wazua Mon, Apr 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

18 Pages<12345>»
Low End Housing: High Risk, High Return
josimar
#41 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 11:12:02 AM

Please share information on the cost of putting up the units.

Tbags
#42 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:03:26 AM

obiero wrote:
anyone with sample architectural plans for a studio apartment please share here..

I have a nice plan of bedsitter units on 1/8 plot.But I got to figure out how to post an image first.
Bigchick
#43 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 2:03:05 PM

Bigchick wrote:
Rahatupu wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
popat wrote:
I've just finished 40 units of bedsitters in Kahawa Wendani.With just usual finishes.Nothing fancy like shower mixers and cookers.You'll not belief it. am getting 10k per unit and they are all fully occupied.Location as earlier mentioned is the key determinant.

Well done.Applause Applause Applause

How much did the project cost you?Minus cost of land.

ION:-Are you married,if yes do you want a second,third or nth wife.

I have a "friend" who is available and can help you eat the rentsmile smile

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Ok @Popat.....have removed my "friend" from yhe scene.

Please share some details.

Am keen on foundation costs,room size,cost per room or per sqm

And once again good jobApplause Applause Applause

@Popat,am sure you have now settled after eating the deposit only.

Please favour us with the information requested.

Tuko saidi mbaya.To quote @Lolest "Saidia Maskini jameni"
Love is beautiful and so are those who share it.With Love, Marriage is an amazing event in ones life time, the foundation of joy, happiness and success.
Injere
#44 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:11:53 PM

Good post....that's why I love this groupApplause .

Anyone knows how many BS that can be done on an 1/8th?
ike
#45 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 12:52:17 AM

One question that has constantly boggled me is how to tie money paid to the amount of work done... usually construction workers are paid per day, which leads to excuses to prolong the number of stipulated days and thus more of your money.
Jodaco
#46 Posted : Sunday, February 22, 2015 5:28:56 AM

ike wrote:
One question that has constantly boggled me is how to tie money paid to the amount of work done... usually construction workers are paid per day, which leads to excuses to prolong the number of stipulated days and thus more of your money.

I suggest you use either one of the following:

1. Agree a lump sum amount for each task before work starts based on the fundi's quote. If the fundi quotes, say 16k, as the labour cost for walling, then that ought to be the fixed amount for that task. All you need to do is benchmark with nearby projects to ensure that you are getting a good deal. You can even get two other quotes and compare.

2. Pay per unit of measurement. For the walling example, you could agree on the cost per square metre. So, whether the guy does 5 or 10 square meters the cost per unit wouldn't change. Still, you'd need to monitor the pace of progress but the good news is that you'd achieve cost certainty.

Hope this helps.
african coloner
#47 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2015 12:22:43 AM

Prices of construction materials has been reduced. Steel down by 30%, cement to 630 ie according to Business Daily due to the low fuel cost
The optimist
#48 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:47:07 PM

popat wrote:
I've just finished 40 units of bedsitters in Kahawa Wendani.With just usual finishes.Nothing fancy like shower mixers and cookers.You'll not belief it. am getting 10k per unit and they are all fully occupied.Location as earlier mentioned is the key determinant.

Applause Applause Great achievement!!
Would you be willing to share how much it cost you?
Jitahidi
#49 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 12:56:20 PM

african coloner wrote:
Prices of construction materials has been reduced. Steel down by 30%, cement to 630 ie according to Business Daily due to the low fuel cost

This is the best news I have received this month. Am about to buy steel for a slab (Y12, Y16 & Y8)..that will be significant saving so I will find out where the prices hv been adjusted downwards
ike
#50 Posted : Tuesday, February 24, 2015 1:52:31 PM

Jodaco wrote:
ike wrote:

I suggest you use either one of the following:

1. Agree a lump sum amount for each task before work starts based on the fundi's quote. If the fundi quotes, say 16k, as the labour cost for walling, then that ought to be the fixed amount for that task. All you need to do is benchmark with nearby projects to ensure that you are getting a good deal. You can even get two other quotes and compare.

2. Pay per unit of measurement. For the walling example, you could agree on the cost per square metre. So, whether the guy does 5 or 10 square meters the cost per unit wouldn't change. Still, you'd need to monitor the pace of progress but the good news is that you'd achieve cost certainty.

Hope this helps.

yes it sure does help, especially number 2 because I had a very crafty foreman who'd have an excuse of raising the benchmark we set. thanks
lekamu
#51 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 2:06:38 AM

african coloner wrote:
kazee wrote:
obiero wrote:
anyone with sample architectural plans for a studio apartment please share here..

Let me share an advert i posted juzi on OLX. Hope it won't get deleted.

Bedsitters letting

Where did you buy those gas burners and at how much? Very noble idea

https://hotpoint.co.ke/35-hobs
Only Fools Have No Plan B
lekamu
#52 Posted : Thursday, February 26, 2015 3:36:05 AM

african coloner wrote:
kazee wrote:
obiero wrote:

Let me share an advert i posted juzi on OLX. Hope it won't get deleted.

