wazua Wed, May 15, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<12345>
USIU vs STRATH MBA
zamali
#41 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:35:00 AM

@ Mukiha,he he he...

May not be popular ...but during my days,JAB could force people into unpopular universities. I had a friend who had A of 95 but was pushed to Egerton for their computer science degree,he almost forfeited a chance for university education !

Zama za Kengen IPO.... zama za mali
mukiha
#42 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:13:00 AM

@zamali; it could have been because Egerton was the first Kenyan university in to offer degrees in computer science....in fact,by the time the first group graduated,UoN had not started one! they were still offering the post-grad-dip.

BTW zamali,what does your friend say about his experience at Egerton?

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
zamali
#43 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:41:00 PM

@ Mukiha

He does not have kind words for Egerton,they were always at home due to strikes..he completed studies in the US!

I wonder if Egerton have any 'hot cake' courses eg MBA etc. They HARDLY advertise unlike THE,JKUAT,KU,MOI,KEMU,CATHOLIC,DAYSTAR,USIU and others. I will enroll for an MBA at THE

mukiha
#44 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:36:00 PM

Ah;Yes; those were the days of one Japheth Kiptoon when the university used to go on strike virtually every month. One group completed their degrees in six years and nine months! And the university skipped a year without a graduating class.

One time,after a strike and students being chased home,Kiptoon commented at a senate meeting that 'this place is very nice when there are no students. You can work very well inpiece'!! What and idiot!

Since his departure,the place has improved significantly. I've heard that many head teachers prefer Egerton graduates because they have higher work ethics than the rest!

As far as advertising is concerned,can we say 'chema chajiuza'? Or is it that they have never figured the need for it?

Anyway,as I said earlier,I think there are something right!

Behind the gardens...Behind the wall...Under the tree (Including: Red...Dark Blue...Yellow)
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
Spendthrift
#45 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:16:00 PM

@ Mukiha,I can tell you went to Egerton.

Ama kweli,kila mwamba ngoma huvutia kwake. I wish you had taken a diploma in one university,undergrad in another,postgrad dip in a third,and your masters degree in yet another. Then you will be able to speak more 'correctly'.

I hate the excuse people use,ati 'I went to USIU because in public lunee bins,there are always strikes and people take ages to finish their studies'. This is bull crap. I survived two major strikes and still made it out of one lunee bin in four years. You should only talk like this if your KCSE slip indicates you actually qualified for entry into any of the many state universities around.

Everyday!
Obi 1 Kanobi
#46 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:43:00 PM

I was in Egerton,I liked it alot. I think all Universities should be detached from centres of population the way Eger was.

I also hope they stay away from the Commercial style business courses that are currently the in thing in Kenyan colleges. I believe they do have parrallel degree programmes mainly business admin and MBA in their Nakuru Town Campus.

I would like for them to concentrate on agricultural sciences which is what the college was set up to offer initially. This program set attracts alot of funding from International agencies and all they need to do is concentrate.

I recently visited their website and nearly puked. Looks like it was done in MS DOS. And while there,the Comp science studies they offered was in hardware engineering,no software engineering.

I've noticed the youth in particular coming in to a workplace with a completely outsized notion of their own value and importance... just a thinly-veiled arrogance. May be the credit crunch induced recession is whats needed to remind us all about the value of hard work.... By Anonymous
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
jitetee
#47 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 2:46:00 PM

@mukiha - Ambia wao bwana.

Remember 'sic donec'?

Time and chance happen to all.
Mkimwa
#48 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 5:39:00 PM

My thinking...
An MBA nowadays is just a paper,whether it is from UON,JKUAT,Strathmore,Egerton,JKUAT..e.t.c. What matters is the value addition to you as a person,i.e. the experience.

Strathmore: -
- Different way of learning,its not your normal lets go to class and listen to the lecturer as we take notes,pass the CAT,pass the Exam,write thesis. I think it stimulates your thinking along the way. i was told they learn based on case studies,e.t.c.
- Superior networking. see how the CEO or the HR director of company x thinks,if thats where you want to be. Interact with senior management,rub shoulders with them. Life has taught me that the best jobs,contracts,contacts,deals come as a result of networking.
-Cost is obviously an issue.

USIU:
- An engineer doing his MBA there tells me that their course is enriching. Divided opinion about whether the degrees can be bought using your money or using sex.. However,i know one lady who went to USIU,and because of her business acumen and skills,i would employ her anytime in my firm as a manager.

UON/JKUAT/MOI/Egerton.
- I went through 5 years of undergrad,and only met one or two lecturers who inspired/influenced my way of thinking totally. People i can look upto. People who are motivated,people who want to bring out the best in you. People i can have intelligent conversations with. that summarizes it for me about pubic universities.. if the person at the front does not inspire me,its a no no no.
- I would think the same lecturers teach at some private universities.. so maybe this argument may not hold water,lakini wacha ikae. once beaten twice shy.
-My sis was doing an MBA from JKUAT. I was thoroughly dissapointed with the experience she got.

VALUE:
What does the MBA add to me as a person besides that paper? By opting for that MBA,what have i really gained? Has it really changed me? Has it changed my way of thinking? why waste time where there is no value?

Sharpen your skills ready to compete in an ever demanding world.

And that is why am applying to go to MIT,and Stanford or Cambridge. God help me.
mukiha
#49 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 4:56:00 AM

For the avoidance of doubt,I feel compelled to state this categorically:

I DID NOT STUDY AT EGERTON.

