wazua Tue, May 7, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages<12345>»
Maurice Odumbe!
jaggernaut
#41 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 1:41:20 PM

alma wrote:
I'm trying not to comment on this as its too close to home. However, the snide remarks about his life made here can't go unchallenged.

I can authoratitively tell you that Maurice was worked on proper. For some reason, the cricket fratenity hated the guy. Even his own team mates disliked him. I call it envy. Because he was by far the best cricketer south of the sahara.

when you say that he was living the large life, do you know what you are saying? what did you want him to do, live in Kibera? the guy had more sponsors than you can count. And he was damn good.

I'm actually shocked to see him like this. Extremely shocked.

But more shocked by people who think that they are so clever in investing this can't happen to them.

Maurices problems have everything to do with corruption in Kenya.

Bank that one.

Fact is he took kenya's kind of corruption to the world stage. And got burnt.
masukuma
#42 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 1:42:47 PM

I remember my time in Pakistan when I went out buying stuff and they asked me "where are you from?" on answering "Kenya" their faces lit up and said "Odumbe!!" I laughed .... my wife was clueless to who Odumbe was.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
alma
#43 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 1:49:11 PM

Jaggernaut, you go and copy and paste all the media stories you can online. That's your perrogative.

I'm talking as someone who has met him and grew up with that whole cricket team huko park road.

Very few Kenyans can claim to be as generous as Odumbe. Very few can claim to have an iota of talent as compared to him

But people and circumstances led him to where he is. I'm even shocked you can quote media when we have situations on this forum where people steal land from primary schools and you support vehemently.

If for a second you think you are very far from his situation, then think again. Shit happens my friend, even to the best of us.

I take courage in the fact that he is stronger than I will ever be.

Maurice Odumbe's legacy has just began because he is going to be the leader he always was.

You go on with your gun touting insane people. I take my heros from another cup and I surely will help in this case. He helped me and that I won't forget.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
tycho
#44 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:01:07 PM

'I returned, and saw under the sun, that the
race is not to the swift, nor the battle to
the strong, neither yet bread to the wise,
nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor
yet favour to men of skill; but time and
chance happeneth to them all.'

Is Odumbe's life over? Are there limits to our opinion about him?

What about me, am I in a better situation? I can only see that to be in a better situation - a kind of 'autarchy'- is to discipline my mind and reconcile the body with the soul. And I recommend it to Odumbe to do the same.

Vallerrie
#45 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:01:50 PM

I shed real tears in the office watching this. Kenyans are so quick to condemn but my thing is, this can happen to any one! Life can change in a millisecond.
So what he lived a lavish lifestyle he was rich!
Human beings derive such great pleasure in seeing great people humbled,they build you up just to tear you down. Crabs in a barrel mentality I guess.
I'm not rich by any standards but I'm gonna contribute something for Odumbe.
Fullykenyan
#46 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:09:04 PM

Where are the likes of Tikolo,Kamande, etc, those who played with him then?. Oh, i forgot in kenya people love you when you have cash and curse you when you are broke. I became orphaned in my early formative years. Nobody from my family wanted anything to do with me. I did not have grandparents, neither did i have siblings.What sustained me in school were my good results. In my 12 years in school, i can count the number of times i took breakfast. I would visit relatives at least to get something to eat and they would tell me in my face,that they had not planned for me in their meals. However,ever since i got myself a place in a top uni in Europe,relatives started communicating more often. Friends of my parents again remembered me. They disturb me often with donation for this and that. We Kenyans, we are a bunch of hypocrites. I empathise with Odumbe.
famooz
#47 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:13:39 PM

@ Alma,Happy New Year!
I think you are missing the point that people here are raising and it is the one about personal responsibility. There is only so much that the government can do;we all need to take responsibility for our lives,actions and by extension,our sources of livelihood.
The current state of Odumbe is sad,really sad,but that does not mean that people should just sympathize or even empathize without asking pertinent questions.....
Having said that,if there will be a reasonable drive to help him pick up pieces,I will participate....
Atalaku
#48 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:16:57 PM

So...what is the government supposed to do...put him on a monthky stipend?
McReggae
#49 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:17:00 PM

jaggernaut wrote:
McReggae wrote:
Forester wrote:
If you get a chance to go to India ask the local folks where Kenya is and you'll get blank stares like you are from Mars. Now, for the few who know, ask them who is the current president, again same stares. Proceed and ask if they know Morris Odumbe and you'll get a wide smile with a comment 'Odumbe good spinner' then tell them you are the brother.Guys will line up to take selfies with you.

