Centonomy Personal Financial Management Course
kiterunner
#41 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 12:09:01 AM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
chiaroscuro wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
There is an outbreak of consultant mania even among corporates. Kila kitu consultant even the things you can do for yourself

But on the other hand, there's money to be made by selling people air

I want to start a consulting firm on how to eat fish

Anza. Getrude Mungai is already there

ANy relation to Mungai K?

No. Huyo ni wetu - @mukiha

Do people actually pay those rates?
our goals are best achieved indirectly
kyt
#42 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 8:54:34 AM

Swenani wrote:
Wa-home wrote:
Dear Wazuans,

Has anyone attended the Personal Financial Management Course offered by Centonomy?
I bumped into some recorded video testimonies of some guys who had attended the course.
The total cost for the 11 weeks course is Kes 33,750 (inclusive of 16% Vat) for the 11 modules plus a registration and booking fee of Kes 1,500.
If you have attended the course , kindly advice if one gets value for money.Your insights will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Wa-home

Ati 33K!!!!!!,The key to financial management is planning and discipline which can never be taught anywhere!

word!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
bird_man
#43 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 10:19:03 AM

I attended yesterday, was my 2nd session.
Being an old time Wazua member I was familiar with most of what they have taught for the last 2 days. We all seem to know what to do to make money or save.....problem is TECHNIQUE.
They teach you simple/everyday ways in which you can save and use the saved amount to invest in compounding revenue streams.Most of us even in Wazua are waiting for that day when you will get 500K or 1M or 2M to invest in your dream project.

Anyway, I will update as I get closer to week 11. I also noticed that 80% of my class are ladies/women, I am not sure why.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Lolest!
#44 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 12:50:20 PM

bird_man wrote:
Being an old time Wazua member I was familiar with most of what they have taught for the last 2 days. We all seem to know what to do to make money or save.....problem is TECHNIQUE.
They teach you simple/everyday ways in which you can save and use the saved amount to invest in compounding revenue streams.Most of us even in Wazua are waiting for that day when you will get 500K or 1M or 2M to invest in your dream project.

Anyway, I will update as I get closer to week 11. I also noticed that 80% of my class are ladies/women, I am not sure why.

they are more serious?

they are more gullible?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Swenani
#45 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 1:09:27 PM

Lolest! wrote:
bird_man wrote:

they are more serious?

they are more gullible?

smile smile smile smile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
bird_man
#46 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 6:15:46 PM

Lolest! wrote:
bird_man wrote:

they are more serious?

they are more gullible?

None of the above.Men are just more wajuaji.
They imagine they have no space left to learn just a little more.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Xymalos
#47 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:02:23 AM

This Centonomy team is doing a great job - trying to provide financial information that guides people towards a financially secure future. Before you harshly judge them, please browse/read through their web site at this --link-- Very impressive.

Also read today's Saturday Daily Nation Magazine page 17 on an informative article titled "Redefine your Idea of retirement" by Centonomy. Let us give credit where its well deserved.
Jodaco
#48 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:14:24 AM

[quote=Xymalos]This Centonomy team is doing a great job - trying to provide financial information that guides people towards a financially secure future. Before you harshly judge them, please browse/read through their web site at this --link-- Very impressive.

Also read today's Saturday Daily Nation Magazine page 17 on an informative article titled "Redefine your Idea of retirement" by Centonomy. Let us give credit where its well deserved.[/quote

They seem to be doing a good job. But the questions are:

1. Are the lecturers well versed in their fields? For example, I'd rather listen to an accomplished real estate investor than a professor of real estate.

2. Are the courses tailored for Kenyans' needs?

3. What's the feedback from those who have completed the course?

nakujua
#49 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 11:15:37 AM

bird_man wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
bird_man wrote:

they are more serious?

they are more gullible?

None of the above.Men are just more wajuaji.
They imagine they have no space left to learn just a little more.

