wazua Sun, May 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

45 Pages«<3940414243>»
Is Taking a Mortgage the WORST Decision Ever??
Obi 1 Kanobi
#801 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:31:07 AM

As @Alma states, this could be a perfect time for vulture investing.

Picking the carcass of the dying property boom for distressed mortgages. Many people are going to default on loans, only this time they will not be able to gain from the rising land prices to still sell at a profit.

Banks will also struggle to hold on to non performing loans backed by stalled projects, they will soon be pushing developers to sell at whichever prices and pay their loans
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
Impunity
#802 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:12:46 AM

ndiwe84 wrote:
I have been following recent property news in Nairobi and i can't stop wondering what could have happened to nextgen along mombasa road near Eko hotel.

Could it have stalled or was it a victim of imperial bank easy money?

What do wazuans think?

I saw on last Sunday newspare that Next Gen mall will be opening soon and offeres were made for individuals to rent or buy stalls/rooms/sq-feet!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Swenani
#803 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:16:35 AM

Impunity wrote:
ndiwe84 wrote:
I have been following recent property news in Nairobi and i can't stop wondering what could have happened to nextgen along mombasa road near Eko hotel.

Could it have stalled or was it a victim of imperial bank easy money?

What do wazuans think?

I saw on last Sunday newspare that Next Gen mall will be opening soon and offeres were made for individuals to rent or buy stalls/rooms/sq-feet!

It has already been opened(i.e the mall),not sure whether the residential is opened.

ION,Urithi coop society is now selling houses offplan
2 bedroom maisonette(60sqm) in rongai-2.2M
3 bedroom maisonnete(110sqm on 40*60) in Juja-3.95M

These ones look reasonable, though I'm not sure how the house finishing and quality will be
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Ash Ock
#804 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:49:51 AM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
As @Alma states, this could be a perfect time for vulture investing.

Picking the carcass of the dying property boom for distressed mortgages. Many people are going to default on loans, only this time they will not be able to gain from the rising land prices to still sell at a profit.

Banks will also struggle to hold on to non performing loans backed by stalled projects, they will soon be pushing developers to sell at whichever prices and pay their loans

In an ideal functioning economy, I'd agree with you.

But in Kenya, what we have is extremely hot money (corruption proceeds) greedily invested in real estate for quick ridiculous appreciation (way above the intrinsic value) with very few mortgages.

When, not if, the thieves fear losing their ill gotten loot when the prices start trickling down (throw in the Asset Recovery Agency which could play a role), the real estate exodus driven by fear is going to be something to behold.

The blame is solely on the government who could have averted with properly implemented policies (i.e. CGT) but since they're the ones very heavily involved in stealing and hiding the proceeds in real estate, there never was a motive to put a check on it.
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
Mike Ock
#805 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:08:05 PM

This is wazua. Here we are not naive. Let us be real. Real estate boom = money laundering boom.

So as long as the devolved government remains a free-for-all, as long as there is no jail time for corrupt bankers and big company managers, as long as gold scammers, wash wash boys etc are roaming free on our streets, as long as armed robbers are not being arrested, the property/money laundering boom will continue. All these other graphs, sijui financial projections, Hass Consult reports bla bla bla, is mostly just noise from people trying to sound intelligent. Let's be real here on wazua at least.
WalterWhite
#806 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 6:07:55 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
This is wazua. Here we are not naive. Let us be real. Real estate boom = money laundering boom.

So as long as the devolved government remains a free-for-all, as long as there is no jail time for corrupt bankers and big company managers, as long as gold scammers, wash wash boys etc are roaming free on our streets, as long as armed robbers are not being arrested, the property/money laundering boom will continue. All these other graphs, sijui financial projections, Hass Consult reports bla bla bla, is mostly just noise from people trying to sound intelligent. Let's be real here on wazua at least.

I agree with you. Not only are these corrupt cartels robbing the tax payer blind, they are also disenfranchising Kenyans from their land. They take our money and our land. Rather they had stashed these monies in offshore accounts at least the average mwananchi who works for honest wages would have a piece of the property pie.
alma1
#807 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:03:38 PM

WalterWhite wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

I agree with you. Not only are these corrupt cartels robbing the tax payer blind, they are also disenfranchising Kenyans from their land. They take our money and our land. Rather they had stashed these monies in offshore accounts at least the average mwananchi who works for honest wages would have a piece of the property pie.

