wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

70 Pages«<4142434445>»
SGR Progress thus far
murchr
#841 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 5:48:09 PM

alma1 wrote:
hardwood yawa...ati Joho?

Anyway, at least this proves the point that on wazua there are those who get paid to say stuff, those that will say stuff just to sound happy and the minority who say stuff based on the reality on the ground.

As it stands now, the SGR is for the midro crass. Those that can afford to risk a trip to syokimau and miss a train. Then carry their bags in a boda boda from Miritini to Mombasa...

Ati parking in Mombasa. My fren you can't even leave your car overnight in Nairobi CBD now you want to leave it in Syokimau? Wacheni bwana.

The only way this railway is complete is when the last mile is complete. As it stands, the only people who find it complete are the paid bloggers who travel from syokimau to miritini and take videos. In their minds Syokimau is Nairobi and Miritini is Mombasa.

Hopefully no one will suggest another publicity stunt until the last mile is sorted. It reminds me of the Bush "mission accomplished" excitement before reality bit.

I agree with you...no Joho here

What is your issue really? Access road in Mombasa is in poor shape. Contractor yupo but kazi ni pole pole hamna haraka. Gari/tax//boda boda/busi zimo pia.

Access road Syokimau done but poorly finished just the kawaida Kenyan way. Thats why i asked ni Kenyan building code au namna gani. Id rather we give foreigners these jobs if we cant deliver.

And then dont forget these fellas

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hardwood
#842 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:06:05 PM

alma1 wrote:
hardwood yawa...ati Joho?

Anyway, at least this proves the point that on wazua there are those who get paid to say stuff, those that will say stuff just to sound happy and the minority who say stuff based on the reality on the ground.

As it stands now, the SGR is for the midro crass. Those that can afford to risk a trip to syokimau and miss a train. Then carry their bags in a boda boda from Miritini to Mombasa...

Ati parking in Mombasa. My fren you can't even leave your car overnight in Nairobi CBD now you want to leave it in Syokimau? Wacheni bwana.

The only way this railway is complete is when the last mile is complete. As it stands, the only people who find it complete are the paid bloggers who travel from syokimau to miritini and take videos. In their minds Syokimau is Nairobi and Miritini is Mombasa.

Hopefully no one will suggest another publicity stunt until the last mile is sorted. It reminds me of the Bush "mission accomplished" excitement before reality bit.

Hata wewe when you are putting up a house huko ruai or katani, you finish the house first and then think about the access road. And you do not refuse to move into your complete house eti until governor mutua tarmacs the road to your house. You move in and sort road issues later. Similarly wananchi didnt have to wait for access roads to be tarmacked before they could use the completed SGR.
hardwood
#843 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:17:59 PM

Also the tender given to the chinese was to build the railway, not building roads. It is the local govts that have failed to build roads to the "stage/station".
alma1
#844 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:24:29 PM

hardwood wrote:
Also the tender given to the chinese was to build the railway, not building roads. It is the local govts that have failed to build roads to the "stage/station".

Ok now it makes sense. It's Joho's fault. He's always wanted to undermine the gov't...Pray
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

Angelica _ann
#845 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:30:34 PM

alma1 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

Ok now it makes sense. It's Joho's fault. He's always wanted to undermine the gov't...Pray

So when Jubilee was planning the Railways, they never thought of the access roads. Typical Jubilee planning system smile smile smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
mkeiy
#846 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:31:20 PM

2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
2012 wrote:
So is there a safe parking within the stations where people can leave their cars if they are returning the same day or the next similar to the Airport?

If not, that's a huge opportunity right there!

If I may ask, what's the opportunity here?

The opportunity is huge! If they have a parking lot then you can offer security services and maintenance. If not you can lease or buy land nearby and create a safe parking lot. Why use a taxi if your vehicle is cheaper for a same day return trip? In the US, people leave their cars in a lot, take the train to work and take their vehicles home in the evening or night.

Really?

What will be the ROI?
Bigchick
#847 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:38:53 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
alma1 wrote:
hardwood wrote:

So when Jubilee was planning the Railways, they never thought of the access roads. Typical Jubilee planning system smile smile smile

UK and Jubilee ni baba Wa kambo.
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
mkeiy
#848 Posted : Thursday, June 15, 2017 6:40:05 PM

mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Some wonder why Mwafrika is behind in everything, it's some kind of reasoning I see here. These people opposing infrastructure expansion, go out there, visit the world we are eons behind.

