hardwood wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
[quote=Impunity]And now freight charge is halved to only kes.35K for 20 TEU.
Tough times!

The latest strategy is to force importers to use SGR. The clearing agents are up in arms. Will most likely end in court.

Someone is really trying to paint this white elephant black.

One month in operation and the reality is sinking in. David Ndii saw it four years ago.

How will they force us? Apart from the large entities,most importers indicate Mombasa as the final destination.
How will they know the ones to bring to Nairobi?

Strange how when it comes to solving nairobi's transport crisis everyone recommends a public funded efficient transport system (light rail or bus). But when it comes to moving goods and people from mbs to nairobi everyone wants to go the "matatu way" even after govt has built an efficient and safe transport system (SGR).

The SGR is not a white elephant. The fact is, it might not break even within the next four or five years given the huge capital outlay. Give it time, the market dynamics will sort out the fake political fears David Ndii and his ilk have.

Ni siasa tu. Bonga points. They never process what they say.

The cargo train has been operational for a month and they want to label it a failure. They should talk to their most successful local Mama Mboga or Mutura vendor and gather how long it took them to break even (amidst daily losses and rotten stock). Business takes a while before picking. Remember the Safaricom Big Box marketing blitz. They sold only like 15,000 before going back to strategy meetings!

Finally, someone has given the best example. The Safaricom big box has been re-launched for the third time. This time with amazing data offers. 3000 for 30GB. It has been a total flop in the market. Out of those 15,000 you are mentioning, only a third of them are active. It is safaricom's worst performing product of all time. Blaze comes a close second. They have both eaten millions in marketing.

SGR was meant to reduce transport costs by 40%. That was the message from the president and his deputy. It hasn't and it will never achieve that objective. Now it's even unable to pay its loans. And cannot even get customers to utilize it.

It wasn't meant to save Mombasa road from congestion. It wasn't meant to reduce accidents.

No wonder the govt is throwing another 300bn to expand Mombasa highway.

Reducing transport cost of cargo containers from 80k to current 35k is more than 40% reduction. As a businessman what would you choose to pay - 80k or 35k?

Also the railway is being funded via a 1.5% Railway development levy for all cargo imports and this has been raising 20B each year meaning the SGR will be fully paid for in about 15yrs. FYI i imported a Toyota Rav 4 2yrs ago and paid thousands to the levy.

I want to add that only an idiot would claim that SGR hasn't reduced road accidents or reduced congestion at kilindini.

Also this railway will serve kenya for the next 200yrs plus and therefore we should not pass a judgement after only 6 months, your opinion should come after 199yrs....if you will be alive by then.

https://www.businessdail...23320-pimsci/index.html[/quote]

I ask again.

Why is the government forcefully loading shipments to SGR without importer's authority?
In my sector, most guys have their offices here in Nairobi yet some sell their imports in Mombasa. They never bring them to Nairobi. Especially Kenyans of Arab descent.

You forcefully bring such a shipment to Nairobi then what?

Ujinga ingine watu waache!

Clearly wrong. Someone should be surcharged for such folly!
Fyatu
#1122 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 10:00:26 AM

I am inside(now..yaani sahii) the SGR train towards Mombasa. I must confess that today was a nightmare for most passengers especially the ones that booked online due to the following reasons.

1. There were double bookings for sits(This is totally unacceptable).

2. There was a peculiar ticket printing method whereby you have to queue on for your ticket to be printed by a teller.(lA teller like those in banking halls).IMHO, Kenya railways should let kenyans do this for themselves rather than those moody/hormone overdosed women tellers. 5 minutes to check-in time and Kenyans were still queuing waiting to be served.

3. The washrooms were a disaster. Kinyesi was all over the walls in the toilets. No tissue paper etc. Someone tell Ole itumbi or Alai to tweet/SMS this to Uhuru himself. Choo ni kama public toilets za Nairobi county council...Shame Shame..Someone tell the President that his railway is being mismanaged.

4. The attitude of the train hostess and those people serving food on the train leaves alot to be desired. Wafanyi kazi huko wako na attitude mbaya which stinks of nepotism...They are very rude and arrogant these staff members. Imagine a young lady with two tois told to mop the floor coz one of her kids have poured yoghurt on the floor

5. An elderly mzee i am sitting with says that he thinks that these trains are overstaffed and he believes this is the reason for the inefficiencies. It seems that SGR has become an employment agency for our unqualified/undeserving relathieves who have refused to clean the toilets at the terminus and clean the yogho that kids spill on the train floor.