@Spendthrift,Obi,jitetee: sorry to burst your bubble!!

@Obi; I have a friend with a name similar to your screen-name who used to teach there in 1990s... ama ni wewe?

@Mkimwa; the kind of MBA you are looking for,one that changes and challenges your thinking and your personality,the one that inspires you to greater things in life and business,other than just a promotion and a fatter salary...can be found at Leicester.

zamali
#50 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 5:06:00 AM

@ Mkimwa,quoting wikipedia ;

The MBA degree has since achieved worldwide recognition as a professional degree. Graduates of accredited MBA programs are well prepared to undertake advanced professional occupations in businesses,as well as in colleges and universities as instructors of business administration and management.

Any certificate is normally accepted as 'proof' of competence by an employer.

I have concluded that an MBA from any recognised university would do, choice (arranged by priority) will only be dictated by;

1. Finances ( If I can afford max Ksh 200,000 per year,I will opt for THE MBA..)

2. Geographical location ( if working in Nakuru,you wont attend Strath. Or you may prefer USIU because you live and work along Thika road...

3. Social factors. some people just go for MBA because a friend is attending classes there!

McReggae
#51 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 6:46:00 AM

Good discourse here,it's nice to realize we got people proud of where they've come from. Any day I'll be proud of 'THE'......kwanza when I remember when wadozi with the chums thought that through parralel their sons and y could di Stima,wengi wao walichomolewa kweli kweli!!!

Whenever I attend the Alumni parties at the Carnivore.......the people I meet there,seriously I dont need to do my MBA at Strath to network!!!!

PROUDLY 'THE' PRODUCT!!!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
jitetee
#52 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 8:21:00 AM

We could lose focus by taking things too personally.

It does not mean that if the Uni you attended is critiqued,you as a person should feel inadequate. You are not defending your personal reputation here. Only using your knowledge and experience to advise someone else. Kwa hivyo tuwachane na maneno ya - babangu ni mkubwa kuliko babako - etc etc.

The school you attended is important but your indvidual character will determine your destiny a great deal more. Case in point,I attended one of the most poorly rated high schools in Kenya but our graduating class set a performance record that,unfortunately,still stands 10+ years later. So I will not defend Egerton simply because I went there. It has its good but also has issues and in fact,I would not recommend it for a whole lot of people.

Every institution has strengths and weaknesses and your decision to attend must be informed by what your career objectives,budget and other unique circumstances are. Gladly alot of that has been covered by a number of posts. Lets keep it objective.

Time and chance happen to all.
the sage
#53 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 2:08:00 PM

Jitetee is right,I met some guy (real stoty) who inroduced me to his bosses we had one or two drinks but the dude makes more money than his boss by a factors of a prime number. If you go for an MBA just to go ahead in your career you'll never stop as you'll always look for another upgrade,kind of like the move from XP to Vista.

That is whu should I opt for one I will go for a fulltime one where all my concentration will be. Food for thought.
McReggae
#54 Posted : Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:25:00 AM

the sage,how do u make more than ua boss,unles u r talking of aside jobs n biashara of which u dont know wat his boss does aside,achana na mabeshte braggarts man!,u wanna do an MBA full time so that u can concentrate? Gud luck!

The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated.
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
masukuma
#55 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 11:07:00 AM

the problem with egerton is systemic,@obi,the website at egerton has never been a student project,we protested but they always find someone else to do it (or not do it). Egerton has some of the smartest Comp. Sci. fellows around.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
mozenrat
#56 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 11:33:00 AM

@Mkimwa..

I'm right behind you...

But I think I'll leave MIT out of it....

Former classmates who attended that college tell me that,althought it ranks highly amonngst biz schools,its not really considered a premier business school..

and that the most successful Silicon Valley businesses....

are built by Engineers from MIT merging with MBAs from Harvard Business School..

Main targets?? Wharton,HBS,Stanford,IESE...

God Help Us....
Mkimwa
#57 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2009 8:47:00 AM

@ Monzerat..

thought i was alone with my thinking..

what abt University of Cape Town? MJ - saf studied there..
CLK
#58 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 8:50:00 AM

Guess am one of the few who were not interested in the name of the university i joined but rather the course being offered,and for that reason when i discovered KU was offering something i wanted and the rest were not,i opted for that option.

Am sorry to whoever who is saying he hopes Andash was/is not in KU,reason being most of my calssmates work for the top companies,Safcom,Eabl,Erricson as Telco engineers and some with the top ISPs we dont earn peanuts but it doesnt mean some of our classmates failed,so wat matters is the individual,am sorry but only one of my highskul classmates joined THE,the rest who were admitted there opted for other Unis,reason being,they were not admitted into the courses they wanted.

Am not sure all the work-related cocktails and conferences i have attended they ask which University u attended,rather they ask the company u work for and wat u do there!!!!

Am not hating on THE or anything,but dont make the rest of us who didnt attend THE look like we are not as educated!!!

The real measure of your wealth is how much you'd be worth if you lost all your money. ~Author Unknown
carygoh
#59 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2009 7:30:00 AM

@all what do u think of kampala university,NOTE its different from Kampala international university,the former is the only one offerin credit management in kenya,are its degrees recognizd in kenya esp,if u want to pursue an MBA elsewhere.thankyou
Think Positive Test Negative
Sasha
#60 Posted : Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:07:00 AM

Anyone had any experience with the KIM Executive MBA? Or know someone who has gone through their EMBA? Any views or opinions?

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time!