The problem with the Kenyan property market is very simple. People have not been investing in land to make a profit, they have either been laundering money or sitting on it waiting for it to appreciate in value.

That is not investing.

Investing in land means that investors actually make use of the land. Not hold to wait and sell to another fellow who shall hold and wait, then hold and wait. With the idea that one day some day they shall be billionaires.

I blame that to lack of information. I trully do not see why I should use $10000 to buy an 1/8th of an acre in the bundus with a greenhouse.

While I can buy a piece somewhere in Florida for about the same and if I want a house some 5 million shillings.

Not only will I be assured that my property doesn't have a fake title, I can actually be able to give my kids citizenship in the land of the free and the brave.

Do not fall for this story that property prices don't go down. I'm a registered valuer in Kenya and another place. I can assure you, that unless you are planning on adding value to land, a crash shall surely come. The longer it takes to come, the harder shit shall hit the fan.

I was watching the chama show someone mentioned here. 90% of those chamas are like, we shall buy land then subdivide and sell. Sell to whom, another chama?

That's a pyramid scheme.

Now all chamas have an account at Unaitas or BOA and Rafiki. They are all buying land. Even wazua chama is buying land. Who the hell do you think is going to buy it if everyone is selling?

Kenyans let's not be slow here. The world economies moved on from owning physical assets to leasing someone elses physical assets. Uber, Amazon, Wayfair, Apple, even Microsoft is going into licensing.

You shall own your land but someone else shall lease it and make a billion as you wait for the property values to make you billionaires.

The only people who shall enjoy land are my parents who bought plots for 10k. You the young one had better think about something else. Coz their ain't no way I can pay you 50million for a plot when I can get a ranch in Australia with citizenship for that amount. Or try Canada.

Investing is not about love its about time. When I die you shall bury me one way or another. Or you can take the Prince route and just burn me to ashes and throw them into mogotio river.

Now couple that with the stupidity of getting a mortgage. People people. Americans who get paid every Friday could not be able to finance a mortgage at 7% max. Kweli wewe mkenya wa 80k who do you think you are to finance a mortgage at 20%. Man rent. Man rent. The rest of the money rent the land from the fellows buying PRC land and keep a cow.
Thieves are not good people. Tumeelewana?

Much Know
#808 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:15:31 PM

alma1 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

The problem with the Kenyan property market is very simple. People have not been investing in land to make a profit, they have either been laundering money or sitting on it waiting for it to appreciate in value.

That is not investing.

Investing in land means that investors actually make use of the land. Not hold to wait and sell to another fellow who shall hold and wait, then hold and wait. With the idea that one day some day they shall be billionaires.

I blame that to lack of information. I trully do not see why I should use $10000 to buy an 1/8th of an acre in the bundus with a greenhouse.

While I can buy a piece somewhere in Florida for about the same and if I want a house some 5 million shillings.

Not only will I be assured that my property doesn't have a fake title, I can actually be able to give my kids citizenship in the land of the free and the brave.

Do not fall for this story that property prices don't go down. I'm a registered valuer in Kenya and another place. I can assure you, that unless you are planning on adding value to land, a crash shall surely come. The longer it takes to come, the harder shit shall hit the fan.

I was watching the chama show someone mentioned here. 90% of those chamas are like, we shall buy land then subdivide and sell. Sell to whom, another chama?

That's a pyramid scheme.

Now all chamas have an account at Unaitas or BOA and Rafiki. They are all buying land. Even wazua chama is buying land. Who the hell do you think is going to buy it if everyone is selling?

Kenyans let's not be slow here. The world economies moved on from owning physical assets to leasing someone elses physical assets. Uber, Amazon, Wayfair, Apple, even Microsoft is going into licensing.

You shall own your land but someone else shall lease it and make a billion as you wait for the property values to make you billionaires.

The only people who shall enjoy land are my parents who bought plots for 10k. You the young one had better think about something else. Coz their ain't no way I can pay you 50million for a plot when I can get a ranch in Australia with citizenship for that amount. Or try Canada.

Investing is not about love its about time. When I die you shall bury me one way or another. Or you can take the Prince route and just burn me to ashes and throw them into mogotio river.

