wazua Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages123>»
Black Folk and Fear!
masukuma
#1 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:06:18 AM

Let's just say the truth - we fear everything, deep sea diving, living at the coast (tsunamis), flying and roller coasters as seen here

We tend to think we are brave folk but that is just our brain making excuses - do you think a black fellow would have done a columbus or a vasco da gama? heading out to parts unknown not knowing of the edge of the world was actual and they would fall off?
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Swenani
#2 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:17:53 AM

masukuma wrote:
Let's just say the truth - we fear everything, deep sea diving, living at the coast (tsunamis), flying and roller coasters as seen here

We tend to think we are brave folk but that is just our brain making excuses - do you think a black fellow would have done a columbus or a vasco da gama? heading out to parts unknown not knowing of the edge of the world was actual and they would fall off?

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Quote:
When black people listen to a white lady's advice, you know da real deal
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
XSK
#3 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:18:25 AM

masukuma wrote:

@Masukuma

I would clearly shit in my pants too! Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Hiyo height hapana! Pray Pray
You will know that you have arrived when money and time are not mutually exclusive "events" in you life!
mkenyan
#4 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:27:56 AM

gosh!!! that comment....Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly haven't laughed this much in a long while.
urstill1
#5 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:32:08 AM

masukuma wrote:

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Thanks man, you have made my Monday. I have always known black folks are not the kind of guys who can take risks. With us, every second in life is about survival and not fun. That's why the ratio of white to black people climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and Mt. Kenya is quite high yet the mountain are under our nose. We fear death because we are yet to secure our livelihood and that of our progeny. If I were to take such an initiative as sky diving, who'd take care of my family if I die? White folks don't worry about that!!
masukuma
#6 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:33:16 AM

when was the last time you ever saw a random african go on 'deep sea fishing' or even hiyo story ya surfing and scuba diving... for all we know THE KINGDOM OF DARKNESS IS IN THOSE WATERS... MERMAIDS, QUEENS OF DARKNESS AND OTHER THINGS LURK BENEATH THE SURFACE OF THE DEEP!
urstill1
#7 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:42:10 AM

masukuma wrote:
when was the last time you ever saw a random african go on 'deep sea fishing' or even hiyo story ya surfing and scuba diving... for all we know THE KINGDOM OF DARKNESS IS IN THOSE WATERS... MERMAIDS, QUEENS OF DARKNESS AND OTHER THINGS LURK BENEATH THE SURFACE OF THE DEEP!

I once tried Banana ride hapo Westy, I've never gone back. I enjoy mountain climbing and have done both Kilimanjaro and Kenya na zingine huko kwa kina @Kiash.
Muheani
#8 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:43:34 AM

What do you do when while you were growing up you constantly were reminded
1. dont point at the grave with the finger..you will die
2. If an owl like perches on your house..someone is dead...n they did die..
3. Dont go through the forest alone..u will meet the devil
4. Teenage boys-Dont Susu in bed...you will never get it up
5. Girls..dont play around with boys..they sting
6. Dont walk around at night..you will meet marimu
7. dont
8. Dont.

....men you FEAR
AlphDoti
#9 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:52:03 AM

I have laughed, my ribs are aching too. Because I can just understand what this dude is talking about!

You see, I won't say I fear, and I won't say I don't fear. Deep down I know this thing has been done to comply to physics by our engineer @impunity.

But, that feeling in the stomach is what kills me.

I know the thing won't crash just like that. It's like a plane. It only crash with some reason out of our control... pilot error, natural disaster, or some political reason (read shooting down or terrorist attack or CIA hijacking etc).

Again, I think out parents have to blame. Or do I say our environment?
We were raised being scared everyday, from all corners... from grandmother ogre stories, the xyz and the giant stories etc

Nobody told us these were imaginary stuff.
So we grew up having these crazy notions in our heads.

But the mzungu kid was even playing "real" virtual games at age 2 and he knows these are just games!
AlphDoti
#10 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 11:53:52 AM

Muheani wrote:
7. dont
8. Dont.

....men you FEAR

@Muheani this is exactly what I mean in my post above Applause Applause

Everywhere we were just being scared... from night stories to initiation ceremonies to some niosy birds at night! Why! d'oh! d'oh!
Um Sayala
#11 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 12:09:59 PM

Muheani wrote:
7. dont
8. Dont.

....men you FEAR

@Muheani, that highlighted point has blown your cover. I know you. kumbe the old Lady really scared you. Namwombea apone haraka.
"Peace is our profession, War is our business" ...Unknown
AlphDoti
#12 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 12:26:33 PM

Um Sayala wrote:
Muheani wrote:
7. dont
8. Dont.

....men you FEAR

@Muheani, that highlighted point has blown your cover. I know you. kumbe the old Lady really scared you. Namwombea apone haraka

My sisters were kept safe (my assumption, but I think it worked d'oh! ) by two scares from mother and grandmother:
a). Don't ever let boy hug you, you'll get pregnant and have a baby while you're still young. Take care!
b). Yearly examination of the socket by the grandmother.

