wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages«<23456>»
Maurice Odumbe!
TAZ
#61 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:50:59 PM

josimar wrote:
This is one sad story which even if You sit with any of His cricket teammates they will never open up. Grapevine is that Maurice was not the only one fixing matches , some of His team mates were also involved but never caught . Cricket was His life and when that was taken away from Him , he went down . But I recall that even after Him being banned , He lived lavishly for sometime before the coffers went dry. No one in the cricket world wants to touch Him and that is what pains Him.

I don't know him on a personal level but i have a feeling he never adjusted his lifestyle after the ban.....his story reminds me of Mike Tyson!
Forester
#62 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:54:30 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:
Where are the likes of Tikolo,Kamande, etc, those who played with him then?. Oh, i forgot in kenya people love you when you have cash and curse you when you are broke. I became orphaned in my early formative years. Nobody from my family wanted anything to do with me. I did not have grandparents, neither did i have siblings.What sustained me in school were my good results. In my 12 years in school, i can count the number of times i took breakfast. I would visit relatives at least to get something to eat and they would tell me in my face,that they had not planned for me in their meals. However,ever since i got myself a place in a top uni in Europe,relatives started communicating more often. Friends of my parents again remembered me. They disturb me often with donation for this and that. We Kenyans, we are a bunch of hypocrites. I empathise with Odumbe.

Pole sana @FullyKenyan.

Now to the eat frog question, do you contribute to heap burning coals over their heads ama unakaa ngumu? Truth is, they just 'like' you due to the fact that uko majuu.
Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs - Farrah Gray.
maka
#63 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:03:17 PM

josimar wrote:
This is one sad story which even if You sit with any of His cricket teammates they will never open up. Grapevine is that Maurice was not the only one fixing matches , some of His team mates were also involved but never caught . Cricket was His life and when that was taken away from Him , he went down . But I recall that even after Him being banned , He lived lavishly for sometime before the coffers went dry. No one in the cricket world wants to touch Him and that is what pains Him.

you should know your friends...
possunt quia posse videntur
digitek1
#64 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:07:01 PM

TAZ wrote:
"Eight prosecution witnesses, including Odumbe's former wife Katherine Maloney and two former girlfriends Caitlan Patterson and Katja Nilsson, testified against him."

Odumbe "In my case, the ICC approached my ex who had a bone to pick with me because we were no longer together. It is strange that these women, when they are with stars and enjoying the fame of dating a famous man, do not say anything. But the minute the relationship is over, they start making all sorts of allegations."

Anyway, he messed up and was punished for it mambo ya sijui he didn't do what is water under the bridge now.....hata jela kuna so many innocent people.

So miros were beneath him?
I may be wrong..but then I could be right
Alba
#65 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:21:06 PM

Most (99%) of sportsmen who represent Kenya do not make money that can last the rest of your life. Many are living miserably.

Government has let sportsmen down in so many ways. More ways than I have time to specify. But in this case, government can employ qualified sportsmen such as in the ministry of sports. To begin with, Hassan Wario is completely unqualified to be sports minister. His position should've gone to someone like Dr. Paul Ereng who should then hire other former sportsmen as his subordinates.

For Odumbe who represented Kenya well, there should be a path to redemption. He is still employable in cricket or elsewhere. Maybe someone will give him a chance after watching this.
McReggae
#66 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:22:46 PM

Odumbe was a superstar but actually playing for Kenya, his money was that of people like Injera et al, let us not imagine some multimillionaire who sunk millions with his lifestyle. Of cause but he could not be able to maintain the same lifestyle after he was banned from practicing his profession? Remember this was not just a simple getting sacked from your job whereby you can easily land another job or go into business. The guy was banned from all cricket activities for five years, meaning he could not even coach a high school cricket team or be a waterboy for a Division 3 side. Cricket was all he had known all his life, adjusting was not easy especially for one used to earning some good money compared to the average Nairobi hustler. Furthermore these guys were brought up in the slums near Sir Ali Sports club. Cricket is what took them through high school. Most did not go to college because they became full time cricketers after high school!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Njung'e
#67 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:34:49 PM

A government legislates,an individual regulates.I don't see how the government comes in here much as i sympathize with Odumbe's situation. In many countries,sports legends are honored by erecting huge and expensive statues in the middle of they home towns.Heck,that is not what Odumbe requires now....Again,how or why should the government come in when you plunder your wealth?...Tujipe shughuli!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
#68 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:45:59 PM

mpobiz wrote:
Its not morris who needs help. Its our government which needs help. Its shameful for a government to neglect its heroes.

I have much respect for Odumbe of years gone. He made us know and even get interested in cricket. I even followed the entire World Cup once because Kenya participated.

