wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<1234>»
Uber Game Changer in Town
chris79
#21 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 9:34:44 AM

Used it last week for a hot date with a fish I've been eyeing for a while. Must say she was suitably impressed when i didn't turn up in my usual footsubishi. And the good thing is i didn't spend a dime. Apparently if you refer somebody else both of you earn a free ride. I won't mind getting a few more. So in case any one has not tried it please use my promo code wnamc and let's ride! And who knows i might get lucky again ;-)
Swenani
#22 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 11:25:30 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
Hallo good people.

I have been ignoring this business of hailing cabs through an app but after watching the French cab drivers riots yesterday, now am very curious.

Its clear this is a classic disruptive innovation. How is it doing locally ? Have they gained traction ? I know the average taxi user in Kenya relies on cab guy they know. Problem is they are unreliable and damn exploitative. Its a battle between familiarity and convenience.

I want to start by downloading the app, but my eyes are fixed on investing in this business.

In 2007, a safcom guy was telling me how i could register a company and start a money transfer business they had just started. I remember a company called sasanet starting mobile m-pesa kiosks in town and at KNH.

I don't want to be telling friends 10 years from now how i watched the taxi business revolution from the sidelines.

Tell us what happened here first.

smile smile smile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
mkenyan
#23 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 3:20:25 PM

Swenani wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Hallo good people.

I have been ignoring this business of hailing cabs through an app but after watching the French cab drivers riots yesterday, now am very curious.

Its clear this is a classic disruptive innovation. How is it doing locally ? Have they gained traction ? I know the average taxi user in Kenya relies on cab guy they know. Problem is they are unreliable and damn exploitative. Its a battle between familiarity and convenience.

I want to start by downloading the app, but my eyes are fixed on investing in this business.

In 2007, a safcom guy was telling me how i could register a company and start a money transfer business they had just started. I remember a company called sasanet starting mobile m-pesa kiosks in town and at KNH.

I don't want to be telling friends 10 years from now how i watched the taxi business revolution from the sidelines.

smile smile smile

seems like he was fired (together with the fish) and now he's looking for a source of income.
Othelo
#24 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 3:37:41 PM

mkenyan wrote:
Swenani wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Hallo good people.

smile smile smile

seems like he was fired (together with the fish) and now he's looking for a source of income.

Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Wakanyugi
#25 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 11:22:51 PM

chris79 wrote:
Used it last week for a hot date with a fish I've been eyeing for a while. Must say she was suitably impressed when i didn't turn up in my usual footsubishi. And the good thing is i didn't spend a dime. Apparently if you refer somebody else both of you earn a free ride. I won't mind getting a few more. So in case any one has not tried it please use my promo code wnamc and let's ride! And who knows i might get lucky again ;-)

I just love Wazua.

So you rode Uber and ended up up 'riding' again. I wonder which was more enjoyable.... Anyway I will try the service. Thanks for the referral.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Lolest!
#26 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 10:29:29 AM

Kenyan Luddites?
Quote:
Kenyan taxi drivers have launched their own version of the ongoing global revolt against taxi hailing service Uber, arguing that its pricing model is driving them out of business.

The taxi drivers last Thursday warned of an impending attack on Uber partners, prompting the US tech firm that owns the service to alert its Kenyan associates to move with care.

INTIMIDATION AND HARASSMENT

“We have received reports of isolated intimidation and harassment of our partner-drivers at the Oval — a commercial building complex — in Nairobi’s Westlands,” Uber said in a message sent to partner-drivers.

“Please be alert and aware in this area by concealing your Uber device and ensuring that your pick-ups and drop-offs take place in public, well lit areas,” said Samantha Allenberg, the spokesperson for Uber Africa, adding that the company was working with the relevant stakeholders in Nairobi to ensure the negative experience is not repeated.

Kenyan taxi operators are opposed to Uber’s pricing model, which cuts by more than half what they have been charging commuters in central Nairobi.

http://nairobinews.natio...own-battle-against-uber/
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
streetwise
#27 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 10:32:26 AM

Fighting for an idea whose time has come is waste of time.

Why don't the Kenyan chaps develop their own version of Uber, after all Kenya is now the modern silicon valley of the world ( or atleast Africa)
alma1
#28 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 10:49:20 AM

So they are not even fighting with a better product, they want to use force like in France?

The fact is Uber is the next corporate. Sorry, not next, the current model for anyone who wants to start a corporation. They are not only challenging taxis, their business model is challenging the current notion of taxation. They pay little to no tax in the US due to its internationalized tax structure. Google kidogo.

As for Kenyan taxis creating their own, man first they have to create a website.

Any business that thinks that they shall survive in the next 50yrs with the current business models has just dug its grave. And that means all.

If Uber is scary, they should take a look at some of the startups being created from everything from taxis to underwear that are following the same journey.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

KulaRaha
#29 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:02:46 AM

Typical stupid Kenyan reaction. Netflix, Uber, who's next?

Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Robinhood
#30 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:20:54 AM

alma1 wrote:
So they are not even fighting with a better product, they want to use force like in France?

