Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

30 Pages«<1213141516>»
Uchumi - A value play?
VituVingiSana
#261 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 7:21:37 AM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Plimsoul wrote:
While uchumi struggles, Nakumatt revenues hit Sh 70 billion!!! It was 40 billion just 3 years ago.

Clearly, the market doesn't wait for you to sort out your problems.

https://pbs.twimg.com/me...M1KxMXEAA-b0T.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/coac...atus/748500424521617408

When will Nakumatt list and share the wealth?

Careful. They have a lot of debt. Suppliers are bitching about late/delayed payments by Nakumatt. It just happens there is no effective or substantial competitor so Nakumatt rules the roost.

The retail supermarket biashara is tough with lots of fixed costs. Even Warren Buffett got burned with Tesco (UK).

it must suck doing business with nakumatt.
It depends.
If you are a 'powerful' supplier, supply a product/brand that shoppers demand, for whom Nakumatt is but one outlet then you are OK.
I spoke to a supplier who said he needs Nakumatt for the distribution BUT what he sold was 'special' [whatever that means] he was able to negotiate timely payments AFTER he stopped supplying them. Apparently some customers contacted him to ask why his goods were not available on the shelf.

Unga also supplies Nakumatt but I think Unga's products are in demand [brand loyalty] so they can squeeze Nakumatt. I am not sure how Ennsvalley works i.e. do they give up a % of sales to Nakumatt or pay rent?

If you supply a commodity which Nakumatt can easily replace with another brand OR their Blue Label then you are out of luck.

IMHO, I think Nakumatt has expanded too soon, too fast and it is better off as a private firm rather than Wanjiku ending up with another Uchumi. Once Nakumatt has stabilized and has regular cashflows then a listing makes sense.

Another option is to have a listing with the understanding that it is a RISKY investment from the get-go, don't expect dividends for 5 years, expect Rights Issues, etc.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
The Great
#262 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 10:05:38 AM

Supermarket business is not very scalable. Nakumatt has reached its peak. Logistics are quite a hurdle for these companies. Even US investors advise to stay out of chains with branches all over the country.
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
The Great
#263 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 10:08:32 AM

Theres no chance of arbitrage for a "market leader" company. Spreads very low. Competitors all competing on price alone.
"Buy when there's blood in the streets, even if the blood is your own."
VituVingiSana
#264 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 10:13:08 AM

The Great wrote:
Supermarket business is not very scalable. Nakumatt has reached its peak. Logistics are quite a hurdle for these companies. Even US investors advise to stay out of chains with branches all over the country.
Though Walmart [a department store] did very well over the years...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
iris
#265 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 12:33:17 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Plimsoul wrote:
While uchumi struggles, Nakumatt revenues hit Sh 70 billion!!! It was 40 billion just 3 years ago.

Clearly, the market doesn't wait for you to sort out your problems.

https://pbs.twimg.com/me...M1KxMXEAA-b0T.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/coac...atus/748500424521617408

When will Nakumatt list and share the wealth?

Careful. They have a lot of debt. Suppliers are bitching about late/delayed payments by Nakumatt. It just happens there is no effective or substantial competitor so Nakumatt rules the roost.

The retail supermarket biashara is tough with lots of fixed costs. Even Warren Buffett got burned with Tesco (UK).

it must suck doing business with nakumatt.

Yes, it does. They take 120 days to pay. And their bankers do not like them much either. Apparently, the turnover is huge but profiatbility margins are not so good.
watesh
#266 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 2:38:21 PM

The Great wrote:

Ati its peak? hahaha with a formal retail systems have just hit 30% penetration. Outside Nairobi there are very few supermarkets. As the economy grows, income grows then spending grows. Best places people leave their money are supermarkets. I encourage Nakumatt to grow even more with the quality they have been putting in. Their finance costs is their biggest problem but a simple IPO will fix this.
enyands
#267 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 3:15:23 PM

watesh wrote:
The Great wrote:

Ati its peak? hahaha with a formal retail systems have just hit 30% penetration. Outside Nairobi there are very few supermarkets. As the economy grows, income grows then spending grows. Best places people leave their money are supermarkets. I encourage Nakumatt to grow even more with the quality they have been putting in. Their finance costs is their biggest problem but a simple IPO will fix this.

Hope they have chosen the cleaner ways of making money than Chester house bank saga? ?
VituVingiSana
#268 Posted : Friday, July 01, 2016 9:59:02 PM

watesh wrote:
The Great wrote:

No.
IPOs in Kenya, are often about raising 'cheap' money not creating value. If Nakumatt raises funds in an IPO to improve processes, open new branches or invest in tech then value may be created. If it gets 'equity' from others just to pay down debt then there's no Enterprise Value created.

It's tough for all sorts of (genuine not briefcase/speculative) businesses in Kenya.

