wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

16 Pages123>»
Why I'm Still Paying 110/= Plus at the Pump
MaichBlack
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:38:06 AM

Crude prices dropped to sub $100/= and now they are at $80/=. Why the hell I'm I still paying Kshs. 110/= plus at the pump for a litre of petrol???

For how long are we supposed to pay for inefficiencies, corruption etc. And why exactly are Kenyans so silent when they are being shafted left right and center?

The cost of energy impacts on EVERYTHING and it is amazing Kenyans don't feel the need to have a discussion on the same and demand for answers!

Don't just sit there. Make some noise. Wherever, however. It might seem inconsequential but remember the butterfly effect from chaos theory
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
jwatesh
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:39:03 AM

They still have oil bought at over $100 in their storage. Hence the small price reduction. If crude oil prices remain stable below $100 then there should be a further price reduction
Pesa Nane
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 10:53:52 AM

We pay current world market price 'in arrears'. New pump price guide will be released on 14 November 2014
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
kiash
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 2:15:29 PM

Actually the point raised is serious. Whenever the prices rise, the companies are ver fast at revising their prices upwards but not when it comes to revising them downwards.
They always say like @jwatesh ati they have to finish what they had bought before. I have never heard a thing on why they cannot finish what the had in their tanks if they had bought it cheaper before
increasing the prices upwards. If Kenyans do nothing, they will always be sc****d. I do not have the histroy but sometimes back even b4 the gava brought that famous tax ya fuel the price of the barrel had gone to more than 125$ there has been a reduction to 85$
about 40$ per barrel the best at calculations can tell us how much people are supposed to pay.
kyt
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 6:13:51 PM

why is it that its only in Africa where petrol stations have reserves, guys in US are paying 30% less in pump prices. where do there oil come from.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
mozenrat
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 5:05:59 PM

kyt wrote:
why is it that its only in Africa where petrol stations have reserves, guys in US are paying 30% less in pump prices. where do there oil come from.

Canada and Mexico.. They get more than half of their crude Oil from those two. then the Gulf countries follow.
jerry
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 7:51:48 PM

kyt wrote:
why is it that its only in Africa where petrol stations have reserves?, Guys in US are paying 30% less in pump prices. where do there oil come from?.

I thought the starter/initiator of this discussion had the answer since tne question marks "?" are missing. The more we keep quiet as some1 rightly put it, the more we are exploited. Let us join Omtata in the corridors of justice. Petrol should currently be selling at below 100/= at the pump.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Rollout
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:28:49 PM

mozenrat wrote:
kyt wrote:

Canada and Mexico.. They get more than half of their crude Oil from those two. then the Gulf countries follow.

Does it matter where you import crude from? There shouldn't be much difference between prices across all oil producing countries.

Developed countries have a better supply chain management( fewer middle men) and of course better consumer protection laws!
The optimist
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 6:42:21 PM

Rollout wrote:
mozenrat wrote:
kyt wrote:

Does it matter where you import crude from? There shouldn't be much difference between prices across all oil producing countries.

Developed countries have a better supply chain management( fewer middle men) and of course better consumer protection laws!

Well put. Lack of Efficiency,transparency and consumer protection makes all the difference.
muganda
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 11:51:24 AM

National Oil becomes first to set diesel price below 100, a shilling below regulator’s price http://www.businessdaily.../-/8joou0z/-/index.html

I found there's a concept called 'replacement cost profit' for oil companies which is the current cost of oil supplies. In a declining oil market, oil companies suffer losses from the stocks they hold. It appears ERC formulas protected importers a bit, at our expense of course.

shocks
#11 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2014 7:16:03 AM

how such threads get to 11 posts puzzles me
jerry
#12 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2014 8:04:15 AM

shocks wrote:

Enrich the thread!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
shocks
#13 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2014 10:24:52 AM

jerry wrote:
shocks wrote:

Enrich the thread!

There is nothing to say, everybody knows how the oil industry is regulated, the time lag btw. international prices and local prices, but you still find jobless corner complaints here
Kagame
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 02, 2014 11:11:56 AM

@shocks,are you saying that the contributions are unintelligent and U have the gauge to know which or the way threads natural flow should proceed.sometimes its not what's written but what unwritten that exposes the frustrations.the cartels should be dealt with by legislation.ooh my bad,the mpigs are part of the cartels.conclusion,price will continue to be high until ...well never hata kama tunakamua oil turkana.
MaichBlack
#15 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 10:10:11 AM

shocks wrote:
jerry wrote:
shocks wrote:

Enrich the thread!

There is nothing to say, everybody knows how the oil industry is regulated, the time lag btw. international prices and local prices, but you still find jobless corner complaints here

What people are questioning is the inefficiencies, corruption, the formula used etc.

Are you aware that at one point we were paying 10/= more per litre because of unnecessary demurrage charges occasioned by inefficiencies at the port. Add that to refining inefficiencies, pumping (hence fuel transportation by the more expensive road system) etc. and you will understand. What "regulation" does is simply pass these cost to the consumer! But the discussion might be too complicated for you.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
muganda
#16 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 10:49:55 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
shocks wrote:
jerry wrote:
shocks wrote:

Enrich the thread!

What people are question is the inefficiencies, corruption, the formula used etc.

Are you aware that at one point we were paying 10/= more per litre because of unnecessary demurrage charges occasioned by inefficiencies at the port. Add that to refining inefficiencies, pumping (hence fuel transportation by the more expensive road system) etc. and you will understand. What "regulation" does is simply pass these cost to the consumer! But the discussion might be too complicated for you.

BUT this time lag only appears (is clearly visible) when oil prices decrease - benefit to consumers is delayed.

Do we have tangible examples where murban crude oil prices increased, but due to time lag, the pump prices quoted in Kenya decreased due to old stock prices?

whiteowl
#17 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 2:45:31 PM

muganda wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
shocks wrote:
jerry wrote:
shocks wrote:

Enrich the thread!

What people are question is the inefficiencies, corruption, the formula used etc.

BUT this time lag only appears (is clearly visible) when oil prices decrease - benefit to consumers is delayed.

Do we have tangible examples where murban crude oil prices increased, but due to time lag, the pump prices quoted in Kenya decreased due to old stock prices?

Never! These formulas, time lag and old stocks only apply one way.
Swenani
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2014 3:57:25 PM

On monday, I expect the pump prices to be at sub 100,I have done an analysis and I think ERC is busy shafting us.

For the same period, May-Dec 2014, ERC prices have cumulatively droppedby a mere 7% while the world prices have cumulatively dropped by over 36%.For the world crude oil prices,I have taken the average daily prices to arrive at the corresponding ERC periods which runs from 15-14 of every month.

Month Pump Change
May-June 114.73
June-July 114.62 0%
July-Aug 115.86 1%
Aug-Sept 116.6 1%
Sept-Oct 111.64 -4%
Oct-Nov 110.89 -1%
Nov-Dec 106.8 -4%

Month World avg prices Change
May-June 103.28
June-July 104.64 1%
July-Aug 99.51 -5%
Aug-Sept 93.58 -6%
Sept-Oct 90.25 -4%
Oct-Nov 79.75 -12%
Nov-Dec 70.68 -11%

Todays crude oil prices are hovering around US $ 63.

I do not think the FX,refinery costs, and transportation costs are a major cause for the marginal drop in pump prices in Kenya
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
kyt
#19 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2014 4:58:09 PM

ERC are just shit
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Rahatupu
#20 Posted : Tuesday, December 09, 2014 7:01:38 PM

kyt wrote:
ERC are just shit

Shafting left right and centre.

BTW does anyone understand why they don't regulate LPG?