I think it worked, because after they were married, they used to come thank her while she was still alive! And I could see the love, gifts, hugs and adoration they gave the grand.
tycho
#13 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 12:52:18 PM

masukuma wrote:

Fear isn't the only reason for an 'African' not to 'do a Vasco da Gama. Then again we must have a common agreement on what 'African' means. And what time spans are involved.
masukuma
#14 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 1:20:34 PM

tycho wrote:
masukuma wrote:

Fear isn't the only reason for an 'African' not to 'do a Vasco da Gama. Then again we must have a common agreement on what 'African' means. And what time spans are involved.

indeed you are right... by the way it's not only 'africans'.. coz I don't know of any red indian who goes bag packing into the dense african forests just for kicks! the problem (if any) is much more a cultural difference than a race thing. What do you grow up being told? is risking life and limb appreciated in your society or are you scolded when you try? it's much deeper. Tafakari hayo.
mkenyan
#15 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 1:57:21 PM

masukuma wrote:

we only know about those two coz their stories were told, written or recorded. now how many africans do you think ventured beyond their comfort zone but never got their deeds recorded? pretty many i believe. how many say sailed to other continents and settled there or came back but their tales were never recorded and or kept? there are however several stories of africans handling their fears well - courage is not the absence of fear....(add your favourite phrase there).
Swenani
#16 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 2:05:03 PM

mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:

we only know about those two coz their stories were told, written or recorded. now how many africans do you think ventured beyond their comfort zone but never got their deeds recorded? pretty many i believe. how many say sailed to other continents and settled there or came back but their tales were never recorded and or kept? there are however several stories of africans handling their fears well - courage is not the absence of fear....(add your favourite phrase there).

They say that its Africanswho first sailed to USA Africans discovered America before Columbus
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
masukuma
#17 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 2:16:51 PM

Swenani wrote:
mkenyan wrote:
masukuma wrote:

They say that its Africanswho first sailed to USA Africans discovered America before Columbus

that is why I agreed with Tycho on the time span of 'Africans'.... but we are talking about TODAY'S AFRICANS or maybe ... the last 500 years. Today we seem to be frozen by fear.... fear of this... fear of that..... I know kyuks who can not go to western/nyanza province since they fear witchcraft.... fear fear fear fear fear! some of the fears are of pretty innocuous things. But i guess it has everything to do with 'knowing' and accepting that 'knowing REAL dangers' is a much better than ignorant fear of imaginary things.
harrydre
#18 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:02:00 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
I have laughed, my ribs are aching too. Because I can just understand what this dude is talking about!

You see, I won't say I fear, and I won't say I don't fear. Deep down I know this thing has been done to comply to physics by our engineer @impunity.

I know the thing won't crash just like that. It's like a plane. It only crash with some reason out of our control... pilot error, natural disaster, or some political reason (read shooting down or terrorist attack or CIA hijacking etc).

We were raised being scared everyday, from all corners... from grandmother ogre stories, the xyz and the giant stories etc

But the mzungu kid was even playing "real" virtual games at age 2 and he knows these are just games!

I would say it has to be the environment. You see a traditional masaai for instance will grow up surrounded by lions and get used to them with nothing to fear. You try to put @kiash or his white friends under the same environment!

These rides have been known to get stuck in the air, or some folks have fallen to their deaths so there is every reason to fear.

PS: I would like to know where that ride is located. I don't even think Disney has such.

i.am.back!!!!
masukuma
#19 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:13:02 PM

harrydre wrote:
AlphDoti wrote:

I would say it has to be the environment. You see a traditional masaai for instance will grow up surrounded by lions and get used to them with nothing to fear. You try to put @kiash or his white friends under the same environment!

These rides have been known to get stuck in the air, or some folks have fallen to their deaths so there is every reason to fear.

PS: I would like to know where that ride is located. I don't even think Disney has such.

utashangaa sana na akina @kiash's newly acquired family

these folks are crazy sometimes.... umewahi ona youtube videos of people doing stupid and dangerous things? it's quite likely it's some white folk. look at this!

even if you understood the science behind it -how many of you would be part of this group?
tycho
#20 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 3:15:55 PM

masukuma wrote:
tycho wrote:
masukuma wrote:

indeed you are right... by the way it's not only 'africans'.. coz I don't know of any red indian who goes bag packing into the dense african forests just for kicks! the problem (if any) is much more a cultural difference than a race thing. What do you grow up being told? is risking life and limb appreciated in your society or are you scolded when you try? it's much deeper. Tafakari hayo.

Firstly, I can understand the fear that's gripping 'me' as an 'African'. The things I have heard and read, seen done, about Africa. But then the question of what one must make for himself is and has always been open. Regardless of lessons.

Freedom entails choice. To do or not to do. If you look at the history of Man you'll find a balance of goodness in all cultures.

I got a clearer view of the African by reading H.M Stanley's 'Through the dark continent'. Clash of values, and similarity in essence.

Vasco da Gama used a Ptolemaic Atlas. Was/is Ptolemy an African?

What's fear? How do humans become fearful? Can one learn not to fear? Can an African love life, himself, 'others', equally? That, ironically, is all that matters. It's the greatest one can do. Has the African done this?

Stanley says it over and over, the Africans were mostly so eager for brotherhood. Even when they marveled at the 'white Man'.

He(Livingstone) narrates an encounter with the people of 'Uhyeya' "a tribe who are decidedly lower in humanity than their 'ingenious' neighbors." People who ate all flesh except that of dogs. People who were rumored to be cannibals. Yet these people "were admirable for their readiness with which they supplied all our wants, voluntarily offering themselves, as guides to Uvinza, the next country we had to traverse."

Africans had all they needed. Even the most 'primitive'.

The Mayan Calender is still alive, it's going deep into the 'future'. Or the wisdom of the 'Aborigines'. So much Afrikana!