But sometimes we blame the government for all the wrong reasons.
Jamani, we even blame government for someone squandering his wealth? This man was a wealthy baller!
Sad

BBI will solve it
:)
Alba
#69 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 4:58:49 PM

With regards to government, I think there is only one person on this thread who has said that government should come to Odumbe's aid. That argument has already been rejected by a dozen other forummers so there's no need beating that dead horse.

However in general it is true that government lets down sports people. They deserve better from the government. Our government literally does almost nothing to help sportsmen and in fact hinders them in many cases. Yet it is quick to claim credit when sports people do well and quick to pose for pictures with them.

Govt can do so much more. I would reference for example the lottery system created by the government of Britain that funds British Olympians. Kenyan sportsmen have been pleading for a similar system and govt just keeps promising it forever.

Not to mention that in Kenya, politicians often promise to build sporting infrastructure then fail to do so. Is'nt it a shame that 98% of the stadiums in Kenya were built by the colonialists and since then our governments have not seen it fit to build new ones? I believe Moi constructed Nyayo and Kasarani and thats it. Two miserable stadia since independence. Most sports grounds such as Jericho sports grounds were also built by Wakoloni and our government leaders have proceeded to grab some of them. Yaani wakoloni treated sports people better than govts led by natives.
Fullykenyan
#70 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 5:27:38 PM

Forester wrote:
Fullykenyan wrote:
Where are the likes of Tikolo,Kamande, etc, those who played with him then?. Oh, i forgot in kenya people love you when you have cash and curse you when you are broke. I became orphaned in my early formative years. Nobody from my family wanted anything to do with me. I did not have grandparents, neither did i have siblings.What sustained me in school were my good results. In my 12 years in school, i can count the number of times i took breakfast. I would visit relatives at least to get something to eat and they would tell me in my face,that they had not planned for me in their meals. However,ever since i got myself a place in a top uni in Europe,relatives started communicating more often. Friends of my parents again remembered me. They disturb me often with donation for this and that. We Kenyans, we are a bunch of hypocrites. I empathise with Odumbe.

Pole sana @FullyKenyan.

Now to the eat frog question, do you contribute to heap burning coals over their heads ama unakaa ngumu? Truth is, they just 'like' you due to the fact that uko majuu.

Sina machungu. I pay Rent to some of them. Pay school fees to some of their children but am not stupid,i know they dont like me, they like my pocket.I can live with that. Am happy it happened to me early in my life rather than later. That helped me to adjust adequately.
Atalaku
#71 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 5:40:01 PM

famooz wrote:
@ Alma,Happy New Year!
I think you are missing the point that people here are raising and it is the one about personal responsibility. There is only so much that the government can do;we all need to take responsibility for our lives,actions and by extension,our sources of livelihood.
The current state of Odumbe is sad,really sad,but that does not mean that people should just sympathize or even empathize without asking pertinent questions.....
Having said that,if there will be a reasonable drive to help him pick up pieces,I will participate....

Happy new year @Famooz... I think about you most of the times...
Atalaku
#72 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 5:46:00 PM

TAZ wrote:
"Eight prosecution witnesses, including Odumbe's former wife Katherine Maloney and two former girlfriends Caitlan Patterson and Katja Nilsson, testified against him."

Odumbe "In my case, the ICC approached my ex who had a bone to pick with me because we were no longer together. It is strange that these women, when they are with stars and enjoying the fame of dating a famous man, do not say anything. But the minute the relationship is over, they start making all sorts of allegations."

Anyway, he messed up and was punished for it mambo ya sijui he didn't do what is water under the bridge now.....hata jela kuna so many innocent people.

......Pray
FRM2011
#73 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 6:43:40 PM

Fullykenyan wrote:

@fullykenyan, I salute you boss. Its always much better when you start the hard way. Life becomes easier that way. I guess Odumbe started with the easy part.

I know a CEO of one of the blue chip companies on the NSE who had a story similar to yours. The guy grew up with the grand mom. They were the poorest in the village. At school, teachers would use her grand mom, whose feet were jigger-infested, to warn kids not to go to bed without washing their feet. Of course no one wanted anything to do with family.

The guy was razor sharp in school and worked his way through campo and the corporate world to a CEO level. Now everyone runs to him for help and he always helps. He is my role model in life.
kaka2za
#74 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 7:38:36 PM

Just refer to the KBL advert and substitute death with penury.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
kysse
#75 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 8:23:29 PM

madollar wrote:
Always wondered why he never became a coach with so many clubs and international schools in east africa am sure with that CV despite the match fixing allegations someone would hired him. Ama ni pride

I know one jobless graduate who can't teach in a primary school cz he is too 'good,well educated and sweet' for that. Hata okoa jahazi ilimkataa.
Pride kills. Don't underestimate God when he comes to humble.
Prob comes when we decide to please friends and family by choosing a lifestyle we can't afford cz since we belong to a certain perceived class.

