wazua Wed, May 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<34567>
Maurice Odumbe!
Alba
#81 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 10:55:00 PM

nakujua wrote:

@alba, I don't think the government should be tasked with building stadiums, I think market forces should be responsible for that - the moment we start building thoughtful business models around our sports then the stadiums, research and the rest will follow, then the teams and sports individuals and the resources associated with that will be self sustaining.
then the likes of odumbe can always find a paying role somewhere in that environment

Even in good old USA stadiums are highly subsidized by local governments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_subsidy

Govts build or subsidize stadiums because:

1. Building a stadium is a risky endeavor that only governments can partake
2. Building stadia and other sporting infrastructure will help create permanent jobs
3. There are numerous economic benefits that come with building stadia. Rather than list them here, you can find them online.

For example:
http://kenyapage.net/com...tter-stadiums-in-kenya/

BTW the notion that good economic models aroound sports will result in stadiums is a pipe dream. It does not even happen in Europe. When countries Germany, France and Brazil bid to host the world cup, the majority of stadium building costs were picked up by national and local governments.

In fact its the other way around: Building good stadia will enhance local sports which in turn will bring larger crowds and more sponsors.
Alba
#82 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 11:02:12 PM

@Nakujua
This is what the governor of Meru said while justifying the renovation of Kinoru stadium

The governor said his government sees sports as a major business for locals due to high number of people from within and outside the county that attend the events.

He said his county government was keen in making Meru Town, which is the biggest in northern Kenya, a centre for sports.

“When big teams come to Kinoru, people spent the night in our hotels. When Gor Mahia came to play Tusker FC all the hotels were full. I am told the presidential suite at Alba Hotel was also booked for three days," said the governor.

Right now Kenyans are obsessed with premier league. All that subscription money you pay to watch premier league is going to benefit only the British govt and its people.

If local authorities build better stadia , more kenyans will watch KPL, standards will rise with better money and instead of sending all that money to Britain, some of it will remain locally because instead of watching premier league, some fans in Meru and elsewhere will go to local games.

When I was in primary school there used to be a motto: Buy Kenya, build Kenya. Do not build Britain. They are already rich.
nakujua
#83 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 11:08:45 PM

Alba wrote:
nakujua wrote:

@alba, I don't think the government should be tasked with building stadiums, I think market forces should be responsible for that - the moment we start building thoughtful business models around our sports then the stadiums, research and the rest will follow, then the teams and sports individuals and the resources associated with that will be self sustaining.
then the likes of odumbe can always find a paying role somewhere in that environment

Even in good old USA stadiums are highly subsidized by local governments

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_subsidy

Govts build or subsidize stadiums because:

1. Building a stadium is a risky endeavor that only governments can partake
2. Building stadia and other sporting infrastructure will help create permanent jobs
3. There are numerous economic benefits that come with building stadia. Rather than list them here, you can find them online.

For example:
http://kenyapage.net/com...tter-stadiums-in-kenya/

BTW the notion that good economic models aroound sports will result in stadiums is a pipe dream. It does not even happen in Europe. When countries Germany, France and Brazil bid to host the world cup, the majority of stadium building costs were picked up by national and local governments.

In fact its the other way around: Building good stadia will enhance local sports which in turn will bring larger crowds and more sponsors.

I am not with you on hapa, if building more stadia will bring in crowds and more sponsors - how comes the other teams apart from gor and maybe the leopards fail to attract such dueing their games say at the big stadia like kasarani or nyayo.
not only football, there is usually handball, hockey, volleyball, basketball ... games that are ususally held at kasarani and nyayo stadium - and apart from some national team games the club games attract negligible groups of individuals mostly friends and family member who come to cheer.

remember hata huko usa, there is a lot of marketing and biashara around the sports clubs, even if the government offers subsidies in the construction of the stadiums, its the need for the same that drives that, not the other way round.
nakujua
#84 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 11:13:10 PM

Alba wrote:
@Nakujua
This is what the governor of Meru said while justifying the renovation of Kinoru stadium

The governor said his government sees sports as a major business for locals due to high number of people from within and outside the county that attend the events.

He said his county government was keen in making Meru Town, which is the biggest in northern Kenya, a centre for sports.

