wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<34567>
Kenya Power HY 2015 PBT up 53%
guru267
#81 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 6:44:41 AM

murchr wrote:
Business Daily wrote:
Electricity distributor Kenya Power plans to extend its fibre optic cable connections to cover all counties as it seeks to quadruple its earnings from the new revenue stream to Sh1 billion by the end of next year.

Why do these reporters keep referring publicly traded companies as "State Owned"???

If GOK owns more than 50% it is state owned... pretty simple!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
MaichBlack
#82 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:34:06 AM

Link: Yet more reasons to #StayInvested
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
murchr
#83 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 2:34:22 PM

guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
Business Daily wrote:
Electricity distributor Kenya Power plans to extend its fibre optic cable connections to cover all counties as it seeks to quadruple its earnings from the new revenue stream to Sh1 billion by the end of next year.

Why do these reporters keep referring publicly traded companies as "State Owned"???

State owned vs state sponsored....They say the same thing for KQ. What say you of Fannie Mae?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
guru267
#84 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:15:34 PM

murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
Business Daily wrote:

State owned vs state sponsored....They say the same thing for KQ. What say you of Fannie Mae?

Its very simple... If GOK owns more than 50% it's state owned..

KQ and KCB are not state owned but Kenya re, Kenya Power and Kengen are state owned!
Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
sparkly
#85 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 7:07:29 PM

guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
Business Daily wrote:

KQ and KCB are not state owned but Kenya re, Kenya Power and Kengen are state owned!

Maybe you mean Majority owned by State.
Life is short. Live passionately.
sparkly
#86 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 7:10:09 PM

The majority of the exiting managers had been asked to apply afresh for the fewer top jobs that were left after the restructuring, but were not successful.

“The new positions were advertised internally and externally so we can promote staff with potential and also bring in new blood,” said Dr Chumo, adding that Kenya Power is moving to a leaner organisational structure that involves the merger of some management functions.

I don't see the reason to fire when expanding. This is a ploy to replace "certain people" with "certain people"
Life is short. Live passionately.
VituVingiSana
#87 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2015 8:29:50 AM

And has KPLC accounted for the non-collectible receivables?
How bad are these OVERDUE Bills?
Many of those who have not paid have probably accumulated these over many months. And these amounts e.g. an estimated 1bn for Mumias cannot be collected thus requiring a write-off.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
murchr
#88 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 5:53:25 PM

jerry
#89 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 6:46:34 PM

sparkly wrote:
guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
guru267 wrote:
murchr wrote:
Business Daily wrote:

Maybe you mean Majority owned by State.

Parastatal?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
MoneyMonger
#90 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 6:19:18 PM

KPLC is having problems with unpaid bills from consumers and now rethinking the pre-paid system, which was supposed to actually remedy the situation. Does anyone have the distribution of how old these bills are? The unpaid bills were about 9 billion in 2013 and 14 billion in 2014 which is worrying.

"Of its 3.17 million customers, 2.9 million are domestic consumers (91 per cent of total consumers). Of these, 1.6 million are on the postpaid metering system while 925,000 are on the pre-paid metering system.

In March, the company made Sh2.8 billion from post-paid customers, who cumulatively consumed 160,558 GigaWatt hours (GWhrs) of electricity. From prepaid customers — who cumulatively consumed 40,047 GWhrs — it made Sh0.7 billion.

Using March figures, this would mean one post-paid domestic customer consumed 12 GWhrs of electricity and on average paid Sh1,432. And each prepaid customer consumed an average 23 GWhrs and paid roughly Sh756 to the power company."

Link

There is nothing as dangerous as an Idea, when there is only one Idea
Cde Monomotapa
#91 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 7:39:18 PM

A paradox indeed, the pre-paid meters. As much as retail consumers are the majority, industrial users are the bulk payers. I thought this would be great for them?

The issue of unpaid bills is real, those figures seem bigger than energy lost on transmission! Stima mwitu is rampant too and I think is the main cause of slum fires. I guess the trick to that, can't remember the Op. name, needs to be relooked as well.

37Mn Kenyans to go to...or is it 100s billions of Africans in need of electricity.

As I write this lights are just flickering on and off smile Slight rain... A lot of ground to be covered.
mlennyma
#92 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 9:50:51 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
A paradox indeed, the pre-paid meters. As much as retail consumers are the majority, industrial users are the bulk payers. I thought this would be great for them?

The issue of unpaid bills is real, those figures seem bigger than energy lost on transmission! Stima mwitu is rampant too and I think is the main cause of slum fires. I guess the trick to that, can't remember the Op. name, needs to be relooked as well.

37Mn Kenyans to go to...or is it 100s billions of Africans in need of electricity.

As I write this lights are just flickering on and off smile Slight rain... A lot of ground to be covered.

efficiency in kplc is more like gvt than a private company,thats why power theft and bribery for services are like legal acts.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
MoneyMonger
#93 Posted : Sunday, April 26, 2015 11:44:02 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

efficiency in kplc is more like gvt than a private company,thats why power theft and bribery for services are like legal acts.

A paradox indeed. I have not been going through KPLC financial reports, I wonder how much allowance for non-perfoming bills they put therein and by extension how we should intepret their profit figures. I can see that QVituVingiSana had similar concerns.
There is nothing as dangerous as an Idea, when there is only one Idea
Kastone
#94 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:17:10 PM

KP doing a great job to curb theft. They're erecting the street lights next to live wires on the concrete poles
“The beauty of success is that it doesn’t matter how many times you have failed, you only have to be right once and then everyone can tell you how lucky you are.” - Mark Cuban
VituVingiSana
#95 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 1:12:11 PM

Kastone wrote:
KP doing a great job to curb theft. They're erecting the street lights next to live wires on the concrete poles

Too bad KPLC isn't (officially) allowed to create live boxes around transformers...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Aguytrying
#96 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 4:13:49 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

My prepaid meter died. I was told i have to part with 2500 otherwise i will wait for a very long time for another one. Thats why i cant invest in this company, Now imagine the corruption that goes on that we cant know about
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
mlennyma
#97 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:09:38 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

My prepaid meter died. I was told i have to part with 2500 otherwise i will wait for a very long time for another one. Thats why i cant invest in this company, Now imagine the corruption that goes on that we cant know about

the company is rotten but survives on monopoly, another telcom kenya.what used to happen in telkom kenya was transferred to kenya power upto today.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Aguytrying
#98 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 5:45:37 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

the company is rotten but survives on monopoly, another telcom kenya.what used to happen in telkom kenya was transferred to kenya power upto today.

They better take note of what happened to telkom. It may happen to them in future
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
watesh
#99 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:20:21 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Aguytrying wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

They better take note of what happened to telkom. It may happen to them in future

The day another power company is let to run am dumping all my stocks! Otherwise, monopoly 37% penetration, more factories and malls setting up, lots of upside
mwekez@ji
#100 Posted : Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:35:44 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
And has KPLC accounted for the non-collectible receivables?
How bad are these OVERDUE Bills?
Many of those who have not paid have probably accumulated these over many months. And these amounts e.g. an estimated 1bn for Mumias cannot be collected thus requiring a write-off.

Nothing to worry. ALL bills outstanding over 30 days are FULLY provided for.