wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
mabati houses for rental
JkMwatha
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 02, 2014 4:20:23 PM

a4architect wrote:
Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009
An average 2 roomed mabati house will cost ksh 60,000 to build..without concrete foundation.
The thickness of the mabati is key to the longevity ..in kenya we have gauge 28-thickest at approx.ksh 500 per square meter,gauge 30 at appr. 400ksh per square meter and gauge 32 at ksh 250 per square meter. Gauge 28 will last 20 years,gauge 30,10 years and gauge 32 5 years approx.
www.a4architect.com

www.prismafrica.com

0ver 4 years back, ... I'm guessing its different today? If so what's the difference?

mwenza
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 02, 2014 6:45:24 PM

JkMwatha wrote:
a4architect wrote:
Posted : Wednesday, July 01, 2009
An average 2 roomed mabati house will cost ksh 60,000 to build..without concrete foundation.
The thickness of the mabati is key to the longevity ..in kenya we have gauge 28-thickest at approx.ksh 500 per square meter,gauge 30 at appr. 400ksh per square meter and gauge 32 at ksh 250 per square meter. Gauge 28 will last 20 years,gauge 30,10 years and gauge 32 5 years approx.
www.a4architect.com

www.prismafrica.com

0ver 4 years back, ... I'm guessing its different today? If so what's the difference?

Shockingly, currently 2.5m long gauge 30 mabati is going for 560/= PER PIECE!

2.5m long gauge 32 mabati is going for 470/= PER PIECE!
IF YOU EXPECT ME TO POST ANYTHING POSITIVE ABOUT ASENO, YOU MAY AS WELL SIT ON A PIN
a4architect.com
#23 Posted : Friday, January 03, 2014 3:54:08 PM

surprisingly,4 years later and the cost of mabati hasnt moved much. Same with cement, steel, stone, labour etc. Construction materials price exept where dependent on diesel/transport, have increased at the rate of inflation of around 9%.

Only land has appreciated at between 30 to 60% annually.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
jokes
#24 Posted : Saturday, January 04, 2014 1:06:38 PM

By A4architect

By a4architect

Mabati gauge 30. costs 570kes for a 2m by 0.8m wide sheet.
Mabati Gauge 32 costs 470 for same.
This translates to kes 350 per m2.

Add cost of timber frame support, say 4m x kes 30 per foot.
Cyprus 2 x2 costs around kes 24 to kes 30 per foot. This translates to kes 100 per linear meter.

Assuming 1 square meter of mabati requires 4 linear meters of timber for support, this translates to kes 100 x 4 = kes 400.
Add labour/nails say kes 200
=kes 950 per m2

Lets calculate cost of stone wall per m2.
A machine cut stone, 6 x 9, costs kes 50 delivered to site.
There are 12 to 13 stones per m2=kes 650 per m2.
Add kes 200 labour/cement=kes 850 per m2.

From this, we can deduce a mabati walling is kes 100 more expensive than a stone walling around Nairobi.

Jokes

A4achitect has really been informative but from the above two responses there seems to be some conflict to the answers. from the first answer the cost of a 2 roomed mabati house is 60,000 without the foundation. to me this is really way cheap.
In the next response in your website you deduce that stone built houses are way cheaper per sq meter.
from my meager experience mabati houses are way cheaper than stone built houses but i am not an expert. from your expert opinion which of the two above is correct cost from ground up and return on investment?
a4architect.com
#25 Posted : Saturday, January 04, 2014 1:32:26 PM

@jokes, we are dealing with info written 5 years apart. 5 years ago, mabati was cheaper. Currently, its not.
In the 60k cost, we are not analysing cost of wall surface per m2.
In the recent analysis, it refers specifically to cost per m2 of wall surface.
Its like comparing apples to oranges.
Wall cost per m2 can also go into details to include supporting timber structure,labour,nails etc hence a different end figure.
jokes
#26 Posted : Monday, January 06, 2014 3:53:44 PM

therefore which is cheaper to build?
a4architect.com
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 07, 2014 9:23:48 AM

@jokes, stone house. New slums along kangundo road/chokaa area are now being constructed using stone as opposed to mabati coz stone is cheaper.
bennry
#28 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2016 1:16:49 PM

I think mabati houses are cheaper since there is no need for plastering?
Mukiri
#29 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 2:09:35 AM

bennry wrote:

Why are you arguing with an expert?