“When big teams come to Kinoru, people spent the night in our hotels. When Gor Mahia came to play Tusker FC all the hotels were full. I am told the presidential suite at Alba Hotel was also booked for three days," said the governor.

Right now Kenyans are obsessed with premier league. All that subscription money you pay to watch premier league is going to benefit only the British govt and its people.

If local authorities build better stadia , more kenyans will watch KPL, standards will rise with better money and instead of sending all that money to Britain, some of it will remain locally because instead of watching premier league, some fans in Meru and elsewhere will go to local games.

When I was in primary school there used to be a motto: Buy Kenya, build Kenya. Do not build Britain. They are already rich.

its not the stadiums that attract fans to clubs, its how well a club is marketed, and a good example is gor - hata if they decided to play in meru, I am sure the local stadium would be packed, the same can not be said of when meru fc (if at all kuna team kama hiyo, but I am sure kuna ka local team huko) plays in the same stadium.

lakini I am with you on supporting our local teams, its sad when even our leaders keep using the foreign teams they support in discussions - and threads about the epl and what is being transferred huko keeps so many of us on the edge.
propertyvaluer
#85 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:24:39 AM

My greatest Basketball Icon, Allen Iverson (will name my child when my wife gives birth after this great guy), Jersy No. 3, was among the best paid basketballers of his time. He similarly lived a larger than normal life, buying chains and watches worth 1 million dollars and gambling and partying hard. Right now, he is so broke, during his divorce court hearings, he publicly claimed that he couldn't even afford a burger, and out of pity, his former wife gave him 61 dollars, which he truly thanked her for. Life at times isnt just fair!!
Alba
#86 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 12:48:44 AM

nakujua wrote:

its not the stadiums that attract fans to clubs, its how well a club is marketed, and a good example is gor - hata if they decided to play in meru, I am sure the local stadium would be packed, the same can not be said of when meru fc (if at all kuna team kama hiyo, but I am sure kuna ka local team huko) plays in the same stadium.

The state of stadia are a HUGE factor. When people take their families to stadia they want to ensure that the stadia have good restrooms, good seats

Question: Even if you were a Thika United fan, would you take your family, wife, girlfriend, or children to a stadium with these sitting arrangements ?

Also Would you take them to stadia with filthy or non-existent restrooms?

Please answer both questions

- Building better stadia also means enhancing security e.g. the addition of CCTV cameras.
- Bigger stadiums also means clubs can get more revenue. For example, City stadium is in a convenient location for fans but is too small for big clubs like GM and AFC
-

And most important: If Kenya ever hopes to host big tournaments like IRB sevens or AFCON then they better get serious about building better stadia

And you Meru town. Even with a small stadium, the county witnessed a financial windfall when they hosted Gor Mahia.

Well guess what. Meru can draw even bigger crowds if they refurbish their stadium which currently only has a capacity of 5000. That is a paltry number. If Meru county wants to make even more money they can triple that capacity and potentially host Harambee stars matches.

County stadia can also host rugby, gospel crusades, music concerts, campaigns. All these are money making ventures for the county.

A stadium like Nyayo can make even more money via naming rights. Do you remember when Coca Cola offered KES 400m for naming rights of Nyayo stadium?

We need to look at the big picture.
Tazama picha pana
famooz
#87 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:27:16 AM

Atalaku wrote:
famooz wrote:
@ Alma,Happy New Year!
I think you are missing the point that people here are raising and it is the one about personal responsibility. There is only so much that the government can do;we all need to take responsibility for our lives,actions and by extension,our sources of livelihood.
The current state of Odumbe is sad,really sad,but that does not mean that people should just sympathize or even empathize without asking pertinent questions.....
Having said that,if there will be a reasonable drive to help him pick up pieces,I will participate....

Happy new year @Famooz... I think about you most of the times...

smile Happy New Year! See you when we go to make a toast for @smano
Siringi
#88 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 9:39:34 AM

Pray what to posts #81 ~#87 got to do with Maurice Odumbe and his tribulations ?
#just asking for a friendsmile
sema digressions
"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
Siringi
#89 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:07:00 PM

Saw this

"😖😡KQ makes money for everyone except the shareholder 😏😏 " overheard in Wazua
ecstacy
#90 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:22:16 PM

propertyvaluer wrote:
My greatest Basketball Icon, Allen Iverson (will name my child when my wife gives birth after this great guy), Jersy No. 3, was among the best paid basketballers of his time. He similarly lived a larger than normal life, buying chains and watches worth 1 million dollars and gambling and partying hard. Right now, he is so broke, during his divorce court hearings, he publicly claimed that he couldn't even afford a burger, and out of pity, his former wife gave him 61 dollars, which he truly thanked her for. Life at times isnt just fair!!

