wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

45 Pages«<4041424344>»
Is Taking a Mortgage the WORST Decision Ever??
UpcomingPaperChaser
#821 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:13:09 AM

alma1 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:
This is wazua. Here we are not naive. Let us be real. Real estate boom = money laundering boom.

So as long as the devolved government remains a free-for-all, as long as there is no jail time for corrupt bankers and big company managers, as long as gold scammers, wash wash boys etc are roaming free on our streets, as long as armed robbers are not being arrested, the property/money laundering boom will continue. All these other graphs, sijui financial projections, Hass Consult reports bla bla bla, is mostly just noise from people trying to sound intelligent. Let's be real here on wazua at least.

I agree with you. Not only are these corrupt cartels robbing the tax payer blind, they are also disenfranchising Kenyans from their land. They take our money and our land. Rather they had stashed these monies in offshore accounts at least the average mwananchi who works for honest wages would have a piece of the property pie.

The problem with the Kenyan property market is very simple. People have not been investing in land to make a profit, they have either been laundering money or sitting on it waiting for it to appreciate in value.

That is not investing.

Investing in land means that investors actually make use of the land. Not hold to wait and sell to another fellow who shall hold and wait, then hold and wait. With the idea that one day some day they shall be billionaires.

I blame that to lack of information. I trully do not see why I should use $10000 to buy an 1/8th of an acre in the bundus with a greenhouse.

While I can buy a piece somewhere in Florida for about the same and if I want a house some 5 million shillings.

Not only will I be assured that my property doesn't have a fake title, I can actually be able to give my kids citizenship in the land of the free and the brave.

Do not fall for this story that property prices don't go down. I'm a registered valuer in Kenya and another place. I can assure you, that unless you are planning on adding value to land, a crash shall surely come. The longer it takes to come, the harder shit shall hit the fan.

I was watching the chama show someone mentioned here. 90% of those chamas are like, we shall buy land then subdivide and sell. Sell to whom, another chama?

That's a pyramid scheme.

Now all chamas have an account at Unaitas or BOA and Rafiki. They are all buying land. Even wazua chama is buying land. Who the hell do you think is going to buy it if everyone is selling?

Kenyans let's not be slow here. The world economies moved on from owning physical assets to leasing someone elses physical assets. Uber, Amazon, Wayfair, Apple, even Microsoft is going into licensing.

You shall own your land but someone else shall lease it and make a billion as you wait for the property values to make you billionaires.

The only people who shall enjoy land are my parents who bought plots for 10k. You the young one had better think about something else. Coz their ain't no way I can pay you 50million for a plot when I can get a ranch in Australia with citizenship for that amount. Or try Canada.

Investing is not about love its about time. When I die you shall bury me one way or another. Or you can take the Prince route and just burn me to ashes and throw them into mogotio river.

Now couple that with the stupidity of getting a mortgage. People people. Americans who get paid every Friday could not be able to finance a mortgage at 7% max. Kweli wewe mkenya wa 80k who do you think you are to finance a mortgage at 20%. Man rent. Man rent. The rest of the money rent the land from the fellows buying PRC land and keep a cow.

Hongera sana bro, your sentiments are very professional. Am sure 90% of our fellow valuers in ISK know less about the concerns being raised here........I guess you must have been taught by Prof. Syagga, Prof. Olima, Dr. Konyimbi, Dr. Winnie Mwangi!!!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#822 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 2:29:44 AM

My thought is this, i am praying hard that one day Kenya will get a political leader with the vision of empowering his people and leading Kenya to new heights. Why do i say so, if we get a good president and governor, we will be able to have modern electric trains serving all the Nairobi outskirts. With opening up of infrastructure, namely education, hospital facilities with perfect roads and working rail networks traveling at 200 km/hr, people will be willing to live in Naivasha, Thika, Muranga, Konza, Machakos while working in Nairobi! this will ease the pressure and the demand for these astronomically exaggerated plots as people will prefer to buy cheaper plots far away from Nairobi. Personally, i would live in Naivasha if such trains existed!

