, Safaricom had more than a 90-per cent share of total market revenues from that segment, the regulator said.

In mobile data, or internet services, Safaricom's revenues were 85.50 per cent of the market share in 2014, while Airtel had 14.43 per cent, Orange had 0.01 per cent and Equitel, operated by Equity Bank's subsidiary Finserve, 0.06 per cent.

The figures for Orange are for 2013 as it had not submitted audited accounts for 2014 to the regulator, CAK said.

The regulator usually issues quarterly figures for number of subscribers, which give Safaricom a 67 per cent share of Kenya's 35 million users in June. It also gives traffic volumes for areas such as calls.

Asked about the regulator's revenue breakdown, Safaricom Chief Executive Bob Collymore told Reuters: "We don't recognise that data." He said subscriber numbers and network traffic were a better gauge of how the firm was performing.

M-Pesa

The data did not detail revenue from phone financial services, where Safaricom's M-Pesa service is the most popular offering, allowing users to pay bills or send money even using the most simple mobile phone device.

Analysts say this service draws customers to use Safaricom's wider telecoms services over its rivals.

Eric Musau, analyst at Standard Investment Bank, said the dominance of a single operator was hurting competition by driving out rivals like Essar and Orange.

He said, however, that some smaller operators were failing due to inadequate capital, frequent shareholding changes and a lack of a sound strategy for the local market. "I would say one player had a better strategy than the rest," he added.

CAK said in August that it was amending the telecom sector's competition law, but said it was not targeting Safaricom or any other company. It did not aim to penalise any company just for being dominant, but only if there was abuse of its position in the market.

The regulator's head, Francis Wangusi, said at the time the new regulations would break down the telecoms sectors into segments including mobile and fixed voice, data, text messaging and mobile money transfer services.

"It is too early for us to come up to say 'Safaricom you are dominant', because Safaricom can be dominant in certain markets, but not dominant in others," he said. "In all these markets, we would not apply the same rules," he added.

Safaricom has opposed the proposed changes saying they could deter investments by targeting large firms.

Airtel Kenya CEO Adil El Youseffi said the current market situation was limiting innovation and consumer choice and driving operators out of the country. "The sector is unable to attract new or incremental investments from other international players," he told Reuters.

Orange Kenya gave no specific comment on the figures.

- See more at: http://www.the-star.co.k...ort#sthash.AQJVHvHQ.dpuf
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#30 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 7:45:11 PM

I don't like monopolies but Airtel is disingenuous.

While crying about Safaricom, Airtel charges incoming termination fees of 20/- per minute while Safaricom charges 10/-. This is the same Airtel that wants Safcom to lower their (local) call termination charges.

Airtel (in markets which it dominates) is pushing for laws repealing Net Neutrality so they can throttle services like WhatsApp & FaceTime.

Safaricom should not abuse its dominance to make supernormal profits [Safaricom has done just that] and needs competition but I do not think Airtel or Orange are the ones to break their dominance.

M-Pesa: Safaricom pushed Vodafone for this service/tech. And have benefitted from it. As they should. They took the risk. If Kenyans like M-Pesa over other alternatives, so be it. What I do not like is Safaricom trying to throttle competitors eg Airtel by using monopolistic & legal means eg the fights against ThinSIMs and the huge increase in bank to Safaricom charges to counter Equitel.

I want all the firms to compete on a fair footing without favor from the authorities. The beneficiaries will be Kenyans if the fight is fair. Not all firms will win but Kenyans will win.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Gathige
#31 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 4:27:54 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Nowadays Governments rarely control anything but have regulatory institutions to monitor. From private prisons to private security agencies Governments now use commercial entities as a front for under cover espionage missions.. Think Huawei and its ban from participating in Government contracts abroad for fear of being used a a front by Beijing.

Safcom is tooo small to be considered a monopoly. Breaking it will only hurt the consumer as the over players are merely jokers. Airtel has been around for just too long without nothing to show for it. Orange sufers from inheriting a company witha bad name and it seem not likely turn around soon.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
iris
#32 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:36:41 PM

Gathige wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:

Nowadays Governments rarely control anything but have regulatory institutions to monitor. From private prisons to private security agencies Governments now use commercial entities as a front for under cover espionage missions.. Think Huawei and its ban from participating in Government contracts abroad for fear of being used a a front by Beijing.

Safcom is tooo small to be considered a monopoly. Breaking it will only hurt the consumer as the over players are merely jokers. Airtel has been around for just too long without nothing to show for it. Orange sufers from inheriting a company witha bad name and it seem not likely turn around soon.