Allen Iverson fell this low?? Damn.
Atalaku
#91 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 5:23:26 PM

famooz wrote:
Atalaku wrote:
famooz wrote:
@ Alma,Happy New Year!
I think you are missing the point that people here are raising and it is the one about personal responsibility. There is only so much that the government can do;we all need to take responsibility for our lives,actions and by extension,our sources of livelihood.
The current state of Odumbe is sad,really sad,but that does not mean that people should just sympathize or even empathize without asking pertinent questions.....
Having said that,if there will be a reasonable drive to help him pick up pieces,I will participate....

Happy new year @Famooz... I think about you most of the times...

smile Happy New Year! See you when we go to make a toast for @smano

Definitely...I love babies...I even love it more when making them! Sad that I am padt that age... Let me know when we are taking thaavu na manemane to the baby!
nakujua
#92 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2015 6:42:15 PM

Alba wrote:
nakujua wrote:

The state of stadia are a HUGE factor. When people take their families to stadia they want to ensure that the stadia have good restrooms, good seats

Question: Even if you were a Thika United fan, would you take your family, wife, girlfriend, or children to a stadium with these sitting arrangements ?

Also Would you take them to stadia with filthy or non-existent restrooms?

Please answer both questions

- Building better stadia also means enhancing security e.g. the addition of CCTV cameras.
- Bigger stadiums also means clubs can get more revenue. For example, City stadium is in a convenient location for fans but is too small for big clubs like GM and AFC
-

And most important: If Kenya ever hopes to host big tournaments like IRB sevens or AFCON then they better get serious about building better stadia

And you Meru town. Even with a small stadium, the county witnessed a financial windfall when they hosted Gor Mahia.

Well guess what. Meru can draw even bigger crowds if they refurbish their stadium which currently only has a capacity of 5000. That is a paltry number. If Meru county wants to make even more money they can triple that capacity and potentially host Harambee stars matches.

County stadia can also host rugby, gospel crusades, music concerts, campaigns. All these are money making ventures for the county.

A stadium like Nyayo can make even more money via naming rights. Do you remember when Coca Cola offerend KES 400m for naming rights of Nyayo stadium?

We need to look at the big picture.
Tazama picha pana

sawa umeshinda, big state of the art stadium will work miracles on our sports - people will flock to the stadiums, cricket, handball, basketball even the games between say nairobi city stars against kra will fill the stadiums.

cricket will be revamped and we will gain the test status pap and the likes of odumbe would greatly benefit.

I agree, focus should be on the stadiums - if every county got a world class stadiums with all the amenities, the weekly gate collections would be enough to maintain them, and our sports personality would be well sustained and shifted away from the squalor most find them selves in.

hapo niko na wewe. smile
Alba
#93 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 4:57:02 AM

@Nakujua
I see you you are left with no option but to put words in my mouth. Are you related to kizee1 ?Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Better stadia are not the whole solution. But they are part of the solution for attracting crowds.

My take is that Govt should build a 20,000 seat stadium in Mombasa and possibly another in Kisumu and Nakuru over the next 5-10 years. A stadium in Mombasa will enable Kenya to mount a serious bid to host the IRB sevens. Currently the Kenya bid is a joke.

Additional stadia in Kisumu and Nakuru will enable Kenya to host tournaments like AFCON and maybe even FIFA U-17. All these are tournaments that give Kenya a chance to market its tourist sites. Once again I urge you to think big picture.