Now couple that with the stupidity of getting a mortgage. People people. Americans who get paid every Friday could not be able to finance a mortgage at 7% max. Kweli wewe mkenya wa 80k who do you think you are to finance a mortgage at 20%. Man rent. Man rent. The rest of the money rent the land from the fellows buying PRC land and keep a cow.

Applause very frank!
A New Kenya
wanyee
#809 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:23:00 PM

A simple of projection of Nairobi's growth in terms of size and extension in comparison to a city like Jo'burg or Tokyo will tell you these 1/8 plots will one day be very valuable...then people will wonder why they did not acquire them in the past that is now even if the 3rd generation from now are the ones who will be there in this 'projected growth'
alma1
#810 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:40:06 PM

Wanyee as much as I hate to say it, please read murchr's posts on the internet or take any business for example.

Business people do not buy land. They rent your house.

Since this is an investor's forum, let me ask you like seriously.

Why should I buy land for lets just say 1 million for an 1/8

Kenyan reasons

I million shillings shall become rental income of 15 1 bedroom houses for 10k each giving me a guaranteed 150k per month.

It sounds very nice until you hear KRA is busy looking for you matapakas and honesly 150k in Nairobi means you rent a house in Embakasi as you wait.

Wait, Wait. for the property appreciation. After all all property values go up.

Please do not compare yourself to your grandfather in 1970. There comes a time when prices flatline. In each and every business. Every business.

Now since we are in 2016. Some mama goes with the same 10k dollars to shaina. She buys a few bed spreads for 500 bob and sells them in facebook for the low low price of 2k. Her cost 1k her profit 1k.

Why the hell do you think you are seeing very many women going to shaina?

Then they come back and buy your kabroti. Not to sell it for a profit today but to hold onto it coz every Kenyan want's land. Why do you think they sell to you. When shit hits the fan she sells the land to you and goes back to shaina. She then sells you the sheeap branket for another of your 2k.

I just don't know what to say.

Whilst the youth in other countries have moved on to understanding the meaning of adding value, the Kenyan youth are still trying to be like our grandparents.

The stories of the young rich in Kenya are there for you to see. Instead of buying land Keroche decided to sell you beer. Now they own a house in Muthaiga. Instead of buying land, Lamudi has convinced each and every property firm in Kenya to pay them minimum 10k per month just to be listed.

Let me ask you with all sincerity. What happened to Tysons, Llyod Masika etc. They have gone so low that they pay a mbeberu every month to list their property. What was so hard for them to do it themselves?

Instead of buying land, you wazuan are busy making Jumia nigerian kids billionaires.

Lamudi, Jumia are making more returns in a day than the land buying Kenyan. Tafakari hayo.

You continue buying land. Unless you are a property management firm that has the skills to maneuver the market, I don't see why you should not be like nice and lovely, go to shaina and get a factory to manufacture.

I'm talking like an old man who has seen this wave pass me by. I really hope the young in Kenya don't waste time on land but waste their time on manufacturing and leverage.

Getting a Kenyan mortgage...means you are one of the most stupid humans in the world. Ati I pay you 25% and you give me 1% interest on my money. let me take it to karumaindo.

Xymalos
#811 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 8:47:58 PM

alma1 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

That is not investing.

That's a pyramid scheme.

You ask who is going to buy the land when chama's subdivide ready to sell? With a current population of 46 million people in Kenya and a population growth rate of 2%, --- the projected population in 10 years is 56 million people (10 million more people in just 10 years!). And most of population growth is in age classes that will be looking for places to settle. And because buying land to construct is always cheaper than buying already constructed house, there will be people willing to buy land in foreseeable future. As an example - I am not in a chama with several of my friends and we buy land from people who bought as chama members several years ago; especially in those places that are now well developed.
WalterWhite
#812 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:08:37 PM

"I trully do not see why I should use $10000 to buy an 1/8th of an acre in the bundus with a greenhouse. While I can buy a piece somewhere in Florida for about the same and if I want a house some 5 million shillings."

@alma. You're right on the money.