Apparently,Indians have never forgotten what Odumbe did to them in the cricket world cup back then.

Sad it has come to this. Saw him in a TV ad sometime back,he seemed to be doing okay, didn't know it would end up like this.

Very true!!
This guy was fixed by the same guys who fixed then Kenya Cricket Council chairman Sharad Ghai. He was caught up in local and international intrigues and ended up a victim. There was a war for control of Kenyan cricket between the Hindus, the Ismailis, the Bohras and the Jains. Even though majority of the star cricket players then were black Kenyans, the management of Cricket then and up to now was a preserve of the Asians, but the Asian were not united and were divided into their own social and religious groupings

Are you 100% sure he didn't pocket cash from bookmakers to fix matches? Fact is he was investigated by the International Cricket Council and found guilty.

http://www.espncricinfo....ntent/story/135260.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sp.../hi/cricket/3504870.stm
http://www.espncricinfo....ntent/story/135272.html[

Maurice was never fined for taking cash but for association, a crime for which many other Cricket players got very small fines compared to the 5 year ban he received, this just crushed him!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
McReggae
#50 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:19:39 PM

It is worth noting that the bookmaker he was accused of associating with has never been convicted for being a bookmaker, which is a criminal offence in India. The guy is still a respected movie producer in India.
kaka2za
#51 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:21:08 PM

From grace to grass, sadly some of us have never risen.
What do we do with those who have never had it easy?
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
McReggae
#52 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:24:30 PM

CRICKET was Odumbe's life. I know many 35 year olds who, if they lose their jobs, they will be completely ruined....yet they can still do many other things.ultimately break down.He was 35, at the prime of his cricketing, and was forecasting to make millions for at least another five years (cricketers generally retire past forty). He probably had no real savings at that time,you can postpone saving for a few months or even years which is normal, when you are in a high earning position But he was banned from all cricketing activities, and cricket was his life, so he could make no money for five years. Even the strongest among us would An injustice was committed to this man, and everyone just keeps condemning him. If I were him, I would sue the ICC and the then Kenya Cricket Association from wrongful suspension.
alma
#53 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 2:27:35 PM

famooz wrote:
@ Alma,Happy New Year!
I think you are missing the point that people here are raising and it is the one about personal responsibility. There is only so much that the government can do;we all need to take responsibility for our lives,actions and by extension,our sources of livelihood.
The current state of Odumbe is sad,really sad,but that does not mean that people should just sympathize or even empathize without asking pertinent questions.....
Having said that,if there will be a reasonable drive to help him pick up pieces,I will participate....

Happy new year Famooz

Don't mind me. This story is deeply touching. So I can be forgiven for getting a bit hot under the collar.

I don't think he's asking for handouts. When you see a man weeping, its not a handout matter. I'm sure he's not happy getting handouts.

But a bit of real reporting is required. Maurice never stole anyone's money or shamba. He never killed anyone. He made mistakes yes. But laughing at him and quoting shady sources doesn't help anyone.

This country's leaders worked to destroy this man. Fake charges then all his friends ran away from him.

What would you do?

He became a drug addict and a drunkard. Who wouldn't?

Judge lightly. Hii maisha sio yako.

Let the record books be written. Maurice did more for sports in this country than the so called leaders will ever do in their lifetimes.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
TAZ
#54 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:00:20 PM

"Eight prosecution witnesses, including Odumbe's former wife Katherine Maloney and two former girlfriends Caitlan Patterson and Katja Nilsson, testified against him."

Odumbe "In my case, the ICC approached my ex who had a bone to pick with me because we were no longer together. It is strange that these women, when they are with stars and enjoying the fame of dating a famous man, do not say anything. But the minute the relationship is over, they start making all sorts of allegations."