Heck even if the SGR is double the cost, can you think outside the box on the pros, time saved, reduced congestion, quick flow of goods & services, roads damage, amount of cargo one round of train will transport etc etc. Nini mbaya na watu?? Lets review 1 Yr later and see. I recall people made noise on Thika Highway, these days wamenyamaza!

Heck, business is about profits and the margins are highest using road cargo for now, ceteris paribus.

At the moment, trucking on the road is cheaper & convenient.

I am wondering people who are not direct consumers of this SGR Cargo, are lecturing others.

@harrydre. As it is;
It's not saving time (congestion at ICD)& delays at Terminal 2 in Msa. Hence no such quick flow of goods.
It's expensive.

These are the ONLY major factors a consumer (exporter or importer) will consider. Once they are fixed, we won't have reason to use road. I will benefit directly. Why would I oppose such a thing?

Stuff like road congestion, amount of cargo moved per trip etc, those are for the masses.
Masses do not transport cargo, individuals and businesses do.
Fortunately, in business,it's more about business sense, unlike in our politics were other factors reign supreme.

At the moment,
Only @Essyk is seeing it as a consumer. She's going to try transporting using SGR Cargo, I am sticking to the road.
Acheni siaza za Jubilee/Nasa, hii ni Biashara;
@harrydre @Muchknow @Murchr @hardwood, what are you doing about it? Mwatumia SGR Cargo ama la?

SGR Cargo may not be cheaper, agents say!
Iganamagana
#849 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 8:01:16 AM

2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
2012 wrote:
So is there a safe parking within the stations where people can leave their cars if they are returning the same day or the next similar to the Airport?

The opportunity is huge! If they have a parking lot then you can offer security services and maintenance. If not you can lease or buy land nearby and create a safe parking lot. Why use a taxi if your vehicle is cheaper for a same day return trip? In the US, people leave their cars in a lot, take the train to work and take their vehicles home in the evening or night.

I thought Syokimau has such a parking bay?
#850 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 9:09:43 AM

mkeiy wrote:
2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
2012 wrote:

Really?

What will be the ROI?

100% if you are holding idle land. What's the ROI of the parking lot at the airport?
It's all up to how you market the service. If you target families, groups of friends going down for a night, business people... the list is endless. I will remind you once someone does it and I'm sure it is soon.

BBI will solve it
:)
mkeiy
#851 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 11:16:40 AM

2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
2012 wrote:

Really?

What will be the ROI?

100% if you are holding idle land. What's the ROI of the parking lot at the airport?
It's all up to how you market the service. If you target families, groups of friends going down for a night, business people... the list is endless. I will remind you once someone does it and I'm sure it is soon.

Really? 100% ROI?

You buy/lease,then turn around & say you are holding free land?

Depends on marketing. I ask what marketing?

The cars won't be that many. The only entity that can exploit this opportunity is KR. They already have the land. The rest nikuongea.
wazuaguest
#852 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 1:04:32 PM

mkeiy wrote:
2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
2012 wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
2012 wrote:

Really?

What will be the ROI?

Really? 100% ROI?

You buy/lease,then turn around & say you are holding free land?

Depends on marketing. I ask what marketing?

The cars won't be that many. The only entity that can exploit this opportunity is KR. They already have the land. The rest nikuongea.

After constructing the Parking Kenya Railways starts their own secure parking akin to the one in JKIA.Hata wewe utajipata ukitumia ya Kenya Railways!
Africa belongs to Africans.
Gathige
#853 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 11:49:16 AM

Elsewhere, Joho said he will resume campaigning on July 1, with a “major press conference” to be attended by all those who have been affected by the SGR.The governor said he will show that the SGR will hurt the economy and Kenyans are not getting value for money.

D- and economic analysis are worlds apart.

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Njung'e
#854 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 1:40:35 PM

Gathige wrote:

Elsewhere, Joho said he will resume campaigning on July 1, with a “major press conference” to be attended by all those who have been affected by the SGR.The governor said he will show that the SGR will hurt the economy and Kenyans are not getting value for money.

D- and economic analysis are worlds apart.

