wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages123>»
Uber Game Changer in Town
shadowinvestor
#1 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 2:53:08 PM

From Mid last week to end of this week there has been the Nairobi restaurant week going on where top notch places put their food on offer for a good discount on the menu prices to promote them. As I was preparing to take the wife for some dine and wine, i happened to use the Uber taxis as there was an 2k offer for two rides and I can attest this is the 'cheapest' and most convenient means of transport around.

The charge is as follows min 100, 60 bob per km and 4bob per minute. On a cool saturday evening from westlands to hurlingham, it cost me 240 shillings, which was free btw. a friend of mine used it to travel to ruaka on Friday, the trip was 745 bob and as bold as he was, he told the dere to wait for an hour as he downed 2 at the local before heading home.

Who has used it? If you thing its a deal, download the app, upon registration there is a place for coupon code, insert nrw2015, that gives you 2k worth of a trip valid till next monday. If you read this past Monday, use titusk3, you get your first free ride free. Not bad

Use, we review this $40 billion company at weeks end or upon use
Muheani
#2 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:07:04 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:
From Mid last week to end of this week there has been the Nairobi restaurant week going on where top notch places put their food on offer for a good discount on the menu prices to promote them. As I was preparing to take the wife for some dine and wine, i happened to use the Uber taxis as there was an 2k offer for two rides and I can attest this is the 'cheapest' and most convenient means of transport around.

The charge is as follows min 100, 60 bob per km and 4bob per minute. On a cool saturday evening from westlands to hurlingham, it cost me 240 shillings, which was free btw. a friend of mine used it to travel to ruaka on Friday, the trip was 745 bob and as bold as he was, he told the dere to wait for an hour as he downed 2 at the local before heading home.

Who has used it? If you thing its a deal, download the app, upon registration there is a place for coupon code, insert nrw2015, that gives you 2k worth of a trip valid till next monday. If you read this past Monday, use titusk3, you get your first free ride free. Not bad

Thanks Uber. Tell us more of what you can do huko kwa pennywise
Jump-steady
#3 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:08:58 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:

Are you sharing an experience or plainly advertising your company?
Othelo
#4 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:10:29 PM

Hizo codes jo!!!!!!!! smile smile smile
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
Swenani
#5 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:19:47 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:

How much are you paid?Why pay 240from West lands to hurling ham when you can board a matatu and pay 70 bob and the balance you invest in a buroti....smile smile smile smile smile
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
quicksand
#6 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:50:55 PM

@shadowyinvestor......how did you pay? Can you confirm that they only accept credit cards, no cash nor mpesa as the author of this piece in The Star claims?
http://the-star.co.ke/ne...n-kenyans-peculiarities
If true, they are off to a shaky start, unless their target is expats only. Even the US embassy accepts visa fees via Mpesa!
shadowinvestor
#7 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 3:54:07 PM

Jump-steady wrote:
shadowinvestor wrote:

Are you sharing an experience or plainly advertising your company?

Its actually both, the latter code ni yangu, a reference code, i wouldn't mind a couple of free rides. As for the experience, its honestly great, but that's for me and my pals. I would want to know of guys who have used it, and hopefully a couple of free ridessmile
McReggae
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:02:28 PM

quicksand wrote:
@shadowyinvestor......how did you pay? Can you confirm that they only accept credit cards, no cash nor mpesa as the author of this piece in The Star claims?
If true, they are off to a shaky start, unless their target is expats only. Even the US embassy accepts visa fees via Mpesa!

Interesting review, seems dead on arrival, people who only pay by card can afford more luxurious taxis that wait for them as they do their shyt!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Othelo
#9 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:04:32 PM

McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

Interesting review, seems dead on arrival, people who only pay by card can afford more luxurious taxis that wait for them as they do their shyt!

