wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Investment Idea
S.Mutaga III
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2014 9:10:18 PM

My friend and I are thinking of starting a small company where we will own some shares and seek other people to invest in the company and in return, they will get shares too according to their contribution. In addition, we intend to run it as a holding company whose sole purpose is to invest in other companies. Since investing in stocks both at nse and in the OTC market is largely passive, we will just have a small office for a start. After receiving the cash from the investors, we will invest the cash and charge a 2% management fee and a 20% performance fee on all profits after tax. 10% will be kept as cash reserves for the company and the rest distributed as dividends to shareholders. Is this kind of business allowed in Kenya? What are the requirements? Some guys showed some interest in investing with us and we coined the idea.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
The optimist
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2014 9:51:15 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
My friend and I are thinking of starting a small company where we will own some shares and seek other people to invest in the company and in return, they will get shares too according to their contribution. In addition, we intend to run it as a holding company whose sole purpose is to invest in other companies. Since investing in stocks both at nse and in the OTC market is largely passive, we will just have a small office for a start. After receiving the cash from the investors, we will invest the cash and charge a 2% management fee and a 20% performance fee on all profits after tax. 10% will be kept as cash reserves for the company and the rest distributed as dividends to shareholders. Is this kind of business allowed in Kenya? What are the requirements? Some guys showed some interest in investing with us and we coined the idea.

Following..
Chaka
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2014 10:25:31 PM

What will happen should the Co make losses?Will you pay the shareholders an underperformance fee?
Mart_Consult
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2014 10:29:10 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:

Great idea...but wait...the devil's in the detail...let's take a look...

1. So will you be the major shareholders and thus main contributors to this company?

2. How long, if ever, have you worked with this friend?

3. The investors shall thus be passive. What's your track record in this private equity sort of business? Why should I, for instance, believe in you(r) (company)?? On a side note though, good picks in the 2014 thread...

4. So there will be no salaries for you both and remuneration only based on performance? What's plan B if a terrible financial year comes by for these subsidiaries/ associate firms?

5. Only a 10% cash retention policy...heh, even if you want to entice investors with high returns...keep some (more) Kshs. for other investments...and a bad day is always somehow around the corner...as of writing this two days ago, Berkshire Hathaway reported their H1Y14 earnings with 55 Billion USD in cash balances...looking for acquistions...

6. Finally, are you looking to invest in existing enterprises, startups, acquistions etc etc...each has its level of stability and return...investors need finer detail (I believe even potential ones here on Wazua)...

Well, as a sort of PE fund or Company read more on Kenya's first indigenous firm...Ascent or Ascend Capital (either not too sure, might be confusing the phone and fund's names!)

Ze best...!
I went into the (Ferry) industry knowing the same thing I knew with all other businesses I went into- Nothing. Then I built it from there. - Sheldon Adelson (Titans at the Table- Giants of Macau)
S.Mutaga III
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2014 9:10:38 AM

Mart_Consult wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Great idea...but wait...the devil's in the detail...let's take a look...

1. So will you be the major shareholders and thus main contributors to this company?

2. How long, if ever, have you worked with this friend?

3. The investors shall thus be passive. What's your track record in this private equity sort of business? Why should I, for instance, believe in you(r) (company)?? On a side note though, good picks in the 2014 thread...

4. So there will be no salaries for you both and remuneration only based on performance? What's plan B if a terrible financial year comes by for these subsidiaries/ associate firms?

5. Only a 10% cash retention policy...heh, even if you want to entice investors with high returns...keep some (more) Kshs. for other investments...and a bad day is always somehow around the corner...as of writing this two days ago, Berkshire Hathaway reported their H1Y14 earnings with 55 Billion USD in cash balances...looking for acquistions...

6. Finally, are you looking to invest in existing enterprises, startups, acquistions etc etc...each has its level of stability and return...investors need finer detail (I believe even potential ones here on Wazua)...

Well, as a sort of PE fund or Company read more on Kenya's first indigenous firm...Ascent or Ascend Capital (either not too sure, might be confusing the phone and fund's names!)

Ze best...!

We explained to some fat cats what we do and they asked whether they could invest maybe one million each for a period of two years and then from that they would evaluate the performance and know whether to terminate our services or continue using them. We wanted to know whether this type of business arrangement is legal because it is like a hedge fund with regard to remuneration. 2% management fee and 20% performance fees. We think it may be a good idea so that we can build a track record and perhaps become a hedge fund in future and get institutional clients.
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
Ash Ock
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:01:15 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:

We explained to some fat cats what we do and they asked whether they could invest maybe one million each for a period of two years and then from that they would evaluate the performance and know whether to terminate our services or continue using them. We wanted to know whether this type of business arrangement is legal because it is like a hedge fund with regard to remuneration. 2% management fee and 20% performance fees. We think it may be a good idea so that we can build a track record and perhaps become a hedge fund in future and get institutional clients.