Bus and truck owners. The D-Maina fellow is not used to much competition in his line of "business". Someone remind him business has no emotions and he shouldn't expect much support during his "woieee" moment. Poor man!

http://www.nation.co.ke/...973908-aasgw2/index.html
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Shak
#855 Posted : Saturday, June 17, 2017 4:29:55 PM

Elephants are damaging the fences. Not goodhttp://www.the-star.co.ke/news/...s-destroy-fence_c1581400
Cheval
#856 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 9:08:18 AM

Swenani wrote:
TSi wrote:
I have a relative whose shamba falls on the SGR corridor, at least part of it at Kimuka just past Ngong. What are the payment rates that he should expect? How long does it take to be compensated?

How big is it? I can buy him/her off at 1.5M per 1/8th

@ Tsi, Seems your relative was my neighbour - @ DK44+200 or thereabout. That is the area a bit of activity is underway and with a road overpass along the cliff, some animals passage tunnel a few meters away. There was meant to be a 300m tunnel at DK43. .. but the rail route was deflected westwards slightly to avoid tunnel boring.
This deflection squarely fell on my plot and am elbowed out. Waiting for compensation news.

Swenani
#857 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 10:11:01 AM

mkeiy wrote:
mkeiy wrote:
harrydre wrote:
Some wonder why Mwafrika is behind in everything, it's some kind of reasoning I see here. These people opposing infrastructure expansion, go out there, visit the world we are eons behind.

Heck even if the SGR is double the cost, can you think outside the box on the pros, time saved, reduced congestion, quick flow of goods & services, roads damage, amount of cargo one round of train will transport etc etc. Nini mbaya na watu?? Lets review 1 Yr later and see. I recall people made noise on Thika Highway, these days wamenyamaza!

Heck, business is about profits and the margins are highest using road cargo for now, ceteris paribus.

At the moment, trucking on the road is cheaper & convenient.

I am wondering people who are not direct consumers of this SGR Cargo, are lecturing others.

@harrydre. As it is;
It's not saving time (congestion at ICD)& delays at Terminal 2 in Msa. Hence no such quick flow of goods.
It's expensive.

These are the ONLY major factors a consumer (exporter or importer) will consider. Once they are fixed, we won't have reason to use road. I will benefit directly. Why would I oppose such a thing?

Stuff like road congestion, amount of cargo moved per trip etc, those are for the masses.
Masses do not transport cargo, individuals and businesses do.
Fortunately, in business,it's more about business sense, unlike in our politics were other factors reign supreme.

At the moment,
Only @Essyk is seeing it as a consumer. She's going to try transporting using SGR Cargo, I am sticking to the road.
Acheni siaza za Jubilee/Nasa, hii ni Biashara;
@harrydre @Muchknow @Murchr @hardwood, what are you doing about it? Mwatumia SGR Cargo ama la?

SGR Cargo may not be cheaper, agents say!

Quote:
It will cost Sh50,000 to ferry a 20-foot container from the port to the Nairobi Inland Container Depot (ICD), according to Kenya Railways.
Truckers charge between Sh60,000 and Sh80,000 to ferry the same container from the port to Nairobi, depending on the weight and type of cargo.
“We have been paying the same rate to transport a container via Rift Valley Railways and really, if you look at other costs before goods are delivered at your door step, it might necessarily not be cheaper,” said William Ojonyo, the Kenya International Freight and Warehousing Association (Kifwa) chairman elect

This is a very pedestrian argument no wonder very many truckers are making losses.

Paying 100 shillings to travel in 3 days and paying 100 shillings to travel in 1 day doesn't have the same cost implication. One is definitely more expensive than the other even though the travel cost portion seems to be the same.

Will DHL, Bollore, Fedex among other logistics and cargo handling firms prefer road transport to SGR?

Any rational importer or business man will rather spend 10K more to have the cargo in 1-3 days rather than spend 10K less to have the cargo in 5-10 days. That is business sense!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
hardwood
#858 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:28:57 AM

SGR fully booked until next week. They should introduce another train.

http://www.the-star.co.k...dd-celebrations_c1583684
washiku
#859 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:10:27 PM

Rahatupu
#860 Posted : Wednesday, June 21, 2017 12:20:43 PM

[quote=hardwood]SGR fully booked until next week. They should introduce another train.

http://www.the-star.co.k...d-celebrations_c1583684[/quote]
@hardwood @impunity,why can't these trains make more than 1 trip per day.....Eg morning, afternoon and evening?