Otherwise, in Zimmerman, there is an ownership arrangement called 'Toa Tugawe' where ten people contribute to buy an eight of an acre plot at about 10 million for the plots near the road. After buying the 50 by 100 feet plot, all the 10 members divide the 50 by 100 feet plot among the 10 members, hence for 1 million, a person ends up owning about 20 by 20 feet of a plot!!!!! this is how low the property ownership idea has stooped in Kenya!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
obiero
#823 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 5:49:14 AM

WalterWhite wrote:
Xymalos wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

You ask who is going to buy the land when chama's subdivide ready to sell? With a current population of 46 million people in Kenya and a population growth rate of 2%, --- the projected population in 10 years is 56 million people (10 million more people in just 10 years!). And most of population growth is in age classes that will be looking for places to settle. And because buying land to construct is always cheaper than buying already constructed house, there will be people willing to buy land in foreseeable future. As an example - I am not in a chama with several of my friends and we buy land from people who bought as chama members several years ago; especially in those places that are now well developed.

Those people who you are banking on to buy your chama plots in the future... where will they get the resources from? Most Kenyan youth are severely underpaid at their jobs (those who are lucky to be employed) and most are living hand to mouth. On the other hand, we see the prices of land literally doubling every 3-5 years. If a solid middle class person is feeling the pinch paying for a 1/8th in Nbi's suburbs, how about 10 years from now when inflation will have gone up but wages will remain stagnant? Is that middle class going to appear magically? I see a nation of severe wealth disparities, basically landlords and renters. Going forward, I think we will see an explosion of low income rentals, not an increase in property buyers...unless those prices come down.

@WalterWhite ... I am not in a chama, but do buy land owned by people who are members of various chamas. People's financial abilities increases with time. I'll use an example to illustrate that if you cannot afford a certain 1/8th now it does not mean that you cannot afford the same 1/8th ten years later. I remember Kahawa Sukari was costing 100K in early 1990 and several people I knew could not afford to buy. Yet, they were able to buy in mid 1995 for 300K; their financial abilities improved with time. And some who could not afford at 300K were able to buy early 2000 for slightly less than 1M. And I still see people buying the same plots for 6M+. Yes low income rental properties will increase, but those low income renters will strive to own 1/8th to built their own house. And they may be able to buy the same 1/8th that they cannot afford now - but will afford it 10 years later. Not every body - but some will.

You could say those Sukari plots have increased by 6000% in 20 years. A person earning 50k per month (? mid level bank manager) in 1994 should be making close 3 million p.m. today yet we know that's not the case. Wages for the poor and middle class are not increasing fast enough and that's a big problem. Wages and capital gains are increasing mostly for people who are already in the top 0.1%-1%.

The people you see buying said plots for 6 million today, in a fair market, should be buying land in Runda but they have to settle for Sukari. So you could say their standard of living went down.

20 years ago, the socio-economic class of people (based on income) who bought land at Kahawa Sukari now have to settle for Ruiru or Juja. And so on and so forth. The poor keep getting pushed to Nairobi's peripheries until a certain point where lack of infrastructure does not allow, for the sake of job proximity. These people inevitably become a permanent underclass of renters with no hope of owning property. Overall, the rich who are mostly in the political class are doing better than ever. There's some movement of people into the middle class but this expansion is tepid at best. Purchasing power and ability to absorb major shocks is still very limited.
10 years from now, do you anticipate that income (for all) will be on the uptrend to match cost of living?

1 bedroom apartments and bed sitters. Visit south B, Pipeline, Doni.. 8floors no lift. Its already happening

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
obiero
#824 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 5:59:02 AM

alma1 wrote:
Wanyee as much as I hate to say it, please read murchr's posts on the internet or take any business for example.

Business people do not buy land. They rent your house.

Since this is an investor's forum, let me ask you like seriously.

Why should I buy land for lets just say 1 million for an 1/8

Kenyan reasons

I million shillings shall become rental income of 15 1 bedroom houses for 10k each giving me a guaranteed 150k per month.

It sounds very nice until you hear KRA is busy looking for you matapakas and honesly 150k in Nairobi means you rent a house in Embakasi as you wait.

Wait, Wait. for the property appreciation. After all all property values go up.