Bedsitters letting

Where did you buy those gas burners and at how much? Very noble idea

Some options here
https://hotpoint.co.ke/35-hobs
Only Fools Have No Plan B
S.Mutaga III
#53 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2015 8:23:03 PM

With the stock market having counters at ridiculous P/E's, I decided to stay out of the market until sobriety returns. I find real estate a rather interesting venture, where in my personal opinion, eyes are normally deceiving. Mesmerized by the sector and green as they come, I did some digging. It turns out the average return on land around Nairobi is around 25% every year http://www.a4architect.c...d-nairobi-2000-to-2013/ ....I also discovered that the yields in real estate average the following depending on the target market...High end 9.2%, Low End 7% and Middle Class 5% as seen from this source http://www.a4architect.c...investment-yield-kenya/ ... therefore, from a rational point of view, considering an investor with who needs to park his money somewhere for five years, the best investment is in bare land where the returns exceed 100%, followed by the high end sector and then the low end market, the fence sitter (middle income market) comes in last. But currently, there is an oversupply in the high end market which means the returns are such that the guy who invests for the low end market gets the best returns, followed by the middle income and then the high end. Either way, I strongly think that an investor who purely invests in land and not the buildings gets the most returns by far. The only reason for him to worry would be if the government started taxing idle land which would prompt him to plant trees or fruits on his plots to avoid taxation. With pieces of land within a 50 mile radius from KICC still costing below 0.5 million in some areas with water and electricity, I think this is where I will be putting my money in the next two years or so. The population of Nairobi is expected to hit 8 million by 2025, and Nairobi contributes over 40% of Kenya's GDP. I think investing in these cheap plots within a 50 mile radius from CBD is the best strategy going forward when the market is terribly overpriced.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Gathige
#54 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 9:41:01 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
With the stock market having counters at ridiculous P/E's, I decided to stay out of the market until sobriety returns. I find real estate a rather interesting venture, where in my personal opinion, eyes are normally deceiving. Mesmerized by the sector and green as they come, I did some digging. It turns out the average return on land around Nairobi is around 25% every year http://www.a4architect.c...d-nairobi-2000-to-2013/ ....I also discovered that the yields in real estate average the following depending on the target market...High end 9.2%, Low End 7% and Middle Class 5% as seen from this source http://www.a4architect.c...investment-yield-kenya/ ... therefore, from a rational point of view, considering an investor with who needs to park his money somewhere for five years, the best investment is in bare land where the returns exceed 100%, followed by the high end sector and then the low end market, the fence sitter (middle income market) comes in last. But currently, there is an oversupply in the high end market which means the returns are such that the guy who invests for the low end market gets the best returns, followed by the middle income and then the high end. Either way, I strongly think that an investor who purely invests in land and not the buildings gets the most returns by far. The only reason for him to worry would be if the government started taxing idle land which would prompt him to plant trees or fruits on his plots to avoid taxation. With pieces of land within a 50 mile radius from KICC still costing below 0.5 million in some areas with water and electricity, I think this is where I will be putting my money in the next two years or so. The population of Nairobi is expected to hit 8 million by 2025, and Nairobi contributes over 40% of Kenya's GDP. I think investing in these cheap plots within a 50 mile radius from CBD is the best strategy going forward when the market is terribly overpriced.

@S.Mutaga III, I agree 101% on cheap plots. The appreciation on land is quite high especially where there are some basic utilities- Water and Elec- and the land is affordable. I consider prices >500k blacket as most ideal. Prices<1.5m are normally tricky. The only challenge with idle land is once you dispose it, though the one time income is high, buying alternative land is pricey returns less. I personally find it better to accumulate, accumulate, accumulate when prices are low, and then dispose and live on the income theraafter without further hustles. eg if you dispose land bought at max 2m for an accumulated sale of 10m over like 2 yrs, that's enough disposable income for another 5 yrs and then you dispose the next! My 2 cents

"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
tinker
#55 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2015 3:23:17 PM

As you make your decision, it is also important to contend with fact that, disposing a parcel of land normally takes longer time than disposing securities.

One lesson I came to contend with about land brokers is that, they can let go a customer who is willing and able to pay your price - If the customer does not hit their mark up price.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
S.Mutaga III
#56 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 5:47:11 PM

Gathige wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

@S.Mutaga III, I agree 101% on cheap plots. The appreciation on land is quite high especially where there are some basic utilities- Water and Elec- and the land is affordable. I consider prices >500k blacket as most ideal. Prices<1.5m are normally tricky. The only challenge with idle land is once you dispose it, though the one time income is high, buying alternative land is pricey returns less. I personally find it better to accumulate, accumulate, accumulate when prices are low, and then dispose and live on the income theraafter without further hustles. eg if you dispose land bought at max 2m for an accumulated sale of 10m over like 2 yrs, that's enough disposable income for another 5 yrs and then you dispose the next! My 2 cents

Which are the best places currently within a 50km radius from KICC with water and electricity and costing 0.5M or less? Thinking of Murera and Utawala areas. Any other ideas??
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#57 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 9:55:05 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Gathige wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Which are the best places currently within a 50km radius from KICC with water and electricity and costing 0.5M or less? Thinking of Murera and Utawala areas. Any other ideas??

-Utawala i hear is governed by very ruthless land gangs that are well connected politically that can swindle you and you wont take them anywhere

-Murera iko na ukora mob sana, excess actually. Brokers and unprofessional brokers had invaded that Ruiru videadly!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
enyands
#58 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 1:37:47 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Gathige wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

-Utawala i hear is governed by very ruthless land gangs that are well connected politically that can swindle you and you wont take them anywhere

-Murera iko na ukora mob sana, excess actually. Brokers and unprofessional brokers had invaded that Ruiru videadly!!

UpcomimgPaperChaser so where do you recommend a place to purchase under 500k per S Mutaga III that a little bit cosmopolitan and off political liability baggage
omhangla
#59 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 10:15:56 AM

would recomend kangundo road, tuala, kisamis for the 50km radius
Bachuma Gate
#60 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:59:48 PM

Tuala is the place to be. 25km from CBD. Cheap but neigbhourhood of Karen, Kitengela , Rongai expensive. So price is bound to go up sooner than later. It is also along the two fastest growing centers in kenya. Rongai and Kitengela.
DOH