5.Raising the fare will surely reduce the number of travelers. As @Alma has noted, why should i pay 100 bob to syoks, 1200 to Mombasa, 200 to Mombasa CBD and buy an over priced breakfast (chai na mandazi moja stale) for 200 bob when i can eat my chapati madondo at 100 bob and pay 1200 in Dreamline bus or Simba coach that drops me in Mwembe.

If @Ole itumbi reads this then he should let the powers that be that this is happening to save the situation ASAP otherwise it will be billions down the drain
Dumb money becomes dumb only when it listens to smart money
hardwood
#1123 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 10:03:23 AM

mkeiy wrote:
hardwood wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
murchr wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
hardwood wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
And now freight charge is halved to only kes.35K for 20 TEU.
Tough times!

The latest strategy is to force importers to use SGR. The clearing agents are up in arms. Will most likely end in court.

One month in operation and the reality is sinking in. David Ndii saw it four years ago.

How will they force us? Apart from the large entities,most importers indicate Mombasa as the final destination.

Strange how when it comes to solving nairobi's transport crisis everyone recommends a public funded efficient transport system (light rail or bus). But when it comes to moving goods and people from mbs to nairobi everyone wants to go the "matatu way" even after govt has built an efficient and safe transport system (SGR).

The SGR is not a white elephant. The fact is, it might not break even within the next four or five years given the huge capital outlay. Give it time, the market dynamics will sort out the fake political fears David Ndii and his ilk have.

Ni siasa tu. Bonga points. They never process what they say.

The cargo train has been operational for a month and they want to label it a failure. They should talk to their most successful local Mama Mboga or Mutura vendor and gather how long it took them to break even (amidst daily losses and rotten stock). Business takes a while before picking. Remember the Safaricom Big Box marketing blitz. They sold only like 15,000 before going back to strategy meetings!

Finally, someone has given the best example. The Safaricom big box has been re-launched for the third time. This time with amazing data offers. 3000 for 30GB. It has been a total flop in the market. Out of those 15,000 you are mentioning, only a third of them are active. It is safaricom's worst performing product of all time. Blaze comes a close second. They have both eaten millions in marketing.

SGR was meant to reduce transport costs by 40%. That was the message from the president and his deputy. It hasn't and it will never achieve that objective. Now it's even unable to pay its loans. And cannot even get customers to utilize it.

It wasn't meant to save Mombasa road from congestion. It wasn't meant to reduce accidents.

No wonder the govt is throwing another 300bn to expand Mombasa highway.

Reducing transport cost of cargo containers from 80k to current 35k is more than 40% reduction. As a businessman what would you choose to pay - 80k or 35k?

Also the railway is being funded via a 1.5% Railway development levy for all cargo imports and this has been raising 20B each year meaning the SGR will be fully paid for in about 15yrs. FYI i imported a Toyota Rav 4 2yrs ago and paid thousands to the levy.

I want to add that only an idiot would claim that SGR hasn't reduced road accidents or reduced congestion at kilindini.

Also this railway will serve kenya for the next 200yrs plus and therefore we should not pass a judgement after only 6 months, your opinion should come after 199yrs....if you will be alive by then.

https://www.businessdail...23320-pimsci/index.html

I ask again.

Why is the government forcefully loading shipments to SGR without importer's authority?
In my sector, most guys have their offices here in Nairobi yet some sell their imports in Mombasa. They never bring them to Nairobi. Especially Kenyans of Arab descent.

You forcefully bring such a shipment to Nairobi then what?

Ujinga ingine watu waache!

Why not go to court and complain there....and seek compensation?
hardwood
#1124 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 10:20:12 AM

FRM2011 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Tough times!

Kifwa released a statement on Friday. Apparently, KPA has stopped nomination of CFS effective today and that all unnominated containers consigned to importers upcountry have to be railed to Embakasi via SGR.

Seriously if your letter/parcel from abroad is addressed to you at P.O. Box Bondo, why should posta hold it at GPO nairobi? Why should a container addressed to P.O. Box Nairobi be held at KPA clogging the port?
hardwood
#1125 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 10:38:38 AM

Fyatu wrote:
I am inside(now..yaani sahii) the SGR train towards Mombasa. I must confess that today was a nightmare for most passengers especially the ones that booked online due to the following reasons.

3. The washrooms were a disaster. Kinyesi was all over the walls in the toilets. No tissue paper etc. Someone tell Ole itumbi or Alai to tweet/SMS this to Uhuru himself. Choo ni kama public toilets za Nairobi county council...Shame Shame..Someone tell the President that his railway is being mismanaged.