Please do not compare yourself to your grandfather in 1970. There comes a time when prices flatline. In each and every business. Every business.

Now since we are in 2016. Some mama goes with the same 10k dollars to shaina. She buys a few bed spreads for 500 bob and sells them in facebook for the low low price of 2k. Her cost 1k her profit 1k.

Why the hell do you think you are seeing very many women going to shaina?

Then they come back and buy your kabroti. Not to sell it for a profit today but to hold onto it coz every Kenyan want's land. Why do you think they sell to you. When shit hits the fan she sells the land to you and goes back to shaina. She then sells you the sheeap branket for another of your 2k.

I just don't know what to say.

Whilst the youth in other countries have moved on to understanding the meaning of adding value, the Kenyan youth are still trying to be like our grandparents.

The stories of the young rich in Kenya are there for you to see. Instead of buying land Keroche decided to sell you beer. Now they own a house in Muthaiga. Instead of buying land, Lamudi has convinced each and every property firm in Kenya to pay them minimum 10k per month just to be listed.

Let me ask you with all sincerity. What happened to Tysons, Llyod Masika etc. They have gone so low that they pay a mbeberu every month to list their property. What was so hard for them to do it themselves?

Instead of buying land, you wazuan are busy making Jumia nigerian kids billionaires.

Lamudi, Jumia are making more returns in a day than the land buying Kenyan. Tafakari hayo.

You continue buying land. Unless you are a property management firm that has the skills to maneuver the market, I don't see why you should not be like nice and lovely, go to shaina and get a factory to manufacture.

I'm talking like an old man who has seen this wave pass me by. I really hope the young in Kenya don't waste time on land but waste their time on manufacturing and leverage.

Getting a Kenyan mortgage...means you are one of the most stupid humans in the world. Ati I pay you 25% and you give me 1% interest on my money. let me take it to karumaindo.

I may be one of the stupid ones who has a mortgage but I did it for my children . Incase Jesu calls me atleast my sons shall not be homeless

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
murchr
#825 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 7:06:45 AM

Let me weigh in my opinion just because my name has been mentioned by yours truly....

1. Is taking a mortgage the worst decision ever - Yes - If you are a raia who locked in an interest rate of over 10% and No - if you are like @obiero and CJ Mutunga who have rates floating at around 3%.

2. Will the market crash - I dont think so, because mainly very few people have taken mortgages 20K if am not wrong. There is a saturation tho in some property segments.

3. Is an 1/8 worth a million? My honest opinion no, not even in Nairobi. I have mentioned before that Nairobi is a "shit hole". The rich are running away, they want to be segregated (those who once lived in lavington moved to Windsor - Runda - the outskirts of Nrb) The developments that will attract money are those that are/will be zoned and planned. You might buy that 1/8 only for it to become a slum (isn't that what plots become). The infrastructure in Nrb is crumbling these past 2 days are good examples, soon people will move to more planned un-congested areas.

4. Alma's point - yes, the world is embracing leasing to owning in the hotel sector, AirBNB has chartered the way, what other business model is in the works? I see a Own-sell after several years - Own/lease later on. But most important dont just buy and hold. Develop and sell, or become like the Wazua landlord.

Justmy2cents - no research
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
hindsight
#826 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 11:55:19 PM

@Alma ,@murchr ,@WalterWhite & Like minds...Kudos & Keep up the great insights, 'right or wrong'...but mostly already vindicated now and in near future.

My quick take...
The world has gone through lots of changes..economically,culturally,spiritually,technologically,politically etc. Change is inevitable even in Land/property ownership.

Yester years..The native 'Elite' boys n girls + The Local cowboys benefited from the big ranches/land for agriculture production. Later on most of these ranches are no more (i.e Coffee,Flower,Maize/Sisal Farms etc)..eighther closed/being turned to commercial/gated communities hence some are selling (the land) as their original investment agenda has been caught up with modern way of life-economics & global changes & pressure. Hence they quickly exit-For obvious reasons-The land has lost the glitter & potential it one's had!