Anyway, he messed up and was punished for it mambo ya sijui he didn't do what is water under the bridge now.....hata jela kuna so many innocent people.
nakujua
#55 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:02:15 PM

as someone else has pointed out, it comes down to Ecclesiastes 9:11
jaggernaut
#56 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:03:07 PM

alma wrote:
Jaggernaut, you go and copy and paste all the media stories you can online. That's your perrogative.

I'm talking as someone who has met him and grew up with that whole cricket team huko park road.

Very few Kenyans can claim to be as generous as Odumbe. Very few can claim to have an iota of talent as compared to him

But people and circumstances led him to where he is. I'm even shocked you can quote media when we have situations on this forum where people steal land from primary schools and you support vehemently.

If for a second you think you are very far from his situation, then think again. Shit happens my friend, even to the best of us.

I take courage in the fact that he is stronger than I will ever be.

Maurice Odumbe's legacy has just began because he is going to be the leader he always was.

You go on with your gun touting insane people. I take my heros from another cup and I surely will help in this case. He helped me and that I won't forget.

The problem with you @alma is that sometimes you become so emotional about issues that it becomes difficult to discuss matters with you objectively.

Yes Maurice was your friend and was a generous generous man. And yes, he and his team also made me start watching cricket. I am not rejoicing about his situation. Far from it. I watched his interview last night and was greatly moved with sympathy. Its rare to see a man shed tears on national TV. Yes he is in a terrible situation especially considering "where he has fallen from".

But all I did was to cite the facts of this case, which boil down to match fixing, and quoted reputable sources such as BBC and ESPN which you are now dismissing as gutter press. My aim was for us to interrogate the facts and enable us to discuss the case objectively. That was before you had the emotional breakdown.

Fact is that Maurice was a great player and rose to unimaginable heights. He also had his whole future ahead of him. But his greed led to his destruction. And now everyone wants to blame everybody else except him. Yes he messed up his life. Things could have been much better had he stuck to the narrow path. And this should be a lesson to each one of us.

As I said earlier, make hay while the sun shines. For sportsmen this is very critical since they have a small window of opportunity when they are at the peak of their careers. The millions do not flow in forever, therefore use the money wisely and invest to prepare for the future when you will no longer be in the headlines, and also to protect you from any shocks that may occur and end your career prematurely eg. injuries, bans etc.

So what's the way forward? The guy needs to get into rehab asap. It was encouraging to hear him say that he had checked himself into rehab not long ago after he realized that he had an alcohol and drug problem. However he looks like he still has a problem. No. 2 would be to help him get on his feet again which could be via assistance from well wishers. No3 would be for us to sit back and pray that he successfully rebuilds his life.

maka
#57 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:12:03 PM

Ceinz wrote:
Now on JKL. What??? you mean one can fall this low after such fame. Lord, I dont wonna be famous.

There is nothing wrong with being famous,having wealth etc just know how to handle it...always remain humble and grounded.
possunt quia posse videntur
alma
#58 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:19:33 PM

please jaggernaut edit your facts so that we can discuss with facts.

Where exactly did you see Odumbe was guilty of match fixing? Please be very specific before you continue on the path of ruining the reputation of a man.
jaggernaut
#59 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:39:31 PM

alma wrote:
please jaggernaut edit your facts so that we can discuss with facts.

Where exactly did you see Odumbe was guilty of match fixing? Please be very specific before you continue on the path of ruining the reputation of a man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sp.../hi/cricket/3939711.stm

http://www.espncricinfo....ntent/story/135260.html

http://www.thatscricket....4/08/18/1808odumbe.html

http://www.espncricinfo....ontent/story/135253.html
josimar
#60 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2015 3:47:30 PM

This is one sad story which even if You sit with any of His cricket teammates they will never open up. Grapevine is that Maurice was not the only one fixing matches , some of His team mates were also involved but never caught . Cricket was His life and when that was taken away from Him , he went down . But I recall that even after Him being banned , He lived lavishly for sometime before the coffers went dry. No one in the cricket world wants to touch Him and that is what pains Him.