Crowding Out Effect: GoK is borrowing like crazy domestically and making credit expensive for PRIVATE concerns.

Borrowing & then wasting billions to fund KQ, Mumias, Panpaper, etc.
Borrowing to fund political offices.
Borrowing to fund recurrent expenditure that doesn't add value.

All this borrowing at rates at 12-20% [for medium to long-term debt] is a disincentive to INDUSTRIAL and AGRICULTURAL firms which often form the basis of sustainable development. An investor is often better off NOT expanding in the face of loans at high interest rates. Or investing in tax-free, risk-free T-Bonds at 12%.

IMHO, Nakumatt needs to cut back on its expansion and work on reducing debt:equity ratio by improving its processes, sales/sf and cutting down on waste/theft. [This applies to any number of businesses.]
watesh
#269 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2016 10:43:28 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
watesh wrote:
The Great wrote:

No.
IPOs in Kenya, are often about raising 'cheap' money not creating value. If Nakumatt raises funds in an IPO to improve processes, open new branches or invest in tech then value may be created. If it gets 'equity' from others just to pay down debt then there's no Enterprise Value created.

It's tough for all sorts of (genuine not briefcase/speculative) businesses in Kenya.

Crowding Out Effect: GoK is borrowing like crazy domestically and making credit expensive for PRIVATE concerns.

Borrowing & then wasting billions to fund KQ, Mumias, Panpaper, etc.
Borrowing to fund political offices.
Borrowing to fund recurrent expenditure that doesn't add value.

All this borrowing at rates at 12-20% [for medium to long-term debt] is a disincentive to INDUSTRIAL and AGRICULTURAL firms which often form the basis of sustainable development. An investor is often better off NOT expanding in the face of loans at high interest rates. Or investing in tax-free, risk-free T-Bonds at 12%.

IMHO, Nakumatt needs to cut back on its expansion and work on reducing debt:equity ratio by improving its processes, sales/sf and cutting down on waste/theft. [This applies to any number of businesses.]

With the cut throat competition in formal retail space, if you dont expand to a profitable spot someone else will. As long as a branch is profitable am all in for expansion.
IPO for expansion or clearing debt, its all the same thing. Clearing the debt will free up cash used in interest payments, expanding will increase revenues and maybe profits, they just have to pick the one with the higher return.
mulla
#270 Posted : Sunday, July 03, 2016 1:16:03 PM

Plimsoul wrote:
[quote=Ericsson]@Plimsoul
Out of that revenue how much profit did they make and how much debt do they have in their books

Actually here are some numbers for 2014:

Revenue: 51.6 billion
PBT: 305 million (823 million 2013, westgate?)
Debt: 15 billion

From a BD article: http://www.businessdaily...8/-/x9i5cz/-/index.html[/quote]

From the above figures it means their PBT is 0.59%. That profit margin is quite low.
obiero
#271 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:16:01 PM

Uchumi now at KES 2.90

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
robertosmith1
#272 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:13:03 PM

With more than a decade of service in the energy sector, Active Business Services is dedicated to working with business owners to effectively manage their energy costs by providing them with innovative products, custom tailored procurement strategies, and detailed energy assessments in natural gas and electricity use. Since its founding, the company has also expanded into the neighboring province of Quebec, where it offers the same comprehensive energy management and assessment services, active business services.
Spikes
#273 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 7:45:56 PM

obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

Load up to make a complete portfolio alongside KQ.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
obiero
#274 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:45:36 PM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Spikes
#275 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:24:36 PM

obiero wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

Like everybody else in Wazua, I perceive you as a venture capitalist. You take highest risks something weird and mysterious to average investor.
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
karasinga
#276 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:17:58 PM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

Like everybody else in Wazua, I perceive you as a venture capitalist. You take highest risks something weird and mysterious to average investor.

due to weak projection and weak momentum by the bears, expect a reversal soon
It's not over until I win
skype id: karasinga. email: kkarasinga@gmail.com
karasinga
#277 Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:20:19 PM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

2.5 is beckoning
Ebenyo
#278 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 7:14:55 AM

Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

This should be inscripted in wazua laws: When buying shares,use the technical perspective.When selling,use the fundamental perspective.
Towards the goal of financial freedom
karasinga
#279 Posted : Thursday, July 14, 2016 8:22:28 AM

Ebenyo wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Spikes wrote:
obiero wrote:
Uchumi now at KES 2.90

What do you take me for

This should be inscripted in wazua laws: When buying shares,use the technical perspective.When selling,use the fundamental perspective.

smile
Gatheuzi
#280 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2016 7:04:55 AM

Gvt is considering a dispatch of 1.2 B to Uchumi. Heard on news that final modalities are in the works to either structure this as a loan or equity.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.