Hence,if you look at the 'mass' mwananchi land & mortgages investments in terms of viability & long run, the 'rat race' mentality holds a many in ransom. The tendency is to feel safe with a land/plot/mortgage investment where one money/cashflow in those investments would have been leveraged much better in better investments with a lot of reward n growth in gains.

Call me naïve,but regardless of attraction, does it makes sense to buy ksh 40 Million half an acre in Runda/Muthaiga North,then use extra + Ksh 10 Million to put up a residential house,just to have the association of the 'address' and social status ,where as you can achieve the same in beautiful great rift valley/beautiful country sides with ksh 7 million,where you will enjoy more rewarding life all factors considered. Then in 10-15 years the one's paradise results to being a just a kawaida neighbor hood whose glory has faded, and what you once ran away from becomes the norm and the experience becomes too familiar n painful.'unfortunately settling becomes the only option at this point for many' as they lack the energy to start all over.

Bottom line, always let your future align with your goals and the local as well as global trends. The only similarity on all of this is change=liquidity=flexibility=freedom. Hence if you have to invest in real estate ,always ensure is a flexible option that works for you,not you work for it. Remember if others are doing it ,don't.As the bubble comes and makes a many look like fools ,as they 'confort' themselves with crowd thinking resulting to conformity which leaves them vulnerable.

So think forward and then choose yourself, be it in real estate or in life!

Live your life well, don't settle nor conform to people expectations. It's one of the best way to live life full of bliss and contentment.
alma1
#827 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 2:54:00 AM

hindsight though I'm happy quoting me, that means nothing

My friend some fellows here are so disappointed, they have even got my lecturers

I don't invest in property at all. Maybe I'm scared its ok. If the issue is where I'll be buried.....I'll be too dead to care.

Tysons is dead, swaziro just sounds stupid when he opens his mouth

yes I had my lecturers. Smoking wanjala, ahmednassir, swazri etc.

All these fellas cannot be trusted.

Surely how can you trust ahmednassir when he used to give us the questions and the answers before the exam date.

Let him say it was not true. Ahmednassir is fake. Smoking wanjala is too excited. He never thought

By the way I'm saying all this coz some stupid kid thought and set up some of these guys names.

I don't care about a doctor in ADD. these people are thieves and thugs. With doctor degrees

I am land economics degree holder if that makes you wank. I'm also Cfa certified,....And I'm also a property agent in Massachusetts, new Hampshire, Connecticut, and new york. And yes masomo sio kuwacha but my shoo.. was good school.

So when some f***er comes here and tells me about Swazuri. That fellow is just the worst liar in the world. Just a paid liar. Winnie who? Jinga sana. your valuers said that a buroti was cool Swazuri areed.
yes tell him i said, he's just joking and shall be fucing taita chicks.ohhh tell him to sue me./

Getting a degree and some stupid doctorates in Kenya means that you drive a BMW.....But being educated is another issue.

Ati winnie and swazuri. Do you know that that noisemaker whos was fired used to give a girl in my class A's. ...the rest of us got D's. He was called lumumba....mjinga tu,
WWini
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

enyands
#828 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 6:49:01 AM

alma1 wrote:

My friend some fellows here are so disappointed, they have even got my lecturers

I don't invest in property at all. Maybe I'm scared its ok. If the issue is where I'll be buried.....I'll be too dead to care.

Surely how can you trust ahmednassir when he used to give us the questions and the answers before the exam date.

Let him say it was not true. Ahmednassir is fake. Smoking wanjala is too excited. He never thought

By the way I'm saying all this coz some stupid kid thought and set up some of these guys names.

I don't care about a doctor in ADD. these people are thieves and thugs. With doctor degrees

I am land economics degree holder if that makes you wank. I'm also Cfa certified,....And I'm also a property agent in Massachusetts, new Hampshire, Connecticut, and new york. And yes masomo sio kuwacha but my shoo.. was good school.

So when some f***er comes here and tells me about Swazuri. That fellow is just the worst liar in the world. Just a paid liar. Winnie who? Jinga sana. your valuers said that a buroti was cool Swazuri areed.
yes tell him i said, he's just joking and shall be fucing taita chicks.ohhh tell him to sue me./

Getting a degree and some stupid doctorates in Kenya means that you drive a BMW.....But being educated is another issue.