A lot of those saying Safaricom is abusing its dominance are hard-pressed to quote specifics (just like Airtel), most likely because it is not as obvious as they would have us believe. @vvs mentions supernormal profits, Thin SIMs and increase in bank charges. Now when did being really profitable become an abuse? As someone said earlier, Equity was growing over 100% for several years. High bank charges can be fought by innovation -- no doubt equity played a part in the demise of Barclays as a superbrand in Kenya by doing things differently. Companies always try to earn more money and should only be stopped by competition, not legislation unless of course they "abuse" their dominance, which in the case of Safaricom is proving a little too pesky to define. The Thin SIM business is a little bit reminiscent of what is happening with 4G -- instead of the gava building the infrastructure like Rwanda did, they have left it to Safaricom to do the building, and when Safaricom starts charging for use of its infrastructure, there will be all sorts of noises.
Check this from Airtel boss:
“It is common sense that Safaricom needs to be split,” Airtel’s chief executive Adil El Youssefi told a Senate committee in July. “Let M-Pesa be a national platform that is independent, for the mobile user to freely choose their mobile network.” Link
My old prof used to call this waffling.
VituVingiSana
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:13:30 PM

@iris - Safaricom benefited immensely from restrictions in allowing other players into the market. Safaricom's license was given to them courtesy of Telkom Kenya. Not many know this but there were only 2 mobile GSM licenses to start with.

Vivendi/Merali (KenCell) got one. Why do you think that happened?
Telkom got the other but when Safaricom was spun off an entity called Mobitelea became a 20% shareholder.
A 3rd licensee (Strive Masiyiwa) Econet was frustrated during the initial formative years until after Safaricom was already entrenched in the market.
The 4th license was given to Telkom but it was a convoluted process. An entity called Alcatraz had their fingers in this pie too.

Therefore, Safaricom had a chance to make super-normal profits since there were only 2 licensees. This does NOT mean KenCell/CelTel/Zain/Airtel did not screw up.

3-4 players from the beginning would have been better but the powers-that-be had their fingers in both KenCell & Safaricom hence the delays in licensing another entrant.

ThinSIM [Just a dual SIM but much thinner] - Safaricom did everything they could to stop/delay the process. It took Equity one year to get it into Kenyans' hands. Only Safaricom (not Airtel or Orange) really opposed this. The investment was all by Equity so what parallels are you drawing with Safaricom & 4G? [It doesn't use Safaricom's network for data or voice].

The increase by 300% in charges for bank to/from M-Pesa just after Equity launched Equitel seems suspicious. What's your take?
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
watesh
#34 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 8:10:13 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
@iris - Safaricom benefited immensely from restrictions in allowing other players into the market. Safaricom's license was given to them courtesy of Telkom Kenya. Not many know this but there were only 2 mobile GSM licenses to start with.

Telkom got the other but when Safaricom was spun off an entity called Mobitelea became a 20% shareholder.
A 3rd licensee (Strive Masiyiwa) Econet was frustrated during the initial formative years until after Safaricom was already entrenched in the market.
The 4th license was given to Telkom but it was a convoluted process. An entity called Alcatraz had their fingers in this pie too.

Therefore, Safaricom had a chance to make super-normal profits since there were only 2 licensees. This does NOT mean KenCell/CelTel/Zain/Airtel did not screw up.

3-4 players from the beginning would have been better but the powers-that-be had their fingers in both KenCell & Safaricom hence the delays in licensing another entrant.

ThinSIM [Just a dual SIM but much thinner] - Safaricom did everything they could to stop/delay the process. It took Equity one year to get it into Kenyans' hands. Only Safaricom (not Airtel or Orange) really opposed this. The investment was all by Equity so what parallels are you drawing with Safaricom & 4G? [It doesn't use Safaricom's network for data or voice].

The increase by 300% in charges for bank to/from M-Pesa just after Equity launched Equitel seems suspicious. What's your take?

Its just business, every business person would do almost anything to protect their billions.
mazingira
#35 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 12:03:57 PM

Safcom is not in a monopolized industry but more an Olygopoly , a state where there are limited producers and sellers . The difference here is that Safcoms brand loyalty , innovation and dominance has become one that is so strong that it cash withstand the strongest of storms and wipe out competition by loosing on products just to wipe out the competition. Smart and fair in business its a dog eat dog world out their and only the fittest survive .
Mwalimu
#36 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 5:21:43 PM

Kencell messed us. It was the stronger company as compared to safcom but they were not innovative.
Boris Boyka
#37 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 7:41:38 PM

Mwalimu wrote:
Kencell messed us. It was the stronger company as compared to safcom but they were not innovative.

