wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Starting farming
ulemsee
#1 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2014 2:12:50 PM

Hi Kenyans,

I intend to begin farming in a few weeks time. I hope to grow onions somewhere on a farm that is close to a river.

What are the first things that I need to take into consideration before starting? Part of what I have been thinking about is erecting a mabati structure for the farmhand.

Also advise on how to go about getting this license from the government to allow me pump water from the river onto my shamba.
Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
― George Carlin
its2013
#2 Posted : Friday, September 05, 2014 4:32:09 PM

Hi, @ulemsee, I'm also a novice like you as I started earlier this year. Onions are part of what I am doing. My advice is that input from agricultural professionals such as extension workers from the ministry of agriculture or amiran etc is invaluable and if you can get such contacts in your area they can really help. They will guide you on every step of the crop cycle.

Before starting out the following would be great to do

-Budgetting. Like for any venture make a comprehensive budget with allowance for emergencies.
-Soil testing. From this you will get a comprehensive report and advice on the amount of manure and fertilizer to use on the farm. If there are diseases/pests in the soil you may also be required to fumigate before planting.
-Market research. Research where and how you will sell your harvest before you plant. Plant as per the market demands.
-It is good to house the farmhand. Getting the right employee was a challenge I initially faced as my first employee was lazy and eventually absconded work causing me a major setback but I luckily got another who is much more reliable.

Now, about getting a licence to pump water from the river... well, I am next to a river and I have a pump (everyone else around there has a pump too) but I am not aware of licences being required in that area. I hope to hear more about that from other contributors even as I consult around about it.
Pretty hurts
ulemsee
#3 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2014 5:25:58 PM

Thanks @its2013 for those very handy tips. (It's 2014 BTW Angel )

Have you ever heard of these guys?
― George Carlin
its2013
#4 Posted : Monday, September 08, 2014 8:35:36 PM

Karibu @ulemsee. And it sure is 2014 hehe.

I haven't heard of those facebook guys before though I once heard a friend mention a similar group but I guess I wasn't paying much attention. I see they even sell seeds. Well, I bought my seeds from East African Seeds Company. As for selling I am relying on the local markets near my onion project.
Pretty hurts
Ngong
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 2:09:34 PM

ulemsee wrote:
Hi Kenyans,

I intend to begin farming in a few weeks time. I hope to grow onions somewhere on a farm that is close to a river.

What are the first things that I need to take into consideration before starting? Part of what I have been thinking about is erecting a mabati structure for the farmhand.

Also advise on how to go about getting this license from the government to allow me pump water from the river onto my shamba.

Hi Which part of kenya are you intending to do the farming?
ulemsee
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:00:22 PM

Thika Garissa Highway, past 14 falls but before you get to Matuu, Ndallas
― George Carlin
Ngong
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:31:02 PM

Anybody doing farming in loitoktok,near tz border?
amorphous
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 02, 2020 9:37:03 AM

ulemsee wrote:
Hi Kenyans,

ulemsee, if you are still around..how did the venture go jameni? Did it succeed, did it founder? Updates on such threads would be so helpful to many.
Age and family mellows us all over time
McGill
#9 Posted : Monday, December 07, 2020 9:25:53 AM

I agree with you amorphous. An update will be highly appreciated.
newfarer
#10 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2020 10:04:14 AM

If everything else fails but your stomach is sorted ,you are over 90% sorted.in the hierarchy of needs ,food stands at the top.Lets go back to the factory settings.Lets go farming.Bring on the ideas.
For instance,if you had 50k and a good farm with water within 90km radius from Nairobi CBD , what would you do with it in an optimal manner and in the short term
punda amecheka
amorphous
#11 Posted : Tuesday, December 08, 2020 10:32:32 AM

newfarer wrote:
If everything else fails but your stomach is sorted ,you are over 90% sorted.in the hierarchy of needs ,food stands at the top.Lets go back to the factory settings.Lets go farming.Bring on the ideas.
For instance,if you had 50k and a good farm with water within 90km radius from Nairobi CBD , what would you do with it in an optimal manner and in the short term

Agreed. Especially if you own the shamba with no loans and you are otherwise financially independent Drool

Farming is freedom, security and control. And if and when the world falls apart with strange new things like corona rubbish, you are still well sorted.

As I said in my other posts..I would go for high value crops..pilipili hoho for example does well in a small piece of land if properly attended to. But I wiant to take things a step further and order tu-simple machines from Ali-Baba and make the real moolah by joining the big boys at the value addition stage.

Look out for "amorphous" branded products in every kitchen, restaurant, fridge and village hata huko Turkana in the coming years Laughing out loudly Drool
Age and family mellows us all over time
newfarer
#12 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2021 11:51:18 PM

ulemsee wrote:
Thika Garissa Highway, past 14 falls but before you get to Matuu, Ndallas

Still doing this ama kuliendaje
punda amecheka