Ati winnie and swazuri. Do you know that that noisemaker whos was fired used to give a girl in my class A's. ...the rest of us got D's. He was called lumumba....mjinga tu,
WWini

Alma1 never seen you smokin hot. What's going on? You cursed like hell. Anyway it's true when in campus i knew a lecturer who would fail us boys coz he used to get laid with some cute chics. Tulikuwa tunakwaruza D while some chics who never did shit got A. So getting A is just book smart but it ain't street smart .those are two different ball games.thats why Kirubi has no phd but he hires them to work fpr him ...anyway there are some stupid people for sure I agree with you
Spikes
#829 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 7:42:46 AM

enyands wrote:
alma1 wrote:

WWini

Alma1 never seen you smokin hot. What's going on? You cursed like hell. Anyway it's true when in campus i knew a lecturer who would fail us boys coz he used to get laid with some cute chics. Tulikuwa tunakwaruza D while some chics who never did shit got A. So getting A is just book smart but it ain't street smart .those are two different ball games.thats why Kirubi has no phd but he hires them to work fpr him ...anyway there are some stupid people for sure I agree with you

These are the same same stories I have been telling you in other threads and guys took me to task, came out fangs blazing!
John 5:17 But Jesus replied, “My Father is always working, and so am I.”
WalterWhite
#830 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 8:07:20 PM

alma1 wrote:

The population of the USA has grown from 100 million to over 300 million from 1920.

The income average in the USA was $1407 in 1920.

Real median household income in the United States in 2010 was $49,445

In 1990 it was $23000.

Property crash with less than 6% interest. You can talk about sub prime lending as much as you wish but surely in Kenya, what do you call 25%. That's shylocking with the law.

Please tell me the stats for Kenyans. Even 50k is a dream for most Kenyans.

Anyone who uses the population as a sign in property values is simply a charlatan.

Property values have nothing to do with population. They have everything to do with income.

That is why though the population in New York is higher than the population in San Fransico, the prices in real estate are higher in San Fransico are higher. Why? Income

That is economics 101.

Please read this if you can understand it

http://www.forbes.com/si...age-rates/#224534f8378d

Population has nothing to do with pricing. Its effective demand that matters.

As long as I see a 75 million shilling half acre in Nairobi yet the yearly income median is less than 50k a month, that's what I call a bubble.

@alma, this is what we've been saying. In today's dailies..

Real monthly incomes have stagnated since 2010, a review of employment data reveals.

In 2010 the real average monthly income was Sh31,212 but it dropped by one per cent to Sh30,862 in 2014 finds the analysis by Nation Newsplex.

Real wage is the income of an individual after taking into consideration the effects of inflation and purchasing power.

For example, if you got a three per cent salary rise over the previous year and inflation for the year was two per cent then your real income only rose one per cent. Inversely, if you received a two per cent raise in salary and inflation stood at four per cent then your real income would have shrunk two per cent.

Despite a larger economy, Kenya's middle class is hardly growing. The analysis found that going by real income, the share of employees in the formal workforce who fall within the middle class, those presently earning between Sh76,894 and Sh109,324, have increased minimally.

In 2014, 10 per cent of all employees in formal employment were in the middle class. The middle class grew by one per cent from 2009 when nine per cent of all workers were middle class.

According to economists, a strong middle class provides a stable consumer base that drives productive investment. A vibrant middle class is essential for strong entrepreneurship and innovation and reduces transaction costs. It is also a mainstay of civic engagement that produces better governance, and promotes long-term investments.

The review, which was done jointly with the Institute of Economic Affairs, defined the middle class as those earning not just the average income, but also one and two standard deviations above the average income.

Only three per cent or about 71,000 employees in the formal sector earn Sh100,000 or more per month. Another 23 per cent or 545,000 employees are paid between Sh50,000 and Sh99,999.

The most common wage earned is between Sh30,000 and Sh49,999, by about 664,000, or 28 per cent of all employees. Nearly 20 per cent or 474,000 employees earn from Sh25,000 to Sh29,000 while 16 per cent or about 379,230 employees earn from Sh20,000 to 24,999.

