wazua Fri, May 17, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<23456>»
Uber Game Changer in Town
Mike Ock
#61 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2016 9:16:00 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
It should be noted that apart from just the cheapness, Uber has the extra efficiency of mapping the whole trip, per km charging, employee access control, credit card billing, instant monthly reports, detailed receipts for each trip, driver and passenger ratings, and common company rules are programmed into the back-end and can be selected if you wish. When you look at all these advantages and the fact that they generate over 50% efficiency gains for traditional cabs' best clients(companies and suburb dwellers), you can sort of empathise with their bad reaction. Out of nowhere within the space of a year many Nairobi cab drivers are staring financial ruin in the face, especially the ones who own the older jalopies. Maybe they can rudi ocha and hope that Uber don't expand to rural areas.

Why don't they also sign up to be uber drivers? What is so difficult about that?

Uber has high standards of road worthiness that 90% of cabs in Kenya don't meet. That's one of the reasons why the cab drivers are feeling trapped and lashing out. Desperate times calling for desperate measures
KulaRaha
#62 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2016 10:47:19 AM

enyands wrote:
Anti_Burglar wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
It should be noted that apart from just the cheapness, Uber has the extra efficiency of mapping the whole trip, per km charging, employee access control, credit card billing, instant monthly reports, detailed receipts for each trip, driver and passenger ratings, and common company rules are programmed into the back-end and can be selected if you wish. When you look at all these advantages and the fact that they generate over 50% efficiency gains for traditional cabs' best clients(companies and suburb dwellers), you can sort of empathise with their bad reaction. Out of nowhere within the space of a year many Nairobi cab drivers are staring financial ruin in the face, especially the ones who own the older jalopies. Maybe they can rudi ocha and hope that Uber don't expand to rural areas.

Why don't they also sign up to be uber drivers? What is so difficult about that?

They won't make as much as they do under the umbrella of their cartel body. Uber charges way less than them that's why they are fighting them hard

Actually they would make more but would not qualify to be Uber cabs due to quality etc.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
alma1
#63 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2016 2:30:39 PM

Masukuma saidia hawa watu wa taxi jameni.

They think the solution is an app like Uber...Kweli business school is expensive.

"The taxi drivers have also promised to come up with their own version of Uber to connect taxi drivers in the country." http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/138ywmnz/-/index.html
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

Anti_Burglar
#64 Posted : Wednesday, February 03, 2016 3:27:07 PM

[quote=alma1]Masukuma saidia hawa watu wa taxi jameni.

They think the solution is an app like Uber...Kweli business school is expensive.

"The taxi drivers have also promised to come up with their own version of Uber to connect taxi drivers in the country." http://www.nation.co.ke/...-/138ywmnz/-/index.html[/quote]

Quote:
They claim Uber is driving 15,000 traditional taxi drivers out of business as Uber drivers make more trips because their prices are lower, they are readily available and are very popular among young people.

Quote:
The organisation questioned the protocols followed by the foreign investors behind Uber, saying they were not consulted before the service provider entered the market.

Quote:
“We are not fighting Uber drivers. In fact, some of them used to be our colleagues. Our problem is with the big fish, the investors who want to paint Uber drivers as more professional than the rest of us,” Mr Mwangi said.

Hawes saidia hawa.
Mukiri
#65 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2016 3:46:07 AM

Interesting the way the posts here are taxi drivers this, taxi drivers that, am I the only son of Mumbi here? Or are people blind to making money? Why do I see 2x1 or 1x1 on the roads? With the jams? Terminus packed with people? Or have the thugs of Nairobi made carpooling Rusian roullette?

Proverbs 19:21
Swenani
#66 Posted : Thursday, February 04, 2016 8:45:01 AM

Anti_Burglar wrote:
[quote=alma1]Masukuma saidia hawa watu wa taxi jameni.

"The taxi drivers have also promised to come up with their own version of Uber to connect taxi drivers in the country." http://www.nation.co.ke/...-/138ywmnz/-/index.html[/quote]

Quote:
They claim Uber is driving 15,000 traditional taxi drivers out of business as Uber drivers make more trips because their prices are lower, they are readily available and are very popular among young people.

Quote:
The organisation questioned the protocols followed by the foreign investors behind Uber, saying they were not consulted before the service provider entered the market.

Quote:
“We are not fighting Uber drivers. In fact, some of them used to be our colleagues. Our problem is with the big fish, the investors who want to paint Uber drivers as more professional than the rest of us,” Mr Mwangi said.

Hawes saidia hawa.

That's where the problem is?

Do you consult your competitor when you want to open a new business in his/her locality? Why can't they leave it to the customers to determine who is more professional?

Sienzi kapsa!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#67 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2016 9:40:12 AM

Via Oduor Jagero

Those that think that normal taxis in Kenya have a case against Uber or Easy Taxi for that matter, are the good, easy Kenyans, contented, and those who demand mediocrity of their government.

As a frequent traveler, Uber has not only saved me time and money but my life.

I used to go to the airport from Dagoreti corner at 3,000 shillings, in a car that is almost broken down, always reading empty gas sign, and whose windows dont go down. Now I go to the airport at 1750 in a new car, with a working ac, with a groomed guy who asks which music I want to listen to, not the Kikuyu taxi man who plays Kameme fm and speaks in the phone in Kikuyu throught the journey.