Since real estate has become a money laundering scheme for the corrupt, it's only a matter of time before the bubble bursts, because no new money is being generated at the basic level. It's a massive transfer of wealth from the poor taxpayer to the wealthy/corrupt. When SHTF, we can expect a severe cash crisis and perhaps even riots on the streets, when people who depend on the property sector can't find jobs and food to eat.
If the middle class Kenyan or chama simply refused to participate in this property craze the prices would have to come down. The diaspora guys are also contributing to this mess. Personally speaking, I have suspended all plot buying ventures after many headaches at the landboard offices and the risk of getting conned by unscrupulous brokers gets higher every day. I choose to be contented with what I have so far including a home that is fully paid for. Setting my eyes on greater things such as value addition of raw materials.
Also, many youth today are in no position to start families due to lack of job opportunities. Some of them still live with their parents. Hence, the rate of population increase could actually be tapering off. So how can we bank on so-called population explosion to fuel future increase in property prices?
WalterWhite
#813 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:28:47 PM

Xymalos wrote:

You ask who is going to buy the land when chama's subdivide ready to sell? With a current population of 46 million people in Kenya and a population growth rate of 2%, --- the projected population in 10 years is 56 million people (10 million more people in just 10 years!). And most of population growth is in age classes that will be looking for places to settle. And because buying land to construct is always cheaper than buying already constructed house, there will be people willing to buy land in foreseeable future. As an example - I am not in a chama with several of my friends and we buy land from people who bought as chama members several years ago; especially in those places that are now well developed.

Those people who you are banking on to buy your chama plots in the future... where will they get the resources from? Most Kenyan youth are severely underpaid at their jobs (those who are lucky to be employed) and most are living hand to mouth. On the other hand, we see the prices of land literally doubling every 3-5 years. If a solid middle class person is feeling the pinch paying for a 1/8th in Nbi's suburbs, how about 10 years from now when inflation will have gone up but wages will remain stagnant? Is that middle class going to appear magically? I see a nation of severe wealth disparities, basically landlords and renters. Going forward, I think we will see an explosion of low income rentals, not an increase in property buyers...unless those prices come down.
alma1
#814 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 9:52:23 PM

WalterWhite wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

Those people who you are banking on to buy your chama plots in the future... where will they get the resources from? Most Kenyan youth are severely underpaid at their jobs (those who are lucky to be employed) and most are living hand to mouth. On the other hand, we see the prices of land literally doubling every 3-5 years. If a solid middle class person is feeling the pinch paying for a 1/8th in Nbi's suburbs, how about 10 years from now when inflation will have gone up but wages will remain stagnant? Is that middle class going to appear magically? I see a nation of severe wealth disparities, basically landlords and renters. Going forward, I think we will see an explosion of low income rentals, not an increase in property buyers...unless those prices come down.

The population of the USA has grown from 100 million to over 300 million from 1920.

The income average in the USA was $1407 in 1920.

Real median household income in the United States in 2010 was $49,445

In 1990 it was $23000.

Property crash with less than 6% interest. You can talk about sub prime lending as much as you wish but surely in Kenya, what do you call 25%. That's shylocking with the law.

Please tell me the stats for Kenyans. Even 50k is a dream for most Kenyans.

Anyone who uses the population as a sign in property values is simply a charlatan.

Property values have nothing to do with population. They have everything to do with income.

That is why though the population in New York is higher than the population in San Fransico, the prices in real estate are higher in San Fransico are higher. Why? Income

That is economics 101.

Please read this if you can understand it

http://www.forbes.com/si...age-rates/#224534f8378d

Population has nothing to do with pricing. Its effective demand that matters.

As long as I see a 75 million shilling half acre in Nairobi yet the yearly income median is less than 50k a month, that's what I call a bubble.

Math here please not emotions.

Cheap housing shall become the in thing. There's only too much flooding that a human being can take even if they love Kenya.

Pathetic, not poor infrastucture but you buy a house in Kilimani for 50 million. Why not follow nakujua to shags and at least live in a place where milk comes form a cow not brookside.

If you think the middle class as you call them are not thinking about this, ask their wives.

wanyee
#815 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:13:22 PM

alma1 wrote:
Wanyee as much as I hate to say it, please read murchr's posts on the internet or take any business for example.

Kenyan reasons

I million shillings shall become rental income of 15 1 bedroom houses for 10k each giving me a guaranteed 150k per month.