Why do we fail to see God in the fire?
He can separate one from friends and family,clean them up,a process which includes taking away one's idols and posessions. It's humiliating ,embarrasing and painful.That's where I see odumbe,in a process.So Why are we trying to curtail God's plan by rescuing him from the refiners fire? He is not yet ready, not dried up well for God' greatest blessings.
He needs to submit instead of fighting through alcohol,depression etc.
Odumbe read the story of job, human intervention cannot surpass God's final blessing. Don't skip a process however painful,one day you will be grateful for it's a stepping stone to higher grounds.
Be good and obedient and you shall eat the good of the land.
Kuteleza sio kuanguka. Rise up,shake off the dust and move.Stopping is a death penalty.
kysse
#76 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 8:48:13 PM

Alba wrote:
With regards to government, I think there is only one person on this thread who has said that government should come to Odumbe's aid. That argument has already been rejected by a dozen other forummers so there's no need beating that dead horse.

However in general it is true that government lets down sports people. They deserve better from the government. Our government literally does almost nothing to help sportsmen and in fact hinders them in many cases. Yet it is quick to claim credit when sports people do well and quick to pose for pictures with them.

Govt can do so much more. I would reference for example the lottery system created by the government of Britain that funds British Olympians. Kenyan sportsmen have been pleading for a similar system and govt just keeps promising it forever.

Not to mention that in Kenya, politicians often promise to build sporting infrastructure then fail to do so. Is'nt it a shame that 98% of the stadiums in Kenya were built by the colonialists and since then our governments have not seen it fit to build new ones? I believe Moi constructed Nyayo and Kasarani and thats it. Two miserable stadia since independence. Most sports grounds such as Jericho sports grounds were also built by Wakoloni and our government leaders have proceeded to grab some of them. Yaani wakoloni treated sports people better than govts led by natives.

A small quest.Do our sportswomen and men save for a rainy day? Do they have a sacco to help them in diff.times au too much money keeps them separate.

Honestly financial discipline and responsibility begins with you.The goverment can't even buy itself a hankerchief how do you surrender your fate to it?

Ion,Can someone check on fiatu and give us update?
He was last seen doing very very heavy laundry somewhere in kisii instead of being on track.
washiku
#77 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 9:06:48 PM

Too sad. We all make mistakes and thus in need of a second chance. Hope he has the humility and courage needed to start again, however small that would be.

This experience brings me to another issue I always talk about with friends. True friends are not those who calls you every weekend for heavy drinking spree, weekend out at the coast, Nanyuki not such... most of those always moves on when your fountain of dollars dries out. True friends are those who keep pestering you on that piece of land somewhere, that Sacco that is being formed, that Wazua site where blue section teaches people how to buy shares etc. A friend who calls you out if you are spending too much on alcohol instead of enjoying it all. Someone who was earning such good money and at 35 he didn't have a single asset which he could fall back to for capital to start a charcoal business brings to question even the kind of company he kept. Am assuming he is the kind who listens.
Alba
#78 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 10:07:03 PM

kysse wrote:

A small quest.Do our sportswomen and men save for a rainy day? Do they have a sacco to help them in diff.times au too much money keeps them separate.

Honestly financial discipline and responsibility begins with you.The goverment can't even buy itself a hankerchief how do you surrender your fate to it?

Kysse
I do not think you even read my post. None of your responses have anything to do with what I said. The very first sentence in my previous post makes it clear that I do not expect govt to bail out wachezaji. But I do have other expectations of the govt with regards to sports and the sportsmen and women.
nakujua
#79 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 10:25:51 PM

Alba wrote:
kysse wrote:

Kysse
I do not think you even read my post. None of your responses have anything to do with what I said. The very first sentence in my previous post makes it clear that I do not expect govt to bail out wachezaji. But I do have other expectations of the govt with regards to sports and the sportsmen and women.

@alba, I don't think the government should be tasked with building stadiums, I think market forces should be responsible for that - the moment we start building thoughtful business models around our sports then the stadiums, research and the rest will follow, then the teams and sports individuals and the resources associated with that will be self sustaining.
then the likes of odumbe can always find a paying role somewhere in that environment
Mukiri
#80 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 10:29:07 PM

kaka2za wrote:
Just refer to the KBL advert and substitute death with penury.

This Wazua will teach words! Now to the dictionary...

Who is Government? Especially in our third world where problems abound... Only God can help any one person. Infact anyone pointing a finger saying, so and so should help, is just but passing the bulk of responsibility. You are Government. You help him.

Proverbs 19:21