wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
What car options do I have for 400k?
realest
#1 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 5:56:29 PM

Hi Wazuans?

I am seeking advice on which cars are available to me at a budget of 400k. I also wish not to spend a cent more as my budget is already stretched having done a few investments late last year and hoping to take on a few more this year.

I have been looking at locally available cars on olx, Cheki and bazaars and there are quite a number of options. However, I have been lurking on this forum for years now and I have regularly seen some wazuans strongly advise against purchasing third hand cars. I also know a few people that sold their cars after experiencing problems and I wouldn't wish to be the buyer. Neither would I want to have a mechanic on speed dial or start purchasing engines, gear boxes e.t.c a few months down the line. Sad

I am not sold out to any brand though I would honestly love to drive a car with a good re-sale value as I will be planning to cash in soon. I feel lost in a sea of information and options. Feel free to post a few suggestions and your opinions. Thanks in advance. smile
hindi ni riu
#2 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:17:23 PM

realest wrote:
Hi Wazuans?

I am seeking advice on which cars are available to me at a budget of 400k. I also wish not to spend a cent more as my budget is already stretched having done a few investments late last year and hoping to take on a few more this year.

I have been looking at locally available cars on olx, Cheki and bazaars and there are quite a number of options. However, I have been lurking on this forum for years now and I have regularly seen some wazuans strongly advise against purchasing third hand cars. I also know a few people that sold their cars after experiencing problems and I wouldn't wish to be the buyer. Neither would I want to have a mechanic on speed dial or start purchasing engines, gear boxes e.t.c a few months down the line. Sad

I am not sold out to any brand though I would honestly love to drive a car with a good re-sale value as I will be planning to cash in soon. I feel lost in a sea of information and options. Feel free to post a few suggestions and your opinions. Thanks in advance. smile

Welcome socket/plug.

Resale value, 400k, and third hand cannot be in the same sentence. It would also help if you had at least some wild preference/specifications you are looking for for easier advice.

“Once the last tree is cut and the last river poisoned,you will find you cannot eat your money" Traditional saying.
Gordon Gekko
#3 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:41:07 PM

Single/married? School runs? How big are the kids? You take buddies to the bar frequently? Ever do the village run? And if you do, do you come back with farm produce? Do you have a side hassle that requires things transported? What's the state of the road you most use?
georgegop
#4 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:52:16 PM

Toyota Corolla 110 galore..go to car bazaar at Jamhuri Park on Sundays and u'll be spoilt for choice..
Don't Work for Money, Let Money Work for You..
UpcomingPaperChaser
#5 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 8:27:50 PM

I have always been interested in buying a car ever since I cleared campus ago, but salo wasn’t raised very well so I have done a lot of reviews of almost all types of cars in Kenya, including the ones that only akina Uhuru and Kyeff Joinambe can afford. It’s true that 3rd hand cars can be quite a mess and it’s also true that Toyotas are quite overrated in Kenya to say the least. To save fuel, your car should either be 1000cc or 1300cc, hence the only available options are:

Nissan March (except that quite it’s ugly and looks womanish and looks like its stretching after a serious gym workout),

Toyota Vitz (not bad but womanish as well, looks like a woman with a serious attitude issue that wants to proof a point and happens that you are to be used during the process),

Mazda Demio (not man enough but at least better than the other two)

Toyota Duet (small, womanish and very efficient fuel wise though the front look looks like it’s a car always frowning and angry, just like Sienta),

Honda Fit (if u can get one at that price, the best option of all these; not so womanish, efficient consumer and spacious)

Toyota Passo (good, though small I always pity it on the road though huwanga niko kwa Nazigi Sacco because its like if its scratched by Paradiso za Thika Road, it can shed tears coz its so so small but at least it looks manly)

Avoid
Toyota 110 (overrated)
Nissan B15 (overheating and gear box issues at times)
Toyota 100 (prone to theft by akina Kamau, Njoroge and company)

Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
sparkly
#6 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 8:34:38 PM

You can get a decent ride for 400k. Doesn't matter how old it is so long as it in good shape.

