wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<5678>
Which books are you reading----recommend
Xymalos
#121 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 6:16:49 AM

Becoming by Michelle Obama. Its enjoyable to read.
Apricot
#122 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2018 4:46:40 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Apricot wrote:
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Bought this together with his book "Crime and Punishment", which I will read after.

Where can I get Karamazov in Nairobi?

I don’t know where to get the book in Nairobi. I bought mine at Barnes and Nobles in US. Perhaps you may want to try Amazon, although their price is higher than B&N.
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
tycho
#123 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2018 11:33:14 AM

Apricot wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Apricot wrote:
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Bought this together with his book "Crime and Punishment", which I will read after.

I don’t know where to get the book in Nairobi. I bought mine at Barnes and Nobles in US. Perhaps you may want to try Amazon, although their price is higher than B&N.

Prestige bookshop has most of these classics. You could also do book hunting at the so called 'inama bookshops'.

tycho
#124 Posted : Monday, April 01, 2019 4:30:42 PM

gk
#125 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 2:54:39 PM

tycho wrote:
Apricot wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Apricot wrote:

Prestige bookshop has most of these classics. You could also do book hunting at the so called 'inama bookshops'.

Where/which are the most reliable "inamas" in Nbi?
Angelica _ann
#126 Posted : Tuesday, April 02, 2019 3:06:21 PM

gk wrote:
tycho wrote:
Apricot wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Apricot wrote:

Where/which are the most reliable "inamas" in Nbi?

Inama are those guys on the streets selling books. You just have to loiter around. The one next on Moi Avenue next to family bank ATMs and the other on Tuskys next to Bomb blast memorial site are reliable. If they don't have, they will look for it, at a premium.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
tycho
#127 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:18:57 AM

'Jomo's jailor' by Elizabeth Watkins. A little gem from an Inama...
Lolest!
#128 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:28:51 AM

Sowing the Mustard Seed by Yoweri Museveni

And:

Freedom and After- Tom Mboya
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Swenani
#129 Posted : Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:29:47 AM

Banking Kes 500,000 per day by KRA staff
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Shak
#130 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:22:40 PM

archive.org:
A massive online library with so many books available free of charge. I see myself reading at least 50 books by end of this year. Highly recommended
Lolest!
#131 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:48:20 PM

The Kiterunner by Khaled Hosseini.

Had to buy after reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. The latter was more gripping.
Lolest!
#132 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 7:31:05 PM

Shak wrote:
archive.org:
A massive online library with so many books available free of charge. I see myself reading at least 50 books by end of this year. Highly recommended

Asante SanaApplause Applause Applause Applause
heri
#133 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2019 12:50:53 PM

I enjoy reading biographies/autobiographies

which other ones would you recommend. I have read the following

1.Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
2.The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder
3.Sam Walton, Made in America by Sam Walton/John Huey
4.The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and The Age of Amazon by Brad Stone
5. Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance
Lolest!
#134 Posted : Tuesday, October 08, 2019 2:01:40 PM

heri wrote:
I enjoy reading biographies/autobiographies

which other ones would you recommend. I have read the following

1.Shoe Dog by Phil Knight
2.The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder
3.Sam Walton, Made in America by Sam Walton/John Huey
4.The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and The Age of Amazon by Brad Stone
5. Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson
Shak
#135 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:38:23 PM

Lolest! wrote:
Caroline Elkin's 'Britain's Gulag'

A sad, embittering collection of accounts from detainees during the 1950s emergency. Brings to light facts like Winston Churchill govt's knowledge and permission of use of torture in detention just after WW2 where the Nazis were condemned for the same.

Torture included beatings(to death), starvation, forced labour (detainees labour gave us JKIA, Yatta irrigation & Mwea Irrigation schemes), castration, stuffing sand through mouth or anusSad

Life wasn't any better for those left in concentration villages. There was forced labour, beatings, rape, famine and many deaths

Not yet done with it but would recommend it for anyone interested in Kenyan history

This is such a difficult read. My parents lived through this period right in the heart of the violence but somehow came out unscathed. Parts of it ring familiar from the stories they told us but I now realize how much they censored them for the sake of our young ears. I feel a range of emotions: bitterness, hurt, disgust and I'm not yet halfway through....
heri
#136 Posted : Friday, October 11, 2019 9:28:42 AM

Shak wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

A sad, embittering collection of accounts from detainees during the 1950s emergency. Brings to light facts like Winston Churchill govt's knowledge and permission of use of torture in detention just after WW2 where the Nazis were condemned for the same.

Torture included beatings(to death), starvation, forced labour (detainees labour gave us JKIA, Yatta irrigation & Mwea Irrigation schemes), castration, stuffing sand through mouth or anusSad

Life wasn't any better for those left in concentration villages. There was forced labour, beatings, rape, famine and many deaths

Not yet done with it but would recommend it for anyone interested in Kenyan history

This is such a difficult read. My parents lived through this period right in the heart of the violence but somehow came out unscathed. Parts of it ring familiar from the stories they told us but I now realize how much they censored them for the sake of our young ears. I feel a range of emotions: bitterness, hurt, disgust and I'm not yet halfway through....

You realize we were cheated all along being made to idolize home guards .

You should also read 'Histories of the hanged'
Shak
#137 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:43:21 PM

heri wrote:
Shak wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

You realize we were cheated all along being made to idolize home guards .

You should also read 'Histories of the hanged'

I'll look for it once I'm done with this one.
madhaquer
#138 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 7:15:55 PM

I'm currently reading The Power Broker: Robert Moses and the Fall of New York by Robert Caro.

A wonderful insight on the politics of New York in the 1920's and 30's when the city was riddled with corruption and patronage. It's quite a tome, would recommend it to anyone interested in urban planning, public service and politrics.
#139 Posted : Sunday, October 13, 2019 10:12:17 PM

Shake Hands with the Devil (The failure of humanity in Rwanda) - Lt. Gen. Romeo Dallaire.

Lt. General Dallaire was in-charge of the UN mission in Rwanda at the time of the genocide.

A must read for you if you are the kind that's interested in true accounts of politics in modern Africa.

Chilling.

BBI will solve it
:)
tony stark
#140 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 8:16:28 AM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Where do I get this book please ....

Swenani wrote:
Banking Kes 500,000 per day by KRA staff