I used to walk from my house in the dead of the night to go pick a taxi from Dagoreti Corner to the airport, now the Uber driver comes to the gate and waits.

We used to haggle over the fare price sometimes for a cool half hour. Now we both know none of us determine the price. We both know the price at the end of the journey.

Before they used to cheat me. Give me five minutes they would day. Just two minutes. Ni ka jam too hapa kwa roundabout. Now I see where the car is. I can drop a pin on it. Now the app calculates the amount of time before it arrives to where I am.

Now I can wake up and find a warm message on the phone. We thought you would enjoy a free ride today as our customer. 1000 shillings voucher.

Let me tell you something Kenyan taxi chietha. People outside your hellhole of a broken extortionist taxi system will come and suggest to you how to have some order. If you dont warmly receive that order, we will.

If you think Uber is some type of foreign thing, well your phone is a foreign thing. Toss it in the river too. And your taxi car. That too is Japanese. Do away with that too.

Just dont piss on our intelligence. Just go do some other business.
Nimerudi
#68 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:31:27 PM

alma1 wrote:
washiku wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
washiku wrote:
I know a few companies that have already adopted Uber as their official Taxi service and have 'forced' their employees to only use Uber for Nairobi travel. Pilots have shown 40-50% savings in such companies' travel budget. When corporates jump on to the bus enmasse, am sure the traditional taxi will die a slow and painful death. The idea is unstoppable.

At our workplace we went from using 70k per month on Delight Cabs to 20k per month on Uber.

That's a 70+ reduction in cost. Very good for business. How I wish there could be a "Uber" to compete with Kenya Powersmile

There is and its called solar.

As for the Uber war, I don't think I'm wrong in thinking that this is being fuelled by the corporate taxis that are losing business.

We all know they are the mafia. Every individual should just take their cars from these fellows. They pay you 30k, destroy your car and then charge the corporate 80k.

That brand of business is dead. However many ubers and easy taxis they destroy, it will only take one cab guy being arrested. Just like those mini skirt makangas.

True. It's the big cab companies that are fuelling this situation. Was on an uber ride today and the driver previously worked for Pewin. He told me that lots of guys leasing their rides to big companies stopped once Uber came along. Not to mention their loss of corporate contracts.
kayhara
#69 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 9:58:39 AM

Hehe the guys are on strike from today, will any one of you miss them? will taxi transport be affected? NO, uber and easy will see surge in business, this is like going on a hunger strike in kenya, no one cares.
To Each His Own
kaka2za
#70 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 11:27:42 AM

Apparently we have been there before. Transport in Kenya in the early years after independence was dominated by bus companies and they were not happy when matatus were introduced.
The owners sought appointment with Old Jomo and complained that matatus were driving them out of business. It is said that Jomo advised them to buy Matatus.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Lolest!
#71 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2016 11:47:05 AM

There is no difference between the taxi guys and the media companies' sulking when digital migration was being done!
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hardwood
#72 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 9:43:25 AM

Getting nasty.

http://www.the-star.co.k...-kirichwa-road_c1299264

Quote:
An Uber Taxi was burnt and the driver injured after a suspected arsonist set the vehicle on fire along Kirichwa road in Kilimani area Nairobi.

"The driver was dropping off a customer when he got near Kirichwa and was attacked," Nairobi police commander Japheth Koome said.

Speaking to the Star on phone, Koome said the Uber taxi was blocked by a black vehicle along Muringa court on the same road.

"Four men walked out of the vehicle, took a jerrican of petrol and poured it on the Uber taxi. After that, they set it on fire. The passenger had been dropped off," he said.
kollabo
#73 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 10:38:59 AM

hardwood wrote:
Getting nasty.

http://www.the-star.co.k...-kirichwa-road_c1299264

Quote:
An Uber Taxi was burnt and the driver injured after a suspected arsonist set the vehicle on fire along Kirichwa road in Kilimani area Nairobi.

"The driver was dropping off a customer when he got near Kirichwa and was attacked," Nairobi police commander Japheth Koome said.

Speaking to the Star on phone, Koome said the Uber taxi was blocked by a black vehicle along Muringa court on the same road.

"Four men walked out of the vehicle, took a jerrican of petrol and poured it on the Uber taxi. After that, they set it on fire. The passenger had been dropped off," he said.

What a waste!! That 10 litre jerrycan of fuel would have generated good money had they used their heads.
KulaRaha
#74 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 10:55:03 AM

Serious dumbness. Who will sit in a cab with a driver who exhibits such violence? Counterproductive.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
shalishali
#75 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 12:13:16 PM

All the more reason I prefer Uber to the local taxi!
UKITAFUTA UKABILA UTAKUFA BILA!
streetwise
#76 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 1:15:50 PM

Uber is the way to go tupende tusipende
sparkly
#77 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 2:11:45 PM

streetwise wrote:
Uber is the way to go tupende tusipende

True, its innovate or die. Normal cabbies are advised to retire their overcharging junks and do something else.

If not Uber, someone else will come along and do them in.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Nimerudi
#78 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 7:27:49 PM

These idiots are actually generating free PR for Uber.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#79 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 6:48:06 AM

Sad Sad Sad Sad

Why isn't the government doing something to help the uber taxi drivers and owners. Another cab was burnt along Kirichwa rd and the driver beaten senseless.

whiteowl
#80 Posted : Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:52:07 AM

Who would want to be chauffeured around by a bunch of arsonists? They're effectively killing the remaining client base.