Look out for a good ownership history, good service history, avoid taxis and car rentals, avoid accident cars.

Look out for flooding damage, leakages, rusting, misalignments, body fillers, engine/ mechanical noises, bald tyres.

Take you mechanic when you go shopping in that used car segment.
Life is short. Live passionately.
jaggernaut
#7 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 8:45:49 PM

nakujua
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 8:46:02 PM

you will always hear, hii gari imenisumbua sana, sasa nataka kuiuza - most kenyans sell their cars due to faults with the car and they will never disclose that.
but if what you are after is a third party car with reselling in mind, then those are the qualities only of a toyota.
realest.
#9 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 10:53:25 PM

Thank you all. I have slightly altered my username because for some reason I’ve been unable to log into my account.

@ hindi ni riu
Probably resale value is not the best word but what I mean is that I intend to put a price tag on the moti in about two years’ time and I don’t want to struggle looking for customers when that time comes. I’ve come across some crazy offers on a few cars and couldn’t believe no one was interested considering they have been in the market for about six months (not sure if that’s normal) and for that reason I stayed away. I am looking for a city car with modest fuel consumption but one that can do the occasional trip to shaggz comfortably. What would you recommend??? Thanks for your input…I know I can’t have my cake and eat it Sad

@ Gordon Gekko
Well I am a single dude living alone but with a few buddies who occasionally visit nearby towns for some debauchery. I have a side hustle (consultancy work) but that’s service oriented so no goods or luggage involved. I do carry stuff to shaggz (the African way) but nothing excessive. Every weekday I take matatus from southB to hurlingham and back and that’s the road I’ll be using mostly. With that in Mind what car would you recommend considering my budget???. Thanks for your input

@georgegop
Thanks for that tip I will definitely check out that bazaar hopefully with a mechanic in tow.Applause

@UpcomingPaperChaser
Do you have a link to your car reviews? That would definitely make an interesting read. Unfortunately my strict budget calls for pragmatic thinking and I’ll have to brave those critics that judge cars by looks as my main goal is to make financial strides. Probably the fact that I could easily pass for a 24 year old will soften their words.
@ sparkly
"Take your mechanic when you go shopping in that used car segment."

You brought up a good point. But where can I get such a mechanic who can do a thorough job and go easy on my pocket? This is my first car.

@ Jaggernaut
Well that’s too bold for me smile …. And I can’t help but feel that I will keep coming up short when it comes to fueling it. Good to know such an offer exists…...probably suggest something a bit modest?

@nakujua
Lol that sounds familiar had a friend who sold his BMW at a good price (according to him) after making such statements for about a year smile . I don’t know whether I can get a second hand car from Japan @ 400k from a reliable seller. So far it looks like I will be going for a locally used Toyota. Thank you.
Thitifini
#10 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 10:55:00 PM

For 400k, look for a car of 250-300k if second hand. It will require you 50-100k to fix plus comprehensive 50k or there about.

Rarely will you get a good running second hand. Either it will have mech problems ama the owner will have misused it before selling to get more value. Things like shocks and tires will be worn.

plus kama first time driver tafuta comprehensive insurance as a must.

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
taka jua
#11 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:00:58 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
I have always been interested in buying a car ever since I cleared campus ago, but salo wasn’t raised very well so I have done a lot of reviews of almost all types of cars in Kenya, including the ones that only akina Uhuru and Kyeff Joinambe can afford. It’s true that 3rd hand cars can be quite a mess and it’s also true that Toyotas are quite overrated in Kenya to say the least. To save fuel, your car should either be 1000cc or 1300cc, hence the only available options are:

Nissan March (except that quite it’s ugly and looks womanish and looks like its stretching after a serious gym workout),

Toyota Vitz (not bad but womanish as well, looks like a woman with a serious attitude issue that wants to proof a point and happens that you are to be used during the process),