I have liked how Kencell/celtell/zain/Airtel are baby crying. This company was a favourite and became big headed just like Barclay's bank. It (zain) refused to lower calling rates, maintained high value scratch cards, delayed to have money transfer platform, stchupidly avoided rolling out competitive data services so as to remain "classy", classy my foot. Safaricom on the other hand juust like equity understood the game of numbers and sucked in wanjiku at their level of products. Safaricom has been so innovative and thinks of future while Airtel is a lazy hyena waiting safari com's arm to fall instead of hunting by itself.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
watesh
#38 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:25:39 PM

Boris Boyka wrote:
Mwalimu wrote:

I have liked how Kencell/celtell/zain/Airtel are baby crying. This company was a favourite and became big headed just like Barclay's bank. It (zain) refused to lower calling rates, maintained high value scratch cards, delayed to have money transfer platform, stchupidly avoided rolling out competitive data services so as to remain "classy", classy my foot. Safaricom on the other hand juust like equity understood the game of numbers and sucked in wanjiku at their level of products. Safaricom has been so innovative and thinks of future while Airtel is a lazy hyena waiting safari com's arm to fall instead of hunting by itself.

Hahahaha pewa beer moja....
Boris Boyka
#39 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:50:07 PM

watesh wrote:
Boris Boyka wrote:
Mwalimu wrote:

Hahahaha pewa beer moja....

Going for Famous Groose now!Drool Drool
Cheers Bro.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
iris
#40 Posted : Tuesday, October 20, 2015 4:37:46 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:

@vvs, first let me own up to not knowing as much history about GSM in Kenya as you seem to, and so I will avoid saying much on the historical injustices bit. For a start, it is very clear to me why Safaricom would have been the one to make noise; it carries the most money traffic and Mpesa is one of its key revenue streams and its strongest brand, while the others have negligible revenue from similar services.
The parallels I was drawing stems from Equity's desire to ride on Safaricom's services (they may not be strictly called "infrastructure", but they are nevertheless what Safaricom's value is derived from). Why do you think Equity was so focussed on Thin SIM? They have kept saying that it is because they want to ease the burden on the ordinary Kenyan, but it is not difficult to see that their reasoning probably goes thus:
Since they cannot replicate all the services that people get from Safaricom SIM, it is much harder to convince people to move to their SIM even with more favourable money services rates, than offer their services as incremental to Safaricom's by having customers do all the stuff they need to do with Safaricom as well as the additional (and cheaper) Equitel money service.
Wouldn't you agree that this is a form of riding on another's investment? Note that I am not saying this "wrong" for it is likely the pragmatic thing, but I am saying Equity is not the angel and Safaricom the devil. The parallel is that if those services that make competitors' SIMs attractive were common property, then fairness would reign..

And although most people dismiss Safaricom's concerns on security as baseless, from a strictly technical point of view, I have my reservations. IT techies here may know of the Gevey Thin SIM which has been around for years (in Kenya too) and used to open "Locked" iPhones. It is actually a hardware man-in-the-middle (MITM) device that defeats the Telco's protection and allows the iPhone to be used on any Telco. This is exactly the same technology as our much celebrated Equitel Thin SIM and also made by Chinese. Does anyone wonder why we are supposed to be the first country to adopt this technology that has been around for over 10 years? I vaguely remember reading somewhere the defence given by Taisys on security: something like there was no software in existence to exploit theoretical possibilities. There are people out there like Mark Russinovich who if they have motivation would have such software in no time. For a time, this gentleman taunted Microsoft by publicly sharing hidden processes and flaws that MS was hiding until he (and his software Winternals) was acquired by MS and made into a top dog. While MS thought they had proprietary system, Russinovich saw an open system to play with.

And best of all, why is Huawei banned from several countries? Electronic spying fears. But here in Kenya, we give the Chinese official testbed (and access to money..).
Check these: Black Hat Article and GSMA

I have no idea how this will pan out but I get a sneaking feeling that already Equity is having second thoughts on how to advance this (or perhaps technical challenges?). Why aren't they making more noises on winning the war and advertising seriously? Why is the thin SIM costing more than normal SIM?
Oh oh, this is too long but you asked for it smile