wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
Peculiar Diasporan habits
Fikira
#41 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 10:00:18 PM

Apricot wrote:
I know the topic was brought up to get a good laugh, but please realize there are many of us silent ones out there that don't fit any of these cliches. And making fun of us is hurtful.

I get it, some of us acquire twengs, adopt peculiar dressing habits and never speak our mother tongue, let alone Kiswahili. When we travel home we tend to think it is cool to show off the same.

But there is many of us who have been gone from home 10 or more years and still speak our mother tongue, dress normally and go un-noticed when in the streets of Nai. Cut us some slack.

And just for fun, if I say I do research, what would you translate that to mean? Impunity niambie.

Apricot, Thank you!!!

Sadly, this is not just what people say for laughs. I have received some very cold treatment from "friends" and even relatives the times I have visited (and I am not the twenging/show-off type) and have learnt to come home with no expectations, do what I need to do then leave peacefully. It is very surprising that when these same people choose to visit, they expect that I will drop everything, show them around while spending the same dollars they imagine I earned doing a menial job. Mwashangaza!!!
MaichBlack
#42 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 10:35:54 PM

There is one who had spent his whole life in Githurai 45, went to the US then came back 'visiting' after a year or so. A friend of his took him to Jambo Grill - Thika Road - for some Nyama Choma. The fellow kept asking "Are we safe here???"
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
murchr
#43 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 10:37:53 PM

ecstacy wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fikira wrote:
ecstacy wrote:
As for the ladies who return, what's with lecturing EVERYONE in customer service whilst on tweng mode??

But the customer service there SUCKS .. we just don't know why/how you put up with it!

Indeed customer service in Kenya sucks. It's rather peculiar that kenyans expect no one to say something about it esp when one is used to being pampered just for being a customer.

Customer service usually sucks in +254, but who says you have to assume EVERYONE in customer service sucks??

Example, once at Art Caffe and the summer bunnies call for service..waiter comes and they are not ready to order..so "we" chat for a cool 5mins on a busy evening as people are deciding what to order. Waiter indicates she will be back shortly when we ready to order..which she did another 5 mins later..the sanctimonious loud lecture she was given for "leaving the table unserviced" was appalling!!! classless.

I guess whoever you are talking about is not EVERYONE either. Funny thing is the best customer service you'd receive in Kenya will be found in the hospitality industry, the rest banks et Al are extremely poor.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
MaichBlack
#44 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 10:41:18 PM

KulaRaha wrote:
Another observation is when you ask what they're doing back in the diaspora, its so vague....

Oh I manage some buildings = janitor
Im in hospitality = flipping burgers at McDees

Just say what you do...unless....:)

And they share pictures of their apartments, cars etc. but always forget to share work place pictures!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
MaichBlack
#45 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 10:47:10 PM

Apricot wrote:

And just for fun, if I say I do research, what would you translate that to mean?

A test subject in some lab - New vaccines, medicine etc.

He he he. On a light note.
Wakanyugi
#46 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:07:08 PM

kysse wrote:
I know one who walks on air after returning from DRC.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Does he speak with a Lingala tweng?
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
D32
#47 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:09:33 PM

kysse wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Laughing out loudly

And this...

(You can enable the sound by clicking on the little speaker icon on the top left)

They tried to bury us, they didn't know we were seeds.
kysse
#48 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:14:06 PM

D32 wrote:

And this...

(You can enable the sound by clicking on the little speaker icon on the top left)

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

ooooh! dead## The short dark fellow looks familiar-Laughing out loudly kiburi..
wakanyugi kira.
nakujua
#49 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:40:46 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
KulaRaha wrote:
Another observation is when you ask what they're doing back in the diaspora, its so vague....

Oh I manage some buildings = janitor
Im in hospitality = flipping burgers at McDees

Just say what you do...unless....:)

And they share pictures of their apartments, cars etc. but always forget to share work place pictures!

smile what the lebron
Apricot
#50 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 12:05:59 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
Apricot wrote:

And just for fun, if I say I do research, what would you translate that to mean?

A test subject in some lab - New vaccines, medicine etc.

He he he. On a light note.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Applause
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
Impunity
#51 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 1:52:13 AM

Apricot wrote:
I know the topic was brought up to get a good laugh, but please realize there are many of us silent ones out there that don't fit any of these cliches. And making fun of us is hurtful.