The fact is Uber is the next corporate. Sorry, not next, the current model for anyone who wants to start a corporation. They are not only challenging taxis, their business model is challenging the current notion of taxation. They pay little to no tax in the US due to its internationalized tax structure. Google kidogo.

As for Kenyan taxis creating their own, man first they have to create a website.

Any business that thinks that they shall survive in the next 50yrs with the current business models has just dug its grave. And that means all.

If Uber is scary, they should take a look at some of the startups being created from everything from taxis to underwear that are following the same journey.

The problem with Kenyan taxis is that they are run by cartels. They form around a particular building and will not let a new entrant join them at the 'shimo' without a fee. They also fix the fares since they spend ages waiting at the shimo so when they get one customer, they really milk the poor fellow propoerly.

I have used Uber endlessly and will keep using it.

Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Swenani
#31 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:30:17 AM

KulaRaha wrote:

K-street fish-I'm planning to open a fish parlour with imported fish from the Caribbean
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
alma1
#32 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:42:03 AM

Robinhood wrote:
alma1 wrote:

The problem with Kenyan taxis is that they are run by cartels. They form around a particular building and will not let a new entrant join them at the 'shimo' without a fee. They also fix the fares since they spend ages waiting at the shimo so when they get one customer, they really milk the poor fellow propoerly.

I have used Uber endlessly and will keep using it.

The only way to kill companies like Uber is to kill their money. Investors and VC's the world over have realised that there's a money train in such companies.

They are efficient and give great customer experiences. So the user isn't going to complain.

Only cartels shall complain.

The problem in Kenya is that even the cartels are loaded with policemen.

But in this case I take my hope from the Nakujua story about the mouse and the cows.

Since Uber is for "the rich", somehow the model will go on in Kenya.

The sad thing is that even for Matatus, Uber means death for them. I told you on another thread on GM starting to use the model for their new cars.

Those that will be here in 20 years, the world as we know it will have changed dramatically.

Uber isn't going anywhere and those jallopies that are parked and owned by bankers on loan will force them to come up with more viable business ideas.

KulaRaha
#33 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 2:03:07 PM

So, if you have a cab with Pewin etc and they dont pay your regularly, you can move it to Uber, but just need to get a driver?
KulaRaha
#34 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 2:06:11 PM

Swenani wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

K-street fish-I'm planning to open a fish parlour with imported fish from the Caribbean

I hear there are imported fish already in Kitisuru, blonde european fish!
alma1
#35 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 4:02:23 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
So, if you have a cab with Pewin etc and they dont pay your regularly, you can move it to Uber, but just need to get a driver?

Exactly and that is what these people are afraid is going to happen.

Why give your car to Kenatco while you can just use Uber and get all your money without being fleeced by cartels and your driver?

Robinhood
#36 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 4:15:21 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
Swenani wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

A friend told you about them no doubt smile
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
Ric dees
#37 Posted : Monday, January 25, 2016 11:45:28 PM

Uber is here to stay, this is a multi $B company with a tried and tested model and frankly the push-back from Kenyan cabs is nothing new.

The disruptive industry (on-demand economy) is here to stay and ie now in Carlifonia Uber is in the Parcel delivery industry (same day service) and DHL/TNT are shitting in their pants just a matter of time before this rolls out worldwide. AirBnb has caused a lot of issues in France and during the world cup (Rugby) Airbnb was the preferred method of getting accommodation in England and hotels did report lots of unrealised sales. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

The greatest danger in times of turbulence is not the turbulence; it is to act with yesterday's logic.
KulaRaha
#38 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:24:27 AM

Sendy will do the same to piki piki couriers.
KulaRaha
#39 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 6:25:45 AM

Robinhood wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Swenani wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:

A friend told you about them no doubt smile

I was invited to sample, but unfortunately its Njaaaaaaaanuary!

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
FRM2011
#40 Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2016 11:23:25 AM

[quote=Lolest!]Kenyan Luddites?
Quote:
Kenyan taxi drivers have launched their own version of the ongoing global revolt against taxi hailing service Uber, arguing that its pricing model is driving them out of business.

The taxi drivers last Thursday warned of an impending attack on Uber partners, prompting the US tech firm that owns the service to alert its Kenyan associates to move with care.

INTIMIDATION AND HARASSMENT

“We have received reports of isolated intimidation and harassment of our partner-drivers at the Oval — a commercial building complex — in Nairobi’s Westlands,” Uber said in a message sent to partner-drivers.

“Please be alert and aware in this area by concealing your Uber device and ensuring that your pick-ups and drop-offs take place in public, well lit areas,” said Samantha Allenberg, the spokesperson for Uber Africa, adding that the company was working with the relevant stakeholders in Nairobi to ensure the negative experience is not repeated.

Kenyan taxi operators are opposed to Uber’s pricing model, which cuts by more than half what they have been charging commuters in central Nairobi.

http://nairobinews.natio...wn-battle-against-uber/[/quote]

Saw this discussion on a Facebook group "buyerbeware". Most people had never heard of uber before yesterday. From the comments there, it's possible over 1,000 new people downloaded the app yesterday.

The taxi guys have just made uber bigger than it was. The testimonials from people who use it indicate an average 50% savings.