Shida ya moving a population from stone age to first world in just 2yrs (that ohuru took to build sgr). Many travelers are seeing or using a flushing toilet for the first time. Many were used to squatting in the bushes hapo mtito andei to relieve themselves. Maybe govt should run a national public campaign on how to use a toilet.
aemathenge
#1126 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 11:29:46 AM

Copy and Paste Extract:

Quote:
Chinese Firm Lends Kenya Sh 25bn To Electrify SGR

Kenya Electricity Transmission Company Limited (Ketraco) says it will use the money to build 14 substations between Mombasa and Nairobi, adding that the main goal of the project is to have the railway run on clean energy and further reduce transport cost.

The electricity will also spur growth of factories, businesses and urban centres along the railway line, Ketraco added.

“The design of the SGR, initially run by diesel-powered locomotives, allows for addition of a single electric line that will be connected to Ketraco’s 482 kilometer 400 kV Mombasa-Nairobi transmission line,” the agency said.

The transmission line, billed as the longest and highest voltage transmission infrastructure in East Africa, has a transfer capacity of 1,500 megawatts (MW) which is 200 MW shy of the current national demand of 1,700 MW.

Source Link: The Business Daily
Lolest!
#1127 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 12:58:28 PM

Quote:
5.Raising the fare will surely reduce the number of travelers. As @Alma has noted, why should i pay 100 bob to syoks, 1200 to Mombasa, 200 to Mombasa CBD and buy an over priced breakfast (chai na mandazi moja stale) for 200 bob when i can eat my chapati madondo at 100 bob and pay 1200 in Dreamline bus or Simba coach that drops me in Mwembe.

I haven't used SGR but I recently took a bus from Nrb to Msa

The TIME spent on the road would make me opt for SGR. And relative safety despite the cost difference
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
AlphDoti
#1128 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:13:32 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Quote:

I haven't used SGR but I recently took a bus from Nrb to Msa

The TIME spent on the road would make me opt for SGR. And relative safety despite the cost difference

When you do, you'll wonder what were you doing with those buses... SGR all the time. Best alternative after flight...
Iganamagana
#1129 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 1:45:01 PM

Fyatu wrote:

2. There was a peculiar ticket printing method whereby you have to queue on for your ticket to be printed by a teller.(lA teller like those in banking halls).IMHO, Kenya railways should let kenyans do this for themselves rather than those moody/hormone overdosed women tellers. 5 minutes to check-in time and Kenyans were still queuing waiting to be served.

4. The attitude of the train hostess and those people serving food on the train leaves alot to be desired. Wafanyi kazi huko wako na attitude mbaya which stinks of nepotism...They are very rude and arrogant these staff members. Imagine a young lady with two tois told to mop the floor coz one of her kids have poured yoghurt on the floor

5. An elderly mzee i am sitting with says that he thinks that these trains are overstaffed and he believes this is the reason for the inefficiencies. It seems that SGR has become an employment agency for our unqualified/undeserving relathieves who have refused to clean the toilets at the terminus and clean the yogho that kids spill on the train floor.

If @Ole itumbi reads this then he should let the powers that be that this is happening to save the situation ASAP otherwise it will be billions down the drain

I used the SGR twice last November and did not witness this. The staff were courteous and the only hiccup I faced was that lunch was never served (I was accompanied by children). Of course the snacks were expensive but this was expected and second time travellers were armed with their own. When you buy viazi on the highway, they tend to be more expensive than your local mama mboga. Things must have moved south very fast!

Simba couch for me is a no no when there is a flight or SGR option. The accident scenes I have witnessed on that highway coupled with the antics of truck drivers can lead to a heart attack.
Fyatu
#1130 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 3:47:49 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

I used the SGR twice last November and did not witness this. The staff were courteous and the only hiccup I faced was that lunch was never served (I was accompanied by children). Of course the snacks were expensive but this was expected and second time travellers were armed with their own. When you buy viazi on the highway, they tend to be more expensive than your local mama mboga. Things must have moved south very fast!

Simba couch for me is a no no when there is a flight or SGR option. The accident scenes I have witnessed on that highway coupled with the antics of truck drivers can lead to a heart attack.

I have used it today and have just arrived in my rented apartment. I use it at least twice a month to and fro Mombasa. I am talking about what i have observed this month(twice). Something needs to be done soon.
Iganamagana
#1131 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 4:27:13 PM

Fyatu wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

I have used it today and have just arrived in my rented apartment. I use it at least twice a month to and fro Mombasa. I am talking about what i have observed this month(twice). Something needs to be done soon.