It sounds very nice until you hear KRA is busy looking for you matapakas and honesly 150k in Nairobi means you rent a house in Embakasi as you wait.

Please do not compare yourself to your grandfather in 1970. There comes a time when prices flatline. In each and every business. Every business.

Now since we are in 2016. Some mama goes with the same 10k dollars to shaina. She buys a few bed spreads for 500 bob and sells them in facebook for the low low price of 2k. Her cost 1k her profit 1k.

Then they come back and buy your kabroti. Not to sell it for a profit today but to hold onto it coz every Kenyan want's land. Why do you think they sell to you. When shit hits the fan she sells the land to you and goes back to shaina. She then sells you the sheeap branket for another of your 2k.

Whilst the youth in other countries have moved on to understanding the meaning of adding value, the Kenyan youth are still trying to be like our grandparents.

The stories of the young rich in Kenya are there for you to see. Instead of buying land Keroche decided to sell you beer. Now they own a house in Muthaiga. Instead of buying land, Lamudi has convinced each and every property firm in Kenya to pay them minimum 10k per month just to be listed.

Let me ask you with all sincerity. What happened to Tysons, Llyod Masika etc. They have gone so low that they pay a mbeberu every month to list their property. What was so hard for them to do it themselves?

Instead of buying land, you wazuan are busy making Jumia nigerian kids billionaires.

Lamudi, Jumia are making more returns in a day than the land buying Kenyan. Tafakari hayo.

You continue buying land. Unless you are a property management firm that has the skills to maneuver the market, I don't see why you should not be like nice and lovely, go to shaina and get a factory to manufacture.

I'm talking like an old man who has seen this wave pass me by. I really hope the young in Kenya don't waste time on land but waste their time on manufacturing and leverage.

Getting a Kenyan mortgage...means you are one of the most stupid humans in the world. Ati I pay you 25% and you give me 1% interest on my money. let me take it to karumaindo.

Not disputing but think.of how the Grosvenors came to own Belgravia..time accumulates wealth not being a one time nigger rich comet politicoprenuer
wanyee
#816 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:18:25 PM

wanyee wrote:
[quote=alma1]Wanyee as much as I hate to say it, please read murchr's posts on the internet or take any business for example.

Kenyan reasons

Not disputing but think.of how the Grosvenors came to own Belgravia..time accumulates wealth not being a one time negro rich comet like politicoprenuer. http://www.grosvenor.com/about-grosvenor/history/ some family and chamas are fashioning themselves as such
alma1
#817 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:21:52 PM

wanyee wrote:

Not disputing but think.of how the Grosvenors came to own Belgravia..time accumulates wealth not being a one time nigger rich comet politicoprenuer

I think Wanyee we are talking of different things here

If you start a matatu business, you are likely to lose. If you start a taxi cab business, I think wazua has shown you that its not so rosy.

Yet there are billionaires in matatu and taxi business. This is not to tell you not to do it. But do it as you know the reality.

Even in property booms and bursts, there are people who make quite a lot of money.

But that doesn't negate the fact that when one person wins, hundreds lose.

We are talking about the property market here including the mortgage market.

Your chances of losing in Kenya right now are close to 90%. Ask the fellas in Syokimau with fake titles signed by gov't officers

I was once in a mathree and Maina Kageni was selling land in Lamu telling them that land will double in prices in 2 years coz of lapset. Today we learned that lapset shall be hopefully completed when I'm dead.

Yet there are investors who shall make a killing.

There is a difference between investors and speculators. 90% of Kenyans are speculators. They shall suffer accordingly.

But we shall be talking about the rich guys who made a killing. For you, we shall forget about you and bury you in misery.

Math don't lie. You have been warned on wazua.

WalterWhite
#818 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:44:19 PM

alma1 wrote:
wanyee wrote:

I think Wanyee we are talking of different things here

If you start a matatu business, you are likely to lose. If you start a taxi cab business, I think wazua has shown you that its not so rosy.

Yet there are billionaires in matatu and taxi business. This is not to tell you not to do it. But do it as you know the reality.

Even in property booms and bursts, there are people who make quite a lot of money.

But that doesn't negate the fact that when one person wins, hundreds lose.

We are talking about the property market here including the mortgage market.

