wazua Tue, Apr 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

30 Pages123>»
Uchumi - A value play?
a_abbass
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:44:31 AM

What do you guys think about Uchumi?

The counter looks good and is a highly successful turnaround story, so why is the share price not going up?
No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than successful speculation - Robert Rhea
jawgey
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:52:17 AM

a_abbass wrote:

The counter looks good and is a highly successful turnaround story, so why is the share price not going up?

Because they are not yet out of the woods. They have numerous debts to settle, and a rights issue in the offing probably to expand and get their stores in 'shopable' condition.. Until then, guys are keeping away
Seeing is believing
Akenyan2014
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 10:53:52 AM

a_abbass wrote:

On the contrary it looks like a value trap with a heavy burden of expensive loans and increasing staff costs across the industry. I won't mind having it at sub 10 though
mkonomtupu
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:43:38 AM

a_abbass wrote:

you can get it sub 10 from next week. Price is what you pay, value is what you get
a_abbass
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:59:31 AM

mkonomtupu wrote:
a_abbass wrote:

you can get it sub 10 from next week. Price is what you pay, value is what you get

That seems likely, considering the fact that it goes ex-div on Monday.
I still like the prospects, especially inthe wake of a reducing debt burden. Moderate growth in EPS and book value.
I think this counter will shine once people wake up to the overstretched valuations in some of the key financials.
No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than successful speculation - Robert Rhea
mkonomtupu
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:11:40 PM

a_abbass wrote:
mkonomtupu wrote:
a_abbass wrote:

That seems likely, considering the fact that it goes ex-div on Monday.
I still like the prospects, especially inthe wake of a reducing debt burden. Moderate growth in EPS and book value.
I think this counter will shine once people wake up to the overstretched valuations in some of the key financials.

Yes but the management is not aggressive or innovative, there were some issues with suppliers not been paid on time in the last month as result the shelves were empty. They took loans from COOP, KCB and ICDC so finance costs are going up. The company then goes ahead to pay dividends and ask shareholders for a rights issue when the price is down.d'oh! d'oh! Why not pay bonus share and retain earnings?
I keep it on my watch list though
the deal
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:21:52 PM

The CEO looks bored or has run out of ideas.....maybe turn around CEO's are just good at turnarounds not driving a growth agenda.
Cde Monomotapa
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:30:58 PM

“The journey has started. We are not opening branches to please anybody, but in line with the economic growth in the region,” said Ciano.
the deal
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:44:26 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
“The journey has started. We are not opening branches to please anybody, but in line with the economic growth in the region,” said Ciano.

They been opening branches in wrong places thus average sales per store has not been increasing...competition has locked them out of all the prime spots in the CBD i.e those next to busy bus terminals...If I'm going to Kikuyu and my bus terminal is at Odeon you don't expect me to walk all the way to Aga Khan walk to shop at Uchumi and leave Tuskys near by...look at what happened to them in Westlands...Naivas just opened a branch next to the stage...since that branch opened i have never stepped in the Uchumi across the road smile
Cde Monomotapa
#10 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:56:13 PM

the deal wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

They been opening branches in wrong places thus average sales per store has not been increasing...competition has locked them out of all the prime spots in the CBD i.e those next to busy bus terminals...If I'm going to Kikuyu and my bus terminal is at Odeon you don't expect me to walk all the way to Aga Khan walk to shop at Uchumi and leave Tuskys near by...look at what happened to them in Westlands...Naivas just opened a branch next to the stage...since that branch opened i have never stepped in the Uchumi across the road smile

You've been lost smile Karibu. I'd say there is safer/easier parking at the Westlands branch and the Aga Khan one is mostly busy during lunch hours.

+ the value adds like booze, Cigs, Easy Coach (travel & courier) & Mpesa (ask Safcom how Uchumi drives numbers) attract/retain.

Security concerns aside, the KU branch should be a hit!
maka
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:59:53 PM

the deal wrote:
The CEO looks bored or has run out of ideas.....maybe turn around CEO's are just good at turnarounds not driving a growth agenda.

True they should have brought in a new guy to take charge of the next phase.
possunt quia posse videntur
the deal
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:09:47 PM

Cde Monomotapa wrote:
the deal wrote:
Cde Monomotapa wrote:

You've been lost smile Karibu. I'd say there is safer/easier parking at the Westlands branch and the Aga Khan one is mostly busy during lunch hours.

Just took a break from the madness but now I'm back, thanks for the welcome smile the Aga Khan one has a fast food restraunt inside...but the service has detriorated...I will not wish to eat there again smile ...I thought that was a brilliant idea of having those instore fast food resraunts but ala management is not focusing on them anymore given the deterioration in service...anyways most people do their shopping after work hours or over the weekends...thats the traffic Uchumi is missing...look on Thika road...Nakumatt everywhere...Uchumi just a ka small branch near the Juja stage...what a shame hahahaha! They need to bring that rights issue...if they tell me...they will be more aggressive locally (per capita income highest in the region) & more cautious regionally I will invest smile
Cde Monomotapa
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:06:16 PM

@deal, let's see. As they say, "Don't mistake activity for productivity." That must be what the CEO is alluding to.

The competitors might be swanky but how are their numbers, since being private? Could be even more dire!

Apologies. Was adding the following while you were replying to my post;

+ the value adds like booze, Cigs, Easy Coach (travel & courier) & Mpesa (ask Safcom how Uchumi drives numbers) attract/retain.

Security concerns aside, the KU branch should be a hit! (This branch alone comes with a guaranteed* catchment w/o having to compete on the main road - Thika Highway #smart)

As a btw, like Blankets & Wine & Uchumi Langata have a very lucrative relationship. ;-)
jawgey
#14 Posted : Wednesday, October 01, 2014 9:59:07 PM

Jonathan Ciano on citizen business centre.. watch out uchumis share price tomorrow .. smile
Seeing is believing
jawgey
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 01, 2014 10:01:56 PM

I guess it was a rights issue campaign for ciano ... 3 rights for every 8 shares held it is
Seeing is believing
mkonomtupu
#16 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 3:35:01 PM

Uchumi touches 8/= coming back to the stage where i last boarded. Prayers for the shareholders as they watch carnagePray Pray Pray

Kengen should learn from Uchumi
maka
#17 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 4:18:50 PM

Useless supermarket...
possunt quia posse videntur
Gordon Gekko
#18 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 5:50:30 PM

I learnt a very expensive lesson with the KQ/TN team. I'm not repeating the same mistake with the UCH/JC team. I will sit out my rights, unless JC is removed from the equation now. And to imagine he rakes in a metre and change each month - very painful.
sparkly
#19 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 5:56:44 PM

If only Uchumi had continued on the same trajectory they were on 14 yrs ago, I would be a very rich man!
Life is short. Live passionately.
Boris Boyka
#20 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2014 6:47:15 PM

sparkly wrote:
If only Uchumi had continued on the same trajectory they were on 14 yrs ago, I would be a very rich man!

@sparkly so you're poor than you were courtesy of uchumi,MSC,kk,...I see this 2014 wasn't on your side.....2015-2016 ni yako kuwa very rich.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!