The situation needs to be arrested before the situation gets worse.
hardwood
#1132 Posted : Tuesday, February 06, 2018 5:52:57 PM

Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

If this is happening under chinese management, what will happen when it is handed in a few yrs time to kiprotich to run?
Impunity
#1133 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 1:00:23 AM

hardwood wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

If this is happening under chinese management, what will happen when it is handed in a few yrs time to kiprotich to run?

That kinyesi bit in the terminal buildings is sickening if true.
How are the toilets onboard the train?Are they clean themselves ?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Fyatu
#1134 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:22:18 AM

Impunity wrote:
hardwood wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

That kinyesi bit in the terminal buildings is sickening if true.
How are the toilets onboard the train?Are they clean themselves ?

The kinyesi bit is true story. Some shady Kenyans signed off "I was here" on the walls. On board the train, the toilets are fairly clean but once in a while the uvundo sneaks-in into the coaches.However,during my trip yesterday, a middle-class Kenyan lady warned her 8-10 yrs old daughter not to seat on the toilet seat when the daughter announced she was heading there, suggesting the daughter squatted on the sit and hence high chances of missing and spoiling things for other users.
Fyatu
#1135 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 10:27:06 AM

hardwood wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:
Iganamagana wrote:
Fyatu wrote:

I shudder at the thought of the day when Kiprotich or Kamau or Musyoka will take over matters management. First and foremost he will employ his incompetent village mates and relathieves as engineers and head of departments and then there will be total mismanagement and looting. Look at the RVR meter gauge route and see the plunder
Musimo
#1136 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 2:10:24 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Tough times!

David ndii also told us that upgrading the old line would cure everything (World bank went to the extent of granting one of the companies some loans which are now due and equipment is being sold). Now, remind me how many companies have taken up RVR/old KR from Mombasa to Kampala, and why they never met their end of the deal....
Musimo
#1137 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 2:33:59 PM

[quote=Fyatu]I am inside(now..yaani sahii) the SGR train towards Mombasa. I must confess that today was a nightmare for most passengers especially the ones that booked online due to the following reasons.

A problem with the booking allocations computer/software. This problem was common on Rwandair, perks were you would be upgraded a class if you lack a seat in your class. otherwise re-assigning seats while in the plane was the norm with them, don't know whether they sorted that out.

How many guys get to the airport 5 minutes before travel and expect to get on the plane? On this, I think they should introduce a requirement that you should be at the train station 1 hr before departure, if only to cure this disease of arriving late by kenyans. Airports also print boarding passes for guys, all you need is to be at the airport in good time.

As @hardwood has suggested. Better yet,, if arrivals are set at a certain given time, two or three lounges/eateries would do quite well, especially for customers who don't want to buy in-train or are put off by prices on the train. Maybe to the extent of doing what club scratch along moi avenue does: buy drinks downstairs and go upstairs with them and enjoy the club accordingly.

Last I was on the train, there were some couples and individuals who thought of themselves as royalty, getting to a point of verbal abuse of the hostesses. Me and my boys were left to console her, get her smiling, had to buy her some alcohol to reduce her anger and embarrassment. Obviously with time, skin would grow thick and arrogance would kick in. Let's reduce this behaviours, remember we get what we give. Give sh*t, get sh*t. Give a smile, get a smile and a phone number for later on Drool

As most businesses do, demand rise = price rise. biz guys, what was the name of that curve/graph? The emphasis currently should be on improving connections as they had indicated, i.e Miritini-Town, Railways-Syokimau.

hardwood
#1138 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 2:49:40 PM

Musimo wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Tough times!

David ndii also told us that upgrading the old line would cure everything (World bank went to the extent of granting one of the companies some loans which are now due and equipment is being sold). Now, remind me how many companies have taken up RVR/old KR from Mombasa to Kampala, and why they never met their end of the deal....

How was govt going to upgrade this one. When your shirt is torn due to age, the best thing is to buy a new one, not more virakas.

Impunity
#1139 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 3:02:02 PM

hardwood wrote:
Musimo wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:
Impunity wrote:
Tough times!

How was govt going to upgrade this one. When your shirt is torn due to age, the best thing is to buy a new one, not more virakas.

It has been done elsewhere and succeeded very well
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

alma1
#1140 Posted : Wednesday, February 07, 2018 4:08:29 PM

Yesterday they were electrifying. Today they aren't

https://www.businessdail...279072-88lwe8/index.html
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?