I think it at times comes down to crowd mentality, ladies are more likely to influence their friends and prefer doing things in groups - lakini for majority ya wanaume - the thing has to make sense to them first before trying out, especially when it comes to matters that do not have a tangible effect, those that are more psychological e.g religion and money making classes.
Lolest!
#50 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 1:55:44 PM

Xymalos wrote:
This Centonomy team is doing a great job - trying to provide financial information that guides people towards a financially secure future. Before you harshly judge them, please browse/read through their web site at this --link-- Very impressive.

Also read today's Saturday Daily Nation Magazine page 17 on an informative article titled "Redefine your Idea of retirement" by Centonomy. Let us give credit where its well deserved.

This might sound contradictory but I like reading Waceke's articles

But didnt she once write that she has no fix for anyone's financial issues? You have to chart your future personally depending on your situation!

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Xymalos
#51 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 3:44:55 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

This might sound contradictory but I like reading Waceke's articles

But didnt she once write that she has no fix for anyone's financial issues? You have to chart your future personally depending on your situation!

Financial advisers give actionable information that may lead to financial success - but no guarantee that they can fix anyone's financial issues. I see Waceke and her Centonomy team tying to propagate financial knowledge that is widely taught at a premium by financial experts like Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, Tony Robbins, Jean Chatzky among others. Financial Information that most of us are unaware of or unable to get in an organized manner. Is it fair for Centonomy team to charge a few thousand shillings for a course that is taught by multi millionaires elsewhere at a premium fee?
Xymalos
#52 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 4:33:55 PM

Jodaco wrote:
[quote=Xymalos]This Centonomy team is doing a great job - trying to provide financial information that guides people towards a financially secure future. Before you harshly judge them, please browse/read through their web site at this --link-- Very impressive.

Also read today's Saturday Daily Nation Magazine page 17 on an informative article titled "Redefine your Idea of retirement" by Centonomy. Let us give credit where its well deserved.[/quote

They seem to be doing a good job. But the questions are:

1. Are the lecturers well versed in their fields? For example, I'd rather listen to an accomplished real estate investor than a professor of real estate.

2. Are the courses tailored for Kenyans' needs?

3. What's the feedback from those who have completed the course?

Jodaco a feedback from people who attended the course would be great. However, reading Waceke’s recent articles in newspapers and her blog, the message is tailored for Kenyans needs. For example information on Estate Planning would nudge some of us to write our Wills and last testament to avoid those court battles when one dies; learning about retirement planning and doing something about it early in life etc. It’s nice that Centonomy even have programs tailored for younger generation – college students and recent graduates so they can be financially literate when they start working.
nakujua
#53 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 5:12:02 PM

bird_man wrote:

is what wazua Mwalimu Marty has been teaching comparable
ayushnehra
#54 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 7:22:52 PM

for those of you who feel they have the knowledge the centonomy course provides how about using that knowledge and delivering it inform of small forums or talk in places outside nairobi? I mean you could charge and make cash on the tickets..Kisumu and other towns in western kenya are places in need to daily finical management advice..atleast to the locals..!
Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
kiterunner
#55 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 3:21:12 AM

kiterunner wrote:
I have gone through the syllabus on their website. I cant believe a literate person needs to pay and sit in class to be taught that. Anyway people are different

After going through the Centonomy youtube channel. I think there is a place for such courses in Nairobi. My mrs is in one of the classes and she has already become very conscious of money so far. The fact that they do it continuously over 10 weeks helps to reinforce the message and hopefully make the change of habits easier..
our goals are best achieved indirectly
Thiong'o
#56 Posted : Tuesday, March 10, 2015 1:29:53 PM

Refreshing Your Financial Literacy

Financial literacy means being able to pick up a bill, bank statement or transaction history and truly understand how it affects you. Not everyone is at the same stage of financial literacy.