I get it, some of us acquire twengs, adopt peculiar dressing habits and never speak our mother tongue, let alone Kiswahili. When we travel home we tend to think it is cool to show off the same.

But there is many of us who have been gone from home 10 or more years and still speak our mother tongue, dress normally and go un-noticed when in the streets of Nai. Cut us some slack.

And just for fun, if I say I do research, what would you translate that to mean? Impunity niambie.

You follow junguz with their dogs and collects the dog-poo from the streets and check if they have minyoo then drop them in the waste bins.

Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

ecstacy
#52 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 2:24:37 AM

murchr wrote:
ecstacy wrote:
murchr wrote:
Fikira wrote:
ecstacy wrote:
As for the ladies who return, what's with lecturing EVERYONE in customer service whilst on tweng mode??

But the customer service there SUCKS .. we just don't know why/how you put up with it!

Indeed customer service in Kenya sucks. It's rather peculiar that kenyans expect no one to say something about it esp when one is used to being pampered just for being a customer.

Customer service usually sucks in +254, but who says you have to assume EVERYONE in customer service sucks??

Example, once at Art Caffe and the summer bunnies call for service..waiter comes and they are not ready to order..so "we" chat for a cool 5mins on a busy evening as people are deciding what to order. Waiter indicates she will be back shortly when we ready to order..which she did another 5 mins later..the sanctimonious loud lecture she was given for "leaving the table unserviced" was appalling!!! classless.

I guess whoever you are talking about is not EVERYONE either. Funny thing is the best customer service you'd receive in Kenya will be found in the hospitality industry, the rest banks et Al are extremely poor.

True.

On this side of things, I think resident locals and their support systems need to socialize the future generations to learn to act and demand better, respectfully. Standards (even beyond the customer service industry) are low across the board.

On consumerism, I think maybe it's because we are still at a very basic bread and butter situation but with a growing middle class, demand for service quality will increase as disposable income increases. The continuous arrival of global brands could attest to this.
Muriel
#53 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 8:23:20 AM

One I know, a relative actually, went on the green card.

He came back a couple of years later to visit with a suitcase full of books for whatever he was studying.

Never saw him open even one book. He went back with them in peace.
Much Know
#54 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 8:46:08 AM

Nowadays my pals flash your mobile from mayuu, their excuse is it is much cheaper to call from here, unless they call via Skype where they will speak for hours and hours, so i prefer when they flash. Expect more flashing from majuu.
A New Kenya
Apricot
#55 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 3:57:56 PM

Impunity wrote:
Apricot wrote:

You follow junguz with their dogs and collects the dog-poo from the streets and check if they have minyoo then drop them in the waste bins.

Not vicious enough! But I'll take it. MaichhBlack got my ribs tickling. Ati lab test subject...
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
T10
#56 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 5:39:28 PM

Stupid people and the way mnapenda kuomba omba. I would rather wipe jungu's behind than live maisha ya pesa nane hiyo Kenya yenu.
ZZE123
#57 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 5:42:36 PM

T10 wrote:
Stupid people and the way mnapenda kuomba omba. I would rather wipe jungu's behind than live maisha ya pesa nane hiyo Kenya yenu.

Why use insults???????? Mavi ya kuku wewe!!!!!!!!!
The man who marries a beautiful woman, and the farmer who grows corn by the roadside have the same problem
ecstacy
#58 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 6:58:34 PM

ZZE123 wrote:
T10 wrote:

Why use insults???????? Mavi ya kuku wewe!!!!!!!!!

Why are people getting this personal? Kenyans have peculiar habits and so do diasporans. It is not a contest and just so that you know, some locals were once diasporans.
kiash
#59 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 9:43:12 PM

The funniest thing is that Kenyans in Kenya will laugh and criticize the diaporans on their peculiar habits. Is it a disaporan who complained the other day about ERC and fuel prices? You pay for 100Ksh for a litre of whatever then complain ati ERC are not doing their jobbo,how long do you need to work to afford a full tank ? ask a disaporan how long he needs to work to fill a full tank. The same ones who created traffic jam the other day on Mbs roas coz they had run out of fuel. Then walk and hitch hike with vibuyus.
kiash
#60 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 9:45:03 PM

Impunity wrote:
Apricot wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Boss , dogs have their poo corner these sides.