Seven per cent or about 166,000 of wage employees earn between Sh15,000-Sh19,000.

The formal sector employs about 2.4 million Kenyans or 17 per cent of the labour force.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...24/-/wwtwkf/-/index.html
Swenani
#831 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2016 6:26:05 PM

WalterWhite wrote:
[quote=alma1]

The population of the USA has grown from 100 million to over 300 million from 1920.

In 1990 it was $23000.

Property crash with less than 6% interest. You can talk about sub prime lending as much as you wish but surely in Kenya, what do you call 25%. That's shylocking with the law.

Anyone who uses the population as a sign in property values is simply a charlatan.

Property values have nothing to do with population. They have everything to do with income.

That is why though the population in New York is higher than the population in San Fransico, the prices in real estate are higher in San Fransico are higher. Why? Income

That is economics 101.

As long as I see a 75 million shilling half acre in Nairobi yet the yearly income median is less than 50k a month, that's what I call a bubble.

Real monthly incomes have stagnated since 2010, a review of employment data reveals.

In 2010 the real average monthly income was Sh31,212 but it dropped by one per cent to Sh30,862 in 2014 finds the analysis by Nation Newsplex.

Real wage is the income of an individual after taking into consideration the effects of inflation and purchasing power.

For example, if you got a three per cent salary rise over the previous year and inflation for the year was two per cent then your real income only rose one per cent. Inversely, if you received a two per cent raise in salary and inflation stood at four per cent then your real income would have shrunk two per cent.

Despite a larger economy, Kenya's middle class is hardly growing. The analysis found that going by real income, the share of employees in the formal workforce who fall within the middle class, those presently earning between Sh76,894 and Sh109,324, have increased minimally.

In 2014, 10 per cent of all employees in formal employment were in the middle class. The middle class grew by one per cent from 2009 when nine per cent of all workers were middle class.

According to economists, a strong middle class provides a stable consumer base that drives productive investment. A vibrant middle class is essential for strong entrepreneurship and innovation and reduces transaction costs. It is also a mainstay of civic engagement that produces better governance, and promotes long-term investments.

The review, which was done jointly with the Institute of Economic Affairs, defined the middle class as those earning not just the average income, but also one and two standard deviations above the average income.

Only three per cent or about 71,000 employees in the formal sector earn Sh100,000 or more per month. Another 23 per cent or 545,000 employees are paid between Sh50,000 and Sh99,999.

The most common wage earned is between Sh30,000 and Sh49,999, by about 664,000, or 28 per cent of all employees. Nearly 20 per cent or 474,000 employees earn from Sh25,000 to Sh29,000 while 16 per cent or about 379,230 employees earn from Sh20,000 to 24,999.

Seven per cent or about 166,000 of wage employees earn between Sh15,000-Sh19,000.

The formal sector employs about 2.4 million Kenyans or 17 per cent of the labour force.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...4/-/wwtwkf/-/index.html[/quote]

Yaani definition ya middle class is based on income and not wealth?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Impunity
#832 Posted : Monday, May 02, 2016 7:31:15 PM

Swenani wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
alma1 wrote:

In 1990 it was $23000.

That is economics 101.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...4/-/wwtwkf/-/index.html

Yaani definition ya middle class is based on income and not wealth?

The middle class are the EMPLOYED and big spenders.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

MaichBlack
#833 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 10:50:40 AM

State of the Industry
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Ericsson
#834 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 12:17:14 PM

Things will start taking an upturn from 2018.
For now as we head towards election nothing much is expected apart from negative news
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
Wakanyugi
#835 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 2:37:58 PM

This is an interesting discussion.

But I disagree with the idea that taking a mortgage is a stupid idea. It is not. For many of us it is only way we can access the kind of money (or saving discipline) required to do a 'life purchase' such as a house, land etc

What could be stupid though, is tying yourself to the usurious repayment conditions that banks make you sign up to.