Interested.

Following...
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
accelriskconsult
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2014 12:37:45 PM

1. S Mutaga there is no basis for retaining reserves in a hedge fund.

Whose money would you put in that reserve?

2. Justifying a management fee of more than 1% on contributions is a hard sell

3. Is there a hurdle rate below which you get no performance fee? How else would investors be sure that you are putting your best foot forward to generate returns?
4. How will you deal with the problem of having a very limited number of investments?
5. What is your track record and how much of your own money will you be risking?
6. Will the legal form of the entity be a Limited Liability Partnership or a Ltd Company?
7. Hedge funds operating with over USD 5 billion are at times run by no more that 2 people, why would you want to hire staff when there is you and a partner?
8. Are you familiar with the equalization and the serialization methods used to account for investors funds? If not, how will you overcome that challenge?

ChumsQuest
#8 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 3:58:06 AM

accelriskconsult wrote:
1. S Mutaga there is no basis for retaining reserves in a hedge fund.

Whose money would you put in that reserve?

2. Justifying a management fee of more than 1% on contributions is a hard sell

3. Is there a hurdle rate below which you get no performance fee? How else would investors be sure that you are putting your best foot forward to generate returns?
4. How will you deal with the problem of having a very limited number of investments?
5. What is your track record and how much of your own money will you be risking?
6. Will the legal form of the entity be a Limited Liability Partnership or a Ltd Company?
7. Hedge funds operating with over USD 5 billion are at times run by no more that 2 people, why would you want to hire staff when there is you and a partner?
8. Are you familiar with the equalization and the serialization methods used to account for investors funds? If not, how will you overcome that challenge?

Wololololo...where's @Mawinder?
Malik-A
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 10:23:21 AM

Seems like a hedge fund BM. Following...
mugz
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 06, 2014 12:49:36 PM

following...
valueinvestingkenya
#11 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2014 6:46:01 PM

its very legal I am about to start the same thing but I will be investing in offshore stocks mostly in US stock markets I have structured it as a hedge fund you can find some of my analysis in my blog valueinvestingkenya@wordpress.com all the best in your endeavors
Kason
#12 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 10:25:14 AM

I reckon it's a brilliant idea.

As has been mentioned however, the devil is in the details. The number of members/ investors will have to be limited to 50 (for a private company). Any more than that, the Regulatory Authorities will be on your radar.
madhaquer
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 27, 2015 6:15:52 PM

This is a noble idea. I can consider putting some cash in once I have more information regarding the calibre of the management and the investment targets.
I know some guys who did a round of vc fundraising in Nairobi last year and the results were great. I missed that boat though. I am watching to see how they perform.
derick
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 28, 2015 4:21:51 PM

madhaquer wrote:
This is a noble idea. I can consider putting some cash in once I have more information regarding the calibre of the management and the investment targets.
I know some guys who did a round of vc fundraising in Nairobi last year and the results were great. I missed that boat though. I am watching to see how they perform.

It sounds likea great idea.have you guys started and if yes how can one join?
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
ayushnehra
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2015 4:55:51 PM

@S. Mutaga III & @derick what are your contacts..I might have something we can work into..!
Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
derick
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2015 10:56:14 PM

ayushnehra wrote:
@S. Mutaga III & @derick what are your contacts..I might have something we can work into..!

Derikdemathew@gmail.com.
Get in touch
enyands
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 12:12:28 AM

derick wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:

Derikdemathew@gmail.com.
Get in touch

@derick your email address isn't working .Is it derickdemathew@gmail.com or Derikdemathew@gmail.com
derick
#18 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2015 1:09:44 PM

enyands wrote:
derick wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:

Derikdemathew@gmail.com.
Get in touch

@derick your email address isn't working .Is it derickdemathew@gmail.com or Derikdemathew@gmail.com

Pole sana bro its derickdemathew@gmail.com
derick
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 08, 2015 11:08:55 PM

derick wrote:
enyands wrote:
derick wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:

Derikdemathew@gmail.com.
Get in touch

Iam still waiting for your email.
derick
#20 Posted : Thursday, April 09, 2015 3:43:30 PM

derick wrote:
derick wrote:
enyands wrote:
derick wrote:
ayushnehra wrote:

Derikdemathew@gmail.com.
Get in touch

Iam still waiting for your email.

Boss hauko serious