Your chances of losing in Kenya right now are close to 90%. Ask the fellas in Syokimau with fake titles signed by gov't officers

I was once in a mathree and Maina Kageni was selling land in Lamu telling them that land will double in prices in 2 years coz of lapset. Today we learned that lapset shall be hopefully completed when I'm dead.

Yet there are investors who shall make a killing.

There is a difference between investors and speculators. 90% of Kenyans are speculators. They shall suffer accordingly.

But we shall be talking about the rich guys who made a killing. For you, we shall forget about you and bury you in misery.

Math don't lie. You have been warned on wazua.

You're right again. If the rise in median income per household was keeping up and preferably outpacing inflation, we wouldn't be having this discussion about a property bust. Simply because the country would be growing from the bottom up, we would have net exports etc. That's not happening right now. First of all, our infrastructure in all aspects of society including roads network, security, health and education is in shambles. The government would need to invest trillions of shillings which it doesn't have. In that aspect, our govt has failed terribly.

In 1964, President Lyndon Johnson announced "war on poverty" in America which lifted millions of Americans out of poverty with the expansion of social welfare programs and job opportunities. That's how you grow a country. A 3rd world country such as Kenya, the roots of poverty are so great..just one too many missteps and we're back to the stone age. Observe how the city becomes paralyzed during heavy downpours.
Today more than ever, it's important to at least prepare for any calamities. At least 6 months worth of food, clean water, medicines etc. Anything can happen...better to be prepared.
Xymalos
#819 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 10:55:19 PM

WalterWhite wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@WalterWhite ... I am not in a chama, but do buy land owned by people who are members of various chamas. People's financial abilities increases with time. I'll use an example to illustrate that if you cannot afford a certain 1/8th now it does not mean that you cannot afford the same 1/8th ten years later. I remember Kahawa Sukari was costing 100K in early 1990 and several people I knew could not afford to buy. Yet, they were able to buy in mid 1995 for 300K; their financial abilities improved with time. And some who could not afford at 300K were able to buy early 2000 for slightly less than 1M. And I still see people buying the same plots for 6M+. Yes low income rental properties will increase, but those low income renters will strive to own 1/8th to built their own house. And they may be able to buy the same 1/8th that they cannot afford now - but will afford it 10 years later. Not every body - but some will.
WalterWhite
#820 Posted : Thursday, April 28, 2016 11:37:40 PM

Xymalos wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Xymalos wrote:

@WalterWhite ... I am not in a chama, but do buy land owned by people who are members of various chamas. People's financial abilities increases with time. I'll use an example to illustrate that if you cannot afford a certain 1/8th now it does not mean that you cannot afford the same 1/8th ten years later. I remember Kahawa Sukari was costing 100K in early 1990 and several people I knew could not afford to buy. Yet, they were able to buy in mid 1995 for 300K; their financial abilities improved with time. And some who could not afford at 300K were able to buy early 2000 for slightly less than 1M. And I still see people buying the same plots for 6M+. Yes low income rental properties will increase, but those low income renters will strive to own 1/8th to built their own house. And they may be able to buy the same 1/8th that they cannot afford now - but will afford it 10 years later. Not every body - but some will.

You could say those Sukari plots have increased by 6000% in 20 years. A person earning 50k per month (? mid level bank manager) in 1994 should be making close 3 million p.m. today yet we know that's not the case. Wages for the poor and middle class are not increasing fast enough and that's a big problem. Wages and capital gains are increasing mostly for people who are already in the top 0.1%-1%.

The people you see buying said plots for 6 million today, in a fair market, should be buying land in Runda but they have to settle for Sukari. So you could say their standard of living went down.

20 years ago, the socio-economic class of people (based on income) who bought land at Kahawa Sukari now have to settle for Ruiru or Juja. And so on and so forth. The poor keep getting pushed to Nairobi's peripheries until a certain point where lack of infrastructure does not allow, for the sake of job proximity. These people inevitably become a permanent underclass of renters with no hope of owning property. Overall, the rich who are mostly in the political class are doing better than ever. There's some movement of people into the middle class but this expansion is tepid at best. Purchasing power and ability to absorb major shocks is still very limited.
10 years from now, do you anticipate that income (for all) will be on the uptrend to match cost of living?