Even in majuu, where interest rates are low, no one takes a 20 year mortgage intending to pay for 20 years. It is all about accelerated repayment or strategically selling the property to lock in capital gains.
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
washiku
#836 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 2:41:09 PM

https://www.facebook.com...posts/10154327567611563

Quote:
This weekend I went to visit a friend of mine. His neighbour has put his house on the rental market. It's a beautiful four-bedroomed bungalow, with a two-bedroomed servants' quarters, on a quarter acre of land. He's put it on the market for KSh 120,000 a month. I asked around about how much similar houses are sold for in that neighbourhood, and the prices are in excess of KSh 40 million.
Let's take a minute to digest and analyse that. If you paid cash for that house and rented it out, you would make your money back in three hundred and thirty three months. That's almost twenty eight years. House prices are like stocks - you can use a basic price/ rent, which is analogous to a price/ earnings (or PE) ratio to determine whether a house is under- or over-priced. Long-term average is around 16. This particular house is at 27.7.
Another calculation. If you convinced your bank to provide you with a mortgage, and you financed the house at 18% (and you'd need to be VERY good friends with your bank manager to get that), you'd be paying KSh 617,000 every month for twenty years. So, in effect, if you took out a mortgage in the hopes of renting the house out, you'd need to shell out almost KSh 400,000 a month more out of your own pocket just to break even.
One last thought nugget. People tell you to not take a mortgage and save. However, saving in a medium-to-high inflation environment is the equivalent of borrowing at a high rate. So, if you save to buy (either a ready home or land on which to build), you're effectively borrowing money at around 7-10%, depending on the economic environment.
Let me end with a (possibly apocryphal) story before I give you my conclusion. A lady put up a house some years ago in South 'C'. She had put it on the market for KSh 9 million, but she realistically expected 8 million bob for it. One day, someone came to view the house, and made an offer of KSh 12 million. From that point on, the lady refused to entertain any offers below KSh 12 million (which, you'll remember, was 50% above what she was initially expecting). The phantom buyer never turned up again, but as far as the lady was concerned, the house's value was KSh 12 million, and not a penny less. She finally sold it after many moons.
Kenya's property market is in a bubble. The bubble is still inflating, and if it doesn't get deflated gently, it will burst very painfully. Real estate prices are almost totally unmoored from their true values, and what's keeping them up there is hope, greed and fear (and a generous helping of dishonest money). Everyone's a property speculator and dealer. All power to them, but when the music stops, there'll be plenty of people left without chairs. When the tide goes out, you'll realise how many people were swimming commando. Take your pick of trite metaphor, but don't say you weren't warned.
Wakanyugi
#837 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 5:35:41 PM

There is a time I used to make quite a bit of money by reading the opinion of so called experts on Wazua and doing just the opposite (then I got caught but that is another story).

This thread brings back those memories, especially with some people writing here as if, ex Cathedra, (infallible like the Pope).

If mortgages were so bad, can someone explain how this became such a huge global industry? And how it is that a canon of real estate investment is OPM? (other peoples money). Surely they can't all be suckers?

I hope young Wazuans don't get taken in and forget that every story is only half a story at best.

"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." (Niels Bohr)
Impunity
#838 Posted : Monday, July 11, 2016 6:11:29 PM

Wakanyugi wrote:
There is a time I used to make quite a bit of money by reading the opinion of so called experts on Wazua and doing just the opposite (then I got caught but that is another story).

This thread brings back those memories, especially with some people writing here as if, ex Cathedra, (infallible like the Pope).

If mortgages were so bad, can someone explain how this became such a huge global industry? And how it is that a canon of real estate investment is OPM? (other peoples money). Surely they can't all be suckers?

I hope young Wazuans don't get taken in and forget that every story is only half a story at best.

For DECADES Bernard Madoff's PONZI was real and all the people in it thought they were not suckers...but they painfully realized they were actually hapless suckers...the only difference here is/was the time!

#Happy hunting.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

newfarer
#839 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 6:52:33 AM

mlennyma
#840 Posted : Tuesday, July 12, 2016 9:42:15 AM

newfarer wrote:
www.businessdailyafrica.com/Real-estate-slowdown-leaves-banks-with-bad-loans/-/539552/3289432/-/131krs7/-/index.html

i consider a NPL invested in a property secure provided the lender keeps on check the duration of default
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."