Five financial improvements to kick-start (or jump-start) your journey to financial literacy.
1. Identify your Starting Point
If you don't know where you are financially, it can be challenging to plan for where you want to be next year, five years from now or decades down the road.
Calculating your net worth is the best way to gauge both your current financial health and your progress over time.
2. Set Your Priorities
Creating a list of needs and wants can help you set financial priorities.
Many people get into financial trouble by spending too much on wants and don't have enough left over for their needs. Knowing the difference between the two, and being mindful of the distinction when making spending choices, goes a long way when it comes to your financial wellness
3. Document Your Spending
Most people could tell you how much money they make in a year. Fewer could state how much money they spend, however, and fewer still could explain how and where they spend it.
Create a budget, or a personal spending plan.
4. Pay Down Your Debt
Most people have debt
What makes living with debt so costly is not just the interest and fees, but because it can prevent people from ever “getting ahead” with their financial goals.
5. Secure your Financial Future
Learning more about your retirement options is an essential part of securing your financial future. Even if you can’t save much, every bit helps. Once you've developed a plan, you could end up making better spending choices now that you have a goal in mind.

http://www.investopedia....acy.asp?partner=YahooSA
Thiong'o
#57 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 2:49:17 PM

Everyone Should Know

Learn: How to Think About Money
The goal is to get to a place where you actively care about finances and don’t feel a sense of guilt for doing so. "You must control your money on a constant, day-to-day basis, and once you start doing this, you should never stop," Daniel Trezub, founder of SaveWithDan.ca, says. "The feeling of being in control of your money and your life is priceless."
Learn: How to Talk About Money
most couples talk about money only when they're in crisis situations, if at all.
Instead, learn to regularly discuss money so it becomes less taboo, frustrating, or fight inducing
Learn: How to Live Within Your Means
live at a level you can afford, you have to modify your lifestyle slightly and live below your means. "This is really the key to financial success,"
“Look at your budget and spending habits as a project that requires ongoing monitoring and occasional adjustments,”
reallocate some of that impulse or unnecessary spend toward saving for a meaningful goal like a down payment on a home
Learn: How to Budget Better
A strategy for staying on track — and not feeling deprived — is to budget month to month. In fact, money disorder expert Chellie Campbell, author of From Worry to Wealthy, suggests having three budgets — low, medium, and high — and deciding at the start of each month which one you're on.
Learn: How to Prioritize Your Spending
Identify what truly matters to you when it comes to how you want to spend your money
make sure your budget and goals match your spending actions
have two spending accounts: one for necessities and one for discretionary spending (a.k.a. needs vs. wants).
Learn: How to Save Smarter
"Put your financial goals in context first so you understand exactly how all of your savings today translate into funding those future goals,"
Learn: How to Save for Retirement
"Investing in the stock market might sound like something you don't want to deal with," says Alisa Wilke, managing director of product development for SALT, a financial education resource for young adults. "The main thing to do is make sure you diversify your investments to lower your investment risk.
Learn: How to Keep Track of Money
Everyone needs to track their spending in certain categories — full discretionary and groceries, usually. Find a way to track that fits you, so you stay with it
http://finance.yahoo.com...everyone-040000477.html
Museveni
#58 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 12:51:30 PM

Feb 20th
bird_man wrote:

Today is May 20th Week 15

Uli-repeat smile, Uliacha ama bado updates zaja ?
Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
MaichBlack
#59 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:01:30 PM

Museveni wrote:
Feb 20th
bird_man wrote:

Today is May 20th Week 15

Uli-repeat smile, Uliacha ama bado updates zaja ?

80% of class were ladies....
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#60 Posted : Wednesday, May 20, 2015 1:06:38 PM

I have not gone through the whole thread - I will do so later - but I can already see some red flags.

When a lot of positive comments come from fellows who registered the same day they gave those comments or a few days before, that's a red flag for me. Even the person who started the thread seems like he just joined wazua to start the thread!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.