wazua Sun, Jun 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
SK not bothered with draft constitution?
BAAK
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:33:00 AM

Apparently people at SK are not bothered with new constitution? Any thread posted on this topic ends up receiving little or no attention…

Yet,even though CKRC have their little failings; they have shown great flexibility in accommodating views any reasonable views. For instance,I hear they have now done away with the 14 regions,have tried level best to dilute presidential powers,etc,etc. However,there are some glaring ‘unwise’ recommendations,eg.

· Leader of part with majority MPs to become PM – This is unwise,since,there is no criteria (to my knowledge) on how this leader will be elected – is it be grassroots or by delegates and does leader refer to chairman? If this guy is not elected directly,doesn’t that leave the masses with very little control on who becomes the PM? What then is the purpose of voting. Why not follow somewhat the same procedure used in electing the speaker of national assembly. This way we do away with alignments and realignments aka coalition arrangements which serve no good?

· President not to get intelligence briefings – If there is insurgency brewing somewhere,how will president get to know? Yet he’s the one supposed to command the armed forces?

· President not to chair cabinet – How will he know what is happening in govt at any one time?

Come on,I believe it is here at SK that we can come up with very wise recommendations to these issues. Someone can then compile them and submit to CKRC. Am sure CKRC will be willing to accommodate them if sensible,and we will have done our part at this point in time.

As an Skerian,I acknowledge that I have benefited immensely from the info posted here by others. There4,I promise to assist others in the same way by responding to request for info,as long as am privileged in the subject issue..SK Pledge..
mtaalam
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:37:00 AM

It's not that we're not bothered. Some of us haven't read the entire document. Do you have a copy or you're relying on the newspaper garbage? Where can we download it as it's not up yet on coekenya.go.ke

...ili iwe funzo!
Djinn
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:51:00 AM

@Baak - perhaps its not just SK but as Kenyans we are all rather fatigued by the 'draft constitution'. I'm willing to wager,in the next week or so there will be opposition to certain elements and fresh brouhaha will erupt once again - noise mainly driven by politicians seeking to protect those aspects of the constitution that allow them to continue to exist as fat cats and proect their own existence. What did it cost us before to come up with a draft? and where did it get us? I am a firm believer that we as Kenyans,cannot AFFORD to be democratic - lets leave that to first world countries who have the money to spend. Right now,even with an IMMACULATE constitution,people will remain hungry,displaced,wronged,etc - we need to focus on other things - just not the constitution. We can do that later when wanjiku has other basic rights to food,shelter,justice,etc. And I think it can be done in the absence of a constitution....if it takes a dictatorship - so be it. If it takes a firm grip like Muammar Abumeniar Al Quadhaffi...so be it. Having said that,I do not think we will have a new constitution in the next 5-10 years....not as long as there are always sideshows like the hague,passats,etccccc

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
Djinn
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:52:00 AM

and can someone point us to where we can download the document? kenyalaw.org? Mars Group? who has it?

The problem with equality is that we desire that it be with those that have more than us rather that those that have less
Much Know
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:55:00 AM

ati 'Do you have a copy or you're relying on the newspaper garbage?' Lol...SK kweli is not gumzo mtaani

Niône mwisho ya mwezi pliz!
A New Kenya
Njunge
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:55:00 AM

Wacha tuisome hii draft kwanza,otherwise we might be jumping gun.......and yes,as Djinn says,what good is a rosy constitution that is not respected by it's owners?.What ails this country is far bigger than the constitution.
Old man about town....
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
mtaalam
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:59:00 AM

@Djinn
It will be uploaded on the 'committee of Experts' website (coekenya.go.ke) after the official launch.
@Njunge
I think the constitution can sort most of the things ailing this nation. If it can't then something's wrong with it.

...ili iwe funzo!
Djinn
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:00:00 AM

and I;d also like to wager,that this 'new draft' will be just another way to know which sides will play in 2012 - it will be Orange and Banana all over again - another costly referendum....another resounding NO to a disputed 20% of the content. Yes,lets sit down and discuss this....in 2011 we will make promises to fix it (like we did in 2002,2007). What else is new?

Grateful
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:00:00 AM

se also

http://www.stockskenya.c...?stk=1002&top=18927

we want peace...
The only substitute to intelligence is silence
Djinn
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:00:00 AM

@mtaalam - thanks - I'll bookmark it...

sokomjinga
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:39:00 AM

@ Mtaalam,

The new constitution (if there will be any) will not help sort out our problems. In fact,based on the proposals that have been made,I think it will just bring more problems to our beloved country.

We know our main problems - the land question,corruption,impunity,mismanagement,tribalism,nepotism,outright theft of public resources etc.

The constitution cannot do anything about that if our people will not respect it. No one in the current crop of leaders is ready to bring meaningful change ..... kilammoja anafikiri tumbo lake peke yake .......

All beginnings are difficult ..... ..... everything has an end,only a sausage has two.
Taunet Neelel ..... New Beginning .....
adept
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:41:00 AM

I have always said it here: the new constitution is the single most over rated document in Kenya's history.

Our problems have far less to do with the law than they do with respect for the law.

I foresee a huge anticlimax and an ideology vacuum for people who have for all practical purposes pegged their lives on the passage of this document. That is assuming that the draft is indeed adopted.

Then as usual,we will find a new scape goat to blame for the leadership problems in our country.

Hata hivyo,a good step in the right direction. Maybe.
Tebes
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:52:00 AM

Here is the draft finally.

http://www.coekenya.go.k..._Draft_Constitution.pdf

Study,make submissions to the committee of experts within 30 days.

Work like you will die tomorrow,plan like you will never die
"Never regret, if its good, its wonderful. If its bad, its experience."
Nandwa
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:53:00 AM

Law is made for man not the other way round.

We are the 10th wonder of the world
Just as absolute power corrupts leaders, so does absolute fanaticism blind the people from logic
Njunge
#15 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:06:00 AM

Is there a clause on recalling of Mpigs?

Old man about town....
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
mtaalam
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:38:00 AM

@sokomjinga,
If that's what you'll feel after reading it then I suggest you vote NO.
The point of changing the constitution is for systems to change because they do not work. It's like overhauling an engine of a vehicle or putting in a new one. If you feel the vehicle will perform the same or even worse after,then why bother?

I've reached a point where I've realized that what we have now doesn't work and the crossbreed is even worse. At this point I'm very open to suggestions and I want my kid growing up in a sane Kenya. So,I have no choice but to be optimistic.

...ili iwe funzo!
FundamentAli
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:47:00 AM

We can talk of this model versus that model. Yote ni bure kabisa. What kenyans need is an assurance for justice then we can beginning talking.

Baada ya dhiki,faaraja
McReggae
#18 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 1:41:00 PM

The draft is now available can those who can read go through it then we can have an objective discussion regarding the same!!!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Kenya649
#19 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:05:00 PM

Can be downloaded at

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezfzamzozd0

Thanks

At first,I was iridescent. Then,I became transparent. Finally,I was absent
mtaalam
#20 Posted : Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:25:00 PM

@ Njung'e

131. (1) The electorate under Articles 125 and 126 have the right to recall their
member of Parliament elected before the expiry of the term of the
relevant House of Parliament.
(2) Parliament shall enact legislation to provide for the grounds on which a
member may be recalled and the procedure to be followed.

...ili iwe funzo!