Toyota Duet (small, womanish and very efficient fuel wise though the front look looks like it’s a car always frowning and angry, just like Sienta),

Honda Fit (if u can get one at that price, the best option of all these; not so womanish, efficient consumer and spacious)

Toyota Passo (good, though small I always pity it on the road though huwanga niko kwa Nazigi Sacco because its like if its scratched by Paradiso za Thika Road, it can shed tears coz its so so small but at least it looks manly)

Avoid
Toyota 110 (overrated)

i own a 2000 corolla ae111 , have owned it for over two and a half years and from my experience its not overrated or one to avoid, bought it for 430k and in that time changed shocks , battery , cyllinder head gasket fuel filter bushes and stabilizer links (stuff that you may also need to changed on the 'new old' japanese imports. other than that just the normal service every 5000 kms which cost less than kshs 4000 for oil, air and oil filter. Plugs also at kshs 1600. does about 10-12 km/L in town (live in eastlands, work in westlands) and around 15KM/L out of town. Insurance comprehensive 22k per year
Gordon Gekko
#12 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:11:36 AM

Avoid
Toyota 110 (overrated)

If you decide on the Toyota passo, get a Daihatsu Boon instead which is the exact same car but s***loads cheaper
jerry
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:28:17 AM

taka jua wrote:

Avoid
Toyota 110 (overrated)

i own a 2000 corolla ae111 , have owned it for over two and a half years and from my experience its not overrated or one to avoid, bought it for 430k and in that time changed shocks , battery , cyllinder head gasket fuel filter bushes and stabilizer links (stuff that you may also need to changed on the 'new old' japanese imports. other than that just the normal service every 5000 kms which cost less than kshs 4000 for oil, air and oil filter. Plugs also at kshs 1600. does about 10-12 km/L in town (live in eastlands, work in westlands) and around 15KM/L out of town. Insurance comprehensive 22k per year

You mean ae111 is a 2000cc or yom is 2000? Daihatsu agents in Kenya wako?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
majimaji
#14 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:37:42 AM

you can get a good running premio for this money.
littledove
#15 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 8:58:05 AM

where are importers in the wazua community? i think with around ksh 400,000 you can import toyota passo or other small cars
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
taka jua
#16 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:11:55 AM

[/quote]
i own a 2000 corolla ae111 , have owned it for over two and a half years and from my experience its not overrated or one to avoid, bought it for 430k and in that time changed shocks , battery , cyllinder head gasket fuel filter bushes and stabilizer links (stuff that you may also need to changed on the 'new old' japanese imports. other than that just the normal service every 5000 kms which cost less than kshs 4000 for oil, air and oil filter. Plugs also at kshs 1600. does about 10-12 km/L in town (live in eastlands, work in westlands) and around 15KM/L out of town. Insurance comprehensive 22k per year[/quote]
You mean ae111 is a 2000cc or yom is 2000? Daihatsu agents in Kenya wako?[/quote]

YOM 2000 1600 CC
Swenani
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 9:37:25 AM

littledove wrote:
where are importers in the wazua community? i think with around ksh 400,000 you can import toyota passo or other small cars

He can get a duet,starlet,tuk tuk or nissan AD
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Prime
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 10:39:48 AM

littledove wrote:

You can get a nissan march. Advan old shape ongeza around 20k, demio old shape ongeza around 30k. 450 should het you a relatively ok vehicle. honda fit aria etc.
Njung'e
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:08:25 AM

Your 400K should get you a 2000-2004 Volks Golf.Fuel efficient,easy to maintain,reliable and has excellent safety features.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Sober
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 11:49:31 AM

realest wrote:
Hi Wazuans?

My take. Import a 'Used car' t mean import one that has been used overseas. Most local 2nd hand cars are being sold because of faults here and there. With that I can throw in a few suggestions; Honda Fit or Mazda Demio, or you can join me in buying the old model Mini Cooper-if you like attention.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'