wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

23 Pages«<34567>»
Mumias FY 2014
HaMaina
#81 Posted : Monday, September 29, 2014 9:54:34 AM

I don't remember reading this article. There have been a lot of talk of a rights issue but never a specific company to be bought. http://www.theeastafrica.../0/-/70n0rc/-/index.html
“You can get in way more trouble with a good idea than a bad idea, because you forget that the good idea has limits.” - Ben Graham
VituVingiSana
#82 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 2:31:09 AM

More bad news for Mumias

http://www.businessdaily...6/-/8t7pq9/-/index.html

Comesa will not extend Kenya sugar quota

“So far, we have accorded Kenya three extensions, which have gone past required limits of two safeguard periods. And all along, there is not much that the sector has achieved in line with the requirements,” said Mr Lipimile.

This implies that local millers will have to grapple with the presence of low cost sugar from Comesa countries, which will make Kenyan sugar uncompetitive in the market.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mlennyma
#83 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 6:45:57 AM

Its lifting of comesa safeguards which will hammer mumias last nail to the coffin
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
HaMaina
#84 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 9:02:01 AM

mlennyma wrote:
Its lifting of comesa safeguards which will hammer mumias last nail to the coffin

Question is what will Mumias and the Government do to cushion the fall, if there is one in the first place ??

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
“You can get in way more trouble with a good idea than a bad idea, because you forget that the good idea has limits.” - Ben Graham
edwinmukiri
#85 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 9:15:22 AM

All signs indicate that Mumias has no future in Kenya... its a no go zone for me
Bulls make money,bears make money and pigs get slaughtered.
mlennyma
#86 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 10:16:35 AM

We either withdraw from the comesa trading agreement or accept the lifting,comesa is bigger than one cry baby called mumias
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Aguytrying
#87 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 10:51:01 AM

Lifting of comesa rules is the shot it the arm that GK needs to streamline the sugar sector, dark days between then and the reforms
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
VituVingiSana
#88 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 10:58:24 AM

Withdrawing from COMESA is a no-no as we (attempt) become an industrial powerhouse in this region. Let Mumias (and others suffer) so they are forced to become efficient while we encourage other (food) crops we can export to the the region.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
actuarywahisa
#89 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 12:50:34 PM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Withdrawing from COMESA is a no-no as we (attempt) become an industrial powerhouse in this region. Let Mumias (and others suffer) so they are forced to become efficient while we encourage other (food) crops we can export to the the region.

I agree. Law of Natural Selection. If you can't keep up, kufa pole pole bila kelele nyingi! GoK would be forced to intervene instead of standing by and watch Kenyans in the sugar belt go jobless (Though I'm sure they'd adapt)!!

This is not just a Mumias Sugar issue. It's a Sugar industry Issue.Mumias is in a very tight spot. I think apart from the issue with the illegal sugar imports by it's former management, a lot of their problems are actually external (and macro in nature) and it will take more than just them to fix it.

What options exist apart from Short term cutting of expenses? Subsidy (During this time when GoK is cash hungry)? Diversification (Into real estate in the footsteps of "The Monkey" smile and others) and focus on widening their revenue base in general going forward? This tunnel bana?

I'd say good counter though for speculation because of volumes available and Price.
There are too many opportunities all around. Open your eyes and maybe you'll spot one
Njung'e
#90 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 1:21:04 PM

Comesa threat to Kenyan sugar industry is one big fallacy.If i may,is there a country in Africa that is a net exporter of sugar other than Mauritius?
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
jwatesh
#91 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 1:24:36 PM

Keep away from it. Cheap sugar is coming soon...unless govt imposes high taxes
mawinder
#92 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 1:35:19 PM

Njung'e wrote:
Comesa threat to Kenyan sugar industry is one big fallacy.If i may,is there a country in Africa that is a net exporter of sugar other than Mauritius?

None, but Kenyan businessmen head to Egypt rebag sugar from world over and export it to Kenya and allege it is from Comesa.
actuarywahisa
#93 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 1:43:35 PM

mawinder wrote:
Njung'e wrote:

None, but Kenyan businessmen head to Egypt rebag sugar from world over and export it to Kenya and allege it is from Comesa.

@Njunge

Just as @Mawinder said, the source of the cheap sugar not withstanding, it has made it's way into the country many times before even with the barriers, now imagine without barriers.

What if in the meantime Mumias and other companies shore their losses by being allowed to gain by being on the fore front of cheap sugar imports? Is this feasible?
There are too many opportunities all around. Open your eyes and maybe you'll spot one
streetwise
#94 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 2:56:23 PM

I guess so, let Mumias follow never ready route
Pesa Nane
#95 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 3:14:19 PM

mlennyma wrote:

Why continue wasting reserves with an unviable business? Redeploy the resources to other profitable ventures or close shop we share out whatever remains.

And anyway, who does want a burgain? (cheap sugar)
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
Kihara joni
#96 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 3:18:56 PM

I will go against the grain and buy at this low prices or even lower, would still buy at 1.40, Mumias can decide to import and pack the cheap sugar, when I was buying safaricom at 2.40/- I was told am crazy so I will BUY.
its2013
#97 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 7:55:07 PM

For as long as there is this uncertainty shareholders will suffer losses on the market but when a solution to the current troubles comes eventually (whether return to profitability, an acquisition or a ....) it will be sweet for investors who have bought in at current prices.
Pretty hurts
koxwex
#98 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 8:32:26 PM

waiting for the bull to fatten or to be slaughtered. win win for those who got in at 3 bob
deritsam
#99 Posted : Tuesday, October 07, 2014 1:07:44 AM

koxwex wrote:
waiting for the bull to fatten or to be slaughtered. win win for those who got in at 3 bob

Am baffled here...How is it a win win for those who got in at 3 bob while the share is trading at 2bob.
That's more like Lose Lose for those who got in at 3 Bob
Liar
target1360
#100 Posted : Tuesday, October 07, 2014 3:22:14 AM

Kihara joni wrote:
I will go against the grain and buy at this low prices or even lower, would still buy at 1.40, Mumias can decide to import and pack the cheap sugar, when I was buying safaricom at 2.40/- I was told am crazy so I will BUY.

safaricom was always profitable unlike msc which is basically just loosing money
I find satisfaction in owning great business,not trading them