And these stadia will eventually pay for themselves.
obiero
#94 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 7:30:52 AM

that allen iverson story is a hoax

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
kaka2za
#95 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 8:26:53 AM

obiero wrote:

Are you sure? The guy is now worth $1M after earning $200M.
He still makes $60K per month from endorsements but his monthly expenditures are in excess of $360K mainly to creditors for jewelry and overdue mortgage
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
quicksand
#96 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 10:21:05 PM

kaka2za wrote:
obiero wrote:

He still makes $60K per month from endorsements but his monthly expenditures are in excess of $360K mainly to creditors for jewelry and overdue mortgage

Next? ....Floyd Mayweather.
The stories you hear of this guy are just incredible. If he doesnt acquire smarts soon that vast fortune will disappear the moment one of these young ones drop him in the ring.
Its a story that keeps on playing out regularly, why dont they learn?
Show some talent, and the sharks move in, convince financially naive talent to purchase acre-mansions, private jets, yachts, penthouses in glass towers in world's leading cities, jewelry and all other sorts of crap, making huge commissions....hangers-on flock by the hundreds.
They dont invest, dont seek financial advice, they immerse themselves in immense, obscene luxury, waiting on the next paycheck to finance it, when it doesnt come, its curtains.
Lewis Hamilton was also stupid to purchase that private jet. Those things really are for billionaires.
nakujua
#97 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2015 11:01:39 PM

Alba wrote:
@Nakujua
I see you you are left with no option but to put words in my mouth. Are you related to kizee1 ?Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Better stadia are not the whole solution. But they are part of the solution for attracting crowds.

My take is that Govt should build a 20,000 seat stadium in Mombasa and possibly another in Kisumu and Nakuru over the next 5-10 years. A stadium in Mombasa will enable Kenya to mount a serious bid to host the IRB sevens. Currently the Kenya bid is a joke.

Additional stadia in Kisumu and Nakuru will enable Kenya to host tournaments like AFCON and maybe even FIFA U-17. All these are tournaments that give Kenya a chance to market its tourist sites. Once again I urge you to think big picture.

And these stadia will eventually pay for themselves.

Sijui kizee, but I agree with you - the stadia idea is a good one for our sports, and as you say, eventually they will be self sustaining once we put them up.smile
Alba
#98 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 12:28:45 AM

Yep. Stadia should be financially self sustaining. As an example, teams that use City stadium for training pay Nairobi County Ksh 10,000 per day for use of the facility.

When Nyayo or City is hired, the minimum fee paid to the County is Ksh 20,000. In addition the county keeps 20% of gate collections. So a match between the Big two that raises Ksh 5 million means the county pockets Ksh 1 million.

For safari sevens which is a two day event with expensive tickets, the gate collection was Ksh 20 million. Which means SSMB pocketed Ksh 4 million !!!!!!!!!!!

The main reason stadia are still poorly maintained despite making all this money is because of misuse of funds. And thats where I say government is letting sports people down.,

And I havent even added the money they make from companies that wish to advertize at the facility which can also go into millions

Safaricom paid Ksh 55 million for naming rights of kasarani. If you take corruption out, more companies would bid. In 2009, Coca Cola offered Ksh 117 million for 3 years naming rights at Nyayo but the sports minister refused for political reasons.

A good stadium can be a cash cow for a county or state government in addition to paying for itself. Aside from sports, it can also host music concerts and other events.

bird_man
#99 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 1:39:27 AM

quicksand wrote:
kaka2za wrote:
obiero wrote:

Next? ....Floyd Mayweather.
The stories you hear of this guy are just incredible. If he doesnt acquire smarts soon that vast fortune will disappear the moment one of these young ones drop him in the ring.
Its a story that keeps on playing out regularly, why dont they learn?
Show some talent, and the sharks move in, convince financially naive talent to purchase acre-mansions, private jets, yachts, penthouses in glass towers in world's leading cities, jewelry and all other sorts of crap, making huge commissions....hangers-on flock by the hundreds.
They dont invest, dont seek financial advice, they immerse themselves in immense, obscene luxury, waiting on the next paycheck to finance it, when it doesnt come, its curtains.
Lewis Hamilton was also stupid to purchase that private jet. Those things really are for billionaires.

@quicksand,you just read my mind.Mayweather are the kinda guys who will be singing serekali saidia at 55yrs.No endorsements. No brand development. No other source of income. Gambling and spending.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
masukuma
#100 Posted : Monday, January 12, 2015 7:51:07 AM

Mayweather and Baloteli wasipojichunga!!! the future will not be kind to them. for people who still have issues with society's treatment of it's heros... just look around... hii ni 3rd world... you are living in
Quote:
a poor corrupt third world country.
ngojeeni serikali tu!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!