As they Keter each other!!!
Formal education will make you a living. Self-education will make you a fortune - Jim Rohn.
ecstacy
#10 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 4:23:42 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:

Don't you also need to state that they are offering a discount on their prices (10% or 50%, need to confirm exacts, think its the latter) for the first 2 weeks of their launch? Minimum price 500/=

Ultimately, they need to accept M-PESA and have drivers that are more conversant with the operational areas.
Gordon Gekko
#11 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 5:14:38 PM

Tough call giving my cc number, sign up the mobile services.
Kihara joni
#12 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 5:27:40 PM

So how much woul it cost me from JKIA to cabanas where I can pick a bus to town since the buses don't operate at night, it's a 3 minute drive, so what you meat is i'll pay 3 bob per kilometer minimum 100- so around 115/- bob but shida sina credit card.
shadowinvestor
#13 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:41:23 PM

Swenani wrote:
shadowinvestor wrote:

How much are you paid?Why pay 240from West lands to hurling ham when you can board a matatu and pay 70 bob and the balance you invest in a buroti....smile smile smile smile smile

I was with the Mrs, matatu anapanda kila siku, but think about it, its pretty cheap
shadowinvestor
#14 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:43:15 PM

McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

They Billed by credit/Debit cards. All these cards akina Naivas, Nakumatt are dishing out are Visa/Master-cards making them applicable to register, as for the accounts having cash, This is Kenya. I do think they need to diversify their payment options, but their Modus Operandi is debiting an account remotely. It shall be tricky to initially change that
KulaRaha
#15 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 6:58:35 PM

It will work, just watch. Even if it doesn't work, taxi fares will drop for sure.

They will get Mpesa soon...remember Mpesa is Kenyan, so they are not used to mobile money elsewhere.
Business opportunities are like buses,there's always another one coming
Thitifini
#16 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 11:56:12 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:
McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

They Billed by credit/Debit cards. All these cards akina Naivas, Nakumatt are dishing out are Visa/Master-cards making them applicable to register, as for the accounts having cash, This is Kenya. I do think they need to diversify their payment options, but their Modus Operandi is debiting an account remotely. It shall be tricky to initially change that

Smells insider language. Any affiliations?

60% Learning, 30% synthesizing, 10% Debating
shadowinvestor
#17 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 4:20:07 PM

Thitifini wrote:
shadowinvestor wrote:
McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

Shareholdersmile But its an interesting read on how they came up and their operation. Read
>http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Uber-says-it-does-not-need-licence-to-run-Nairobi-service-/-/539550/2603146/-/pw4fit/-/index.html

I am a sucker for Disruptors-Companies that come about and change How things have been running for God knows how long.
mkenyan
#18 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:13:08 PM

shadowinvestor wrote:
Thitifini wrote:
shadowinvestor wrote:
McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

Shareholdersmile But its an interesting read on how they came up and their operation. Read
>http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate-News/Uber-says-it-does-not-need-licence-to-run-Nairobi-service-/-/539550/2603146/-/pw4fit/-/index.html

I am a sucker for Disruptors-Companies that come about and change How things have been running for God knows how long.

maybe disruptor in us but in kenya we already have easy taxi doing that.
shadowinvestor
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:41:11 PM

Thitifini wrote:
shadowinvestor wrote:
McReggae wrote:
quicksand wrote:

FRM2011
#20 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 7:52:16 AM

Hallo good people.

I have been ignoring this business of hailing cabs through an app but after watching the French cab drivers riots yesterday, now am very curious.

Its clear this is a classic disruptive innovation. How is it doing locally ? Have they gained traction ? I know the average taxi user in Kenya relies on cab guy they know. Problem is they are unreliable and damn exploitative. Its a battle between familiarity and convenience.

I want to start by downloading the app, but my eyes are fixed on investing in this business.

In 2007, a safcom guy was telling me how i could register a company and start a money transfer business they had just started. I remember a company called sasanet starting mobile m-pesa kiosks in town and at KNH.

I don't want to be telling friends 10 years from now how i watched the taxi business revolution from the sidelines.