The logistics of getting the materials on site ie stone, sand, cement, kokoto et al is the cost driver here

Proverbs 19:21
obiero
#30 Posted : Friday, June 16, 2017 7:06:43 AM

Mukiri wrote:
bennry wrote:

The logistics of getting the materials on site ie stone, sand, cement, kokoto et al is the cost driver here

Its clear that mabati is cheaper and would get you up and running in a shorter span of time but would you classify that as a genuine asset, really.. You can't even equity release on those shacks plus they depreciate rapidly

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 15,750 ABP 6.45
Mukiri
#31 Posted : Saturday, June 24, 2017 10:36:02 AM

obiero wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
bennry wrote:

Its clear that mabati is cheaper and would get you up and running in a shorter span of time but would you classify that as a genuine asset, really.. You can't even equity release on those shacks plus they depreciate rapidly

I wish A4Architecht can give a breakdown.... I once saw one, and realized one cannot assume mabati to be cheaper. The only given, is that its quicker to put up.

Yes it is an asset. If only to genrate cash, so that you can put up your ideal setup. An Asset is classified as something that brings in money

Proverbs 19:21
kaka2za
#32 Posted : Monday, June 26, 2017 3:58:35 PM

Mukiri wrote:
obiero wrote:
Mukiri wrote:
bennry wrote:

I wish A4Architecht can give a breakdown.... I once saw one, and realized one cannot assume mabati to be cheaper. The only given, is that its quicker to put up.

Yes it is an asset. If only to genrate cash, so that you can put up your ideal setup. An Asset is classified as something that brings in money

...or saves you money.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
tinker
#33 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:27:51 PM

I live in a 'Gated community-like' estate near a fast growing town and
all my neighbors have well built single-use residential houses.
Recently, we heard one of the unoccupied plot was sold and to our surprise, the buyer has started building Mabati rental houses.

We have a welfare group in this estate and we have been discussing on what we would like to see in our estate, Mabati rental houses is a no no to all of us in this estate.

The area is not zoned or a registered 'Gated-community' and all plots are freehold.
You all know the cons of having a mabati rental houses in a neighborhood.

The developer seem to be a man of means as he drives a Prado when he come to inspect the site.

What options do we have to stop this developer and preserve our estate.

Your suggestions please.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
Swenani
#34 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 1:56:33 PM

tinker wrote:
Recently, we heard one of the unoccupied plot was sold and to our surprise, the buyer has started building Mabati rental houses.

We have a welfare group in this estate and we have been discussing on what we would like to see in our estate, Mabati rental houses is a no no to all of us in this estate.

The area is not zoned or a registered 'Gated-community' and all plots are freehold.

The developer seem to be a man of means as he drives a Prado when he come to inspect the site.

Your suggestions please.

If you people have an active resident association then petition your county government and NEMA
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
tinker
#35 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:37:02 PM

Swenani wrote:
tinker wrote:

Your suggestions please.

If you people have an active resident association then petition your county government and NEMA

Thanks @ Swenani, I will propose this to our association.
We do have active resident association, though not yet registered by registrar of society.

tinker
#36 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:39:03 PM

@ Mawinder,
Your input please.
Angelica _ann
#37 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 4:40:33 PM

tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
tinker wrote:

Your suggestions please.

We do have active resident association, though not yet registered by registrar of society.

Organize goons to choma & destroy the structures the moment one tenant is in to serve as an e.g. to the others.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
tinker
#38 Posted : Friday, January 11, 2019 6:49:53 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
tinker wrote:

Your suggestions please.

Organize goons to choma & destroy the structures the moment one tenant is in to serve as an e.g. to the others.

This is an option,..but may be it will be the last resort.
Invepreneur
#39 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:22:10 PM

tinker wrote:

Your suggestions please.

He probably wants to buy you out in the future. The whole lot of you.

Drive Down perceived value.

I am no expert. Arm chair analysis.

Technically you can't stop him. He's caught you in the backfooted. With no formal welfare.

Earth scorch approach still plays to his gallery

The hot stock is the one that everyone thinks that everyone else thinks....is the hot stock (Dixit & Nalebuff, 2008).
kaka2za
#40 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2019 7:30:39 PM

tinker wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:
tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
tinker wrote:
Recently, we heard one of the unoccupied plot was sold and to our surprise, the buyer has started building Mabati rental houses

Your suggestions please.

This is an option,..but may be it will be the last resort.

The mabati guys may respond in kind and burn your 'gated community'
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)